• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

The General

Fort Rock, with all due respect, your optimism is out of touch with reality.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Fort Rock on January 31, 2011, 04:58:30 PM
Here's my 2nd prediction for the Art Bell Family Vault in Pahrump for 2011. There will be in the next 2 to 3 months a mass defection of non-Clear Channel owned Coast Stations to a new Art Bell Project Program. These stations will partner with high wattage power stations owned by CBS, Inc. or CBS News Affiliates. This plus KTNN, Window Rock, Navaho Nation! This is based on sources in Art Bell Chat Club sources, Portland, Oregon!
i REALLY WISH i could see closed circuit video of art's facial expressions as he reads this thread.

Merchant Gal

That "Mysterious ans Reassuring" thing on the FF is more or less a permanent fixture, updated in the past as and when Art appeared on C2C. 

It probably is being left up on purpose in case Art does ever contact the FF again, to let hm know that they still Care. 

Please do Not read anything into it; it is now just a marker.   

Somneone made the comment somewhere on this board about Snoory being more like a TV Shopping Host.  Those folks have in their contracts that if they leave the channel, they are unable to work for a competing shopping channel for a period of one year.    Art may very well indeed have a non-compete clause that he is waiting out.   I agree with whoever said it could be six months or a year.  Art waits, and we wait with him.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: 11angeleyes11 on January 31, 2011, 06:36:46 PM
I think you have Art's hair expression captured in your avatar.
minus the dead actresses and such.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Merchant Gal on January 31, 2011, 06:44:28 PM
Art may very well indeed have a non-compete clause that he is waiting out.
if this is the case, it should be interesting to see how insane the "art quits" thread becomes over the months as its participants develop tourette's syndrome, and my already existing tourette's gets better as a result of the pleasure i extract from the entertainment.

anagrammy

The non-compete clauses I worked with were always 18 months long.  I know--bummer.  But we are here for Michael's entertainment, if nothing else, so we can just hone our speculating and add embellishments to our faux scenarios while we wait for the Second Coming.  Actually, since I've lost count of the retirements, maybe this is the Fifth Coming?  We will all be completely driven mad by then by the cruel water torture voice of Linda Moulton Howe and her recent entry into the inter-dimensional time-traveling truth warp portal, after which she appeared in Cruella DeVille drag shouting for us to follow her into the desert outside of Pahrump to await the Second Coming of Christ.  Jesus is opening for Art Bell that night, when did Harold Campion say it was, ah yes, May 11, 2011. 

George Noory has dropped all pretense by then and has put his replies on a random board:

"Get ready for Conversations with Linda!"
"She's a highly respected world expert on crop circles."
"We are so fortunate to have her here with us tonight on Coast to Coast A>>M>>
"Linda Moulton Howe, our Coast to Coast reporter on ALL events of H I G H  strangeness"
"Linda Moulton Howe can be reached at Earthfiles.com where she keeps the occasional interesting photo that might be of interest to you and you will pay through the nose to see it unlike other guests who are required to post their photographic evidence on C2C, but THAT is an exception because, basically, she is a free host and is talking about data, and yes, it is becoming highly strange data such as "the entities communicated via binary, which the witness forgot to mention for 25 years...and also didn't mention that they explained their purpose on earth:  they are time travelers taking chromosomes to fix their mutant children.  They are us."

Did Linda read one of my posts suggesting she work toward a solution.  NOT WHAT I MEANT, Girlfriend.  I was thinking more like test a hypothesis, not run headlong into Dark Star. 

It's ok, I'm shaking it off.  I have mentally moved her from the column marked "Boring Data Collecting" to the column titled "Crazy Lady with Glassy Eyed Monotone" and will consider her a certified whacko.  They kill them, they end up in a dumpster, they convert to nutbags, I'm calling all red blooded American youth to go into science.  The attrition rate alone will guarantee you a job.

Anagrammy

b_dubb

@Ana ... you're the best!  do you think LMH could be a Mormon?  or perhaps a portal?

Quote from: california_ham on January 31, 2011, 11:47:24 AM
My speculation did not turn out to be correct.

Art Bell is not going to be the host of the new "5th Hour" show on the Glenn Beck Insider Extreme internet channel.

http://www.glennbeck.com/2011/01/31/s-e-cupp-to-host-new-show-on-insider-extreme/

"Glenn and company have teased a new show coming to Insider Extreme. Today, he unveiled the host of the new show, S.E. Cupp. She will host, “S.E. Cupp”, which will debut next Tuesday, February 8th, at 1pm ET."

The band Wire has an album called A Bell Is A Cup Until It Is Struck. Get it? It means that A. Bell iS. E. CUPp!!!!!!!  And that he will go on strike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anagrammy

Fort Rock - I get it!  You are asking us to step up to the plate and help you manifest Art BACK using mass consciousness positive thinking!

And form is immaterial since it will unfold in it's own form naturally, right.  Now, as our leader, you will need to select a night so we can all face Manila (and possibly tell us if that is right or left of our computers...) and beam our images over the Pacific.

Brilliant!

Anagrammy

b_dubb

Quote from: Michael V. on January 31, 2011, 06:49:21 PM
minus the dead actresses and such.

phil spector - what a fucking lunatic

ourobouros2k2

QuoteHere's my 2nd prediction for the Art Bell Family Vault in Pahrump for 2011. There will be in the next 2 to 3 months a mass defection of non-Clear Channel owned Coast Stations to a new Art Bell Project Program. These stations will partner with high wattage power stations owned by CBS, Inc. or CBS News Affiliates. This plus KTNN, Window Rock, Navaho Nation! This is based on sources in Art Bell Chat Club sources, Portland, Oregon!

Talk about 6 degrees of Art Bell. Although for this version it should probably be something more like 19.5 degrees..

Never a dull moment..

Andy

anagrammy

OT - Could SOMEBODY tell me why any woman would go home with that electrocuted pile of crap?

Don't say money, because you would still have to sleep with Fester.

Anagrammy

b_dubb

Quote from: anagrammy on January 31, 2011, 11:46:04 PM
OT - Could SOMEBODY tell me why any woman would go home with that electrocuted pile of crap?

Don't say money, because you would still have to sleep with Fester.

Anagrammy
@Ana ... imagine you're a former beauty queen who's around 40.  your dream of becoming an actress pretty much never had a chance because you don't really have any talent.  you're a hostess at a shitty restaurant.  a 'legendary record producer' comes in and makes your acquaintance. 

it becomes really plausible really fast.  especially when you consider there aren't a lot of retirement plans for restaurant hostesses

re: sleeping with Fester ... if he was REALLY drunk ... i'm sure there was some doubt that Fester even had the capacity for consciousness let alone a shot at sex

it's a sad story.  yet another cautionary tale about why chasing empty celebrity is a waste

tmock00

Quote from: valdez on January 31, 2011, 03:47:41 PM
     Its been up there forever.

Thanks!  After I thought about it for awhile. I kinda thought so, but wanted verification. 

Thanks everyone for jumping in and steering me in the right direction.  :-*

tmock00

Quote from: Fort Rock on January 31, 2011, 04:43:50 PM
Do you REALLY believe that Art Bell, with his knowledge of the industry would sign such a "non-compete" clause in his contract of such a length? Art would never sign such for more than 3 to 4 months! Nothing is standard when it comes to the mind of Art Bell in a matter like this! Remember Art is listed as Founding Executive Producer or Executive Producer Emertus, with special rights no other host could assume! Art would have never turned over the show to Mike Siegal or George Noory without some broad exemptions to traditional "non-compete" clauses! We've talked about Noory here and his incompetence, he's as damaging to this format of radio as any Radio Moscow, or Moscow Spy Numbers Station you wish to quote!

I am no Art Bell - in fact, I'm pretty much a nobody - but even I had to sign both a non-compete clause and a non-disclosure agreement in contracts when I sold one of my websites two years ago to a large entertainment corporation - and both were for 5 years.  I would not be surprised if Mr. Bell had to sign similar contracts and quite possibly for a much longer period.

anagrammy

Quote from: b_dubb on February 01, 2011, 12:22:30 AM
@Ana ... imagine you're a former beauty queen who's around 40.  your dream of becoming an actress pretty much never had a chance because you don't really have any talent.  you're a hostess at a shitty restaurant.  a 'legendary record producer' comes in and makes your acquaintance. 

it becomes really plausible really fast.  especially when you consider there aren't a lot of retirement plans for restaurant hostesses

re: sleeping with Fester ... if he was REALLY drunk ... i'm sure there was some doubt that Fester even had the capacity for consciousness let alone a shot at sex

it's a sad story.  yet another cautionary tale about why chasing empty celebrity is a waste

I totally agree, in fact, it's what I embroidered on my baby girls' bibs:  "A man is not a retirement plan."

Anagrammy

b_dubb

Quote from: anagrammy on February 01, 2011, 02:28:11 AM
I totally agree, in fact, it's what I embroidered on my baby girls' bibs:  "A man is not a retirement plan."

Anagrammy

pure wisdom

Quote from: tmock00 on February 01, 2011, 01:54:04 AM

I am no Art Bell - in fact, I'm pretty much a nobody - but even I had to sign both a non-compete clause and a non-disclosure agreement in contracts when I sold one of my websites two years ago to a large entertainment corporation - and both were for 5 years.  I would not be surprised if Mr. Bell had to sign similar contracts and quite possibly for a much longer period.

I've had to sign them too, but I think this is a bit of a red herring.  Non-competes are usually much more about intellectual property than they are about a person making a living in their trade, and certainly the courts have taken that view.  A hospital, for example, can make a surgeon sign a non-compete, saying that he/or she won't perform surgery if they leave the hospitals employ, but is not enforceable.  How else is the surgeon going to earn a living?  If the surgeon was employed to design some fancy new surgical procedure, he might not be able to take that procedure with him (ie: sell it to a new employer), but he sure as shit could be employed as a surgeon.  In your case, I'm sure you kept on building websites, but that you can't sell the IP from the previous ones to other entertainment corporations.

In the radio space, to the best of my admittedly limitted knowledge, there is very little about a given talk show (or music format, or whatever) that could be considered IP.  Heck, Dr. Laura was able to quit her syndicate and start up with XM within a few months, and she will be doing the exact same show.

RANT ALERT - I suppose it is to expected that a forum decicated to Coast to Coast and Art Bell would have it's fair share of conspiracy advocates (yeah, I'm looking at you, Fort Rock), but holy mackeral, how are we to expect that Art has a five year (or higher!!!!!!!!!) binding non-compete that prevents him from making a living in radio if he so choses?  Dr. Laura had none, Howard Stern had none, etc., etc.  But Art, you bet, he is legally prevented from being within a hundred feet of a working microphone for the rest of his natural born life.

Let's get a grip, people.

END RANT ALERT

Sorry for jumping down your throat TMOCK, it is not personal, and I like your posts.  But as Mike said, the thread jumped the shark a while ago, and your post was the straw that broke the Daddio's back. Peace be with you.

FortRock

Here's the deal, Conan O'Brian had no more that a 6-month non-compete with Jay Leno at a little TV Broadcast entity called NBC-TV! Also this is where Art's presence in Manila could help him. Any Non-Compete would have to be checked legally if it's legally enforceable on a broadcaster based in a sovereign foreign nation such as the Phillipines. Would such a Non-Compete be enforceable on local stations wishing to air such a program brought in by satellite from an overseas nation? At a certain point free-will enters the argument, as well as broadcasting in the Public Interest? Is it in the Public's Interest in the eyes of the FCC to deny important news information from a source, just because it's a techical violation of the broadcast host's employment contract? Remember Art has the spirit of a Pirate Broadcaster; remember his 8MHz Radiotelephone Band Backup Plan, and remember Art's use of the Government Agent Line open-lines shows of the 1990's. Nothing has changed in his heart, nothing has changed but the liberation of Geography!

Roger Knights

I've just finished reading this whole thread. It's the first time I've looked up anything on the net relating to Art Bell, but I was curious to know more about his disassociation from C2C after I heard Knapp mention it. Here are my reactions to a few comments I read here:

"No he [Noory] isn't from St. Lewis, born and raised in Detroit and Dearborn Hts. Michigan. His parents now live in Farmington Hills and his father was a Dentist."

Noory has said several times that his father worked for Ford and owned lots of Ford stock when he retired, which GN unsuccessfully attempted to get him to sell. (Maybe he was the company dentist?)

"Thirdly Art cannot allow any discussions which would cause listeners to question George Noory's belief in the End-Times, Book of Revelation type of faith as intellectually false."

Noory's said he's a Catholic, which would conflict with his being too far into that sort of stuff.

"It will always feel wierd to me Art found his current wife so quickly after Ramona died. His current wife must have been a mail-order bride."

He didn't find her, she found him. According to Art's recounting, she kept peppering him with cheer-up e-mails after hearing him talk about missing his wife. Then one of Art's buddies encouraged Art to respond to her, and facilitated their get-together in other ways.

=======================

Here's my 2 cents on what's going on. I've always suspected there were tensions between Art and station management, based on the following:

Mgt. fired Whitley Strieber from his Saturday show. Art's comment was that Mgt. had a political take on things that Whitley didn't fit in with. I could tell he was annoyed.

Mgt. dismissed some of his old-time associates from Medford. Art mentioned this in passing on-air, when he wished them best wishes, with a sort of my-hands-are-tied tone.

When Art made one of his returns, he announced that he'd gotten Mgt. to agree to cut back on the commercials, of which there were too many, he said. Subsequently no cut-back occurred.

There were a couple of other items that have slipped my mind at the moment.

MV/Liberace!

hey, roger.  great post, and welcome to the forums.

anagrammy

Yes, definitely welcome.  It's always nice when someone comes in with some facts to break up our wild speculations, specially since we are running on fumes now.

Tip o' The Hat to Ye

Anagrammy

anagrammy

Quote from: b_dubb on January 31, 2011, 11:03:35 PM
@Ana ... you're the best!  do you think LMH could be a Mormon?  or perhaps a portal?

Mmmm. After careful consideration, I think Linda Moulton Howe could possibly be a reptilian.  Now--don't throw out the idea just because it's, well, insane...consider the robotic voice, and sometimes I can hear those eyelids snapping over the radio.

She could also be a hybrid-- consider the evidence:  having been raised by aliens using telepathy, she has difficulty with normal vocal intonation (like deaf people sometimes do).  Didn't hear enough human speech growing up.  She uses complete sentences, no truncations, no contractions and often fails to use pronouns where a human would.

We have to be open to all possibilities, after all, we are Coast to Coast Listeners.

Or were.

Anagrammy

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: anagrammy on February 01, 2011, 08:59:12 PM
...specially since we are running on fumes now.
Isn't THAT the truth.

tmock00

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on February 01, 2011, 03:44:14 PM

Sorry for jumping down your throat TMOCK, it is not personal, and I like your posts.  But as Mike said, the thread jumped the shark a while ago, and your post was the straw that broke the Daddio's back. Peace be with you.

No harm done - I was simply trying to point out in my comment that every situation is different.

Yes - I still design websites and I'm still a writer and an editor of many, however, I am prevented from creating or owning any website which could be perceived to be in direct competition with the one I formerly owned.  That said, I need to be creative in the way I work around those issues until my contract expires in 2013, and depending on what I'm working on, some of the work I do is done using a pseudonym because after all, I still have to eat!  ;)

coastfan

I don't count on Art coming back to Coast, ever. I think he's probably had it with the show, and this time he probably really is winding down and wanting to devote more time to his family. As for coming back to Pahrump, did Airyn like it there? Are they willing to risk U.S. Immigration, again? Also, I think Anagrammy's theory about Art finally being through grieving for Ramona is plausible. She was a big part of the show behind the scenes.

Art has moved one.

Roger Knights

Here's a story today about Clear Channel placing its iHeartradio channel into auto dashboards, apparently via some form of satellite broadcasting.
http://seekingalpha.com/article/250383-clear-channel-s-folly

Frankly, I'd think Art would be looking for diversions from his family. How much 22 year old girl and 4 yr old daughter can a man take? All day long, morning noon and night??

Quote“Wet Leaves” is the translation of a word Japanese women have to describe retired, workaholic husbands who stick to them all day…just like wet leaves.

My first post; yee ha.

I can only say that I`ve listened to Art since the very beginning. I remember trying to tune his show in when it came over the mountains from Nevada on an old AM radio while standing mid watch on a San Diego Navy base back in the early 90`s. He was full of life and excited; you could tell it in his voice. I was hooked forever, and my life changed because of it.

Unfortunately, I detected changes in Art`s delivery and  enthusiasm over the years. In the end, he simply was going through the motions. I`m pretty sure he knew it, as well.

He won`t be back. He knows it`s time.

God bless, Art and his family. I hope he is happy. He changed the world.