• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

Quote from: themudking on January 12, 2011, 08:05:47 PM
If only Art could find a PORTAL!

That might be the problem...he did find one!

FortRock

Questions For The Skeptics:
Do you remember the last days of Mike Siegal's reign on Coast? Do you remember the dis-spirited Coast Fans in those last three or so months with no Art Bell hope in sight? This is a repeat period people! I talked late today with Kraig Kitchen's Secretary, who held the same position with Kraig in the Premire/Art Bell days. She said something very criptic to me, "I/We need to have hope, Art would never forget his fans, just by quitting"! This lady has been with Art many times. It's going to be when we least expect it!

fabucat

Thanks for the chuckles, guys.  We need Art back and as long as we keep this thread going, perhaps we will get what we want!

The General

Coast to Coast AM died with Ramona Bell.  Sorry Guys.

roy

Quote from: The General on January 12, 2011, 11:37:31 PM

So very, very true... :(

I love this thread and it almost made me register.  But its the streaming AB link that made me sign up!  I hope it is acceptable to put my comments in here - because I want to encourage others who stumble in here to enjoy the stream like me...

This is going to sound so lame, but I have actually stopped watching tv and have only been listening to the stream in itunes instead!  I AM SO GRATEFUL for whoever set this up!  I have been listening to ab since 92 or 93 when I was living in del mar ca and have followed the whole time since moving back to la.  I could write on and on about how awesome the stream is, but will only mention a few things:

1.  Anyone else listen and look at the date and think about where they were when that particular show was being aired?  Really brings back lots of memories.

2.  The commercials on kfi are so annoying and while listening to the stream I find myself annoyed every time art says, we need to take a break - THEN BOOM, NO BREAK, just straight to the show again!  SO COOL!

Anyway, THANKS EVERYONE for the great thread.  Please Art, COME BACK and ruin gn!  The show stinks.  And call it the ab show again!

Goodnight America,

roy

Quote from: The General on January 12, 2011, 11:37:31 PM
There is a lot of truth in your comment. The rhythm of C2C and Art Bell's momentum within the show certainly shifted after Ramona's unfortunate and unexpected departure.

This thread has/is evolving in the true spirit of how Art envisioned and built his radio legacy.  "Thank you callers". 

anagrammy

I like this thread because I WANT TO BELIEVE! 

There were actually two anti-Noory calls on 1/9, to my delight.  Whitley Streiber closed the show by saying firmly that Coast was still the best show of it's kind in America and then, after saying how much he enjoyed hosting, appended, "...and always will be!"

I'm curious if any of you have called in on a pretext and dissed GN?

Anagrammy

ourobouros2k2

Whitley's affirmation is hollow, what with all the affiliates coast has lost over the last year and a half. Since finding this forum and the many archives across the net of older coast shows with Art at the helm, I just cannot listen to the modern incarnation of the show anymore. I tried night before last, but didn't last 5 minutes into the ego stroking between Schwartz and Noory. It was that bad.

ArtBellFan

Quote from: anagrammy on January 13, 2011, 11:44:47 AM
I like this thread because I WANT TO BELIEVE! 

There were actually two anti-Noory calls on 1/9, to my delight.  Whitley Streiber closed the show by saying firmly that Coast was still the best show of it's kind in America and then, after saying how much he enjoyed hosting, appended, "...and always will be!"

I'm curious if any of you have called in on a pretext and dissed GN?

Anagrammy

I didn't listen to all of Whitley's show, would you please post what the anti-noory callers said.

Thank you

HAL 9000

Quote from: ArtBellFan on January 13, 2011, 01:33:42 PMI didn't listen to all of Whitley's show, would you please post what the anti-noory callers said. Thank you

I posted the call three days ago here:

http://www.coastgab.com/index.php/topic,3.msg31606.html#msg31606

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Fort Rock on January 12, 2011, 09:45:28 PM
Questions For The Skeptics:
Do you remember the last days of Mike Siegal's reign on Coast? Do you remember the dis-spirited Coast Fans in those last three or so months with no Art Bell hope in sight? This is a repeat period people! I talked late today with Kraig Kitchen's Secretary, who held the same position with Kraig in the Premire/Art Bell days. She said something very criptic to me, "I/We need to have hope, Art would never forget his fans, just by quitting"! This lady has been with Art many times. It's going to be when we least expect it!
fort rock... i don't care what kind of grief anyone gives you over what you're saying.  it's to be expected.

you've GOT to keep posting this stuff.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: HAL 9000 on January 13, 2011, 02:25:39 PM
I posted the call three days ago here:

http://www.coastgab.com/index.php/topic,3.msg31606.html#msg31606
but i think someone suggested in an earlier post that it was more than one caller.  anyone know for sure how many anti-snoors callers squeaked through?

HumanBeing

Quote from: ourobouros2k2 on January 13, 2011, 12:54:52 PM
Whitley's affirmation is hollow, what with all the affiliates coast has lost over the last year and a half. Since finding this forum and the many archives across the net of older coast shows with Art at the helm, I just cannot listen to the modern incarnation of the show anymore. I tried night before last, but didn't last 5 minutes into the ego stroking between Schwartz and Noory. It was that bad.

That is exactly about how long I listened haha...Schwartz had not been on the show for a nice while and his book came out the same day as the show so he was major sucking ass... and when he said he loved being on the show because Noory asked great questions.. and then Noory said it was because of a great guest  ::) .. I rolled over, after being comfy in bed, and quickly changed to a red ice radio show to drift off to sleep to.. I feared that listening to Noory and Schwartz much longer and they'd be full on phone sexing one another.

FortRock

To Michael V:
I will keep posting when I have information, and when I have serious hunches. I've tried emailing Art Bell several times, dead silence. I've tried calling Alan Corbeth at least 15 to 20 times using 2 seperate phone numbers, dead silence. Things are just a LITTLE TOO QUIET for George Noory's comfort. We're now getting calls on Coast about Art, a little earthshaking for George's comfort! In the Mike Siegal era we had a couple of months to go before Art came back. Now I think Art's Program will be controlled by HIM alone, regardless of the media conglomerate it's on! Do you hear crickets chirping? The silence? It's George's resume coming off the xerox machine!

The SILENCE! I wish this silence would quiet down a bit so I can sleep at night.

MV/Liberace!

i finally got an email response from art.  it is as follows:

Michael,
Thanks for your interest in my status with Coast to Coast AM.  Before I divulge any information, I'd like to ask that you acquire and send me nude pictures of any hot women living in your building.  No fatties.

Sincerely,
Art Bell
W6OBB

so, there you have it, everyone.  art's coming back!!!  yeaaaahhh!!!

<<high five>>

HAL 9000

Quote from: Fort Rock on January 13, 2011, 11:18:38 PMI've tried emailing Art Bell several times... I've tried calling Alan Corbeth at least 15 to 20 times using 2 seperate phone numbers...

Hmmm...

toxicmop

I always felt something shady happened with Ramona. She dies and then Art is suddenly with some Philippine girl. I dunno, after that whole situation I lost a lot of admiration for Art Bell cause it just felt so suspicious, and it didn't help that a lot of his recent shows were spent talking about Political things and almost talking down to anyone that disagreed. I didn't need to hear someone put me down for thinking Global Warming is a lie.

I'm not saying that Art killed his wife, but you know...

anagrammy

Thanks for bringing this up.  Severe grief causes a person to make impulsive decisions, one of the more common is to immediately move out of the house where all the memories are.  And it causes impaired judgment.  Having said that, most bereaved spouses feel like there's no point in living once the spouse has died.  The pain is unbearable--and when the spouse is young and the death is unexpected, it is excruciating.  You can't sleep, you can't eat, you are constantly nauseated and/or tuned out, staring.  A good day is one where you didn't break down in public.  You even feel like there's pressure on your chest, you wonder if your heart is actually broken. You can't breathe, you don't think you'll recover.  You are not functional--when my son died at age 29, I became somewhat functional after 3 months.

I imagine Art had some or all of these symptoms.  He had to find a fix and quick before he lost everything he built in the competitive radio business after all these years.   That would require an immediate and severe distraction.  A new bride and a new location would keep him busy enough to become functional--and a new baby in the mix is the best reason to keep going on day after day.

The Philippina bride makes sense to a man who can't take the time to date, pick a woman, get to know her-- he didn't have the luxury of time.  Far better to pick a young, malleable woman to whom an American wealthy celebrity would be hitting the jackpot.  To a man of Art's sophistication, hearing she is Catholic and from the Philippines would give him a complete picture of her culture and her POV re men. And she would want a family stat.

If it were my neighbor whose 45-year-old wife died suddenly and he left the country and acquired a new foreign bride immediately, I'd definitely be suspicious.  But Art is smart.  He saved himself and his career in radio with a few swift moves that he knew would make his Coast audience say wha?

Anagrammy

minnehan

Quote from: toxicmop on January 14, 2011, 01:05:18 AM

No, we don't know anything.  Nor do you.

Quote from: anagrammy on January 14, 2011, 01:29:14 AM
Thanks for bringing this up.  Severe grief causes a person to make impulsive decisions, one of the more common is to immediately move out of the house where all the memories are.  And it causes impaired judgment.  Having said that, most bereaved spouses feel like there's no point in living once the spouse has died.  The pain is unbearable--and when the spouse is young and the death is unexpected, it is excruciating.  You can't sleep, you can't eat, you are constantly nauseated and/or tuned out, staring.  A good day is one where you didn't break down in public.  You even feel like there's pressure on your chest, you wonder if your heart is actually broken. You can't breathe, you don't think you'll recover.  You are not functional--when my son died at age 29, I became somewhat functional after 3 months.

Anagrammy, once again a very thoughtful, insightful and well-measured post. All of what you said here rings true, and anyone who has experienced real personal tragedy can speak to this. It's not hard to imagine that Art was going though a turn similar to what you outlined here. Art stated a few times that he was severely depressed and had breakdowns on a few occasions, some of which were mentioned in this thread (the incident about bringing in his groceries comes to mind). I can see Art falling into a deep state because not only is his companion gone, he can't even do the day to day jobs that are needed to keep the household running smoothly. He also said that he had considered suicide, all of which point to severe depression in the wake of this unexpected tragedy. This guy was broken, and literally had the rug pulled out from underneath him in terms of his day to day life.

Also, very sorry to hear about your son's passing. Condolences and sympathies.

I imagine Art had some or all of these symptoms.  He had to find a fix and quick before he lost everything he built in the competitive radio business after all these years.   That would require an immediate and severe distraction.  A new bride and a new location would keep him busy enough to become functional--and a new baby in the mix is the best reason to keep going on day after day.
I can appreciate that people in bad situations are prone to make rash decisions. I really can't say whether or not Art made the right decision, no one can say that but him. However, we all likely agree that his sudden move was a shock to say the least. I don't think his choice was well thought out or well considered - but of course this is speculation from someone who knows nothing about the guy other than what I hear him say about himself on the radio. It seemed less like a coping mechanism and more like an impulsive decision. Listeners can be dismayed with what they hear and feel sympathy for him simultaneously which is, I suspect what happened. Hearing him break the news about his decision on air was something else. This kind of went like:
- hey I found someone on the internet through a friend, she's, what, 40 years younger
- oh yeah also yeah I went to the phillipenes and got married
- I'm planning on moving out there soon
- If anyone wants to buy my stuff here's everything I've got to sell...
If this were a personal friend I would have slapped the guy, poured a pitcher of beer over his head and told him to slow down! I don't think you can fault people for being suspicious of this turn of events or disapproving of those developments. Not that anyone really has the right to disagree with how you handle grief but I'm sure a lot of people hoped he would do it in a more (mature? Reasonable? Less impulsive?) kind of way.

The Philippina bride makes sense to a man who can't take the time to date, pick a woman, get to know her-- he didn't have the luxury of time.  Far better to pick a young, malleable woman to whom an American wealthy celebrity would be hitting the jackpot.  To a man of Art's sophistication, hearing she is Catholic and from the Philippines would give him a complete picture of her culture and her POV re men. And she would want a family stat.
At a later date I remember Art doing a show where he talked about how tough it was to have a baby at his age, why it is so rare and the difficulties with the situation. It did NOT sound like something that he had really planned out or that he was explicitly happy about the situation - again, these things are very complex and I'm sure there's more to say than he did. But from what I recall this was somewhat of an admission that "maybe I didn't think this through" though he never came out and used those words specifically of course.

If it were my neighbor whose 45-year-old wife died suddenly and he left the country and acquired a new foreign bride immediately, I'd definitely be suspicious. 
Well, someone has to live next to Art Bell, right? :)

But Art is smart.  He saved himself and his career in radio with a few swift moves that he knew would make his Coast audience say wha?
The upshot of my opinion is that I don't think this was a strategy for his career. He began to appear less and less on the radio after his marriage and the birth of his child, to the point where his appearances were the exception rather than the rule. Sadly his presence began to fade after Ramona's death. I suspect that Art was doing what was necessary of him and his radio shows after this time may have been simply going through the motions.

I don't think Art's message on his webcam was anything more than an admission of being sick of the BS he had to go through. Long live the hot air definitely says to me that he was going through some frustration with some aspect of the show. What that was will likely not be well known at this point. The 30 means this is Art riding off into the sunset.

The lack of response or terse comments from the C2C hosts haven't helped the speculation at all either.

FortRock

People, we should all know Art Bell better that we are! BUT I see we have some serious creative thinking occuring, WONDERFUL! Art would never ride into the sunset without allowing a fairwell show on Coast! He would never leave us gasping over 30's and Hot Air, unless forces beyond HIS control had gotten in the way. Clear Channel Forces = The Devastator of the Art Voice, he never said goodby to his listers, Art is MUCH to socially formalized to just walk away!

ourobouros2k2

True, but people change. Who knows the workings behind the scenes, he may just be that disgusted with it all. I would hope he would give his fans a better farewell message than the cryptic hamcam note, but in the end, he owes no one anything. He gave us many good years of quality programming. What can I say, I just hope it isn't the last.

Andy

valdez

Screwed up schedule due to the southern snow, driving my wife nuts, teaching the cat geometry, and finishing the Hitler Trilogy...

That was frigging hilarious Valdez and an instant classic. LONG LIVE GEORGE SNOORY! Not........

Quote from: toxicmop on January 14, 2011, 01:05:18 AM
I always felt something shady happened with Ramona. She dies and then Art is suddenly with some Philippine girl. I dunno, after that whole situation I lost a lot of admiration for Art Bell cause it just felt so suspicious, and it didn't help that a lot of his recent shows were spent talking about Political things and almost talking down to anyone that disagreed. I didn't need to hear someone put me down for thinking Global Warming is a lie.

Wow! Are you George Noory in disguise?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Agent : Orange on January 14, 2011, 03:13:01 AM
The lack of response or terse comments from the C2C hosts haven't helped the speculation at all either.
and to hell with the people (c2c hosts, producers, etc) at CC/Premiere for the lack of transparency in this matter.  i know i'm not the first to make this point, but here we have a show that purports its self to be some sort of a beacon of light upon an otherwise enshrouded truth.  wtf??  this has been george's whole fucking gimmick for how many years now?  and here we have a simple situation, art's purported departure... a subject of great interest to c2c listeners, about which they have direct and complete knowledge... and NONE OF THEM say a single meaningful word.  fuck the people working on c2c, both on air and behind the scenes, for failing to be transparent, open, and honest about something so obviously important to those who have listened to this show for so long.  it illustrates what hypocrites they are.  they spend night after night complaining about this conspiracy or that coverup... and meanwhile, THEY THEMSELVES are engaged in a conspiracy of silence!  wtf!!???  next time these people crack a mic and yammer on about someone lying to me or someone omitting facts, i will remember this situation... and i will view every subsequent word from their putrefied mouthes as a terd plopping into my drink, splashing red punch droplets onto my freshly pressed lapel. 

the ONLY excuse for this obfuscation would be legal in nature... and i doubt we'll ever find out if THAT'S even the case.  fuck "george noory sucks"... i'm moving on to "coast to coast am sucks."  why it took so long to get to that point, i have no idea. 

i'm evolving.

Quote from: Michael V. on January 14, 2011, 01:53:08 PM
and to hell with the people (c2c hosts, producers, etc) at CC/Premiere for the lack of transparency in this matter.  i know i'm not the first to make this point, but here we have a show that purports its self to be some sort of a beacon of light upon an otherwise enshrouded truth.  wtf??  this has been george's whole fucking gimmick for how many years now?  and here we have a simple situation, art's purported departure... a subject of great interest to c2c listeners, about which they have direct and complete knowledge... and NONE OF THEM say a single meaningful word.  fuck the people working on c2c, both on air and behind the scenes, for failing to be transparent, open, and honest about something so obviously important to those who have listened to this show for so long.  it illustrates what hypocrites they are.  they spend night after night complaining about this conspiracy or that coverup... and meanwhile, THEY THEMSELVES are engaged in a conspiracy of silence!  wtf!!???  next time these people crack a mic and yammer on about someone lying to me or someone omitting facts, i will remember this situation... and i will view every subsequent word from their putrefied mouthes as a terd plopping into my drink, splashing red punch droplets onto my freshly pressed lapel. 
the ONLY excuse for this obfuscation would be legal in nature... and i doubt we'll ever find out if THAT'S even the case.  fuck "george noory sucks"... i'm moving on to "coast to coast am sucks."  why it took so long to get to that point, i have no idea. 

i'm evolving.

All of this leads me to believe that Art is going to have himself a new gig. For what other reason would Premiere not say anything?

aquagoat

All of us who have enjoyed and respected Art for so long are maybe also the ones most likely to miss the obvious. It's simply this --- reading all this thread, and particularly the more recent thoughts dealing with Art's loss of Ramona, gives pause to wonder if perhaps Art is not 100 percent.  Perhaps the magnitude of the swirling events of his life that got him to this point has completely bewildered him.  When I read posts that speculate on his personal life, and the speed of the transition it took from Ramona's passing to the birth of Asia, it is not too far a stretch to picture a man who just wants to sit back and take stock of all that has transpired, and try to bring a sense of logic to all that has happened.
To be honest with all, I find myself not very comfortable when reading posts speculating on Art's mental state of mind that brought him through the last few years - but it certainly does make it clear that just maybe, there is a simpler, and sadder explanation for all that has happened.   That business about Achom (sp?) Razor comes to mind.  "Eliminating all other explanation, whatever we are left with, no matter how contentious, is the path to the truth."  (I know I've butchered the saying, please excuse).  The point is -- if Mr. Bell, with Christmas approaching and his life still not completely his own due to the well known immigration issues, and no stake in a meaningful showcase for his talents,  found himself taking stock of his current life and despite a strong will and brilliant mind, found himself in need of a serious "time out" and to hell with explanations.  When a period of depression is coming upon us, it is not like a light switch going off/on/off (although it can be) but rather it is a descending darkness that we know is there lurking for us, hunting our moves, slowly but surely taking the light from the sky
We see it coming, yet are powerless to stop it.  All we can do is cope as best we can, and for some, that coping comes in the form of withdrawl. 
Because we are all conspriacy nuts, we find it more believeable to project all manner of machinations onto this situation, when really, when all the "Snoory" hate and the Bell worship is stripped away -- it seems to me we are probably poking into a man's life at a time when he would best be served by us keeping him in our prayers, sending our love, and leave off the rest.    Let the man's life lead him wear it will,  accept we may never hear that voice on the airwaves again,  but leave off with anymore personal speculation.