• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The Official BellGab.com 9/11 Thread

Started by Max, April 16, 2008, 12:15:21 PM

fabucat

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on September 06, 2011, 01:35:48 PM
    "Now waddling toward the on-deck circle...pinch hitting...Alex Jones"

Imagine how that jackass would handle a 9/11 show.

It would be about as classy as having Christopher Hitchens be the keynote eulogist at the Pope's funeral.  And it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Just like George had on guests who said that Osama's death was a huge fraud on the night Obama announced that that evil fucker was dead.  "Classy" isn't the adjective that I'd use for Coast these days.

fabucat

Quote from: El Kragen on September 07, 2011, 02:45:31 PM
Doesn't he usually do the whole spiritual airy-fairy gimmick on the 9/11 anniversary show? I seem to remember him saying he wants to do something different from all the rest of the media on that day.

Maybe they'll allow some American Al Quada to host the show.  The US Islamists will claim that 9/11 was completely orchestrated by the Bush Administration and Israel.  We know that the Bush Administration was totally competent to pull off such dastardly deeds, because the Iraq War and the recovery after Hurricane Katrina were such brilliant successes!

fabucat

Quote from: HorrorReporter on September 06, 2011, 04:58:23 PM
I definitely expect conspiracy stuff the night of the anniversary.. But I still think none of the usual hosts will host and I just wonder if there are implications to the regulars being shunned that night...

I really dig your website.  It sounds like a lot of fun and laughs.  When my spirit needs to be uplifted, I'll definitely turn to this wonderful site:)

Morgus

Quote from: HorrorReporter on September 07, 2011, 06:02:39 PM
I still predict no Noory for 9/11's show. I still happen to think that's a pretty big deal for a big anniversary...
i betcha like he has done before for an anniversary that fell on the weekend, even if a weekend host does a show for it, Noory will do his own bit on the Friday before or Monday after - at least for the first hour or something.
He tries to steal a bit of the thunder on these events.

An early start, I know, but I was thinking about this a lot today.  Where were you on 9/11?  How much do you remember?  Has the passage of time changed your perspectives or thoughts?  I'm interested in reading people's thoughts. 

I remembed more than I thought I would.  Perhaps fitting for a discussion on this forum, I was driving to work listening to talk radio -- Howard Stern.  They mentioned an innocent-sounding story about a plane hitting the WTC, and it didn't seem like a big deal.  I'm guessing because they didn't have the immediate details, they assumed it was a wayward Sessna, and made a few jokes about it.  It quickly became clear that something bigger had happened, and Howard switched modes on a dime.  Several of his regulars who were near GZ called in with varying expressions of shock, rage, and fear.

When arriving at work, I thought about what to say to my classes that day.  I ended up saying nothing, because I had nothing.  After telling the class this so that they didn't think me callous, I plowed onward with the day's scheduled lecture.  The rest of the day, I pretty much gorged myself on TV news coverage until I couldn't keep my eyes open.

What are your thoughts?

(At the risk of being called a net nann-dude, can we please keep politics out of this thread?  Apologies to Michael and the forum if I am out of line in making this request.)

saab93driver

Replay a best of Art Bell from 9/11/01 and be done with it....

Word I'm getting is Wells.. JB for 9/11?!

saab93driver

Quote from: HorrorReporter on September 08, 2011, 06:57:52 PM
Word I'm getting is Wells.. JB for 9/11?!

That's what's on C2C website says. 

Award-winning investigative reporter with a track record for making sense of complex and little understood matters, Russ Baker, joins guest host John B. Wells (email) to discuss why so many unanswered questions linger about what exactly happened ten years ago on September 11th.

And on 9/10: 610pm PT: Art Bell - Somewhere in Time returns to September 11, 2001 when the terrible tragedy of the attacks in NYC occurred. Callers from around the world offered their prayers and concerns for the people of New York and the heroes who risked their lives climbing the towers

Scully

Quote from: saab93driver on September 08, 2011, 07:58:34 PM
That's what's on C2C website says. 

Award-winning investigative reporter with a track record for making sense of complex and little understood matters, Russ Baker, joins guest host John B. Wells (email) to discuss why so many unanswered questions linger about what exactly happened ten years ago on September 11th.

Well, that figures!

Horror Reporter, if you're right about the person who hosts this show being Premiere's new chosen one, Wells would be the one.  It's been posted on this forum before that he has already swallowed the whole stinky-fish Premiere agenda ... hook, line, and sinker.

Dum .. dum da dum .. dum da dum da dum da dum ...  :'(

"But my words, like silent raindrops fell.  And echoed, in the wells of silence."

Oh well.

Another mea culpa to the users of Coastgab for posting a topic of little interest.

McPhallus

I was on my way to my terrible job at evil Satan Farm headquarters and I heard the local radio schmucks talking about a plane hitting a building or something?

Got to my desk and heard the news.  The IT people were nice enough to set up a video feed from one of the cable news networks, which I watched for the rest of the day. 

Funny thing.... In the ensuing days, I heard from people I hadn't talked to in years.

Quote from: McPhallus on September 09, 2011, 04:11:36 PM
Funny thing.... In the ensuing days, I heard from people I hadn't talked to in years.

I experienced the same thing.  There's something about a perceived external threat to our safety, or an external source of fear, that binds people together for no logical reason.

I was at work.  The TV in our waiting room is right outside my office door.  I kept flashing back to grade school when they rolled a big TV into our class rooms to watch the JFK coverage.  In 1963, I realized how helpless adults were and never wanted to be one.  In 2001, I realized I had become one of those helpless adults anyway.  I couldn't get enough of the TV coverage.  I watched it all the time.

Afterward, I noticed people being so very helpful and polite.  For quite a while actually. 

b_dubb

I was in Dayton, OH. I woke up, loaded www.nytimes.com in my browser, reloaded it a few times, turned on TV, realized the unthinkable had happened and then drove to the blood bank to donate blood.

JustOneFix

I was sound asleep after having worked all night. My mother called, waking me up in the process and proceeded to tell me what was going on. I get up and walk out to the living room just in time to see one of the towers fall.

It was damn spooky seeing the paper hawkers with their "extra'' editions, the lack of air travel, ( I lived in the flight path of one of FL's largest airports). I stayed glued to the television until the time I had to go to work. In the Co. truck I listened to Phil Hendrie & Art Bell do their 9-11 shows. Very surreal time.

Eddie Coyle

I had one week of vacation time that summer and it began on 9/10. I went to bed around 7am on 9/11 cursing the "fake news" that was on CNN that morning...Michael Jordan's comeback,Gary Condit/Chandra Levy etc.

My brother woke me up just in time to see the second plane hit. I was basically glued to the TV for the next 72 hours. I didn't sleep until Friday morning. Two hours of sleep from Monday morning to Friday, and I hardly noticed.

Adding to the surrealistic quality...I live about 10 minutes from Logan Airport. Every day I take walks around a park on Boston Harbor and Logan is right across the bay. So every day I watch countless planes take off/land...but from 9/11 to 9/14 of course there was zero activity there. Very eerie,the silence was deafening. Knowing that two of the planes originated at Logan was also extremely surrealistic and sickening.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on September 09, 2011, 10:47:49 PM
         My brother woke me up just in time to see the second plane hit. I was basically glued to the TV for the next 72 hours. I didn't sleep until Friday morning. Two hours of sleep from Monday morning to Friday, and I hardly noticed.

This is exactly the pattern of sleeplessness that I vividly remember.  It wasn't so much a worried sleep, but just playing through all the possible scenarios that I would awake to the next day.  In itself, that was a silly and powerless gesture, because I couldn't do anything  in any scenario.

Adding to the surrealistic quality...I live about 10 minutes from Logan Airport. Every day I take walks around a park on Boston Harbor and Logan is right across the bay. So every day I watch countless planes take off/land...but from 9/11 to 9/14 of course there was zero activity there. Very eerie,the silence was deafening. Knowing that two of the planes originated at Logan was also extremely surrealistic and sickening.
[

I can't even imagine how that felt.  Why is it that silence weighs more than sound at these times?  Just... nothing.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Flaxen Hegemony on September 10, 2011, 12:16:44 AM
This is exactly the pattern of sleeplessness that I vividly remember.  It wasn't so much a worried sleep, but just playing through all the possible scenarios that I would awake to the next day.  In itself, that was a silly and powerless gesture, because I couldn't do anything  in any scenario.

I can't even imagine how that felt.  Why is it that silence weighs more than sound at these times?  Just... nothing.

I'm an insomniac to begin with...but I was so riveted and overstimulated, and certainly anxious that I really didn't even consider sleep. I kept thinking "what's next?" and expected something in Chicago,Houston or LA...genuinely shocked when it didn't occur.

I live on the final approach to Logan, there's probably 100-150 planes daily going over my house...but from 10am on 9/11 to that weekend, the only plane we saw was a solitary F-14 flying over on the morning of 9/12...and that freaked us out-it felt like "life during wartime" had begun.

Scully

I was at work.  A co-worker heard about the 1st plane and went down the hall telling us about it. We all shrugged and thought it was just a small plane that had clipped the building.  When the second one hit, the same person told us again, and some of us went to the meeting area where there was a tv. We knew how awful it was, and we wanted to keep watching.  Our boss wasn't such a wimp as to think gawking at a couple of plane crashes in NYC was merited. I live in the deep south, and lots of people here still don't accept NYC as an actual place.

By nearly noon the insurance agent who was scheduled to talk to us came in with pizzas to soften the blow of the decline of our coverage.  We ate and murmured amongst ourselves.

By 2 pm, someone must have told my boss that she was being disrespectful to this national tragedy, and she told us we could go home.  This was a non-profit organization, btw, we were not turning out strategic arms or anything of that nature.

My account is different from most.  People tend to believe that everyone reacts to something like 9/11 in the same way. They don't. I still hate that woman.

Frys Girl

I watched the video of the attacks on CNN in the school library that day. I was grateful to be alive and scared because the news kept saying "they're going to attack schools!"

I think the entire country had a post-traumatic stress as a result of 9-11. The culture of fear and anxiety following this event that still exists this event is dangerous and sad considering the size and power of this country vs. a handful of men who hijacked planes.

Lovely Bones

I had to be in the office for only an hour that morning (9 to 10 a.m.) and planned to work at home most of the day.  I was driving in when the first plane hit and heard the radio report.  Like so many others, I thought it must have been a small plane, a tragic accident.

It was quiet in the office that morning, no student traffic, and an hour later I went out to my car and turned on the radio as I pulled out, discovering that the world had changed in that brief hour.  I knew Mr. Lovely Bones was on the road that morning.  Called his cell and remember saying the words, "Do you know we're under attack?"  I felt like a character in a movie saying that line; it didn't feel real. 

A day or two later I had an email from an old college friend telling me that one of our mutual friends had been in the towers that morning at precisely the spot the second plane hit.  She didn't usually work there but had to make a presentation at the WTC once or twice yearly.

At the end of September, we drove to northern New York near the Canadian border.  Flags stretched along the highways and back roads for hundreds of miles. 

b_dubb

there's still a demand for blood. so if you can donate ... please make an effort. 

WOTR

I think that was one of the first days that I realized just how different from most other people I am. I was running a Cat D-6 with a radio a foot from my head all day and when they said the second tower was hit I just thought "Hmmm, so it's a terrorist attack."

I did the math instead of really thinking about lives. While the radio was saying that it "could" be 40 or 50 000 dead because that was the occupancy at peak times I did the math and decided to take a portion away because it was morning, divide that number by half (I assumed everybody in building #2 would have left) and take 1/3 of the remaining number as the number of people above where the plane hit to come up with my own estimate of 7000. During break while everybody was talking about their thoughts and feelings I was there saying the news was full of crap and talking about the numbers. I realized that was the wrong response.

On my way home I had to drive past the airport (it was probably around 9:00 MST.) I stopped to see if I could take a few people home with me for a few days because most people were not planning to be stranded and I have a couple of extra rooms. They would not let me park and nobody was outside waiting. I think that most people had already found hotels and accommodations in the previous 12 hours. When I got home I watched replays of the planes, the collapse and interviews. I could only bring myself to say it was horrible, but found myself unable to bring comfort to others while they were very sad, some with a tear in their eye.

I think 8 or 10 months later I did shed a tear... I don't recall why or what brought it about. Traveling through America a number of times over the next couple of years I found myself in a number of conversations with complete strangers and was amazed at impact it had on them regardless of how far away from NY or DC they were that day. I was eating in a truck stop and talking with a fellow who was on the road at the time of the attacks. He said he was terrified that day going through Kansas (or some other sparsely populated state) thinking that he might get bombed. Some people were angry and wanted to "nuke them all" and others were sad; very few questioned the wisdom or need for the wars. It was interesting to see on their faces and in their voices how that day impacted them.

Still don't really know what the actual impact was on America or the world. I recall laughing at the announcers during the days after the attacks. They promised me a "kinder, gentler America." They said that families were turning off the violence, that movies and shows would have to change format and even (I recall this one very well) that sales of scented candles were up meaning that people just wanted the simple things. A number of televised wars, people openly demanding torture and indefinite imprisonment of "illegal combatants", and shows every bit as violent (perhaps more so) than before has me thinking that in the end, as a society, we have learned as much from 9/11 as we did from WWII (which is to say very little.)

***I hope that the last paragraph didn't violate your request to skip the politics.  While not a left or right commentary, I realize that it does tread near the line.***

jinwicked

Ugh, I tune in for the first time in weeks for this. I have a headache.

Wells is just a gussied up Noory. Same shit, articulate package.

onan

Here is what I remember of that day. I had been at school, and was heading to work. It was a sunny day, had the windows down, enjoying the wind while driving down Capital Blvd. I had the radio on and was not really listening when I heard the words " a jet had crashed into the trade towers."

I didn't know what to think. An accident... dunno why but didn't think so.

I had to stop and get lunch before arriving at work. As I was turning off the radio the second jet was reported to have crashed into the towers. It was gut wrenching. Something was way wrong.

I really do not remember the timeline of the next few days, just some moments all jumbled together. But what I remember most and it still upsets me. The last part of my drive into work back then, took me through a rather well to do neighborhood "inside the beltline" of Raleigh. As I was driving past one home there was a man standing in his yard holding and waving an American flag... he was of middle eastern descent. I have always wondered, was he patriotic or afraid? probably both.

Scully

Quote from: jinwicked on September 12, 2011, 02:10:15 AM
... Wells is just a gussied up Noory. Same shit, articulate package.

Good description, Jin.  See the John B. Welles thread for others who share your view.  :)

Scully

Quote from: onan on September 12, 2011, 04:28:01 AM
... what I remember most and it still upsets me. The last part of my drive into work back then, took me through a rather well to do neighborhood "inside the beltline" of Raleigh. As I was driving past one home there was a man standing in his yard holding and waving an American flag... he was of middle eastern descent. I have always wondered, was he patriotic or afraid? probably both.

Wow.  Stunning image, Onan.

Falkie2013

;)
Is it too late to channel the spirits of either Long John Nebel or Ira Blue ?

If Snoory leaves, who would we get then ?

Punnett, who is even worse.

If they'd offer to have George Knapp take over that would be great.

And what happened to Art supposedly being a guest host from time to time and suddenly that stopped as well as the annual predictions shows.

We Coast listeners had something unique and something that will probably never happen again.

Viva Art !