• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Midnight In The Desert

Started by Falkie2013, December 12, 2015, 01:13:40 AM

bellNwhistle

Quote from: Sean92008 on May 04, 2018, 09:22:06 AM
Heather can't even make stuff up that will end up looking good for her... That tombstone better have some first-class shit on it, look like a master's thesis design for a fine art degree and better have lights and a goddamn disco ball Dancing Queen playing on an infinite loop, a ham radio broadcasting it along with loops of Art saying his call sign, all powered by a cold fusion reactor inside a Coke can and super glued shut.

It sounds amazing! Maybe you should have offered to design it.  8)

;D

jrnewman03

Quote from: SpookyTim on May 04, 2018, 08:07:20 AM
Hey guys this was per Keith...he gave me permission to post it here, and it explains the shifting (and then non-shifting) time slot:

We tried to put the show on at a time that would not inflict further conflict with George Noory, offering a non-competitive stance. (Can’t we all get along?) All the animosity towards  Coast and George was Art. We thought now was the time to mend those fences. When George thought we were still a conflict, we decided to go back to our original time frame. The fewer changes the better. That’s all that is. Not a wishy washy decision by the new host, but a failed attempt to mend fences with Coast.

Sooo are Coast and MITD on good terms now or back to their rivalry? I'm a little confused.

Quote from: ponyboysunset on May 04, 2018, 08:48:10 AM
This guy was banging so many of the chicks in his cult. I have listened to a lot of shows on him and read a couple of books. He was all about the poon.

Cult of Senda (Sendism) >

Bluejay

Quote from: DynamoHum on May 04, 2018, 09:22:13 AM
I believe Keith has said today KNYE is definitely going to run his MITD .... which tells us a lot about how Karen feels about Heather.

Roswells, Art

Quote from: mv on May 04, 2018, 03:25:43 AM
With MITD, I think Art simply didn't want to do the show any longer.  I don't even think it was his health, and I think the stalker story was designed to give his exit an "Art Bell flair" while saving face.  He miscalculated the public reaction to the plan.  Heather probably came close to mucking up his exit strategy (and complicating it) when she called the police.  If I'm correct, Art never called the police himself concerning the stalker matter.  Not once.

I think Art loved the attention and anticipation associated with coming back and the buildup toward that, but when it came to actually executing the grind, he would lose interest.  Art was a reeeeally fickle guy.

That reminds me of a book I read a while back that I picked up in at this place in Costa Rica (http://www.rockingjs.com/index.php/es/). The book literally fell apart as I read it. I suppose due to the sea air floating about while it sat there, waiting for someone to pick it up. It's the true story about a guy, I think his name was Don, who had decided to sail around the earth as a contestant against a few others that were doing the same thing. Most of the book was his build up to his sail, telling everyone about it, doing interviews, and designing the boat (badly). As the date to sail came closer and reality started to sink in he seemed to be very worried about his ability to pull it off and the seaworthiness of his sailing vessel but he already had invested a lot of money and more importantly, his ego into the endeavor. The new boat didn't seem like it could handle the job for which it was intended and it wasn't entirely ready yet by the time he set sail.

Set sail he does though with much fanfare. He ends up going in circles in one ocean, at first he is sending his location signals back to the interested parties, then eventually claims the device that sends out his location broke. It really goes downhill from there. He never comes back to shore. His boat is eventually found adrift with no one on board. All that is left is his writings. He had a diary not intended for the public that shows his failing mental health and another he wrote for the public.

Anyway, the similarities struck me when I read your post.

Also if anyone knows the name of the book I described I would love to know, I want to buy it, as depressing as it is.

FallenSeraph

Lying here with a migraine and listening to old Art shows on U7 Radio. Realizing this whole Heather thing, while entertaining as hell, is tragic and silly.

Keith, you have been a good and faithful servant, but you need to just pour gasoline on MITD and burn it down. We can all dance around the bonfire one last time for kicks. That show could be kind of painful even when Art hosted it.

Maybe in 10 years, Asia Bell will spring forth with amazing broadcasting talent and shock the hell out of all of us.

trust_no_one

Quote from: DynamoHum on May 04, 2018, 09:22:13 AM
I believe Keith has said today KNYE is definitely going to run his MITD .... which tells us a lot about how Karen feels about Heather.

If that's true it does say a lot.  We have to assume so much here given the lack of information and the credibility of those going on shit show "networks".

El Chorro

Quote from: SpookyTim on May 04, 2018, 08:07:20 AM
Hey guys this was per Keith...he gave me permission to post it here, and it explains the shifting (and then non-shifting) time slot:

We tried to put the show on at a time that would not inflict further conflict with George Noory, offering a non-competitive stance. (Can’t we all get along?) All the animosity towards  Coast and George was Art. We thought now was the time to mend those fences. When George thought we were still a conflict, we decided to go back to our original time frame. The fewer changes the better. That’s all that is. Not a wishy washy decision by the new host, but a failed attempt to mend fences with Coast.

My reading comprehension skills may be a bit rusty, but I've read this a few times and it doesn't make any sense. Shouldn't that be "When George thought we weren't still a conflict..."?

Roswells, Art

Quote from: mv on May 04, 2018, 03:33:12 AM
My understanding is he was two weeks away from a deal with Cumulus that would have immediately placed his show on a couple hundred stations.

I remember him saying something about that but he said he turned it down because he wanted to keep it small or something, not that he was about to sign a deal. Which in retrospect looks like he was about to quit and knew it*. I guess I'll have to listen to some MitD with Art shows to find the exact quote and time.

Which also means if he had already decided to put Wade in as the host then he knew she wasn't good enough for prime time, or more probably I guess he would get sued for quitting, right? Is that how it would work?

El Chorro

This tweet from Keith sounds kind of like the host is actually himself:

"I have landed a host, as to whether he’s viable will be your decision I suppose. Hope you’ll approve or at least give the guy a fighting chance. I got lucky he became available. Real lucky. I like him, a real normal person to deal with, not some diva."

FallenSeraph

Quote from: El Chorro on May 04, 2018, 10:03:50 AM

"I have landed a host, as to whether he’s viable will be your decision I suppose. Hope you’ll approve or at least give the guy a fighting chance. I got lucky he became available. Real lucky. I like him, a real normal person to deal with, not some diva."

Congratulations, Falkie!

ponyboysunset

That would be awesome.
Midnight in the Desert with Qeef Rolo!

Quote from: Roswells, Art on May 04, 2018, 09:48:34 AM
That reminds me of a book I read a while back that I picked up in at this place in Costa Rica (http://www.rockingjs.com/index.php/es/). The book literally fell apart as I read it. I suppose due to the sea air floating about while it sat there, waiting for someone to pick it up. It's the true story about a guy, I think his name was Don, who had decided to sail around the earth as a contestant against a few others that were doing the same thing. Most of the book was his build up to his sail, telling everyone about it, doing interviews, and designing the boat (badly). As the date to sail came closer and reality started to sink in he seemed to be very worried about his ability to pull it off and the seaworthiness of his sailing vessel but he already had invested a lot of money and more importantly, his ego into the endeavor. The new boat didn't seem like it could handle the job for which it was intended and it wasn't entirely ready yet by the time he set sail.

Set sail he does though with much fanfare. He ends up going in circles in one ocean, at first he is sending his location signals back to the interested parties, then eventually claims the device that sends out his location broke. It really goes downhill from there. He never comes back to shore. His boat is eventually found adrift with no one on board. All that is left is his writings. He had a diary not intended for the public that shows his failing mental health and another he wrote for the public.

Anyway, the similarities struck me when I read your post.

Also if anyone knows the name of the book I described I would love to know, I want to buy it, as depressing as it is.

Sounds like the Donald Crowhurst story.  Here is the wiki page....books are listed.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Crowhurst#In_popular_culture

El Chorro

Quote from: El Chorro on May 04, 2018, 09:57:07 AM
My reading comprehension skills may be a bit rusty, but I've read this a few times and it doesn't make any sense. Shouldn't that be "When George thought we weren't still a conflict..."?

Or does it mean "when George thought we were still a conflict, and changing the time slot wouldn't make him like us any better, we decided not to try to mend fences and so we left the time slot as it was." That makes some sense in the "failed attempt" context that ends the message, but it makes George sound like nothing but ending MITD altogether would make him happy. Yet he also blames Art for the conflict and makes George seem indifferent.

I like my earlier assumption better, but why call the result a "failed attempt"?

ponyboysunset

Some diva = HW & Art Bell?  :-X

Roswells, Art

Quote from: Billy Joe Mulgreavey on May 04, 2018, 10:23:55 AM
Sounds like the Donald Crowhurst story.  Here is the wiki page....books are listed.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Crowhurst#In_popular_culture

Thank you! Someone also PM'd me that page so thank you to him too. I just couldn't remember his name. Bellgabbers, I just want to give you all a big hug. I won't though because I'm sure I'd get murdered.

Looking at the wiki page the book I read was this one:

The Strange Last Voyage of Donald Crowhurst, Nicholas Tomalin and Ron Hall. First published January 1970.

It's funny, I can remember all the details of the story but not the title or his full name.

I should have guessed there would be other books about him. I might check them out. That story really stuck with me for a long time.

timebandit

I was really starting to fall in love with Heather.. it's so true, never meet your heros 😥

awguy

Quote from: Dr Who on May 04, 2018, 02:53:49 AM
I have always wondered this,do you all remember the second show when redacted co hosted with Art?Does anyone think that Maybe almost before it started Art had decided to bow out? And Heather even at that stage was trying to be introduced as Arts chosen one? Just asking.

I think Art knew in March of 2016 that he wasn't returning full time. I think this was around the time that Heather stopped talking about "Keeping the Chair Warm".

Plus, Heather's header image on her FB page "Heather Wade Midnight In The Desert" was posted about that time.

And with Keith's "The power is out in Parump" slip up, I say it's very possible Heather had been living in Art's guest house for at least a year but only officially bought the property recently.

Lilith

So...

definately not Lasha then?

Night Train

QuoteWith MITD, I think Art simply didn't want to do the show any longer.  I don't even think it was his health, and I think the stalker story was designed to give his exit an "Art Bell flair" while saving face.  He miscalculated the public reaction to the plan.  Heather probably came close to mucking up his exit strategy (and complicating it) when she called the police.  If I'm correct, Art never called the police himself concerning the stalker matter.  Not once.

I think Art loved the attention and anticipation associated with coming back and the buildup toward that, but when it came to actually executing the grind, he would lose interest.  Art was a reeeeally fickle guy.
Good save

I think you're right, especially after hearing Whitley Strieber's tribute to Art on C2C.  He said Art was suffering a lot due to COPD after 40 years of a 4 pack a day habit, and in the past few years had more than once expressed the wish to die and escape the pain.

When it first happened, I was so angry at Art at the obviously phony stalker story that I assumed the worst, that he had plotted to give the show to Heather Wade from the beginning, and I wondered if there weren't some sort of sexual relationship between the two. 

But now I think his real reason for quitting is just what you said - he hated being off the air, but had forgotten what a grind it was, and was in far worse physical shape than he had been ten years ago, and it soon became too much to handle.  But for whatever reason, he couldn't just come out and say that, so he invented the stalker story.

I'm still not convinced that he and Heather didn't have something going on, but I no longer believe he intentionally created MITD and all the ensuing drama just so he could hand the show off to her.

Of course, I could be wrong.

Lilith

albrecht

Quote from: Chocolate coated jackboot on May 04, 2018, 11:08:41 AM
She owes Keith 1/2 a garment steamer
WTF? Is that what the show is really like? Wow. Good for Keef that she bailed.

dsz

Yep, it does. And if it is I would say that will cause an even bigger Heather meltdown. Just a hunch.

ponyboysunset

Quote from: albrecht on May 04, 2018, 11:14:35 AM
WTF? Is that what the show is really like? Wow. Good for Keef that she bailed.
I can answer that, yes that's what it's like. Every once in a while my conscience kicks in and I am like I should go listen to some Heather because maybe I was wrong about her. NOPE NOT WRONG!  She SUCKS! If I were not at work I would do my best Heather Wade impression and upload it to youtube so you all could hear it. I can't even get past 10 minutes. The rise and fall of her voice is not fucking natural. It's like someone made some kind of fucked up computer program that doesn't understand how to read words. Oh and I finally figured out what her high pitched fake going into a crying fit sounded like. I believe catsmile called her a muppet. He was sooo right. Beaker, anyone? Oh hi (insert name) vocal range starts to sound like beaker. JFC the sniffing and lipsmacking. Serious question how in the hell did you all listen to this? I have headphones so I hear every nuance. I have never, ever heard MV or Curtis sound like they are licking their lips or have been doing lines of coke. FFS what a shit show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnT7pT6zCcA

dsz

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on May 04, 2018, 08:19:57 AM
Is the show going to be broadcast from a desert?

In a couple languages (which I can't pronounce) dessert is spelled desert, so as long as it originates from a desert or pastry shoppe it works.

aldousburbank

Quote from: dsz on May 04, 2018, 11:34:50 AM
In a couple languages (which I can't pronounce) dessert is spelled desert, so as long as it originates from a desert or pastry shoppe it works.

That's a great idea- Midnight In The Dessert

a is jump

Quote from: awguy on May 04, 2018, 11:04:35 AM
I think Art knew in March of 2016 that he wasn't returning full time. I think this was around the time that Heather stopped talking about "Keeping the Chair Warm".

Plus, Heather's header image on her FB page "Heather Wade Midnight In The Desert" was posted about that time.

And with Keith's "The power is out in Parump" slip up, I say it's very possible Heather had been living in Art's guest house for at least a year but only officially bought the property recently.

Heather must have moved to Pahrump on or around February 20th, 2016. She seemed to be using Art's rig by the show on the 22nd, which I think was described as the Telos system being somehow moved or forwarded to her place (Art could "flip a switch" and it would be functional back at his place). But the sound quality difference between her Feb 19th Open Lines show and her Feb 22nd interview with Michael Cremo is night and day.