• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

Value Of Pi

Quote from: Meatie Pie on April 27, 2016, 11:45:41 PM
The same way someone says Noory gets it and then later says he doesn't.

I don't think that's it. Art had a cash incentive to say that Noory gets it when he exited Premier. Later, he didn't apparently so he just took that pronouncement back, based on hearing the show. There's something in his personality that makes him susceptible to "the next big thing." Even if those next big things are as totally opposite as Trump and Obama are. Most people aren't that, uh, flexible.

Quote from: Value Of Pi on April 28, 2016, 12:53:28 AM
... There's something in his personality that makes him susceptible to "the next big thing." Even if those next big things are as totally opposite as Trump and Obama are. Most people aren't that, uh, flexible.

I think part of it is the thrill of the risk, and the hell with consequences.  (How often have we heard him say he's a 'risk taker'?)  There've been plenty of examples.  Obama and Trump.  The excitement of the runup and start of new shows, then getting bored before they've barely begun.  Marrying someone from overseas he's hardly met and barely knows.  Blatantly lying to your fans.  I think Ramona probably kept him in check for the most part.

Some decisions like that are going to work out by pure chance, but it's not a great way to choose someone to promote as the next president, someone the rest of us will have to live with as well.

Value Of Pi

Quote from: Paper*Boy on April 28, 2016, 01:06:38 AM
I think part of it is the thrill of the risk, and the hell with consequences.  (How often have we heard him say he's a 'risk taker'?)  There've been plenty of examples.  Obama and Trump.  The excitement of the runup and start of new shows, then getting bored before they've barely begun.  Marrying someone from overseas he's hardly met and barely knows.  Blatantly lying to your fans.  I think Ramona probably kept him in check for the most part.

Some decisions like that are going to work out by pure chance, but it's not a great way to choose someone to promote as the next president, someone the rest of us will have to live with as well.

Yeah, that seems about right, especially where the risk involves running like a rebel against the grain and being on the cutting edge ("And now for something completely different..."). And where taking the risk is less calculated and more impulsive, more emotional.

What's fascinating is that unlike most (?) people who want and need to identify in some way with the candidate and/or his/her beliefs, this seems very secondary to Art. He may be right that he is is a lot like Trump, but that I think is just a coincidence. (Art is a very different type than Obama but was equally enamored.)

So it's the act of taking the risk that he's drawn to more than the candidate he's voting for. And, as you say, the consequences of taking the risk are not what he's focused on either.

Hollow Man

QuoteJust an echo, I think. Amazing how much faith people profess to have in candidates for president, no matter how many times they've been disappointed in the past. In Art's case, we're talking very recent experience with Obama plus however many of his predecessors.

It is amazing, yes. He's not alone in that, though; alot of people pull that shit cycle after cycle. Art's thing with Obama was based on his disgust with Bush and the war and the fact that McCain was a neoconservative nutcase who picked a vapid Alaskan snow cunt for his VP. Alot of people thought like that. Art was hardly an outlier.

QuoteWhy not be a bit more guarded about it and say "I hope he's the guy"? People seem to love predicting that our savior has arrived when it's almost inevitable that they'll be proven wrong.

Yeah, I agree with that. I'm a cynical fuck, myself, so I'm definitely not in the business of searching for saviors. It's also just not in my nature to look for saviors. Art's not alone, though; alot of people, including very intelligent people, which he is, fall for that shit, or at least get pretty excited that this guy could be "The One". He's nothing special in that regard. Doesn't mean he's right, though.  ;)

ge30542

Quote from: MV on April 28, 2016, 12:04:32 AM
heh heh, I just noticed the way art positioned, "is he a racist?" in that post, it makes it appear as though he saying trump's lack of racism is a flaw.
Very astute observation, that's why you're MV.
All Hail MV, astutely observing life.

scottydawg

Just found this on imgur yesterday, seems it's not only us that's tired of Bobo!
[attachment id=1 msg=793728]

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Paper*Boy on April 28, 2016, 12:24:02 AM
Hilary in a cakewalk to the White House?  Yes, delightful.

Yeah, because Cruz has demonstrated such profound electability.

Art's "all in" on Trump because Trump "gets it"

3OctaveFart

Quote from: Value Of Pi on April 28, 2016, 12:53:28 AM
I don't think that's it. Art had a cash incentive to say that Noory gets it when he exited Premier. Later, he didn't apparently so he just took that pronouncement back, based on hearing the show. There's something in his personality that makes him susceptible to "the next big thing." Even if those next big things are as totally opposite as Trump and Obama are. Most people aren't that, uh, flexible.
I think this problem of Art's is synaptic. He can't tell how impulsive he's being.

People have the right to change their mind about things but he turns his opinion on a dime.

Would 47-year-old Bell have chosen a fan to carry on his abandoned program? I rather doubt it

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Meatie Pie on April 28, 2016, 09:00:32 AM
I think this problem of Art's is synaptic. He can't tell how impulsive he's being.

People have the right to change their mind about things but he turns his opinion on a dime.

Would 47-year-old Bell have chosen a fan to carry on his abandoned program? I rather doubt it

Might have if she was a twenty year old who wet her silkies at the mere mention of his name. Broadcasters have egos. Some have insatiable ones.

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on April 28, 2016, 09:22:27 AM
Might have if she was a twenty year old who wet her silkies at the mere mention of his name. Broadcasters have egos. Some have insatiable ones.

What about a 40 year old woman?

CornyCrow

Quote from: trostol on April 27, 2016, 07:58:05 PM
whats Art gonna do when his man Trump doesn't win
I cannot help but think back to his show 'The Apprentice' and how his employees seemed to kiss his butt and be fearful of offering an alternate opinion.  To me, that's a sign of a weak manager.  I don't like dictators or those who are so unsure of themselves that they must surround themselves with yes men. 

Both Trump and Hillary, among their own parties, have 57% UNfavorable voters.  That means over half of their voters are only voting for them because they dislike the other candidate more. 

I'll probably vote for whomever the Greens are running.   

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: rekcuf on April 28, 2016, 10:29:15 AM
What about a 40 year old woman?

Back when he was 47? Naaa. The age gap would be too narrow.

CornyCrow

Quote from: Paper*Boy on April 27, 2016, 10:35:22 PM
Of course he did.  He was gushing over Obama then the way he is over Trump now. 

I think Art is one of those people who think the more news they consume, the more informed they are, and end up being very easily manipulated.  I mean really, how else does a person strongly support Obama, and then Trump.
I don't think Trump is Conservative at all.  I think when he decided to get involved in politics the Republicans seemed, to him, to offer the easiest path for his success. 

Art probably wants someone to address the problems of the country and stop playing political games.  Obama, in the first election, was a fresh face and promising change.  Trump, in this round, is the fresh face promising change.  Art probably is just sick of the entrenched hacks.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Segundus on April 28, 2016, 10:53:08 AM
I cannot help but think back to his show 'The Apprentice' and how his employees seemed to kiss his butt and be fearful of offering an alternate opinion.  To me, that's a sign of a weak manager.  I don't like dictators or those who are so unsure of themselves that they must surround themselves with yes men. 

I once had a similar boss. Long story short I told him what everyone was thinking and he fired me four times in 20 minutes  :).. 30 minutes later we were in his office drinking a brew and him telling me he liked me because I didn't suck up to him.

CornyCrow

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on April 28, 2016, 11:04:08 AM
I once had a similar boss. Long story short I told him what everyone was thinking and he fired me four times in 20 minutes  :).. 30 minutes later we were in his office drinking a brew and him telling me he liked me because I didn't suck up to him.
You were lucky.  I've had good bosses who would solicit everyone's response before giving his own.  This was purposeful because he wanted honest opinions.   

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Segundus on April 28, 2016, 11:24:47 AM
You were lucky.  I've had good bosses who would solicit everyone's response before giving his own.  This was purposeful because he wanted honest opinions.   

I've worked with good people too. One who stood out was a director who some liked others couldn't stand. But everyone respected him. Absolutely the cream at what he could do, the best in the firm. His peers of 30 plus years in the industry said it, I was 25 and a minnow at the time.

albrecht

Quote from: Segundus on April 28, 2016, 10:53:08 AM

Both Trump and Hillary, among their own parties, have 57% UNfavorable voters.  That means over half of their voters are only voting for them because they dislike the other candidate more. 

I'll probably vote for whomever the Greens are running.
Vote Zoltan Istvan or vote John McAfee if you want some even more interesting times (or throw your vote away.) Certainly better than whoever the Greens came up with.....
http://www.bealibertarian.com/
http://www.zoltanistvan.com/

venix

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on April 28, 2016, 10:58:37 AM
Back when he was 47? Naaa. The age gap would be too narrow.

Yes but she was 15 at the time so ...

ItsOver

I got a laugh yesterday when someone said they'd vote for Satan over Hillary.  I'm not sure what this makes Trump.

John Boehner: Ted Cruz is 'Lucifer in the flesh'

Soylentblue

Quote from: bateman on April 27, 2016, 07:35:20 PM

I have no horse in this race because I am not from the US.

What I do see in Trump is a salesman who knows enough to tell his customers/voters anything and everything they want to hear to close the sale/deal.

In a way I look forward to the time if Trump were ever to be elected president as I am sure that it would be the longest four years ever until the next election.

In another way I hope and pray that he never gets elected as he reminds me of Adolf Hitler in the way he manipulates people by preying on their fears.

CornyCrow

Quote from: Soylentblue on April 28, 2016, 07:08:48 PM
I have no horse in this race because I am not from the US.

What I do see in Trump is a salesman who knows enough to tell his customers/voters anything and everything they want to hear to close the sale/deal.

In a way I look forward to the time if Trump were ever to be elected president as I am sure that it would be the longest four years ever until the next election.

In another way I hope and pray that he never gets elected as he reminds me of Adolf Hitler in the way he manipulates people by preying on their fears.
One of his wives said he used to fall asleep with an English translation of Hitler's speeches on his bedside table.  I think they sell that book on Amazon.  Trump may not be part of the establishment, but I see him as far from sincere.  The environment cannot vote, so he ignores it, while it is the biggest issue facing the world population at this time. 

zeebo

Quote from: Chocolate coated jackboot on April 28, 2016, 08:41:36 AM
Art's "all in" on Trump because Trump "gets it"

I think Art said on one of the first mitd shows, that people voting for Trump just wanted to "burn it all down".  Kind of a big u-turn in his view methinks.

Quote from: Segundus on April 28, 2016, 11:01:03 AM
I don't think Trump is Conservative at all...

He's not.  He's also nothing like Obama - other than both have been used by the media to drown out coverage of actual serious issues, and neither should be anywhere near the presidency.

Lol if you think Trump will be elected president. Hillary is more slippery than a bucket of Astroglide, seeing how she's still in the election despite all the skeletons in her closet (somewhat literally there, too). It'll be some major fun to see her get in. Won't be fun for Americans, I mean, but fun for the rest of the world. Get your race-baiters and minorities under control would be a good hedge against the civil unrest fermenting, but don't count on it.

ItsOver

Quote from: zeebo on April 28, 2016, 07:52:33 PM
I think Art said on one of the first mitd shows, that people voting for Trump just wanted to "burn it all down".  Kind of a big u-turn in his view methinks.
Not too surprising for somebody who burned down DM on Sirius and then MITD.

zeebo

Quote from: ItsOver on April 29, 2016, 01:26:08 AM
Not too surprising for somebody who burned down DM on Sirius and then MITD.

lol ..  he does kinda give the term 'creative destruction' a new meaning