• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

Quote from: Soylentblue on April 19, 2016, 05:59:40 PM
I think that it is the latter.

It's too easy to be yourself on social media and say/do things that are royally effed. Kinda like Art has done.

It's also what happens sometimes when a person thinks he's smarter than everyone else, but isn't

ge30542

Quote from: Segundus on April 19, 2016, 09:10:28 PM
That Y2k sham was really a low thing to do, and I think Ramona was his wife then.  I mean, trying to convince his gullible audience that the world was ending while shilling those CC emergency products and the freeze dried food, etc.  That was reprehensible.
Funny story. I listened for 3 years hearing Art and Gary North talk Y2K. I bought in totally. All I did was get batteries, radio, and some water, ( I wouldn't have made it had things crashed), so at 1030pm, 12/31/99, I turned on the TV to watch the end of the world, planes falling from the sky, the whole works. Well, coincidentally, at 1130pm, my DirecTV crapped out. "OMG I thought, it's started 30 minutes early!"
Turns out, DirecTV resumed an hour later, and all we had for Y2K was one friggin traffic signal in Tokyo went out.
Ha, joke was on me.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 19, 2016, 09:37:48 PM
I don't understand the butthurt over that. I still have a case of candles, but everything else I bought I either used up or made money off of. Silver was $6 an ounce and went up to $50 a few years back. Cha Ching. Gold was $270 an ounce and went up over $1600 a few years back. CHA Ching.

I did donate a couple of cases of canned food to the food shelter. My shortwave and FRS radios still work. I don't see the downside.

Of course, I had been a mainframe programmer for over 20 years at the time and was working for a company that was involved in a crapload of Y2K remediation efforts. In spite of everything we did, I was sure there were going to be more problems than there were.

That's because you're not accounting for the Titor factor  ;)

ge30542

Gravity, I know tonight's game hurt. Don't shave though, it could happen my friend.

jazmunda

Quote from: Paper*Boy on April 19, 2016, 09:55:47 PM

Art recovering after discovering Falkie is now his biggest fan

Jorch is gonna up the ante and ingest some nightshade to win him back.

WOTR

Quote from: jazmunda on April 19, 2016, 11:30:45 PM
Jorch is gonna up the ante and ingest some nightshade to win him back.
Nothing goes better than nightshade and mayo on a turkee sammich.

Aussie Dave

Get well soon Art.

cosmic hobo

Has there been any update from Art regarding his recent hospitalization?

GravitySucks

Quote from: cosmic hobo on April 20, 2016, 04:57:43 AM

Just that he is home and taking antibiotics and pain medication for colitis. I didn't hear an update last night.

CornyCrow

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 19, 2016, 09:37:48 PM
I don't understand the butthurt over that. I still have a case of candles, but everything else I bought I either used up or made money off of. Silver was $6 an ounce and went up to $50 a few years back. Cha Ching. Gold was $270 an ounce and went up over $1600 a few years back. CHA Ching.

I did donate a couple of cases of canned food to the food shelter. My shortwave and FRS radios still work. I don't see the downside.

Of course, I had been a mainframe programmer for over 20 years at the time and was working for a company that was involved in a crapload of Y2K remediation efforts. In spite of everything we did, I was sure there were going to be more problems than there were.
Yup.  I, too, was a mainframe programmer and knew various people in other companies.  Everyone was full steam ahead in making the mostly simple changes.  No one I knew thought it would be catostraphic.  Most companies had a handle on what they needed to do.  There was no reason at all for the public to panic. 

I just thought more of Art before he started pushing to make people afraid only to line his own coffers.  Every night, it was panicsville with him.  It's irresponsible and cheap, something a bottom-dweller does. 

CornyCrow

Quote from: ge30542 on April 19, 2016, 10:47:53 PM
Funny story. I listened for 3 years hearing Art and Gary North talk Y2K. I bought in totally. All I did was get batteries, radio, and some water, ( I wouldn't have made it had things crashed), so at 1030pm, 12/31/99, I turned on the TV to watch the end of the world, planes falling from the sky, the whole works. Well, coincidentally, at 1130pm, my DirecTV crapped out. "OMG I thought, it's started 30 minutes early!"
Turns out, DirecTV resumed an hour later, and all we had for Y2K was one friggin traffic signal in Tokyo went out.
Ha, joke was on me.
Sorry for your loss.
Seriously, if I did not know better, I would have been taken in at the time.  It was surreal, working all day with everything under control and that night hearing about what a lousy job we were doing by Art.  What bs he was peddling. 

GravitySucks

Quote from: Segundus on April 20, 2016, 06:28:42 AM
Sorry for your loss.
Seriously, if I did not know better, I would have been taken in at the time.  It was surreal, working all day with everything under control and that night hearing about what a lousy job we were doing by Art.  What bs he was peddling.

So, is that when you stopped listening to him?  If not, why not?

You apparently didn't work on anything involving real time control systems. If there was not so much hype and billions of dollars spent, there would have been some major infrastructure failures. As it turns out, more damage was incurred testing fixes than happened at midnight, but the potential was there. The biggest downside was that we created an entire generation of Indian programmers, and to this day, they are the most proficient COBOL programmers in the world.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 20, 2016, 06:35:24 AM
So, is that when you stopped listening to him?  If not, why not?

You apparently didn't work on anything involving real time control systems. If there was not so much hype and billions of dollars spent, there would have been some major infrastructure failures. As it turns out, more damage was incurred testing fixes than happened at midnight, but the potential was there. The biggest downside was that we created an entire generation of Indian programmers, and to this day, they are the most proficient COBOL programmers in the world.

I'm not a programmer, but I saw the immense measures taken by a major corporation to prevent Y2K issues. The human race dodged a bullet with that one.

GravitySucks

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on April 20, 2016, 09:05:35 AM
I'm not a programmer, but I saw the immense measures taken by a major corporation to prevent Y2K issues. The human race dodged a bullet with that one.

Here is the next one.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 20, 2016, 09:09:59 AM
Here is the next one.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem

Oh by that time we'll all be dead after a superintelligence spontaneously emerges from a quantum computer and kills us all with terminator robots.

GravitySucks

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on April 20, 2016, 09:17:09 AM
Oh by that time we'll all be dead after a superintelligence spontaneously emerges from a quantum computer and kills us all with terminator robots.

I hope they are not using 32 bit UNIX. cockroaches will rule the earth.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 20, 2016, 09:19:01 AM
I hope they are not using 32 bit UNIX. cockroaches will rule the earth.

As the terminators spread forth annihilating the human race in an orgy of death and destruction, they will be reminding us with friendly voices to upgrade to Windows 10.

73s

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on April 20, 2016, 09:35:02 AM
As the terminators spread forth annihilating the human race in an orgy of death and destruction, they will be reminding us with friendly voices to upgrade to Windows 10.

Those who successfully upgraded will be spared 😝

ItsOver

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on April 20, 2016, 09:35:02 AM
Hehe.  "Microsoft sucks!"

Philosopher

MV should change the name of this forum to "Post Art Bell Dystopia". 

..."an imaginary place where people lead dehumanized and often fearful lives."

bobo17

OK folks hear's the deal
I have decided to put the MEETING off for quite a while.
I think it is in the interest of Art to get better and not have to deal
with potentially a bunch of long time friends and in my case, very important people
advising him to fire Heather and go back to radio 5 days a weak

Art's health is more important than a radio show.

Please bare with me as i will reevalute this decison on a daily basis and update all.

Sorry to all the long time friends of Art who bought plane tickets and booked hotels
for the meeting,  maybe you can find something to do in the big city.

thanks for your understanding
Bobo

P.S.  if i do receive enough feedback from my fellow bellgabbers ...i may reconsider.
Please as always, post on this forum, as my inbox fills up so quickly do to my respect
from all the bellgabbers.  If you send me an inbox message, it may get lost in the volume
of posts or overlooked.

thanks again
bobo

PKaiser

Quote from: bobo17 on April 20, 2016, 11:23:37 AM
OK folks hear's the deal
with potentially a bunch of long time friends and in my case, very important people

Please bare with me as i will reevalute this decison on a daily basis and update all.

Sorry to all the long time friends of Art who bought plane tickets and booked hotels

Bobo

P.S.  if i do receive enough feedback from my fellow bellgabbers ...i may reconsider.
Please as always, post on this forum, as my inbox fills up so quickly do to my respect
from all the bellgabbers.  If you send me an inbox message, it may get lost in the volume
of posts or overlooked.

thanks again
bobo

Okay dodo, HERE'S the deal, and please BEAR with me while I rehash this again:

Art has said repeatedly he is never going back to five days a week on his (or her) MitD show. EVER. Whether he is well or not, he ain't coming back, no matter how unimportant you or your buddies are, so please stop taking up valuable bellgab space with your unimportant drivel, my thumbs tire of propelling my screen past your screeds (look that word up, dodo).

Man, are you as dim as you appear, or is this one big gag George?

Thanks again,

Phil

ItsOver

OK folks hear's the deal...

Please bare with me...

thanks again
bobo

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: PKaiser on April 20, 2016, 11:38:42 AM
Okay dodo, HERE'S the deal, and please BEAR with me while I rehash this again:

Art has said repeatedly he is never going back to five days a week on his (or her) MitD show. EVER. Whether he is well or not, he ain't coming back, no matter how unimportant you or your buddies are, so please stop taking up valuable bellgab space with your unimportant drivel, my thumbs tire of propelling my screen past your screeds (look that word up, dodo).

Man, are you as dim as you appear, or is this one big gag George?

Thanks again,

Phil

Hmmm. Trying to reason with yet another narcissist is akin to plaiting fog. Why try? He knows he knows jack shit.

MV/Liberace!

OK folks hear's the deal

Bobo

of posts or overlooked.

thanks again
bobo

you seem dumb.

OK folks hear's the deal

Bobo

of posts or overlooked.

thanks again
bobo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKvpTbwFim8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRE5mZveZGk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw_UJi9QAqQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_126Y5Uu8E

effluenza

Quote from: cosmic hobo on April 20, 2016, 04:57:43 AM

Apparently he's getting better everyday.  8)

cosmic hobo

Quote from: effluenza on April 20, 2016, 03:34:43 PM
Apparently he's getting better everyday.  8)

Nice one.

It's great to hear that Art is recovering.

ge30542

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 20, 2016, 05:01:16 AM
Just that he is home and taking antibiotics and pain medication for colitis. I didn't hear an update last night.
There is NO colitis! This is just another Art Bell ruse. Designed and implemented to garner sympathy.
#NoColitis