• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Richard Syrett

Started by muddel, July 28, 2009, 01:15:33 PM

Hah, accusing the host of rudeness?  Then saying yesterday, let's not sow paranoid seeds?  Needs to look up hypocrisy in the dictionary.  Oh yeah, then the ultimate primadonna move, the whole "do you know who I am" routine when he interrupted Syrett just to say for the thousandth time he worked with Cronkite (who before RCH I'd never heard of and had to look up).  Later name dropping his friend in some band that I'd also never heard of.  Yeah okie that's very impressive.  Of all his appearances on C2C yesterday was definitely the most unhinged I've heard him, kind of like listening to a hobo on a soapbox.  He wasted so much time blowing his own horn that he hardly talked about the alleged war on Mars that was the whole point of his appearance.

Nebraska888

Yes........Hoagland was definitely on his EGO TRAIN last night.  Syrett did a great job just hanging on and being respectful.

BattyBrooke

Quote from: Morgus on March 28, 2015, 01:58:46 AM
looks like time for a new server...

This had me so irritated. I had the best post about Syrett and his wife and melted wax and sex. Can't repost. The moment has passed.

WOTR

I'm pretty certain that there is some way to multiply or divide time by 19.5 to return to the moment when it felt necessary to make that post... 

***You may need to be in possession of an accutron watch for this to work.

Nick el Ass

Quote from: BattyBrooke on March 28, 2015, 11:58:57 AM
This had me so irritated. I had the best post about Syrett and his wife and melted wax and sex. Can't repost. The moment has passed.

I feel your pain, and had a few good ones that were ruined by BellGab taking forever like the time I logged out... and it took forever to get back in which makes me sad. Things are running much more smoothly now.

Great blog expat.  Coincidentally enough, less than 24 hours later, Hoagland is on again in this week's Somewhere in Time. 

Maybe I was a bit harsh on the guy earlier as I normally like to give guests the benefit of the doubt, but he was being so over-the-top douchey it was testing even my patience.  Listening to the SIT show, Art is pretty good at keeping him in line and maintaining his stream-of-consciousness digressions  to a minimum and actually kept him on topic. 

I give Syrett credit for keeping his cool yesterday, but he (and indeed most hosts even on other radio shows) should take note from Art on how to properly handle guests like this who would love nothing more than to boss the show and pull the alpha male act.

Nebraska888

Somewhere in Time 1996.....tonight....... with Art and Hoagland.......unbelievable.  Hoagland is an egomaniac.

Art does interrupt and "readjust" when necessary......

Quote from: 136 or 142 on March 28, 2015, 05:59:07 AM
Is that your own material, or is it taken from that Cheers episode?

Nice to hear Syrett played Dylan's "Visions of Johanna.", although the Live at Royal Albert Hall version is better than the studio recording.

I was wondering if anyone was going to catch the reference! Well done! So many classic, original, and "didn't see that coming" lines came out of that show. Genius. :)

pate

Rich, is done slipping you the dong?

Tha's meen...

Zetaspeak

Quote from: expat on March 28, 2015, 08:09:05 AM

I can't be arsed (as they say in London) to write it all again. Check the blog, though, for Mike Bara insisting that the Germanwings pilot was a moslem, and his brother Dave banning someone for disagreeing. What a sweet pair.

Just read your blog on the issue. Dave was so wrong. "Depressed people don't hurt others"?  Of course they do, it unfortunately does happens. We seen people after getting depressing news actually hurt their own family along with themselves.  We also heard of workers who have a meltdown and attack co-workers and even strangers. There's even an entire term for it, "Going postal".

That's really bad racism by Bara. When you turn a blind eye on reality just to you can disparage a particular religion and ignore that humanity as a whole can be pretty messed up no matter what their background is. In their minds always has to be "one" groups fault all of what goes wrong.

expat

There's really no hope for the Bara brothers. They personify the worst in American ignorance, xenophobia, homophobia, racism.

wr250

Quote from: expat on March 29, 2015, 09:42:35 AM
There's really no hope for the Bara brothers. They personify the worst in American ignorance, xenophobia, homophobia, racism.

yes, but do they own banjos and flintlock rifles?

SredniVashtar

I think Hoagland was a bit 'tired and emotional' for this interview. He wasn't exactly stumbling drunk but he sounded a bit slower than he normally does and it didn't take him long to get irritable - 'that doesn't impress you?'' - so he sounded like he wanted to take matters out into the car park from the beginning.

astroguy

Quote from: expat on March 29, 2015, 09:42:35 AM
The problem is that they have a platform where they have easy access to attempt to influence millions of people.

Nebraska888

Quote from: SredniVashtar on March 29, 2015, 09:56:40 AM
I think Hoagland was a bit 'tired and emotional' for this interview. He wasn't exactly stumbling drunk but he sounded a bit slower than he normally does and it didn't take him long to get irritable - 'that doesn't impress you?'' - so he sounded like he wanted to take matters out into the car park from the beginning.

Yes, and he turned away from the phone and coughed several times..........

AvDaBr

How is accusing someone of belonging to a certain religion racist?

SredniVashtar

Quote from: AvDaBr on March 29, 2015, 04:08:50 PM
How is accusing someone of belonging to a certain religion racist?

I don't know where to begin. I don't think you meant to phrase your question like that in the first place because 'accusing' someone of anything - let alone a religious belief - is prejudicial from the get go. If you are going to claim something, without any evidence to support it, then you have it coming. Bara was just rabble rousing.

AvDaBr

Quote from: SredniVashtar on March 29, 2015, 04:25:40 PM
I don't know where to begin. I don't think you meant to phrase your question like that in the first place because 'accusing' someone of anything - let alone a religious belief - is prejudicial from the get go. If you are going to claim something, without any evidence to support it, then you have it coming. Bara was just rabble rousing.

I meant precisely to word my question as it appeared.  These words are so overused as to be meaningless anyway, but at least overuse them correctly.  Racist refers to race, not religion.  We are all prejudiced in some form or fashion.  It doesn't follow that we are all racist.

SredniVashtar

OK, if you meant what you said then I will explain my point.

Bara is saying that Lubitz had to be a Muslim because he deliberately downed the plane - a claim that still has not been confirmed, by the way, as the investigation hasn't finished and they haven't found the other flight recorder. For 'Muslim' read 'Raghead' - they are all the same to him, and his view has nothing to do with religion but with the fear of 'the other', which is the foundation of racism. You can listen to someone like Sam Harris talk about Islam and feel that he is addressing aspects of the actual faith rather than yielding to a prejudice. To Bara they are just swarthy potential terrorists.

AvDaBr

I appreciate your point, and the coherent manner utilized expressing it.  I have heard Bara's name but know nothing of his work.  I will own up to my own prejudice and admit that the Muslim terrorism aspect came to mind early on.  When the pilot's name came out that subsided.  I know nothing of the pilot's background, and have grown to rarely fully trust the official word on these types of events anyway.   

Didn't mean to hijack the thread- okay that was uncalled for.

SredniVashtar

No, I think it's fair enough to question the idea, as people often use the accusation of racism as a way of shutting down a debate, but Bara was using 'Muslim' in the way another person would use 'Jew'. With Muslims and Jews the distinctions between race and religion get blurred, and most often people are not referring to either group in terms of their specific beliefs but what they represent to the general public, who are mostly ignorant of doctrinal distinctions. You could try and argue that the Holocaust was a religious persecution, but I think most people understand that it was a racial one. I don't think you could get away with saying, for instance, 'how does calling someone a Jew make me racist?'

Anyway, I just thought I would add that, as perhaps I didn't express myself clearly enough before.

expat

I admit I did use the epithet "racist" in a sloppy way. Try this instead:

On 10 September 2013, on Facebook, Mike Bara gave his opinion of President Obama: "A Kenyan douchebag impersonating an American speaking in phony platitudes."

SredniVashtar

The whole 'birther' thing seems to have faded away now, inevitably, like 9/11, but it was useful for being the best example I have seen of the conspiratorial mindset and how it thinks. Nothing you could have provided would have convinced one of those people that they were wrong. There was a strange man called Phil Berg who had devoted his life (such as it was) to 'exposing' Obama, but he was such an obvious loser that you could see quite easily that anything he attached his name to was guaranteed to fail. The trouble with all of these theories is that occasionally one of them might have some substance to it, but we have been so worn down by the time-wasters with their pet theories that we are too tired and bored to spot it.

Just listened to the last C2C with Hoagland.. I really love Syrett, I listen to his Conspiracy show as well.

Hoagland was such a prick! LMAO him having to deal with that , then the colloidal silver shills all calling in instead of real open lines for the last hour? Poor guy, next time I hope he gets a good guest.

expat

If anyone's still interested in what Hoagland described (too many times) as "my new book," I've now written it up.

http://dorkmission.blogspot.com/2015/03/report-on-what-richard-hoagland-has.html

Gassy Man

Ugh, Richard Syrett -- and off goes Coast to Coast.

paladin1991

Quote from: Gassy Man on April 04, 2015, 11:17:11 PM
Your feed of C2C is already running?  I don't know if you are lucky or screwed.  Here in the PRC we are listening to Bryan Suits and his show 'A secret dark hole', as a lead in to C2C.  C2C having been pushed back 2 hrs here.

Gassy Man

Quote from: paladin1991 on April 04, 2015, 11:38:46 PM
Your feed of C2C is already running?  I don't know if you are lucky or screwed.  Here in the PRC we are listening to Bryan Suits and his show 'A secret dark hole', as a lead in to C2C.  C2C having been pushed back 2 hrs here.
Yep, it started on time.  I could only take a few minutes and then had to tune it out.

zeebo

Quote from: Gassy Man on April 04, 2015, 11:17:11 PM

Syrett's ok imho, but these biblical topics are not for me, so same result - off. 

For me bumper music isn't a huge deal, but I'll just say this host has some interesting/eclectic bumpers ???