• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20151110 - Jim Elvidge - Digital Simulated Reality - Live Show Chat Thread

Started by jazmunda, November 10, 2015, 04:40:50 PM

Lilith

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on November 10, 2015, 11:47:03 PM
Good point. I just don't know if you could ever determine if you really have free will at all. You can't know that if you're an AI running a program.

Also, if we truly had free will, we should be able to choose to not have free will.

FLLFlash

Quote from: HiramPercyMaxim on November 10, 2015, 11:33:27 PM
Love Amy Martin's voice.  Really.

She's improved since she started. Less affected and the affectations that remain are bearable. She ditched the vocal fry. I understand she didn't have a lot of experience as a news reader and if that's true it's miraculous. I like her.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: brig on November 10, 2015, 11:49:04 PM
Also, if we truly had free will, we should be able to choose to not have free will.

That's an interesting take. So in other words, in some way, free will is forced upon us by nature.

jazmunda

Quote from: QuantumMystics on November 10, 2015, 11:42:57 PM
So then out of all the things that exist that could seem possible...but why would the simulation include aging and dying?
I'll wormhole Art about that one.
http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2014/05/age/

To make it seem real. Death is the ultimate fear inducing thing for everyone. Fear of death keeps most people in line.

Barfly

Quote from: maren on November 10, 2015, 11:47:08 PM
If you've got 10.5.6 you're not in dire need, right?   :)  It'll just be so nice to get a new toy.  Happy to hear you're 'ol standby is still delivering.
He has the old Motorola Power PC chip, he cant go up to10.6, that was Intel only.
I would never buy a Apple product personally, but i have worked and done some programming on some.

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on November 10, 2015, 11:44:59 PM
Entropy is a basic law of the universe. All aging and death is a result of entropy in the same way that stars burn out and die etc. It only means that time moves forward in the simulation.

the steam engine...haha, the cosmos is not a steam engine.

maren

Quote from: Spinner on November 10, 2015, 11:48:18 PM

Lucky you! I wish I could get a MacBook Air just because of the lighter weight, but I don't have the $$$. Thankfully, my old MacBook Pro is still doing great. Macs ARE wonderful.:)

I had a Pro -- loved it, natch, got the iPad version 2, pretty much started using that exclusively just because it was so easy and light, then got this and it practically FLOATS it's so lightweight!  Amazing.  But that's the beauty of Macs, we just want a new one, we rarely need one.  I always tell myself it's an "investment"  ;D

inuk2600

If we truly had free will, we should all be able to bite, chew, swallow, and enjoy a piece of felchie's poop. :o

Lilith

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on November 10, 2015, 11:50:45 PM
That's an interesting take. So in other words, in some way, free will is forced upon us by nature.

Yup, Oh the irony lol's

trostol

Quote from: maren on November 10, 2015, 11:51:48 PM
I had a Pro -- loved it, natch, got the iPad version 2, pretty much started using that exclusively just because it was so easy and light, then got this and it practically FLOATS it's so lightweight!  Amazing.  But that's the beauty of Macs, we just want a new one, we rarely need one.  I always tell myself it's an "investment"  ;D

macs suck..that is all

AppealPlay

Little boring right now.  How can Art work aliens or bigfoot into this?

Who says the simulation was designed around humans?  We might only be one outcome of a simulated physics packaged that was tweeked to create thinking organisms.  Perhaps one that the creators aren't even paying attention to.

Gumby, Dammit

Quote from: maren on November 10, 2015, 11:47:08 PM
If you've got 10.5.6 you're not in dire need, right?   :)  It'll just be so nice to get a new toy.  Happy to hear you're 'ol standby is still delivering.
I hear ya. New toys are good :)

JamesMcDonald

Or if we truly had free will we would Free Willy. I hate my sense of humor in case anyone is wondering.

norland2424

yea i rather not take the chance of it just being oblivion after we die

ZomZom

Greg Egan's book Diaspora has AIs living in artificial realities called polises, sort of a virtual reality holodeck that makes passing the time while star-hopping bearable.  Great book.

maren

Quote from: Barfly on November 10, 2015, 11:51:28 PM
He has the old Motorola Power PC chip, he cant go up to10.6, that was Intel only.
I would never buy a Apple product personally, but i have worked and done some programming on some.

Yeah, we all have our preferences.  Really, you can't go wrong no matter WHAT you have these days, we are more connected than we ever dreamed and if someone told us, never would have believed it. 

FLLFlash

Quote from: phrodo on November 10, 2015, 11:42:00 PM
The way she does her ...... phrasing ....... really bothers me because ... it doesn't seem natURAL. Her inflections are odd - and ... she puts special emPHASis -- on weird words. In weird places.

At least she can pronounce almost all the words correctly.

JamesMcDonald

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on November 10, 2015, 11:53:11 PM
Who says the simulation was designed around humans?  We might only be one outcome of a simulated physics packaged that was tweeked to create thinking organisms.  Perhaps one that the creators aren't even paying attention to.

Or maybe the original simulation was designed around dolphins or the other cetacea and we completely screwed it up by coming up on to the land and killing each other like savages.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: QuantumMystics on November 10, 2015, 11:51:45 PM
the steam engine...haha, the cosmos is not a steam engine.

Ha, they've actually tried to differentiate that lately. We now have multiple types of entropy, Gibbs, Von Neumann, Shannon, even corporate entropy.

Barfly

Quote from: norland2424 on November 10, 2015, 11:53:20 PM
yea i rather not take the chance of it just being oblivion after we die
I'm fine with oblivion, i welcome it actually.
i wont know when im dead..cus..well im dead!