• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20151110 - Jim Elvidge - Digital Simulated Reality - Live Show Chat Thread

Started by jazmunda, November 10, 2015, 04:40:50 PM

ZomZom

No consciousness without free will is an interesting new though to me.

phrodo

Quote from: Coffeeman on November 10, 2015, 11:38:06 PM
She sounds like a corpse.

The way she does her ...... phrasing ....... really bothers me because ... it doesn't seem natURAL. Her inflections are odd - and ... she puts special emPHASis -- on weird words. In weird places.

Quote from: jazmunda on November 10, 2015, 11:29:02 PM
What if we are all just simulations of simulations of simulations? Think Inception. We could all just be extras in one of Data and Geordie's holodeck programs.

So then out of all the things that exist that could seem possible...but why would the simulation include aging and dying?
I'll wormhole Art about that one.
http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2014/05/age/

Gumby, Dammit

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on November 10, 2015, 11:42:28 PM
I'm not sure I buy it.
It's a good conversational postulate though. We have will (free or not) therefor we are self aware; conscious.

JamesMcDonald

lol now that you mentioned Jeff Goldblum I can't get the image out of my mind. It's hilarious.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: QuantumMystics on November 10, 2015, 11:42:57 PM
So then out of all the things that exist that could seem possible...but why would the simulation include aging and dying?
I'll wormhole Art about that one.
http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2014/05/age/

Entropy is a basic law of the universe. All aging and death is a result of entropy in the same way that stars burn out and die etc. It only means that time moves forward in the simulation.

Lilith

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on November 10, 2015, 11:42:28 PM
I'm not sure I buy it.

I don't buy it.  Conscious, brainwashed people operate outside of their free will.

Gumby, Dammit

Quote from: JamesMcDonald on November 10, 2015, 11:44:07 PM
lol now that you mentioned Jeff Goldblum I can't get the image out of my mind. It's hilarious.
Lol. For reals...same here.

trostol

Quote from: JamesMcDonald on November 10, 2015, 11:44:07 PM

it's like real life Ian Malcolm

ZomZom

I'm liking this show.  Sort of like one of those late-night discussions with college roommates where everyone goes, 'whoa' every few minutes.

FLLFlash

Quote from: Barfly on November 10, 2015, 11:32:32 PM
I have been to Bahia Honda many times, its not that far and its a nice ride on the bike, i just take my dog to dog beach here in Key West, she doesn't travel well anymore.

I you need something I'm here.

trostol

Quote from: ZomZom on November 10, 2015, 11:45:30 PM
I'm liking this show.  Sort of like one of those late-night discussions with college roommates where everyone goes, 'whoa' every few minutes.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: brig on November 10, 2015, 11:45:04 PM

I don't buy it.  Conscious, brainwashed people operate outside of their free will.

Good point. I just don't know if you could ever determine if you really have free will at all. You can't know that if you're an AI running a program.

maren

Quote from: Gumby, Dammit on November 10, 2015, 11:35:33 PM
Thanks! I will check that out. I have a liquid cooled Quad 2.5 Ghz G5 in the studio, last run that they made them ten or so years ago. Still performs flawlessly with OS 10.5.6. But I'd like to upgrade soon.

If you've got 10.5.6 you're not in dire need, right?   :)  It'll just be so nice to get a new toy.  Happy to hear you're 'ol standby is still delivering. 

JamesMcDonald

When we did that it was because we were on magic mushrooms.

Ghost Nutter

Last night's show would have been better if he would have told us stories about investgating demons and such rather than talking about his relgion the entire time

Gumby, Dammit

Quote from: brig on November 10, 2015, 11:45:04 PM

Possibly? They have given up their free will (against their will or not), therefor they are outside the framework of the concept.

Spinner

Quote from: maren on November 10, 2015, 11:31:26 PM
Just got a new MacBook Air -- they keep getting better and better.  (I've been using macs for 15 years, and feel put upon when I have to use Windows at work).  Check out the refurbished ones on Apple's site -- still pricy, but a bit of a break.  My brother always gets them and has been absolutely happy.
Lucky you! I wish I could get a MacBook Air just because of the lighter weight, but I don't have the $$$. Thankfully, my old MacBook Pro is still doing great. Macs ARE wonderful.:)

maren

Haha!  I'm going to stop writing/reading and start listening -- I miss too much when I'm jawing away.

Barfly

Quote from: FLLFlash on November 10, 2015, 11:45:39 PM
I you need something I'm here.
I will be there this Saturday, going on a bike run up to Islamorada with some friends, we usually stop at Bahia Honda for a bit.