• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Midnight in the Diner: Tales from the Road

Started by WeinerInHand, November 22, 2018, 01:04:20 PM

WeinerInHand

Quote from: Metron2267 on December 12, 2018, 11:36:34 PM
That should work, if warm is the goal.

Manifold cooking on one of those big boys would not be advised.

The older drivers talk about it but with a truck stop every twenty miles, it seems like overkill.

WeinerInHand

I-440 East around Little Rock. 54F.

B - Double E - Double R-U-N. Beer Run!

Metron2267

Quote from: Enard P Farkwark on December 12, 2018, 11:31:24 PM
Nope. I actually like you weiner. You absolutely deserve better friends.

You're a worthless insect who shamelessly ingratiates himself with whomever you feel you can use to foment discord.

Metron2267

Quote from: WeinerInHand on December 12, 2018, 11:41:43 PM
The older drivers talk about it but with a truck stop every twenty miles, it seems like overkill.

Point taken. These are 4 wheeler fantasies - not meant for professional drivers. ::)

Metron2267

Quote from: WeinerInHand on December 13, 2018, 10:15:27 AM

Looks like the load was saved, takes talent to jacknife a gooseneck. :o

WeinerInHand

Quote from: Metron2267 on December 12, 2018, 04:19:01 PM
Right on, do drivers still despise JB Hunt?

I started off with Swift and I see JB Hunt as along those same lines -- get a year or two in and then move on!

WeinerInHand

Quote from: Metron2267 on December 13, 2018, 11:03:00 AM
Looks like the load was saved, takes talent to jacknife a gooseneck. :o

This was right after a curve and a heavy merge from the right. A lot of heavy rain so reduced visibility. I would guess speed as a factor.

The Arkansas River was looking awful full.

WeinerInHand

Quote from: Metron2267 on December 13, 2018, 11:01:53 AM
Point taken. These are 4 wheeler fantasies - not meant for professional drivers. ::)

Wasn't there a Volvo cookbook for those bugs and vans?

Lilith

Quote from: WeinerInHand on December 13, 2018, 10:15:27 AM

Free beer for everyone?

pate

Quote from: WeinerInHand on December 13, 2018, 01:22:25 PM
A Memphis Winter. 58F.

Does that town (West Memphis?) on the Arkansas side of the river still have that speed trap set up?  Where they drop the speed limit down to 35 or 45 ON THE HIGHWAY and hide the sign behind a tree or something?  I got nailed by that one time.  It is right before you cross the Mississippi.

Nice little operation they had going there, the cop explained that all you had to do was mail them a bigger check than the speeding fine (I think it was like $100 extra), and they would reduce it to a parking ticket, no moving violation, no points.   Dirty pool.  Brilliant, but dirty pool.

Here's a story that mentions it:  https://www.memphisflyer.com/backissues/issue396/cvrstory396.htm

WeinerInHand

I don't think that I've ever been through Gilmore.
Illinois is the worst state for nonsensical speed traps.

pate

Yeah the article talked a lot about Gilmore, but I was specifically referring to the West Memphis speedtrap.

Where I-40 & I-55 merge and on to the river, they drop the speed limit from 70 mph to 45 mph or something ridiculous, AND have the speed limit sign behind a tree or something where you really have to pay attention to notice it, and as I recall there was only like one sign with the lower speed limit.  And they target out of state people, my sister who lived in Memphis laughed about it and said that it was notorious, and was sorry that she didn't warn me about it...  This was in the mid 90s...

QuoteHowever, in 1994 the Jonesboro Sun reported more than 350 citations one month, 450 in another. In contrast, the city of Jonesboro, which has 148 times the population of Gilmore and which claims a longer portion of Highway 63, handed out 454 tickets. West Memphis police officers handed out just 245 tickets during that same period.

Apparently you made it through there without getting caught, or you noticed the one speed limit sign and slowed down.  OR they finally were made to stop doing the speed trap shenanigans.

WeinerInHand

It's up to 50mph. now but I've never had a problem.
I-40 west, when you cross the bridge into AR, there is a slow down for the scale but otherwise it seems pretty smooth.

Metron2267

Quote from: WeinerInHand on December 13, 2018, 01:17:46 PM
Wasn't there a Volvo cookbook for those bugs and vans?

Dunno, all I've seen is this:

Might have to see Ikea has that Volvo book in their Swedish meatballs space. ;)

(yeah I know - Danish company.

Metron2267

Quote from: pate on December 13, 2018, 02:22:20 PM
Does that town (West Memphis?) on the Arkansas side of the river still have that speed trap set up?  Where they drop the speed limit down to 35 or 45 ON THE HIGHWAY and hide the sign behind a tree or something?  I got nailed by that one time.  It is right before you cross the Mississippi.

Zounds!

So Bass Pro has taken over Schlenker's pyramid and become illumined?

Damn. :o

albrecht

Quote from: Metron2267 on December 13, 2018, 04:49:41 PM
Zounds!

BSP in pursuit of their global goals has bought out Cabela's and forced Ganger Mtn into bankruptcy and new ownership at auction. Illuminati  of the outdoor sports world bent on world domination?

Metron2267

Quote from: albrecht on December 13, 2018, 04:58:54 PM
BSP in pursuit of their global goals has bought out Cabela's and forced Ganger Mtn into bankruptcy and new ownership at auction. Illuminati  of the outdoor sports world bent on world domination?

Indeed, and Dicks bans weapons sales...then regrets it:

Dick's CEO updates on guns stance impact

Dick's comparable sales were down 3.9% in Q3/b]

WOTR

Quote from: Gd5150 on December 14, 2018, 12:18:56 AM
The guy at 4:40, hilarious!

https://youtu.be/EpAvYfkdmfI
Am I glad that was not the truck that I bought... I purchased a '73 Brockway in PA (no, I'm not going into the reasons why.)  Anyhow, I went to pick it up, and the guy told me that it was a 13 speed.  I tried shifting a few times and just could not figure out the transmission.  Then I counted. 

1-2-3-4-5.  That was all the gears and then there was an air split.  So, I would go through them, split and try to go back to the start.  It took awhile longer to figure out that there were 4 positions on the splitter.  "Ah, a 5-4."  Now this was WAY before my time, and I had no idea how to drive it.

Anyhow, a few more miles down the road and I finally went 1-2-3-4-5 then split 4-5, split 4-5 and split 4-5 to get to top speed.  It was a fun drive home (I had to avoid every scale.) I still don't know if that was the correct pattern (but from the one truck in this video- it looks likely that it was.  Besides, it worked.)

I don't think I ever would have caught onto the shift pattern that guy is attempting.

WeinerInHand

Quote from: Metron2267 on December 13, 2018, 04:49:41 PM
Zounds!

It has been the plan all along.

One fishing pole at a time...

Metron2267

LOL, gotta love those masons, always fishers of men... ::)

Then:

http://smartcitymemphis.blogspot.com/2007/07/if-sidney-shlenker-hadnt-existed-we.html

“Memphis’ all-purpose bogeyman Sidney Schlenker (sic), the smooth-talking chiseler from Denver who sold Memphis on The Pyramid, a rideless theme park on Mud Island, and predating a memorable episode of The Simpsons, a monorail.”

First off, Mr. Shlenker arrived on the scene after The Pyramid had already been championed by a number of local leaders, including financier John Tigrett, the politically-connected Lewis Donelson and others possessed by a dream for a signature building on the city’s riverfront. It was they, not Mr. Shlenker, who promised an arena for $39 million, “including the balloons at the opening,” as Mr. Tigrett once promised our mayors.

Second, it’s not as if Mr. Shlenker really conned anybody in Memphis. After all, Mr. Tigrett, well-respected Memphian and international tycoon, brought him in to develop the private attractions in The Pyramid and told the Shelby County Board of Commissioners and Memphis City Council that he personally vouched for him. He said Mr. Shlenker was the only person who could accomplish Memphis’ dreams of turning The Pyramid into a 365-day tourist destination in the Pinch District.
Jaws Of Victory

In the end, he lost everything at the precise moment when it appeared that success was finally at hand. By that time, he and Mr. Tigrett would no longer come to a meeting in City Hall at the same time. Only days after a letter of intent was delivered from French bank Société Générale, agreeing to provide Pyramid financing for the music attraction, the restaurant, the inclinator and the attraction at the apex, the offer was withdrawn when the bankers received a devastating letter from a Memphian whom they would not identify that caused the bank to question and summarily withdraw the loan.

And now:

https://www.businessinsider.com/bass-pro-shops-pyramid-photos-2018-7#the-lookout-features-finer-dining-fare-than-the-more-family-oriented-uncle-bucks-as-well-as-a-full-bar-and-yet-another-impressive-aquarium-24

Decent turnaround.

Heckuva capstone too:

https://www.big-cypress.com/dining/the-lookout-at-the-pyramid-en.html