• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Midnight in the Diner: Tales from the Road

Started by WeinerInHand, November 22, 2018, 01:04:20 PM

Metron2267

Just curious, where did the day find you and was it a good one?

WeinerInHand

I hope you had a good Christmas.
I drove over 500 miles on the 24th and so on the 25th I just grabbed a load out of East Saint Louis and drove about 50 miles north on I-55 to a Love's and shut down. The Mcdonalds there had triple stacked breakfast sandwiches, and let me tell you that if you haven't had one yet, do yourself the favor!

Man - it was almost spiritual! Two of those and a big jug of apple juice and I was down for the count.

Today was all business...

Throw in two drop and hooks, three fuel stops, and a trailer wash out -- it was a long day...

albrecht

Quote from: WeinerInHand on December 26, 2018, 08:53:46 PM
I drove over 500 miles on the 24th and so on the 25th I just grabbed a load out of East Saint Louis and drove about 50 miles north on I-55 to a Love's and shut down. The Mcdonalds there had triple stacked breakfast sandwiches, and let me tell you that if you haven't had one yet, do yourself the favor!

Man - it was almost spiritual! Two of those and a big jug of apple juice and I was down for the count.

Throw in two drop and hooks, three fuel stops, and a trailer wash out -- it was a long day...
Nice. Breakfast "all day" at McD's is the best thing ever. I really can't think of any other reason to go there besides the bfast menu so glad they did this.  That mileage looks crappy but I guess with large loads etc.  Did we ever figure out why diesel is more $ than regular? When, technically, it is far easier to crack and bring to market. I blame the low-sulphur and the various regulations (and, more importantly, market speculation.)

WeinerInHand

If you break 600 miles a day, hauling heavy, in a truck governed at 65 - you did good!
Yeah, the low sulpher bio deisel may play a part but I really never pay that much attention because I am a company driver and my employer foots the bill for fuel.
I'm not a fan of Mcd's or BK but those triple stacks will receive more of my attention, for shure!

chefist

I grew up near there...were you in Litchfield?

albrecht

Quote from: WeinerInHand on December 26, 2018, 09:07:32 PM
If you break 600 miles a day, hauling heavy, in a truck governed at 65 - you did good!
Yeah, the low sulpher bio deisel may play a part but I really never pay that much attention because I am a company driver and my employer foots the bill for fuel.
I'm not a fan of Mcd's or BK but those triple stacks will receive more of my attention, for shure!
"Smokey and the Bandit" was on, surprise surprise surprise, on TBS today. I guess they, finally, going back to when they were a good channel for the holidays?  Speaking of

WeinerInHand

Quote from: albrecht on December 26, 2018, 09:12:24 PM
"Smokey and the Bandit" was on, surprise surprise surprise, on TBS today. I guess they, finally, going back to when they were a good channel for the holidays?  Speaking of

When I'm in a hotel, TBS is about the only thing that I watch. If they don't have anything, then TNT, HIST, AMC ...one or two others but I can't remember.

Metron2267

Gotta test my sat. fat absorption capacities soon - this is like the McGriddle meets Big Mac - oh yeah!

Hey where you drive do you ever get a chance to eat in any of these:

Kicks ass on Arby's - 100% real beef, no loaf.

WeinerInHand

Quote from: Metron2267 on December 27, 2018, 01:27:49 PM
Gotta test my sat. fat absorption capacities soon - this is like the McGriddle meets Big Mac - oh yeah!

Hey where you drive do you ever get a chance to eat in any of these:

Kicks ass on Arby's - 100% real beef, no loaf.

They used to have them on the New York toll roads but the have been replaced by Carl Jr.'s.
Arby's is always welcome, along with Wendy's.

Metron2267

Quote from: WeinerInHand on December 27, 2018, 09:15:01 PM
They used to have them on the New York toll roads but the have been replaced by Carl Jr.'s.
Arby's is always welcome, along with Wendy's.

They had a Hardees ownership snafu for a time:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Rogers_Restaurants

1990: Hardee's[edit]
In 1990, Marriott sold the chain for $365 million to Hardee's, a Southern chain seeking further expansion into the Mid-Atlantic market. Hardee's converted the remaining non-franchised locations into Hardee's restaurants, although many of the converted Hardee's continued to offer Roy Rogers' fried chicken. The conversion of the Roy Rogers chain caused a customer revolt and the units returned the Roy Rogers brand.[32] The restaurants promoted new flame-broiled hamburgers, but they were not the same as the original Roy Rogers products and later failed.

Hardee's finally sold the remaining Roy Rogers locations to McDonald's, Wendy's and Boston Market between 1994 and 1996. This left 13 Roy Rogers franchisees, with two dozen free-standing locations, in addition to locations owned by HMSHost in travel plazas along highways in the Northeast.

2002: Plamondon Companies[edit]
In 1997, CKE Restaurants acquired Hardee's from Imasco, but Imasco retained the Roy Rogers trademark and franchise system, finally selling Roy Rogers to Plamondon Enterprises (now Plamondon Companies) in 2002, after three years of negotiation.[33] Roy Rogers was relaunched as Roy Rogers Franchise Company, LLC. Plamondon had already opened the first new Roy Rogers restaurant in Frederick, Maryland by Plamondon in 2000.[34][35]

Plamondon Companies, which opened its first franchised Roy Rogers restaurant in 1980, took the lead among franchisees in developing products, hosting training sessions and shooting new food photography for their stores. The company is run by Jim Plamondon and Peter Plamondon, Jr., the two sons of Peter Plamondon, Sr., head of the restaurant division at Marriott when the Roy Rogers brand was created. Based in Frederick, Maryland, Plamondon is a privately held company with revenues of $20 million in 2009.[36] As of 2017, Plamondon owns and operates 24 Roy Rogers Restaurants...

This answers a question I never asked, - yum!

Metron2267

Quote from: WeinerInHand on December 27, 2018, 09:17:51 PM
NW Arkansas. Ozark Mountains. 53F.

Love the lighting and composition in that shot!

WeinerInHand

Quote from: Metron2267 on December 28, 2018, 11:36:42 AM
Love the lighting and composition in that shot!

I'm really digging the camera on this S8!
An overlook of the pond that I shut down at last night.

albrecht

Quote from: Metron2267 on December 28, 2018, 11:36:20 AM
They had a Hardees ownership snafu for a time:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Rogers_Restaurants

1990: Hardee's[edit]
In 1990, Marriott sold the chain for $365 million to Hardee's, a Southern chain seeking further expansion into the Mid-Atlantic market. Hardee's converted the remaining non-franchised locations into Hardee's restaurants, although many of the converted Hardee's continued to offer Roy Rogers' fried chicken. The conversion of the Roy Rogers chain caused a customer revolt and the units returned the Roy Rogers brand.[32] The restaurants promoted new flame-broiled hamburgers, but they were not the same as the original Roy Rogers products and later failed.

Hardee's finally sold the remaining Roy Rogers locations to McDonald's, Wendy's and Boston Market between 1994 and 1996. This left 13 Roy Rogers franchisees, with two dozen free-standing locations, in addition to locations owned by HMSHost in travel plazas along highways in the Northeast.

2002: Plamondon Companies[edit]
In 1997, CKE Restaurants acquired Hardee's from Imasco, but Imasco retained the Roy Rogers trademark and franchise system, finally selling Roy Rogers to Plamondon Enterprises (now Plamondon Companies) in 2002, after three years of negotiation.[33] Roy Rogers was relaunched as Roy Rogers Franchise Company, LLC. Plamondon had already opened the first new Roy Rogers restaurant in Frederick, Maryland by Plamondon in 2000.[34][35]

Plamondon Companies, which opened its first franchised Roy Rogers restaurant in 1980, took the lead among franchisees in developing products, hosting training sessions and shooting new food photography for their stores. The company is run by Jim Plamondon and Peter Plamondon, Jr., the two sons of Peter Plamondon, Sr., head of the restaurant division at Marriott when the Roy Rogers brand was created. Based in Frederick, Maryland, Plamondon is a privately held company with revenues of $20 million in 2009.[36] As of 2017, Plamondon owns and operates 24 Roy Rogers Restaurants...

This answers a question I never asked, - yum!
I haven't had in quite a long time but I recall loving Roy Rodgers fried chicken! I also like because they are a "fixin's" bar for their burgers but, as I recall, were pretty much at the same price-point at worse chains like McDs, Wendy's, BK.   I recall also "Hot Shoppes" which was also a Marriot Branded cafe-type of restaurant that were awesome, I think I recall open-faced roast beef sandwiches? "Big Boy" all-u-can eat breakfasts were a staple also on weekends sometimes. Good chain of Marriot owned restaurants.

WeinerInHand

Roy's/Carl's/Hardee's -- I could never really tell much of a difference. Well, they beat Burger King. 😐

Metron2267

Quote from: WeinerInHand on December 28, 2018, 03:07:50 PM
Roy's/Carl's/Hardee's -- I could never really tell much of a difference. Well, they beat Burger King. 😐

Smokehouse brisket from Arbys is the real deal:

But that Roy Rogers beef is pretty special too:

Course if'n you get to Baltimore there's always:

And man that is some good eats!

I agree, BK blows ftmp... :-\

Metron2267

Quote from: WeinerInHand on December 28, 2018, 03:00:41 PM
I'm really digging the camera on this S8!
An overlook of the pond that I shut down at last night.

Oh lookie, you had a DEW attack too!

;D

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Metron2267 on December 28, 2018, 03:40:39 PM
Smokehouse brisket from Arbys is the real deal:

But that Roy Rogers beef is pretty special too:

Course if'n you get to Baltimore there's always:

And man that is some good eats!

I agree, BK blows ftmp... :-\

I don’t mind BK. Years ago I did a corprorate show for Arby’s and they were some of the biggest assholes I’ve ever had the displeasure of working for. Seriously, they were the worst!

Metron2267

Quote from: albrecht on December 28, 2018, 03:04:32 PM
I recall also "Hot Shoppes" which was also a Marriot Branded cafe-type of restaurant that were awesome, I think I recall open-faced roast beef sandwiches?

You recall right, they were the forerunner to Roy Rogers. .85c for a big old beef sammy - zounds!

Quote"Big Boy" all-u-can eat breakfasts were a staple also on weekends sometimes. Good chain of Marriot owned restaurants.

Few know their mascot escaped and became a politician:

WeinerInHand

Quote from: Metron2267 on December 28, 2018, 03:41:37 PM
Oh lookie, you had a DEW attack too!

;D

I was expecting to see something Lovecraftian but I didn't even hear a frog.

WeinerInHand

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on December 28, 2018, 03:43:13 PM
I don’t mind BK. Years ago I did a corprorate show for Arby’s and they were some of the biggest assholes I’ve ever had the displeasure of working for. Seriously, they were the worst!

I used to love BK when I was younger but the only thing I can use it for now is a powerful laxative!

albrecht

Quote from: Metron2267 on December 28, 2018, 03:53:44 PM
You recall right, they were the forerunner to Roy Rogers. .85c for a big old beef sammy - zounds!

Few know their mascot escaped and became a politician:

Ha.

At some point, maybe spun-off or changes in marketing and management, Big Boys (or some of them became "Bob's Big Boy") I seem to recall? I have to say when I travel now I rarely like to eat as much as I did as a kid. Especially when driving and trying to make time. But I loved those places as a kid/teen because you could get a good, solid meal. Open-faced sandwiches were the best. Like a Sunday Dinner or Thanksgiving all on one plate and ready to wolf down with gravy, depending on the meat or bird as to type. Great stuff. Cafes and trucker's joints used to be the best.

I think Marriots were Mormons? I recall some strange rumors about that and even also "deep state" such (though we didn't call it then but just said CIA etc?)

ItsOver

Quote from: WeinerInHand on December 28, 2018, 04:00:45 PM
I used to love BK when I was younger but the only thing I can use it for now is a powerful laxative!
I used to love this place when I was young.