• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Video Gaming

Started by trostol, December 20, 2015, 02:08:47 AM

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: zeebo on March 19, 2016, 09:18:37 PM
Awhile back I wanted to play some old PS1/2 titles on my old console and couldn't believe how expensive they were on ebay.  Like these games were some kind of rare artifact to behold!  I just wanted to play them, not friggin put them in some display case.  I think that's when I became a PC gamer.

At least with PS1 games there are some very good emulators available. You just have to load the ROMs in. I think it's also pretty easy to burn your own copies on CD too, if you have an actual system. Believe it or not I've never played a PS2 (or PS3, for that matter) game yet. I've seen a lot for both systems I wouldn't mind trying but I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I think because around this time games started becoming more epic adventures and how long it took one to finish a game started becoming a major selling point, sometimes to the exclusion of whether you were even having fun or not. I bought a used original xbox with a big stack of decent games for about $40 about 5 years ago because there were a few specific titles I wanted to check out and I new the stuff was going for super cheap then. I enjoy it but I don't really even try to finish the games, for the most part.

zeebo

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on March 19, 2016, 10:06:31 PM
..Believe it or not I've never played a PS2 (or PS3, for that matter) game yet. ...

The PS2 was prob my fave console, I don't know, it was just fun and simple.  Some of my faves on that one - Deus Ex, Vice City, Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3, Burnout Takedown. 

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: zeebo on March 19, 2016, 10:42:32 PM
The PS2 was prob my fave console, I don't know, it was just fun and simple.  Some of my faves on that one - Deus Ex, Vice City, Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3, Burnout Takedown.

It was the biggest selling video game console of all time. It just wasn't the right time for me with what was going on in my life at that time. I didn't buy another until the Wii. I have a couple different versions of Burnout though one on the PSP and one on the OG Xbox. One of my favorite, if not my absolute favorite racing game! The races are great but so is the game where you just try to cause the greatest destruction possible and are graded accordingly.  :P

I always thought the Yakuza series looked intriguing. I think the first couple/three games are on the PS2  ;)
Also check out Rez, if you haven't already.

trostol

this in a nutshell is kinda of whats wrong with generally everything these days

http://kotaku.com/blizzard-removing-overwatch-butt-pose-after-fan-complai-1767613551

Quote from: trostol on March 29, 2016, 11:52:20 AM
this in a nutshell is kinda of whats wrong with generally everything these days

http://kotaku.com/blizzard-removing-overwatch-butt-pose-after-fan-complai-1767613551

oh yeah? fuck blizzard!

welcome to Skyrim...(all wallpaper worthy)  ;D

8)

trostol

FF15 demo dropped tonight..gonna have to check it out

littlechris

Quote from: trostol on March 30, 2016, 10:57:36 PM

Oh crap!!! REALLY??????????

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: trostol on March 30, 2016, 10:57:36 PM

I think after 15 it's probably safe for them to drop Final from the title now.  ;)

Quote from: littlechris on March 30, 2016, 11:07:23 PM
Cool. Thanx trostol. There is live gamplay on YouTube at the moment.

https://youtu.be/0b6rK7XXcyI

Looks good, but I dislike having to collect stuff in games. It's monotonous.

I never understood why people have begged Square for a FF7 remake, although they are finally getting their wish. With all the buildup it will be impossible to live up to the hype.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: nooryisawesome on March 30, 2016, 11:32:48 PM
Looks good, but I dislike having to collect stuff in games. It's monotonous.

I never understood why people have begged Square for a FF7 remake, although they are finally getting their wish. With all the buildup it will be impossible to live up to the hype.

I'm not an RPG fan at all but the story arc to 7 seems pretty cool even to me. I think it was one of the first RPGs that people really connected with emotionally. I'd still like to try it one day but every time I think about reading a bunch of text in a game or indulging in turn-based combat I just sorta...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

:P

zeebo

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on March 30, 2016, 11:54:10 PM
I'm not an RPG fan at all but the story arc to 7 seems pretty cool even to me. ...

I played through it some years ago.  It mostly lived up to the acclaim, cool storyline/world/characters.  The battles were actually fun. 

Best thing for me though was the musical score which is fantastic, even in 16-bit.

I've always wanted to go back and try FF6 which I hear is great too, but never have.

albrecht

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on March 30, 2016, 11:54:10 PM
I'm not an RPG fan at all but the story arc to 7 seems pretty cool even to me. I think it was one of the first RPGs that people really connected with emotionally. I'd still like to try it one day but every time I think about reading a bunch of text in a game or indulging in turn-based combat I just sorta...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

:P
Thing that gets me is I don't like the whole "cloud" and "social" stuff about games now (and first person shooter for computer or phone I like more strategic or "Risk" style games. Or just card games.) Not that I don't like beating people at the arcade, or at home, on pinball or Galaga etc but I'm suspicious of the INTENT of the more "virtual" and linked-in games and "worlds." 

Quote from: zeebo on March 31, 2016, 12:04:42 AM
I played through it some years ago.  It mostly lived up to the acclaim, cool storyline/world/characters.  The battles were actually fun. 

Best thing for me though was the musical score which is fantastic, even in 16-bit.

I've always wanted to go back and try FF6 which I hear is great too, but never have.

I played it on the ps2 circa 2003 and enjoyed FF6. I miss turn based RPGS, now the only ones that get made are anime style, which isn't for me.

zeebo

I'm trying to break out of my Action/RPG rut so got some strategy games off gog/steam.  Previously I'd tried Civ3 but my damn citizens kept burning down all my towns mid-game. 

Now I shall try these and see how it goes:  Master of Orion (1 & 2), Alpha Centauri, Heroes of Might & Magic 3.  I feel like if I can just get over the learning curves they might be fun.  I think I'm more into turn-based ones so I can take my time plotting whilst sipping a brandy.

trostol

Quote from: zeebo on April 01, 2016, 02:36:23 PM
I'm trying to break out of my Action/RPG rut so got some strategy games off gog/steam.  Previously I'd tried Civ3 but my damn citizens kept burning down all my towns mid-game. 

Now I shall try these and see how it goes:  Master of Orion (1 & 2), Alpha Centauri, Heroes of Might & Magic 3.  I feel like if I can just get over the learning curves they might be fun.  I think I'm more into turn-based ones so I can take my time plotting whilst sipping a brandy.

you have 2 great ones there in Aphoa Centauri and HMM3..put loads of time into both..warning..AC is very much Civ on another planet..a bit more forgiving though

HumanBeing

Counter Strike: Global Offensive .. best shit ever!  8)

The Columbus MLG Major was fantastic!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxk8EEtaSaU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnaEoDDYuHA

zeebo

Quote from: trostol on April 01, 2016, 09:52:18 PM
you have 2 great ones there in Aphoa Centauri and HMM3..put loads of time into both..warning..AC is very much Civ on another planet..a bit more forgiving though

I've played a little HOMM3, and it's so far really fun.  I tried MOO1 and I'm getting killed on easiest difficultly and only 1 enemy, but I've read most the manual and am intrigued.  Alpha Centauri, ok, I'm intimidated.  Looks really cool but I may have to work up to that one.  In the meantime I'm starting a new playthrough of Fallout NV and trying Deus Ex HR as well.

trostol

Quote from: zeebo on April 04, 2016, 11:55:32 PM
I've played a little HOMM3, and it's so far really fun.  I tried MOO1 and I'm getting killed on easiest difficultly and only 1 enemy, but I've read most the manual and am intrigued.  Alpha Centauri, ok, I'm intimidated.  Looks really cool but I may have to work up to that one.  In the meantime I'm starting a new playthrough of Fallout NV and trying Deus Ex HR as well.

Alpha is probably my fave strat game ever..it takes a bit but you will get the hang of it and before long crushing all those other..factions

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: zeebo on March 19, 2016, 09:18:37 PM
Awhile back I wanted to play some old PS1/2 titles on my old console and couldn't believe how expensive they were on ebay.  Like these games were some kind of rare artifact to behold!  I just wanted to play them, not friggin put them in some display case.  I think that's when I became a PC gamer.

http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/ps2/  ;)

zeebo

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on April 05, 2016, 12:26:15 AM
http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/ps2/  ;)

I've fiddled with some of those emulators, but some ROMs don't work right.  I tried AstroBlaster on MAME and all the goofy sounds were missing.  Tried Xevious and couldn't get that to work either. 

Also for the consoles like NES/PS2 I miss the controllers.  There's probably a workaround I'm missing. 

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: zeebo on April 05, 2016, 01:22:31 AM
I've fiddled with some of those emulators, but some ROMs don't work right.  I tried AstroBlaster on MAME and all the goofy sounds were missing.  Tried Xevious and couldn't get that to work either. 

Also for the consoles like NES/PS2 I miss the controllers.  There's probably a workaround I'm missing.

Weird, I never have any problem for most of the games up till about the mid to late 90s. Some arcade ROMs require that you put sound sample files in the appropriate folder. Astro Blaster might be one. I can't remember. Here is a site where you can check: http://samples.mameworld.info/ If you have bluetooth on your computer you can use a PS3 controller. That's what I do. Most PS1 games emulate at or near 100% but I haven't been able to get PS2 to work yet. I assume that most PCs these days probably have higher specs than my MacMini.

zeebo

I was able to get FF6 to work pretty well, just using keyboard.  There'll be some wrinkles with emu's.  Worth it though to play some of the classics if you don't want to deal with cost/hassle of old consoles.  Some don't translate at all though, like Marble Madness which had special controls. 

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: zeebo on April 05, 2016, 02:00:29 AM
I was able to get FF6 to work pretty well, just using keyboard.  There'll be some wrinkles with emu's.  Worth it though to play some of the classics if you don't want to deal with cost/hassle of old consoles.  Some don't translate at all though, like Marble Madness which had special controls.

Right. Trackball and spinner games never translate too well to standard controls. You could play a light gun game with a mouse but why? It's just not as much fun and your reaction time is slower. I'm glad I have a few old consoles just for the lightgun experience, which can't be emulated through a modern TV because it uses the technology of the CRT to work.

norland2424

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on April 05, 2016, 03:15:38 AM
Right. Trackball and spinner games never translate too well to standard controls. You could play a light gun game with a mouse but why? It's just not as much fun and your reaction time is slower. I'm glad I have a few old consoles just for the lightgun experience, which can't be emulated through a modern TV because it uses the technology of the CRT to work.

and thats the kicker, but i have read that the new ones work on lcds

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: norland2424 on April 05, 2016, 03:21:15 AM
and thats the kicker, but i have read that the new ones work on lcds

Well, you can play systems that use an infrared setup or something like that (like the Wii) but honestly they are only a pretty good approximation at best. There's nothing like the more locked in feeling of the scanning lightgun for accuracy and realism. The PS1 had one of the best guns in the Namco.

MV/Liberace!

I'm JismSatchel on Steam.  Join me for some Left 4 Dead.