• Welcome to BellGab/bellchan Archive.
 

Midnight In The Desert

Started by Falkie2013, December 11, 2015, 11:13:40 PM

zeebo

Quote from: chefist on May 08, 2018, 12:59:06 PM
What's great is when artists like the Rolling Stones "demand" that Republicans (they never do that to Dems) stop using their songs...LOL...they sold the rights to their music from the very beginning and have no authority where those licenses are sold... ;D

What gets me is when some classic song that used to stand for something becomes a friggin latter-day jingle for fast food or car insurance.   :(

chefist

Quote from: zeebo on May 08, 2018, 01:18:53 PM
What gets me is when some classic song that used to stand for something become a friggin latter-day jingle for fast food or car insurance.   :(

The Beatles fought that for decades...but eventually lost a key court case...then you heard their songs all over commercials from that point on.

Grifynne

Quote from: bellNwhistle on May 08, 2018, 12:04:22 PM
You know.. I thought (as I chuckled) when I heard that bit, that he has more class in his pinky finger than she has in her whole body.  That's not to make him out to be a saint, by any stretch. But he didn't ask for Art to drop dead, or for Heather to jerk everyone around for two weeks.  This fell into Dave's lap.  It all worked out how it did, and it's kind of amazing the way it went down, despite somebody having to die for it to happen.

Also, something I hadn't thought about til he said it..  he's now been on Art's first show, and now his last show.  It's kind of fitting for him to be the host right now. I think it seems like he deserves it.. at least at the moment. He knows people are gonna judge him regardless, so why be a dick on his first run out of the gate? He was gracious, as I think he should have been. I can respect the guy for that.  Heather may not give two shits, but him taking the high road here is for the best.

I agree. And I suspect that, as time goes on - assuming Dave sticks around (and it seems like he will) - eventually I think HW will fade away and more of her followers will turn to the dark side to find out that it isn't so dark over here. Well, not here as in Bellgab. I don't think they would survive in this jungle. I mean here as in listening to MitD with Dave. By taking the high road, he is keeping the path clear for them to eventually wander over with no obstacles in the way once they tire of HW's rants (or she tires of them and disappears into obscurity).


Morgus

I was surprised by all the bellgab shoutouts last night.
Seems like Bellgab may become the chatroom mentioned the most on MITD with Dave, unlike with Heather.

Juan

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on May 08, 2018, 01:02:21 PM

Not sure that's true. McCartney wouldn't let Beatles albums and singles be published on I Tunes for years. I don't know if that's the case now.
Completely different set of laws. Playing a recording at a political rally, on the radio, in a bar, etc. is considered a public performance. Anyone can buy a license to play from ASCAP or BMI.

Downloading comes under the laws regulating record sales.

Grifynne

Quote from: ponyboysunset on May 08, 2018, 12:44:16 PM
OMG you're right. It's not pot's fault Heater Wade sucked it's hers. Great point. And it maybe Sloppy Seconds in the Desert but at least Keith's doing a show. Can't say that much for Heater Wade can we? ;D When is her return date again?

Oh, ya know, one of these days... probably...


zeebo

Quote from: chefist on May 08, 2018, 01:21:28 PM
The Beatles fought that for decades...but eventually lost a key court case...then you heard their songs all over commercials from that point on.

I know I'm dead wrong on this legally-speaking, but I feel like when an artist first releases music it becomes in a sense owned by the fans.  Selling it first as an artistic statement, and then reselling it as a friggin pepsi ad is a not-so-cool switcheroo, my peeps.

Sean92008

Quote from: Faustina on May 08, 2018, 12:10:29 PM
Wow, she's 36?!  She looks 25.  I'd like to know her secret for staying so young looking at the precipice of Middle Age.

They call it "cryogenics." It is a readily available beauty treatment thing up in Minnesota.  Add in the fact that she's a Vikings fan, she'll never get wrinkles from smiling too much.

trostol

Quote from: DaveSchrader on May 08, 2018, 08:46:24 AM
Hey All!
Welcome to the Etch of Sketch of life, we shook it, and started a bit from scratch and I am pleased that the over all feel is...

"Well he is better than drinking acid"

;)

Reading through these pages for the last 4 days has been a treat, the hate, the love, the drama, did I mention the hate?

We are listening, and reading and hearing your concerns and platitudes, both equally important.  There will be changes, some you will love, some may take some getting used to, for all of us.

Let me give you all perspective on the task at hand, I will NEVER make everyone happy as is evident from posts here and on social media,
"He has a great Radio Voice and is such an engaging interviewer"   to  "His voice is boring and monotone. He talks too slow"  to  "He talks too fast."

My pace and meter will change, when you host a show and spend a whole hour talking, by yourself, I had to keep the energy up, talking a bit faster and higher is about transferring energy to an audience.  If I just spoke for an hour in a never changing monotone, slowly, you would have tuned out in hoards. Talking faster and with energy I was hoping to cover a lot, give some insights and keep the mood lighter and moving. 

Some will love, some will hate. Either way, I get to wake up next to the woman I love, surrounded by kids I adore and do a job that is my passion.  I hope you will continue to come along for the ride and understand, some nights will be better than others, but that is the way it is in every relationship.

I believe it was the great mind of Socrates that once said,

"You take the good, you take the bad, you take them both and there you have, The Facts of Life, The Facts of Life"

(or was that Alan Thicke? Socrates, Alan Thicke....both great thinkers and amazing TV Dads)

Onward and Upward BellGabbertonians! Tally Ho!
See ya in the Worm Hole.

And one last favor, ease up on Heather. Death is a difficult blow and we all react differently to it. Just because you may handle a situation one way, there is no need to believe that is a universal truth.  Lets leave the disdain for Heather behind and instead focus it where it belongs, on Alex Trebek.

The more you talk about her and let the hate fester like a cancer the more she continues to get your attention and no one should be the focus of continuing rage. The future is here...lets go get mini-donuts and look at clouds.

Your monotone, fast, slow talking, obnoxious, unfunny, warm hearted, lucky son of a bitch radio show host friend,

Dave
aka - Darkness in the Desert of True Crime Dave

Welcome Dave...good first show

As for the Heather hate...I would think it isn't actual hate as much as it's contempt for how she pretty much changed into a totally different person and that we bellgabbers were beneath her when she took over for Art...she forgot where she came from and who her cohorts were during the blitz and Nory bashing

Any way keep up the good work

chefist

Quote from: zeebo on May 08, 2018, 01:31:46 PM
I know I'm dead wrong on this legally-speaking, but I feel like when an artist first releases music it becomes in a sense owned by the fans.  Selling it first as an artistic statement, and then reselling it as a friggin pepsi ad is a not-so-cool switcheroo, my peeps.

$$$ and fame trumps most of that...sure, there are some out there that do it for a hobby, side career, etc...I think those of us who love live music, have heard artists with amazing original music...that's why I like going to see live, local music in small venues...many are just happy making $500 on a Friday or Saturday night playing...

Morgus

It appears MITD is back to the original 3 hour length now too.
Thats better since I thought the 4 hour length Heather increased it was too long for 5days/week.

Sean92008

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on May 08, 2018, 01:10:57 PM
Richard Ashcroft hit that wall.. He was lead singer with the Verve and the Rolling Stones took them to court and won..It was ruled that it had elements that the Stones had in a song they had never released.

https://youtu.be/1lyu1KKwC74


Forgot to add. The Stones get every penny of the royalties of this track.

Guess what...  Not a single note of that music was written by any of The Rolling Stones, not even hummed by Mick... It was written by some guy doing and orchestration for the album. I forgot his name, but he doesn't get a dime of it either and he actually wrote it. I think it's one of the greater miscarriages of justice in the music world...

Of course, I think that My Sweet Lord is unique enough from He's So Fine but...

I have a friend who's currently going through a battle with a very well-known artist who really, absolutely  stole a riff from an artist that he manages the publishing for...  It is a big clusterfuck from hell.

zeebo

Quote from: chefist on May 08, 2018, 01:35:54 PM
$$$ and fame trumps most of that..

lol, yep.  Sometimes I'll see some already rich/famous actor pushing some infomercial for reverse-mortgages or whatever and I'm like, hmmm, well if they came to me and said I could buy a new beach house for a couple days work I'd be like ok sure I'm free this weekend.   ;)

Quote from: Sean92008 on May 08, 2018, 01:33:55 PM
They call it "cryogenics." It is a readily available beauty treatment thing up in Minnesota.  Add in the fact that she's a Vikings fan, she'll never get wrinkles from smiling too much.

Sounds expensive. It's cheaper to stick to a protein face mask. 



:P :P :P :P :P :-[

zeebo

Quote from: Inglorious Bitch on May 08, 2018, 11:22:32 AM
A clumsy, hapless manchild draws you in...he begs for cat food for his kitties, he beseeches funds so that his precious cable does not get cut off. Things seem dire until you realize that he sponged off his mother until his late 40's and has never really worked a day in  his life. When his mother died he went out and ran up her credit card. He gets a government check but feels entitled to vacations and the better things in life. He has said that work is hard and he hates to work (duh) but there's always a sucker on the horizon with more dollars than sense. You find out how he choked out and beats on his "girlfriend". You want to look away, you really do, but it's that morbid curiosity that keeps us hypnotized...the horror...the humanity...but we can't look away or stop watching his videos.

Also he claims to have died and come back to life 3 times and he says he was reading medical journals at age three. That's when he peaked.

Thanks for the clear and concise summary.  This would make a good pinned post to warn newcomers of the inherent dangers in entering the falkieverse.


DynamoHum

Well Keith having full control takes the ball and smashes it into the back of the net a lil bit doesn’t it.

bellNwhistle

Quote from: zeebo on May 08, 2018, 01:51:11 PM
Thanks for the clear and concise summary.  This would make a good pinned post to warn newcomers of the inherent dangers in entering the falkieverse.
I have never stepped foot in that thread. I don’t get it. Lol

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: DaveSchrader on May 08, 2018, 11:45:46 AM
who is the wise guy that pooped in the bird bath?

DS

That could be any of a number of Bellgabbers. Great show last night, it's nice to see MITD back on the rails.

Taco Bell

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on May 08, 2018, 02:09:07 PM
That could be any of a number of Bellgabbers. Great show last night, it's nice to see MITD back on the rails.

I may be going out in a limb here...but my money would be on the guy that poops in empty cases of beer and then burns them.

zeebo

Quote from: bellNwhistle on May 08, 2018, 02:03:50 PM
I have never stepped foot in that thread. I don’t get it. Lol

You don't know what you're missing which in this case is a good thing.

chefist

Quote from: zeebo on May 08, 2018, 01:41:11 PM
lol, yep.  Sometimes I'll see some already rich/famous actor pushing some infomercial for reverse-mortgages or whatever and I'm like, hmmm, well if they came to me and said I could buy a new beach house for a couple days work I'd be like ok sure I'm free this weekend.   ;)

Ha...probably they blew all their money...literally and figuratively.  ;D

dsz

Quote from: Morgus on May 08, 2018, 01:39:03 PM
It appears MITD is back to the original 3 hour length now too.
Thats better since I thought the 4 hour length Heather increased it was too long for 5days/week.

Umm... Pretty sure Coast does four seven days a week.

#TeamHeatherWad

a is jump

Quote from: Sean92008 on May 08, 2018, 01:41:01 PM
Guess what...  Not a single note of that music was written by any of The Rolling Stones, not even hummed by Mick... It was written by some guy doing and orchestration for the album. I forgot his name, but he doesn't get a dime of it either and he actually wrote it. I think it's one of the greater miscarriages of justice in the music world...

Of course, I think that My Sweet Lord is unique enough from He's So Fine but...

I have a friend who's currently going through a battle with a very well-known artist who really, absolutely  stole a riff from an artist that he manages the publishing for...  It is a big clusterfuck from hell.

Stupidest thing about that whole thing is that, yeah, the Andrew Loog Oldham version of "The Last Time" that the Verve sampled too much of bears next to zero resemblance to the Stones song that it's supposedly a version of. But the Stones song "The Last Time" is clearly an uncredited ripoff of The Staple Singers' "This May Be the Last Time."

K_Dubb

Quote from: bellNwhistle on May 08, 2018, 02:03:50 PM
I have never stepped foot in that thread. I don’t get it. Lol

Here, I'll help:


moosie

Quote from: zeebo on May 08, 2018, 01:51:11 PM
Thanks for the clear and concise summary.  This would make a good pinned post to warn newcomers of the inherent dangers in entering the falkieverse.
It did indeed, thank you for pointing it out. This place scrolls so past I miss stuff.

Quote from: DaveSchrader on May 08, 2018, 08:46:24 AM
Hey All!
.........snip.......

Reading through these pages for the last 4 days has been a treat, the hate, the love, the drama, did I mention the hate?

We are listening, and reading and hearing your concerns and platitudes, both equally important.  There will be changes, some you will love, some may take some getting used to, for all of us.

......snip........

I enjoyed MiTD for the first time since Art Bell left last night, thank you. For myself it wasn't hatred toward Heather, simply frustration that she seemed to go from bad to worse with no idea how to improve.

No one  is an overnight success, Art Bell wasn't. It takes time and practice to learn to do anything.  With some realism she could have opted for a guest host and honed her craft on the weekends and filled in, paid her dues and slowly re-emerged. But she seemed to lack that realistic insight. Hence the 'cruelty', that in my opinion, she brought upon herself.

If 'radio' is really in her blood hopefully she starts her own show and slowly builds that skill-set. I wish her the best for as frustrating as she was to listen to.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: FLLFlash on May 07, 2018, 10:41:43 PM
He can't help himself. Pray for Jesus's intervention.

Don't mind that internet cop. He's the real dick! Jesus and I are good pals actually and he thinks and I quote Y'all should lighten the fuck up and try to have a bit more fun. i shit you not! :D

Ghost Nutter

Quote from: DaveSchrader on May 08, 2018, 11:46:41 AM
It is not. But I will no longer wear Daisy Duke cutoffs and cowboy boots while hosting the show.
Nice..lol

Powered by SMFPacks Menu Editor Mod