• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Main Menu

Ebola

Started by VtaGeezer, March 27, 2014, 11:56:35 PM

pate

This sounds a bit strange to me for some reason, isn't this more up the alley of the Peace Corps or something?

I get that the military has CBRN capabilities, so is in a way equipped to deal with Ebola as a biological threat, but it still seems like a strange idea...

But then again, I suppose if we do capture some Ebola, we could ship it off to Gitmo and see what we can find out...

It does sound a little strange at first but the military is used for things such as national disasters and international relief too.  They get all the crap jobs.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: albrecht on September 16, 2014, 03:25:38 PM
Already downloaded that show. Also the one about the "darknet." Plan to watch later.
Worrying developments with our government buying up a whole lot of protection suits, already had contracts out for bodybags, and now we are going to send troops to help "fight" Ebola.

I won't give too much away, but that Horizon programme is quite harrowing, inspiring and scarey in equal measure. Oh, and the guy in Canada who 'invented' Zmap has huge huge balls. I wouldn't do what he does for any money.

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on September 17, 2014, 02:04:51 AM
It does sound a little strange at first but the military is used for things such as national disasters and international relief too.  They get all the crap jobs.

Obama and the gals from Harvard have a different view of the world. They have the Border Patrol changing diapers and doing childcare, and the military acting as nurses aides.

albrecht

Quote from: FightTheFuture on September 17, 2014, 03:30:13 AM

Obama and the gals from Harvard have a different view of the world. They have the Border Patrol changing diapers and doing childcare, and the military acting as nurses aides.
Obama has put more BP and ICE workers doing paperwork then rounding up illegals or protecting the border. Also hearings for the few illegals caught and released is put off for years. Meanwhile the illegals get free schooling, healthcare, and housing. Compare treatment of illegals with that of veterans: have you heard of any secret waiting lists for illegals?  One report said ICE was even baking a birthcake for an illegal!!

VtaGeezer

This is just a cheap and sound preventive measure against a severe biological threat.  The current Ebola crisis has overwhelmed sparse treatment resources in less than dirt-poor W Africa.  Govts have resorted to attempts to quarantine entire towns and urban areas.  If the virus breaks out into general populations, it would further destabilize a shaky region firmly in the sights of Islamists. The US military has unique abilities and highly mobile resources, e.g., Navy Seabees and Army Engineers, for creating infrastructure in undeveloped areas and for training personnel.  Its also a very good exercise for the military units.   I hope other Western nations with similar resources would follow Obama's example. 

WOTR

I recall listening to a radio program a few weeks back how some people in those nations already distrust their own health care workers and believe that it was purposely introduced by the west.  Now we are going to send in a foreign military to "help"?  I'm sure there will lots of trust.

Look at the history of vaccinations in the U.S and smallpox.  You will find MANY families were hiding their infected because they did not trust the hospitals set up for quarantine- and that was America.  We think that civilians already distrustful are going to be turning in their sick to a foreign military presence (who some will blame for introducing it in the first place) and leave their children in quarantine? 

I feel very optimistic that this exercise will go well. ::)  It will give the military something to do now that there are no wars.

b_dubb

The US military responded to the Haiti earthquake by delivering supplies and providing all types of support.  Why wouldn't they help in Liberia?  My biggest concern is that terrorists start taking pot shots at our military personnel as they're trying to help.

pate

I almost got to go to Haiti for that, but they gave the mission to the Marines.  Supposedly there was a prison somewhere that had been damaged enough in the quake that the convicts got loose and were using the chaos to make trouble.

Back to the Ebola thing:  Maybe the who hospital building thing is a cover story for a cordon sanitaire that will be implemented?  A real cordon sanitaire, where they set up a perimeter around the outbreak area and no one leaves until the thing extinguishes itself.  I needs my conspiracy!

VtaGeezer

Quote from: wotr1 on September 17, 2014, 10:35:27 AM
We think that civilians already distrustful are going to be turning in their sick to a foreign military presence (who some will blame for introducing it in the first place) and leave their children in quarantine? 
As I understand it, US military won't be treating anyone; they'll construct basic treatment centers and provide procedural training to indigenous personnel. 

WOTR

Quote from: VtaGeezer on September 17, 2014, 10:56:57 PM
As I understand it, US military won't be treating anyone; they'll construct basic treatment centers and provide procedural training to indigenous personnel.
Sorry... This is WO.  I have banished TR for the evening as he is just too damn cynical.

There is a part of me (TR) that believes that any military presence would be inflammatory.  However, I also recognize that this was based on a report from what I recall as being a European based public broadcaster (I doubt they are ever supportive of the US.  If there were ten people in the country who were suspicious that the West introduced it they would report it as being widespread.) 

I think in the end it is one of the only concrete ways to help.  Sending money there would enrich exactly 10 people (I know I promised not to be as cynical- but I am still realistic.)  This is one of the few ways that can benefit the areas directly.  You also mentioned that you had hoped that other countries would offer the same kind of help and I will agree.  By making it a truly international effort it might help demonstrate that the world actually does care a little and take some of the focus off of this being a "US military operation."

paladin1991

Quote from: b_dubb on September 17, 2014, 12:00:38 PM
  My biggest concern is that terrorists start taking pot shots at our military personnel as they're trying to help.
I believe with the current trend in Washington, this might be a mistake on the part of the terrorist.  Rules of Engagement would be stringent of course, but once, weapons free, start the bodycount.

albrecht

Considering that trained doctors are getting infected I'm worried about the troops we are sending. Are they really well-trained in how to handle diseases and quarantine zones, etc?  And what happens when they come home? Considering how this administration, and others but particularly under Obama now, treat veterans what if the Ebola infected veteran is put on a "secret waiting list" and is out in society carrying the disease? Or becomes homeless due to the financial vultures praying on them and the low pay and then starts to infect people?

yumyumtree

Quote from: albrecht on September 18, 2014, 10:58:09 AM
Considering that trained doctors are getting infected I'm worried about the troops we are sending. Are they really well-trained in how to handle diseases and quarantine zones, etc?  And what happens when they come home? Considering how this administration, and others but particularly under Obama now, treat veterans what if the Ebola infected veteran is put on a "secret waiting list" and is out in society carrying the disease? Or becomes homeless due to the financial vultures praying on them and the low pay and then starts to infect people?
They have the VA when they come home.

yumyumtree

I was being sarcastic.  I don't use emoticons especially when talking about topics like ebola and the VA.

b_dubb

I just saw this. Breaking news at BBC.

Holy shit.

albrecht

I think I won't be attending the State Fair or TX/OU game this year.
http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2014/09/30/cdc-confirms-patient-in-dallas-has-the-ebola-virus/
“We know at this time this person was not symptomatic during travel but became symptomatic once arriving here and being home for several days,” said Perkins, according the Dallas Morning News. “So that decreases the threat that might be to the general population.”

Symptomatic doesn't mean the disease cannot be spread. It simply means the person was not experiencing any symptoms (that he reported.) He was infectious and could have infected people during his period of travel and moving around Dallas. Even if a person (presumably male) survives, according to the CDC, Ebola can be "Ebola virus has been found in semen for up to 3 months."

Press conference at 4:30 local FEMA Region VI time. Where, I'm sure, we will be told platitudes and no actionable information such as: who is this person, when did he arrive in Dallas, why was he in a region infectious with Ebola, where else has he traveled, what airline and flight# was he on, where has he stayed in Dallas, who has he been in contact with, is he a US citizen, what threat is there from public sewer or drinking water if he was staying in a place with no back-flow valves, has his house and the airplane been sanitized, etc?

b_dubb

Ebola would make effect terror tactic / method / stratagem / whatever. Strap some diseased tissue to a quad copter and fly it over the fence to the White House.

Good times.

wr250

and predictably,everyone is like OMFG EBOLA . this isnt even anywhere near as contagious as say swine/bird flu. we see how big of an epidemic those caused (other than the panic...).
in the meantime west nile outbreaks are going on, theres a outbreak of the plague, etc. oh wait, no one cares about those.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: b_dubb on September 30, 2014, 03:09:58 PM
Ebola would make effect terror tactic / method / stratagem / whatever. Strap some diseased tissue to a quad copter and fly it over the fence to the White House.

Good times.

Is it time to nuke TX yet? It's for their own good.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: wr250 on September 30, 2014, 03:16:04 PM
and predictably,everyone is like OMFG EBOLA . this isnt even anywhere near as contagious as say swine/bird flu. we see how big of an epidemic those caused (other than the panic...).
in the meantime west nile outbreaks are going on, theres a outbreak of the plague, etc. oh wait, no one cares about those.

What is wrong with you? PANIC!!!!!!! Embrace the headless chicken.

HorrorRetro

Discussion is not panic. I think it's a relevant subject to bring up. Despite the fact that it's not supposed to be very contagious, it's still not a good thing for it to pop up in any neighborhood.

area51drone

http://www.npr.org/blogs/goatsandsoda/2014/09/12/346114454/how-do-you-catch-ebola-by-air-sweat-or-water

So let's see... it's not extremely likely that you can get it, but YOU CAN GET IT FROM TOUCHING SWEAT SOMEONE JUST LEFT ON THE DOOR HANDLE IN FRONT OF YOU.   It takes 3 weeks to incubate?   I'd say FUCK is right.  Just because swine flu wasn't a big deal doesn't mean it didn't get around, people probably just didn't know they had it.   It wasn't a big deal because people don't fucking DIE from it very often.   This could kill 30%-50% or more of the people it infects, and it is far nastier than a "bad flu".

Batten down the hatches.   I won't be risking my life because some other dumbass was stupid enough to travel to africa and spread this.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: HorrorRetro on September 30, 2014, 03:21:06 PM
Discussion is not panic. I think it's a relevant subject to bring up. Despite the fact that it's not supposed to be very contagious, it's still not a good thing for it to pop up in any neighborhood.

It'll be panic in the press if not here. They love a bad news story, it sells more.

Tarbaby

It's spooky that this happens just as the series "THE STRAIN" is on, FX channel. That is about the most disturbing series I can remember. And it Bakely mirrors this Ebola epidemic. In some ways. Albeit supernatural.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: area51drone on September 30, 2014, 03:27:15 PM
http://www.npr.org/blogs/goatsandsoda/2014/09/12/346114454/how-do-you-catch-ebola-by-air-sweat-or-water

So let's see... it's not extremely likely that you can get it, but YOU CAN GET IT FROM TOUCHING SWEAT SOMEONE JUST LEFT ON THE DOOR HANDLE IN FRONT OF YOU.   It takes 3 weeks to incubate?   I'd say FUCK is right.  Just because swine flu wasn't a big deal doesn't mean it didn't get around, people probably just didn't know they had it.   It wasn't a big deal because people don't fucking DIE from it very often.   This could kill 30%-50% or more of the people it infects, and it is far nastier than a "bad flu".

Batten down the hatches.   I won't be risking my life because some other dumbass was stupid enough to travel to africa and spread this.

You going to cover your house in cling film? Wear NBC suits? Filter all your air? Grow all your own food? Sink a well?

albrecht

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on September 30, 2014, 03:16:41 PM
Is it time to nuke TX yet? It's for their own good.
Kill all those Hispanics and especially all those precious, precious illegal aleins? No way Jose. Find a way to get only the whites there and you might get the football opened and tigger pushed and codes entered.