• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Thoughts And Pics From The Road

Started by aldousburbank, November 25, 2013, 07:54:35 PM

chefist

Quote from: brig on July 23, 2017, 07:13:55 PM
WOW!!

Beautiful pictures Chefist!

Thanks, Brig...that place was magical, and I've seen many all over the world. From the road coming down from Lookout Mountain, it appears just another tourist trap. However, it is completely worth the entry fee. You hike 1/2 mile to the falls, 1200 feet below the surface of the mountain! Simply incredible.

whoozit

Quote from: Chefist on July 23, 2017, 06:57:10 PM
Ruby Falls (waterfall inside a cave!) at Lookout Mountain, Chattanooga, TN...my mind was completely blown! That's my daughter, Sam...

Did you go to Rock City too?

chefist

Quote from: whoozit on July 24, 2017, 06:40:04 AM
Did you go to Rock City too?

We wanted to go, but had to get up to Michigan. Next time for sure.

albrecht

Quote from: Chefist on July 24, 2017, 06:41:28 AM
We wanted to go, but had to get up to Michigan. Next time for sure.
You mean after all those signs and painted barns you didn't "SEE ROCK CITY" ?!! Personally I saw it. And, speaking of barn advertising, I'm still chewing Mail-Pouch Tobacco to this day. (Kidding there.)  And drank countless free glasses of ice water at Wall Drug in SD to this day.  ;) Speaking of which I had a friend who had to go to SD for work and I told her "you need to go to Wall Drug in addition to the Badlands, Mt. Rushmore, etc and she did. Wall Drug impresses me with their "guerilla advertising" campaign. You see (or used to see) their signs and bumper stickers in so many locations, even around the world. One thing I recently regret is that I didn't see "The Thing" on a recent road-trip to LA. But I hit area at odd hour, was going solo so no excuse like kids or break for a stop at an 'attraction' like that, and was making such good time so skipped it. I feel bad because tourist traps are dying off with larger and larger highways and better gas-mileage and 'in car' entertainment. Crap, people not driving (and even some driving) barely look out the windows at scenery any more due to tablets, phones, etc!!

chefist

Quote from: albrecht on July 24, 2017, 02:15:19 PM
You mean after all those signs and painted barns you didn't "SEE ROCK CITY" ?!! Personally I saw it. And, speaking of barn advertising, I'm still chewing Mail-Pouch Tobacco to this day. (Kidding there.)  And drank countless free glasses of ice water at Wall Drug in SD to this day. 

I visited Wall Drug when I was in 3rd grade. Went on a road trip with the parents to visit my brother at Minot, ND (Air Force) and see Mt Rushmore. Amazing trip...one I still remember to this day. We ate there I remember, but can't say if the food was any good. I do remember the tree growing out of the side of the wall, and the plastic cow patties in the gift shop.

Here's what we got down here, about 60 miles East of Tucson...THE THING! Signs all over So Cal, AZ, New Mexico and Texas. LOL

We did of course spend a good part of the day at Point Park on top of Lookout Mountain.
I had Sam stand right where the canon was placed in this old civil war pic.

albrecht

Quote from: Chefist on July 24, 2017, 02:22:28 PM
I visited Wall Drug when I was in 3rd grade. Went on a road trip with the parents to visit my brother at Minot, ND (Air Force) and see Mt Rushmore. Amazing trip...one I still remember to this day. We ate there I remember, but can't say if the food was any good. I do remember the tree growing out of the side of the wall, and the plastic cow patties in the gift shop.

Here's what we got down here, about 60 miles East of Tucson...THE THING! Signs all over So Cal, AZ, New Mexico and Texas. LOL

That is the one. I kept seeing the signs and it almost pulled me in but, as I said, I didn't pull the trigger and go. Dang it. I might have really missed out on something!  ;)

aldousburbank

My friend sent me this pic yesterday from Pahrump. Hopefully one of us geniuses can figure out what it all means. Show your work.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: aldousburbank on March 07, 2018, 03:50:01 PM
My friend sent me this pic yesterday from Pahrump. Hopefully one of us geniuses can figure out what it all means. Show your work.

Well, he did have that brawl with the moneychangers. It kinda makes sense that he'd be "dollar free." ;)

starrmtn001

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on March 07, 2018, 05:05:29 PM
Well, he did have that brawl with the moneychangers. It kinda makes sense that he'd be "dollar free." ;)
Um, that's Dollar Tree.  Sorry, Doc. ;D

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: StarrMountain on March 07, 2018, 06:29:09 PM
Um, that's Dollar Tree.  Sorry, Doc. ;D

Ooops! I didn't expand it and even though I've never heard of Dollar Free I figured it was just yet another of the glut of dollar stores we got with that great free trade deal of yesteryear. ;)

Rix Gins

Quote from: albrecht on July 24, 2017, 02:25:55 PM
That is the one. I kept seeing the signs and it almost pulled me in but, as I said, I didn't pull the trigger and go. Dang it. I might have really missed out on something!  ;)

The Thing is really cool in a cheesy, kitschy sort of way.  You get your moneys worth, that's for sure.  There are several large buildings you walk through and they are full of vintage autos (one that might have been used by Adolf Hitler) and wood carved, life size figures, dried insect and snake displays, and a torture chamber.  You follow The Thing's painted footsteps through the buildings and you do finally wind up looking at The Thing.  Is it real?  I won't say, wouldn't want to spoil it for anyone who has a plan to see it someday.  I will say this, The Thing's final resting spot (a glass topped tomb) is really something.  There are lots of videos on YouTube in case you know for a certainty that you won't be visiting The Thing.

albrecht

Quote from: Rix Gins on March 07, 2018, 06:52:51 PM
The Thing is really cool in a cheesy, kitschy sort of way.  You get your moneys worth, that's for sure.  There are several large buildings you walk through and they are full of vintage autos (one that might have been used by Adolf Hitler) and wood carved, life size figures, dried insect and snake displays, and a torture chamber.  You follow The Thing's painted footsteps through the buildings and you do finally wind up looking at The Thing.  Is it real?  I won't say, wouldn't want to spoil it for anyone who has a plan to see it someday.  I will say this, The Thing's final resting spot (a glass topped tomb) is really something.  There are lots of videos on YouTube in case you know for a certainty that you won't be visiting The Thing.
I fell bad that I didn't stop in but I was making such good time and had classic C2C on the radio...
ps: I think I've seen a "Hitler car" and some other roadside attraction once? Can't remember where though?

aldousburbank

Running around southern AZ gathering Saguaro fruits. Crazy overcast, rain, fog, an 64 degrees at noon in June. Beautiful!

GravitySucks

Quote from: aldousburbank on June 16, 2018, 05:39:26 PM
Running around southern AZ gathering Saguaro fruits. Crazy overcast, rain, fog, an 64 degrees at noon in June. Beautiful!

How do you reach the fruits?

chefist

Quote from: aldousburbank on June 16, 2018, 05:39:26 PM

Raining today here in Tucson...

aldousburbank

Quote from: GravitySucks on June 16, 2018, 05:41:09 PM
How do you reach the fruits?

You strap together a couple of the long ribs from an old saguaro skeleton to prod them down. And/or pick the ripe fallen ones from the ground and surrounding bushes. My favorite food!

GravitySucks

Quote from: aldousburbank on June 16, 2018, 05:48:18 PM
You strap together a couple of the long ribs from an old saguaro skeleton to prod them down. And/or pick the ripe fallen ones from the ground and surrounding bushes. My favorite food!

Cool. Have fun gathering.