• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20130924 - Seth Shostak - Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI)

Started by MV/Liberace!, September 24, 2013, 10:58:29 AM

AshamanWolf

Quote from: Northcoaster on September 24, 2013, 11:07:53 PM
Really, Seth? Nature making a pipe?
Yeah, that comment actually has me looking up pipes that appear naturally. Only answers I am willing to give a little credit is bamboo and thick vines in rainforests.

Quote from: Earth Pod on September 24, 2013, 11:08:36 PM
What a difference a host makes.  No wonder everyone has been so itchy for the last 10 years.   Art is the best!!

Art's secret is that he listens intently to his guests, admits his ignorance and engages his guests.  He enjoys what interests him and goes with it!

WOTR

Well, hello everybody.  Just arrived home from work and while in the driveway got a call from... work.  So I am going back and will probably miss Bell and all of your posts tonight.  Hope he actually gets to you Ward.  I will have to catch up when I get back.

This is the only downside of the Dark Matters time slot... By 1:00 AM (when Coast airs here) I am usually at home for the night and can relax.  Getting in by 8:00 rarely happens.

Cynnie

Quote from: canadiancommie on September 24, 2013, 11:12:10 PM
Art's secret is that he listens intently to his guests, admits his ignorance and engages his guests.  He enjoys what interests him and goes with it!
And he's intelligent and naturally curious .
He has been so missed

Cynnie

Quote from: Cynnie on September 24, 2013, 11:17:04 PM
People should really quit drinking when they get put on hold :)

I swear to God I was thinking the precise thought.

Ward

another beak and i still haven't made it through, 1 hour on hold..Art IS popular

...and don't worry i have not been drinking

Cynnie

nofAcedAgent

Quote from: AshamanWolf on September 24, 2013, 11:12:02 PM
Yeah, that comment actually has me looking up pipes that appear naturally. Only answers I am willing to give a little credit is bamboo and thick vines in rainforests.

There is a stalactite formation called "soda straws" that are natural pipes of a sort. They are (at least the ones I've seen) incredibly fragile however.

Bell_Weather

I sent a message voting for NO Ed Dames.  That fraud does not deserve the airtime.  I cannot stand him at all.  Back in 1998 I asked him for some kind of prediction, some undeniable proof.  Something that would be happening in the very near future and not far off, and a specific date if possible.  He said in December North Korea would start a nuclear war.  As y'all know that never happened in 1998, or 1999, etc.  One of many.  There has been no solar flare death.  There has been no infection brought by an asteroid that would destroy all plant life on Earth.  Nothing he says is verifiable and none of his absolutely guaranteed predictions have come to pass.  It always disappointed me that he would get on the air but I guess it gets good ratings.  I don't mind frauds all that much if they tell an entertaining story but Dames doesn't do it for me.

PrairieGhost

Quote from: Ward on September 24, 2013, 11:18:29 PM
another beak and i still haven't made it through, 1 hour on hold..Art IS popular

We are pulling for you!

I'm glad arts interested in zombies. Me too!

Also this guest is pretty awesome, not sure why posts are down.

Cynnie

Quote from: wotr1 on September 24, 2013, 11:13:12 PM
Well, hello everybody.  Just arrived home from work and while in the driveway got a call from... work.  So I am going back and will probably miss Bell and all of your posts tonight.  Hope he actually gets to you Ward.  I will have to catch up when I get back.

This is the only downside of the Dark Matters time slot... By 1:00 AM (when Coast airs here) I am usually at home for the night and can relax.  Getting in by 8:00 rarely happens.

Well you just need to quit your job :)

Spinner

Quote from: Ward on September 24, 2013, 11:18:29 PM

What do you hear when you're on hold? The show?

sleeplessinca

Quote from: jazmunda on September 24, 2013, 11:14:30 PM
I agree with Seth re: rocks on Mars.

Lookee here:

http://webecoist.momtastic.com/2010/02/18/23-bizarre-animal-shaped-rocks-sculpted-by-nature/

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2011/03/rock-people-gallery/?pid=1143
Those were really beautiful, Jaz.  It's fun to look at anomalous rocks from RCH. He has an imagination on him, doesn't he?  He should just write a kick butt sci fi book.

Earth Pod

Quote from: canadiancommie on September 24, 2013, 11:12:10 PM
Yeah man.  He's right there through the whole interview.  Even speeding around the corners, he hangs on and never falls out of the truck.......so to speak.

Cynnie

Quote from: Earth Pod on September 24, 2013, 11:22:51 PM
Yeah man.  He's right there through the whole interview.  Even speeding around the corners, he hangs on and never falls out of the truck.......so to speak.

That was awesome

Why are all callers southerners? (not that that's a problem, of course).

Spinner

Yep, if you are up before dawn, find Mars, then the Beehive cluster, and just to the left of that, you'll see a fuzzy object. That's ISON

Cynnie

Ward

Quote from: Cynnie on September 24, 2013, 11:33:38 PM
I wonder if Ward is southern ?

Southern California Surfer Accent ;)

25 min left getting nervous i won't get on

Nighthawk

So will this ISON comet be anything like when we got to see hale bopp?