• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20130924 - Seth Shostak - Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI)

Started by MV/Liberace!, September 24, 2013, 10:58:29 AM

WOTR

Quote from: Cynnie on September 24, 2013, 11:21:07 PM
Well you just need to quit your job :)
That would be the most logical solution that I can think of... I am back home now, so even if Art were still on Coast I would have missed 1/2 an hour of him.  I am typing out my notice as we speak (actually, they may be calling me at 6, so I should probably get some sleep if I can.)  Or...  I could listen to the rerun.   ;D

WOTR

Wow.  Being as this thread is lagging the others by about 10 pages, I have a lot of posts to make before morning!

jazmunda

Quote from: wotr1 on September 25, 2013, 01:37:30 AM
Wow.  Being as this thread is lagging the others by about 10 pages, I have a lot of posts to make before morning!

I believe that probably has something to do with the guest. The more hatred (perhaps that's too strong a word) there is for the guest the more posts there are.

Whitley might just break this site.

lonevoice

Quote from: Morgus on September 25, 2013, 01:25:59 AM
Art's producer is, he gave "51's" to us in a post here last night.
And Art chuckled when he heard Ward say "51's" again on the air, so he must too.
Producer Paul logged in again tonight...about a minute after Ward's call with Seth.

Morgus

Quote from: Ward on September 25, 2013, 02:03:02 AM
enjoying the re-broadcast
good job with another great callin to Art, Ward.
you are lucky Art (so far) doesn't have a rule about only one call a month like Noory has...  ;D

Earth Pod

Quote from: Ward on September 25, 2013, 02:03:02 AM
enjoying the re-broadcast
Ward your call --questions and comments-- were intelligent and outstanding.  Art loved them too!  Way ta go...

Ward

Thanks Earth Pod & jazmunda it sure was fun, and that was me with no caffeine. Seth really is a good sport. Morgus i think if filled my Quota this month, just glad Art enjoyed the questions. Hope more BellGabbers get in this week  ;)

Heather Wade

Quote from: phrodo on September 25, 2013, 12:58:11 AM
Nearly every caller to Rush says "Mega Dittos" ... so just thought Infinite was a bit more appropriate... and different

And as for Google ... they suck balls and are indeed the "evil empire"/WalMart of the internet... if you value your privacy you will disavow any connection with google regarding your online usage. seriously.

Good point then, we're the weirdos, might as well keep it weird.  And spacy.

Google is the antichrist.  I'm always trying to tell people not to use gmail, of course I am just paranoid, as usual.  Google has the thought police monitoring our thoughts too.  Bastards.

I was annoyed when I heard "google Roswells", but loved tonight's show.

Ward

Quote from: Redacted on September 25, 2013, 02:17:42 AM
I'm always trying to tell people not to use gmail

Redacted this is off topic but what do you recommend as a good free email service that's not google or mini-google (hotmail,yahoo etc)

Bell_Weather

Ward, you did us all proud!!  Art gave you one hell of a commendation as well.  A triumph to be sure!

Having Art back every night I feel high as a kite, a warm feeling in my chest.  Real happiness!  Amazing. Love every second.
I let the replays go every night too because it goes so fast I always hear something I missed during the replays.

Sirius has given Dark Matter many hours that I assume Art could use for live broadcast instead of replays so should he decide to go
five hours, or six or whatever I bet he is able.  I have a feeling he may dive back into a longer show and add Fridays once he's settled in.

I'm very happy. I worn holed art to ask about the two stars that could collide that we are supposedly in the gun barrel of and within 2 minutes he asked about it.

Heather Wade

Quote from: Ward on September 25, 2013, 02:20:17 AM
Redacted this is off topic but what do you recommend as a good free email service that's not google or mini-google (hotmail,yahoo etc)

There may be better ones out there (certain of that, the internets are such a large series of tubes) but hushmail is good if you're of the paranoid variety, like me.

Heather Wade

Quote from: polarissucks01 on September 25, 2013, 02:24:14 AM
I'm very happy. I worn holed art to ask about the two stars that could collide that we are supposedly in the gun barrel of and within 2 minutes he asked about it.

That is so cool of him.  And a good question too!!

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Ward on September 25, 2013, 02:20:17 AM
...what do you recommend as a good free email service that's not google or mini-google (hotmail,yahoo etc)

reagan.com. 

no? 

i'm out of ideas.

Earth Pod

Will there be a way to see what Dark Matters has done to C2C ratings?  If replayers are w/DM it until 3 AM that leaves C2C out of the mix.  Anyone know?

onan

Quote from: Earth Pod on September 25, 2013, 03:32:41 AM
Will there be a way to see what Dark Matters has done to C2C ratings?  If replayers are w/DM it until 3 AM that leaves C2C out of the mix.  Anyone know?

would love to see those numbers

jazmunda

Unfortunately I don't think Dark Matter will make a dent in C2CAM's ratings. This is mainly due to the fact of the easy (free) access to terrestrial radio and a built in massive potential audience. Also sat radio's entry is cost prohibitive to the majority of people. Perhaps over time Art might whittle away at the Coast audience but at the moment it is probably just a drop in the ocean.

Cynnie

Oh c2C ...i had forgotten about that show

jazmunda

I hope this wasn't Art defacing property considering his views on people being immersed in their cell phones and not looking up.

Falkie2013

Quote from: Redacted on September 25, 2013, 02:17:42 AM
Good point then, we're the weirdos, might as well keep it weird.  And spacy.

Google is the antichrist.  I'm always trying to tell people not to use gmail, of course I am just paranoid, as usual.  Google has the thought police monitoring our thoughts too.  Bastards.

I was annoyed when I heard "google Roswells", but loved tonight's show.

The problem with not using Google is that so much is tied in to it that its almost impossible NOT to use it.
If I switch to Bing, it makes things I am typing on forums disappear, locks up my Mac and also just makes it hang.
I tried to use Chrome and installed it but it never worked.
And AT & T has some alliance with Yahoo.
I think that the time is way past worrying about companies tracking us.
I think almost every major tracking company is tracking someone, somewhere.
And if they aren't, deep down they'd like to .
If for no other reason than to monitor your buying habits, what you wish to buy or what you recommend others to buy.

Like others have said, the fact that C2C is on AM will allow Noory to continue.

I feel like streamlink will be more heavily affected by Art's return than anything else.

I was driving around during Coast's time slot the other night and it wasn't on the normal channel here in the Bay Area of California. I used to be able to find it three places on AM... It's not on KSFO anymore, which is where I first heard Art in 1994. Ah, fuck that show anyways.

I am so happy that I don't ever have to hear Noory selling newsletters and streamlink subscriptions in the middle of an Art Bell show ever again. How unnerving.

steelbot

Well I fell asleep during the broadcast lol - so I hope the stream came through ok folks, the Sirius4Ever cydia plug-in I have was set to time out at 8hrs - you may have not gotten a full REPLAY as I had the TMZ shit on at 9:30ish EST.  I'm listening to replay here today sometime I'll be on the lookout for your call Mark!

indigoo

Use HushMail if you're seriously that concerned about email privacy.

And don't forget to stop using Google/Bing/Yahoo to search.

steelbot

Quote from: indigoo on September 25, 2013, 09:51:14 AM
Use HushMail if you're seriously that concerned about email privacy.

And don't forget to stop using Google/Bing/Yahoo to search.

As a former Cyber Surety (3dox3) professional with the USAF - I would just state that if you're really worried - DONT use the internet, phones (smartphones), or any form of connected device and restrict yourself to leaving paper messages between you and friends with your own code's in say ....a book, and then make sure they're on flash paper that you can burn and disintegrate once the message is received!