• Welcome to BellGab/bellchan Archive.
 

Midnight In The Desert

Started by Falkie2013, December 11, 2015, 11:13:40 PM

bellNwhistle

Quote from: El Chorro on May 07, 2018, 02:33:18 PM
Let's keep this thread as the generic "Midnight in the Desert" thread until Heather establishes herself as worthy of her own new show thread. I just can't see posting on two different threads as long as the drama links the two. All due respect to Schrader, he's part of the MITD tableau right now, and who knows when that will change.

Ugh, do we have to?


ItsOver

Quote from: albrecht on May 07, 2018, 02:43:58 PM
Where are the pics?
Put this baby in reverse and back it up a few pages.  It's worth the gasoline.

Lilith

Quote from: Grifynne on May 07, 2018, 02:35:36 PM
My generation was the borderline between kids having no access to technology and having lots of access. I was pre-DVR and pre-internet (for the most part - I was a teen when the 'net became widely accessible). We had one small, crappy computer lab at my elementary school that we visited maybe once a week to play either Carmen Sandiego or The Oregon Trail. That was pretty much the extent of it for us. As a teenager, I used to record songs off the radio onto a cassette tape to listen to later. On-demand stuff was a pipedream that most of us hadn't even considered.

That being said, I have come to love podcasts. There are so many, and they are convenient. I don't have to listen live. I can go back and re-listen if I want or if I miss a segment. I can pause and come back. I can listen on my PC or my smartphone. My chosen entertainment can follow my schedule rather than the other way around.

Speaking to people my age and younger, most love listening to podcasts and rarely tune in to traditional radio on a weekly basis (especially since you can listen in the car where radio usually rules). While there is a lot of crap content out there, there are some great shows that might have never been heard if it wasn't for podcasting. Personally, I love it.

I always thought that Art could have simplified his final return, and possibly kept up better despite his failing health, by just doing a podcast that wasn't 5 nights a week. He could have kept a schedule that was less demanding and still reached a huge audience.

But that's assuming the whole MitD thing wasn't a bait and switch from the get-go.  ::)

You'll get no argument from me.

That being said, my daughter plugs her phone into her car speakers, and we listen to podcasts on the go  ;D

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Juan on May 07, 2018, 02:43:18 PM
Any of you budding podcasters out there should look closely at the Spooky Southcoast Youtube videos and watch how Tim stays on the mic. One of the most annoying things about podcasts is the poor audio - frequently level changes in the hosts voice caused by poor mic technique.

I believe he does it out of a real radio station with an engineer and everything. :D

Catsmile

Quote from: bellNwhistle on May 07, 2018, 01:19:59 PM
A boy came over and reached into my suit and grabbed me. :-X >:(

Boys.. ::)

# ThatWasYou!?
# SmallWorld


Quote from: Grifynne on May 07, 2018, 02:15:12 PM
Scott returns in defense of After MitD, meanwhile Heather's diehard fans don't grasp the concept of copyright/trademarking.
Pepsi Presents Coast to Coast with Heather Wade...  ;D

This guy "Gets it". Too bad they aren't going to listen to him.

If Heather's fans are as loyal as they seem to be, she could choose any name and they would still follow. Why open yourself to unnecessary litigation?

ItsOver

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on May 07, 2018, 02:43:02 PM
Well, sure she's young and hot...but is she really Asian enough for him to be host?!
She wouldn't have to turn Japanese for me.


SpookyTim

Quote from: Bart Ell on May 07, 2018, 02:41:18 PM
By definition every podcast would have to be pre-recorded.

I mean not a recorded version of live radio. Are you going live?

El Chorro

Quote from: bellNwhistle on May 07, 2018, 02:44:13 PM
Ugh, do we have to?

Maybe not...who knows if she'll actually get there. But everyone is already mostly posting about Art and Dave and George in this thread, so I can't see people going back and forth between one about "MITD with Dave" and whatever's happening with Heather in this one or a new one. People would be double-posting and asking for all kinds of #CatsmileScratching.

That's just an opinionâ€"MV knows the best direction to steer this ship.

Kolchak

Quote from: Dyna-X on May 07, 2018, 02:25:13 PM
Even canned archives of live shows are more fun than podcasts. Podcasts seem sterile, like an audio Powerpoint presentation.

Depends on the nature of the show.

Grifynne

Quote from: El Chorro on May 07, 2018, 02:41:12 PM
Thanks and I really respect your ability to adapt. Art had the stature to be able to do a show that was Internet-based yet not "scheduled" like a traditional show. Ironically his nature was to think "broadcast," whereas he could have had a respectable second career doing a show like you describe, and people would have sought it out.

I should note that there is something special about the sound of a caller on the radio in the night that isn't replicated on most podcasts. And some do take callers, so there is that.

It really seemed like Art overcomplicated everything, requiring way more setup and expense than was absolutely needed for something he wasn't likely to still be doing after a year. He could have added in those "extras" later if the show did well and he had the energy and resources to expand. Maybe it was all ego since podcasting sounds "small" to a radio professional. But there is enormous potential there if you have talent - especially if you have a known name in the industry like Art did. And all involved probably would have gotten a bigger return on their investment since initial operating costs would have been lower (I assume).

SergeantMajor

I guesss this is the place to be for tonight's MITD. Gabcast tonight?


dsz

Quote from: Dateline on May 07, 2018, 02:20:09 PM
Have there been any leaks about who the host will be?

Well if you are a time traveler and he is reading those messages now according to Keith just shoot a worm down his hole and ask him "who the fuck are you? what the fuck is your name? no snarky response... what is your actual name?" and see what he sends back.

Kolchak

Quote from: SergeantMajor on May 07, 2018, 02:52:30 PM
I guesss this is the place to be for tonight's MITD. Gabcast tonight?

I assume a lot of people will be on Discord.

Grifynne

Quote from: brig on May 07, 2018, 02:45:26 PM
You'll get no argument from me.

That being said, my daughter plugs her phone into her car speakers, and we listen to podcasts on the go  ;D

Listening in the car is awesome, especially since it seems like most radio stations in my area suck. There's maybe 2 or 3 that play music I like, and when I tune in they are usually on a commercial. lol

timebandit

A show without Heather is a
#CATastrophy

El Chorro

Quote from: Kolchak on May 07, 2018, 02:51:26 PM
Depends on the nature of the show.

Also, listening to the C2C tribute to Art after the fact, without any bumper music, was a hugely different experienceâ€"scrubbed of so much of its emotional impact.

Grifynne

Quote from: Bobs Your Uncle on May 07, 2018, 02:48:28 PM
This guy "Gets it". Too bad they aren't going to listen to him.

If Heather's fans are as loyal as they seem to be, she could choose any name and they would still follow. Why open yourself to unnecessary litigation?

If they really cared about her, you would think they would want to warn her about that. They are so mindless that they just feed off of whatever she uses to chum the water.

Ghost Nutter

Is mitd going back to 3 hrs? I hope that's not the case


albrecht

Wolfman will be the new host. Or Leo.

SpookyTim

Quote from: Kolchak on May 07, 2018, 02:54:18 PM
I assume a lot of people will be on Discord.

I'd like to get in on this Discord, but I've never used it before. Will someone post a link of a place we're supposed to go when it is time?

morgana213

Quote from: ItsOver on May 07, 2018, 01:59:17 PM
I think of it as driving past a hog farm, followed by a delightful cruise past fields of new-mown hay.
mmmmm....fresh country air.....

dsz

Quote from: timebandit on May 07, 2018, 02:54:42 PM
A show without Heather is a
#CATastrophy

Nah, it'll be a good show. Just dull as cluck.

Grifynne

Quote from: dsz on May 07, 2018, 02:54:09 PM
Well if you are a time traveler and he is reading those messages now according to Keith just shoot a worm down his hole and ask him "who the fuck are you? what the fuck is your name? no snarky response... what is your actual name?" and see what he sends back.

We could try playing 20 Questions: Wormhole Edition with the new host. "Are you an animal, vegetable, mineral..."


dsz

Quote from: Grifynne on May 07, 2018, 02:58:12 PM
We could try playing 20 Questions: Wormhole Edition with the new host. "Are you an animal, vegetable, mineral..."

I think Dave is somewhere between animal and vegetable.

Powered by SMFPacks Menu Editor Mod