• Welcome to BellGab/bellchan Archive.
 

Midnight In The Desert

Started by Falkie2013, December 11, 2015, 11:13:40 PM

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: ShayP on May 06, 2018, 09:56:45 AM
What is "the Beano?"  Just curious, as to the only Beano I know of is a brand of anti-gas pills.

A kids comic.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: bellNwhistle on May 06, 2018, 09:59:55 AM
Could be a great comic book.

It featured a character called Dennis the Menace, but it was a different Dennis to the one over there.

Dateline

Heather needs to make it her own, "Midnight Affair in the Desert".

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 06, 2018, 10:02:17 AM
It featured a character called Dennis the Menace, but it was a different Dennis to the one over there.

Who owns the (tm)?

bellNwhistle

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 06, 2018, 10:02:17 AM
It featured a character called Dennis the Menace, but it was a different Dennis to the one over there.

Oh, okay. :)

bellNwhistle

Quote from: Dateline on May 06, 2018, 10:03:08 AM
Heather needs to make it her own, "Midnight Affair in the Desert".

Midnight ménage à trois


Yorkshire pud

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 06, 2018, 10:02:17 AM
It featured a character called Dennis the Menace, but it was a different Dennis to the one over there.

Resemblance?




Quote from: bellNwhistle on May 06, 2018, 09:28:10 AM
... I mean, unless he really just didn't give a shit at the end...

Like at Coast with Mike Seagull, then George Noory?


SredniVashtar

Quote from: Billy Joe Mulgreavey on May 06, 2018, 10:03:50 AM
Who owns the (tm)?

I don't know actually. They've both been around a while.

bellNwhistle

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on May 06, 2018, 09:52:44 AM
We had a Religious Ed teacher (Also taught history) who apparently had had anger management treatment before it was fashionable and hip, who before my time had spotted a lad reading the Beano or somesuch under the desk lid.. Walker (The teacher) kept talking but quietly walked up to the desk and punched it down, nearly severing the lads windpipe on the lip of the desk..Walker wasn't sacked, he wasn't even prosecuted! No-one liked him though. Even the other teachers openly disliked him, enough to not keep him abreast of the cricket scores when the Ashes were on.

That's brutal.  :'(

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 06, 2018, 10:10:46 AM
I don't know actually. They've both been around a while.

If Wikipedia is to and believed, they came out the same day.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_the_Menace_(U.S._comics)


Yorkshire pud

Quote from: bellNwhistle on May 06, 2018, 10:12:37 AM
That's brutal.  :'(

Can you imagine it happening these days? It would be on the main news for weeks. The flip side we had a French teacher, Tommy Tranter, who was the teacher the rest wanted to emulate..He was a fantastic bloke.

K_Dubb

Quote from: bellNwhistle on May 06, 2018, 09:28:10 AM
Let's say you're Art Bell. King of Paranormal Radio, but still an aging man with a failing body.  You have to give up what you love, so you need someone to take under your wing, in order to hand the keys over.  Who do you pick, and why?
...

I mean, unless he really just didn't give a shit at the end.  We think (and Heather thinks) he thought she was all that, but maybe he didn't?

Yeah, you lay it out well.  He picked her cuz he liked her voice -- he was not alone, I remember -- and thought he'd try something he'd never done before.  The idea of a raw talent he shaped in his image was probably appealing to his huge ego, but he got bored and moved on.  Ultimately she's the victim of that rare blend of ego and restless curiosity that made him so interesting to listen to.

Tricky-D

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 06, 2018, 09:51:53 AM
'George gets it'.
When George was Art’s regular fill in and a C2C weekend host I liked listening to him. When George took over full time I thought he did a great job initially but over time his enthusiasm for the subjects discussed was gone. Honestly I don’t get how Art kept his enthusiasm for this subject matter for as long as he did.

bellNwhistle

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on May 06, 2018, 10:16:17 AM
Can you imagine it happening these days? It would be on the main news for weeks. The flip side we had a French teacher, Tommy Tranter, who was the teacher the rest wanted to emulate..He was a fantastic bloke.

It’s always nice to know the really good ones. ❤️

SredniVashtar

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on May 06, 2018, 10:16:17 AM
Can you imagine it happening these days? It would be on the main news for weeks. The flip side we had a French teacher, Tommy Tranter, who was the teacher the rest wanted to emulate..He was a fantastic bloke.

Tommy Tranter? What sort of music hall borstal did they send you to? Was Max Miller teaching gym?

Lilith

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 06, 2018, 09:09:57 AM
You'll be a co-host sometimes
No, you'll be a producer
You'll emergency fill-in until I come back
Maybe I'll come back once in a while
Doesn't come back

Qualifies as manipulation and doesn't depend on any hidden hypotheticals.

Would that qualify as manipulation of the subscribers as well?  Maybe we are all entitled to refunds in full  :o

Honestly?  I think the above that you suggest was the general plan, and Heather was aware of it, and promoted it, all in effort to manipulate the subscribers.  I could be wrong.


K_Dubb

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 06, 2018, 09:54:23 AM
I think I speak for us all when I say i'm glad you keep your hypotheticals hidden. In case you were planning to show them in your next photo.

I was certain a passing resemblance to Haakon VII would reduce you to boot-licking subservience, but I see I am disappointed  :-[

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 06, 2018, 10:27:42 AM
Tommy Tranter? What sort of music hall borstal did they send you to? Was Max Miller teaching gym?

;D...I suppose on his birth certificate it said Thomas. We called him Tommy, not to his face of course. He was quite a visionary in many ways; He allowed a 15 year old to skip his French class to go and sell from his market stall in town. I heard some years ago that same 'lad' was running his own haulage company. He saw potential in everyone, no matter what their skills might be.

Sean92008

Quote from: mv on May 06, 2018, 08:38:34 AM
They were recorded in my bathroom.
I was going to say "lay off the reverb..." Nevermind.

ponyboysunset

Quote from: bellNwhistle on May 06, 2018, 08:01:12 AM
How the fuck does somebody let their life tank so quickly? Her mentor dies, and now she's listening to Lasha?
Remember she’s mentally ill. And what makes you think she isn’t pulling the strings? Lol.

DarKPenguiN

Quote from: brig on May 06, 2018, 10:29:01 AM
Would that qualify as manipulation of the subscribers as well?  Maybe we are all entitled to refunds in full  :o

No- There has to be some responsibility on the consumer on this one.

After what Art pulled with Sirius , which involved many people actually purchasing expensive (and now useless) satellite radios, everyone should have pretty much known how this one was going to end. Sirius offered full refunds but I personally didnt ask for one and just rode out my subscription and chalked it up as a learning experience. The fact they had the integrity to offer refunds was enough to make me not want to ask for one if that makes sense.

Anyone who stayed subbed after the stalker story in hjoipes of Art ever returning kind of deserved what they got imho.




Sean92008

Quote from: mv on May 06, 2018, 08:58:53 AM
I had socks.
Hopefully over the mic, bodilies are so bad for 'em...

SpookyTim

^^^Agreed. The writing was on the wall.

K_Dubb

Quote from: brig on May 06, 2018, 10:29:01 AM
Would that qualify as manipulation of the subscribers as well?  Maybe we are all entitled to refunds in full  :o

Honestly?  I think the above that you suggest was the general plan, and Heather was aware of it, all in effort to manipulate the subscribers.  I could be wrong.

I think it was pay-as-you-go.  To whatever extent we regret it now, there are plenty of people around here who will hasten to remind us that we knew who we were dealing with.

Powered by SMFPacks Menu Editor Mod