• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

George Knapp

Started by ArtBellFan, April 27, 2008, 09:05:01 AM

Quote from: Bounder on April 09, 2011, 01:02:18 AM

How fortunate we are to have a legitimate journalist willfully applying his mind to the often airy-fairy Coast topic-scape, clear-cutting a firetrail through dense tangles of nonsense.

Yep, I know I'm going to enjoy you.

Nice to meet you.   :)

Bounder

Pleasure's mine!

Can anyone tell me the earliest time they recall Knapp hosting C2C?  I'd like to find the vintage, pre-unobtanium cuts.

I personally hope someone can get though Sunday night to ask him to address the Fakebook Art Bell--as he is still listed as a friend

fysisist

I enjoy Knapp.  He's got credentials, he's done the footwork, he prepares for the shows he does, he knows the topics.  He listens to callers, almost to a fault sometimes, but he's fair and open-minded.  He's the anti-Noory.  He could kick Noory's ass with one leg tied behind his back.

George sucks

Maybe it's a fake George Knapp that is still listed as a friend on the fake Art Bell page. So many whackpods starting fake pages anymore, who can tell the difference.

Quote from: Bounder on April 09, 2011, 07:31:09 PM
Pleasure's mine!

Can anyone tell me the earliest time they recall Knapp hosting C2C?  I'd like to find the vintage, pre-unobtanium cuts.
Couldn't say exactly how long he has been doing shows, but it is at least 5 or 6 years, probably more.  Looking forward to him doing open lines this Friday, the best test for a host of C2C, I think - no guest, plenty of whack jobs calling in, lot's of pressure on the host to carry the show.  He's done Ok with open lines in the past, but I get the sense he prefers guests.

b_dubb

the earliest show that's available to Streamlink peoples is from 4/2006 (where Knapp hosted).  not sure if that was his first stint as host

Mops

We may have a horse race here.  Knapp just took a shot at Abiotic Oil.

onan

Quote from: Mops on April 17, 2011, 11:24:44 PM

Took a shot at? like in discrediting it? good for him. abiotic oil is the same theory as creating mice by leaving dirty clothes in the corner.

b_dubb

abiotic oil is a petroleum like substance that oozes from the earth and is made from the remains of unicorns that were smooshed by giant dragons living at the core of the earth.  it's almost as rare as a-idiotic radio host

rkowna

I have been getting into George Knapp of late.  When I checked the web pages this guest seems like a George Noory type, right after a 2 hour symposium on asparagus where Richard Hoagland calls in to tell George how great it is to hear a show about asparagus.

That said, George Noory could make Michio Kaku seem boring and banal while the Knapp man can drive a show. I bet it turns out to be a good show. 

Bell2Gray

Quote from: b_dubb on April 18, 2011, 10:29:20 AM
abiotic oil is a petroleum like substance that oozes from the earth and is made from the remains of unicorns that were smooshed by giant dragons living at the core of the earth.  it's almost as rare as a-idiotic radio host
I think Bigfoot must be involved in abiotic oil in some way..that being said, George Knapp is by far my favorite host, actually the only I listen to now.  I like that he doesn't turn the interview into an argument as Ian sometimes does, and he really knows his music, I always learn something after listening to him.  When I listen to GN, I feel like I'm getting dumber by the second.

Scully

Quote from: Mops on April 17, 2011, 11:24:44 PM

When the guy mentioned that George Noory believes in abiotic oil, Knapp's little "heh-heh" said it all.  Priceless!  8)

jinwicked

Remember when all the retired oil wells gradually refilled themselves? Good times.

What is the point of abiotic oil theory, to be smug? It runs out regardless.

anagrammy

Here's a comparison between Knapp and Noory on quality interviewing:

GUEST:    The annual number of people starting on opiods now equals the number of people starting to smoke.

(Listener:  And how many is that?)

NOORY:     Unrelated question (as per usual) and we'll get the answer to that after the break.  So get ready for it.

(Listener:  Wait, wait!  What about the number of people starting to smoke and do opiods?????)

-----------------

GUEST:     Since then many who have sat in the chair have died.

KNAPP:      Exactly how many is that?

GUEST:      In the dozens.

(five minutes later)

KNAPP:       Our intrepid webmaster Lex has just found a story on the chair.  It has claimed 67 victims (quotes story).

Could we please have a host who is capable of having a conversation?

Anagrammy

EvB

Quote from: anagrammy on April 20, 2011, 12:21:47 PM
Here's a comparison between Knapp and Noory on quality interviewing:

Could we please have a host who is capable of having a conversation?

Anagrammy

Knapp is a journalist, and it seems a damned fine one.  Art manged to be just as engaging with a gift for gab and a curious mind.

Noory - well - I'll just click "none of the above"

Eddie Coyle

Knapp...1927 Yankees
         Noory....1962 Mets

George sucks

It's Knapp tonight baby, rocking open lines no less. Time for some intriguing conversation, unpredictable calls, and paranormal subjects. He does a great job with them IMO.... Noory should take more time off. Or eat **** and die, his choice. Knapp is the man. Even makes Ian sound like a school boy goofing around on the radio. Let the pro handle it Junior.   

Knapp with open lines=Friday night great radio.. Looking forward to it

George sucks

... and Knapp has Maurice Cotterell on Sunday night. Should be interesting. The last time he was on with Ian he got booted off and Ian went to open lines because Cotterell didn't talk to Ian enough. Cotterell wanted to lay things out and Ian wanted to keep interrupting him. You know how Ian likes to interject at length. Two days later he was on with Noory and was able to talk and talk and talk and......

Ian had to do a bit of CYA and damage control over booting Cotterell. People were pissed, they wanted to hear Cotterell's latest. Not Ian's. That's why he was on two days later with Noory, to make up for it. 

anagrammy

What date was that show with Cotterell? I somehow missed it.

Anagrammy

Usagi

Quote from: HorrorReporter on April 22, 2011, 11:57:53 AM
Knapp with open lines=Friday night great radio.. Looking forward to it

Yes.  My abandonment of Coast does not apply to tonight.  Now, if only we had the chat room again! ;p

George sucks

Quote from: anagrammy on April 22, 2011, 02:05:09 PM

Anagrammy

Somewhere in here. http://www.coasttocoastam.com/search/?query=maurice+cotterell&search.x=41&search.y=4

As far as I know, it was the last time he was on.

anagrammy

Quote from: Usagi on April 22, 2011, 03:07:36 PM
Yes.  My abandonment of Coast does not apply to tonight.  Now, if only we had the chat room again! ;p

Tell you what, Unagi, I'll start a new topic called FRIDAY NIGHT PSEUDO CHAT and we can keep our computers open while we listen (if we can keep awake)...

Anagrammy

Usagi

Quote from: anagrammy on April 22, 2011, 04:07:15 PM
Unagi

I'm not an eel!!  :o

(We'll see how the pseudochat works!)

I love me some Knapp but I'm afraid I'm going to miss the show tonight. Always sad to miss the Knapp shows despite my boycott of C2C. Hope one of you all can rip and post it somewhere for me.  ;D

George sucks

Quote from: anagrammy on April 22, 2011, 02:05:09 PM

Anagrammy

Posts 1160, 1161, 1164 reference the booting. http://www.coastgab.com/index.php?topic=13.1140 You can figure out the date from there perhaps, unless you were just giving me shit. Might have been, seeing as your post is 1166. 

3 more hours till Knapp time.   

Quote from: GuerrillaUnReal on April 22, 2011, 04:58:06 PM
I love me some Knapp but I'm afraid I'm going to miss the show tonight. Always sad to miss the Knapp shows despite my boycott of C2C. Hope one of you all can rip and post it somewhere for me.  ;D

The guest in the first half was terrible. You picked a good one to miss. Anti-scientific idiot with no real knowledge or understanding of the subject matter.

valdez

Knapp filling in for George who is off celebrating his daughter's birthday.  A heartfelt congratulations, and may she live long and prosper.  James Martinez on the prospects and developments of cold fusion.  Although he couldn't explain it much, his website seems to be worth a gander.  Later, Knapp ponders the mystery behind Paul Simon's Me & Julio Down By The SchoolYard"Were they smoking pot?  Doing something sexual?"  Then he divulges that webmaster Shawn LaDouceur's favorite band are the Go-Gos.  Hmmm.  The Go-Gos are alright, but I would think they lack the depth to be anyone's (any adult's) favorite.  I could be wrong.  I haven't heard all their stuff.

The Go-Go's 

Man, Knapp is such a superior host. Listened to the show for a few minutes driving around with a friend of mine tonight. This sounded like a show with a lot of bullshit in it but Knapp handled it really well. Also Knapp cracked us up a few times when he had a sarcastic tone in replying to some of the lonely bullshit his guests were saying. Knapp is totally my man for C2C.

Also notice how much better the bumper music is with Knapp. I seriously was wondering if I had the right station when Hendrix came blaring in out of the commercial break. I really wish Clear Channel could drive up to Knapp's door with a dump truck full of money.