• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

MST3K and RiffTrax

Started by ItsOver, July 12, 2014, 11:09:58 AM

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on May 05, 2016, 01:01:53 PM
Last Saturday night, local PBS aired MST3K/Manos:The Hands of Fate.
Was there any set up for it?  Any preamble or explanation?  Was it just aired spontaneously like "Lord of the Dance" often is?

Wait.  Why, of course, "for those who understand, no explanation is necessary...." &tc.

zeebo

Quote from: Étouffée on May 05, 2016, 06:04:06 PM
Was there any set up for it?  Any preamble or explanation?  ...

Had to have been some kind warning, or something.  I mean you don't just spring that one on folks unawares. 

cosmic hobo

I can't believe the MST3K had to go through kickstarter to get back on the air.

ItsOver

I thought fellow Riffers and MiSTies might be interested in this:

http://www.fathomevents.com/event/ghostbusters

Watch the one, the only "Ghostbusters" on the big screen.

Also, just a reminder for this big event, later this month:

http://www.fathomevents.com/event/the-mst3k-reunion-show

And last, but not necessarily least:

http://www.themadsareback.com/?post_type=tribe_events&eventDisplay=month&tribe-bar-date=2016-07

The real, honest-to-hamdinger Mads will be in St. Louis and at future locations, as well as Riffing.  They made a brief appearance on Svengoolie last Saturday night, during a break from "She-Wolf of London."  Certainly better than seeing Jorch.

Part 1 of a two parter, Kevin Murphy talks to Rotten Tomatoes about his "five favorite movies."

Who says comedy can't be menacing?  The photograph looks like Weegee came back from the grave for the sole purpose to photograph Kevin.

And, oddly, Murphy reminds me of H. R. Giger.  Maybe that time period when Giger was hanging out with Salvador Dali.

If Giger were alive, I like to think he would be happy to make an appearance on the upcoming MST3K revival season.

I will settle for the fact that Giger's name will definitely be included in a riff in the new season.

You heard it here first, but let's keep that revelation under our biomechanical helmets.

Har har har.

Very nice shot, Kevin.  You horror ham.  The only thing missing is a skull, a tarot spread, and a crystal ball.

Oh, I dig it, man.

If you're a mistie, this is a great time to be alive.

http://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/kevin-murphys-five-favorite-films-part-1/

Mystery Science Theater vol. XIV has officially gone out of print.  Copies are still readily available from multiple retailers, but Shout! Factory will not be distributing/printing any new copies because of a rights issue with one of the films therein: Soultaker.

So if you collect the DVD box sets, now is the time, fellow mistie(s).

TigerLily

I love MST3K.  Don't know RiffTrax. Goody! Something new to explore.

Bellgab heroically follows in the tradition of MST3K during live shows. Which gabsters would you cast as our Joel, Tom and Crow? I refuse to be Gypsy. I don't do floors. I think it goes without saying MV is the evil mastermind that keeps us trapped here. Praise ... nm

Quote from: TigerLily on July 02, 2016, 06:39:17 PM

Bellgab heroically follows in the tradition of MST3K during live shows. Which gabsters would you cast as our Joel, Tom and Crow? I refuse to be Gypsy. I don't do floors.

No Richard Basehart for you, then.

ItsOver

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on July 03, 2016, 12:05:25 PM
No Richard Basehart for you, then.
Or this guy.  Please don't "Noory" Mike.

ItsOver

Oh, just so you know, "I'm Peter Graves."

Big news for MSTies!

Joel announced that NETFLIX will be the home for Mystery Science Theater 3000 revival episodes.
That's a lot of potential new MSTies!

Joel also announced that the new show will have guest appearances by Mary Jo Pehl as Pearl Forrester, Kevin Murphy as Pofessor Bobo, and Bill Corbett as Brain Guy (I know, if only Kevin could return as Tom Servo).

Joel added:  "...and, to show our new team how the pros do it, Mary Jo and Bill have also joined the writing team for some of the new episodes, to make sure we've still got that 'Original MST3K Flavor.'"

Full text of message is at Kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mst3k/bringbackmst3k/posts/1644441?ref=backer_project_update

ItsOver

Thanks for posting!  I caught the replay of the MST3K Reunion Show at the cinema last month.  It was pretty enjoyable seeing all the old cast back together to spoof some shorts.  For me, by far, the best riffing was done by "The Mads," TV's Frank, Frank Conniff, and Dr. Forrester, Trace Beaulieu.  Just the right timing and delivery.  It was worth it just to see those two doing their thing again. :)  I'm glad to see they'll be doing their own stuff, eventally in shows scattered across the country.

http://www.themadsareback.com/

Quote from: ItsOver on August 01, 2016, 12:12:15 PM
Thanks for posting!  I caught the replay of the MST3K Reunion Show at the cinema last month.  It was pretty enjoyable seeing all the old cast back together to spoof some shorts.  For me, by far, the best riffing was done by "The Mads," TV's Frank, Frank Conniff, and Dr. Forrester, Trace Beaulieu.  Just the right timing and delivery.  It was worth it just to see those two doing their thing again. :)  I'm glad to see they'll be doing their own stuff, eventally in shows scattered across the country.

http://www.themadsareback.com/
My pleasure!  Thanks for the "Mads" link, too.  It's great that so many of the "Best Brains" are still creating and performing.

ItsOver

Good news!  In addition to now airing the original Outer Limits, Comet TV will be airing MST3K on the weekend, starting September 4th.  I just saw the announcement on their channel, over the weekend.  You can stream Comet for free, if you can't get it OTA. 

Also, Rifftrax will be doing a live show this Thursday.  The victim this time is "Mothra."  :D

Quote from: ItsOver on August 15, 2016, 08:09:56 AM
Good news!  In addition to now airing the original Outer Limits, Comet TV will be airing MST3K on the weekend, starting September 4th.  I just saw the announcement on their channel, over the weekend.  You can stream Comet for free, if you can't get it OTA. 

Also, Rifftrax will be doing a live show this Thursday.  The victim this time is "Mothra."  :D

That is so ridiculously awesome! Are they showing the Comedy Central era or the Sci-Fi era shows?

There is no meter on earth that can't properly gauge my MST3K fandom. It's my favorite TV show of all=time.

ItsOver

Quote from: VoteQuimby on August 15, 2016, 08:39:45 AM
That is so ridiculously awesome! Are they showing the Comedy Central era or the Sci-Fi era shows?

There is no meter on earth that can't properly gauge my MST3K fandom. It's my favorite TV show of all=time.
I just caught the commercial out of the corner of my eye yesterday, and I didn't notice any details about which shows.  The Comet TV website doesn't appear to have anything about it, yet.  I believe the commercial included a snippet with Joel and the bots, so it should be at least the Comedy Central-era.  Comet TV is MGM-related so there was some speculation I noted on an MST3K board that it may just be the MGM-rights riffed shows.  I'm with you on being a big fan, so I'll be happy, no matter what it is. :)

I had been watching MST3K on Retro TV but Retro disappeared from my OTA line-up sometime last year, so I'm glad to see it pop-back in again.  As I've mentioned previously, Comet seems to be really getting there act together recently.  Better Sci-fi/ horror movies, the original Outer Limits, and, now, MST3K.   They even have a real oldie, which isn't bad at all, "Men in Space."  It's interesting, if you like the old, '50s-style space stuff.

Quote from: ItsOver on August 15, 2016, 08:57:18 AM
I just caught the commercial out of the corner of my eye yesterday, and I didn't notice any details about which shows.  The Comet TV website doesn't appear to have anything about it, yet.  I believe the commercial included a snippet with Joel and the bots, so it should be at least the Comedy Central-era.  Comet TV is MGM-related so there was some speculation I noted on an MST3K board that it may just be the MGM-rights riffed shows.  I'm with you on being a big fan, so I'll be happy, no matter what it is. :)

I had been watching MST3K on Retro TV but Retro disappeared from my OTA line-up sometime last year, so I'm glad to see it pop-back in again.  As I've mentioned previously, Comet seems to be really getting there act together recently.  Better Sci-fi/ horror movies, the original Outer Limits, and, now, MST3K.   They even have a real oldie, which isn't bad at all, "Men in Space."  It's interesting, if you like the old, '50s-style space stuff.

I'm not too familiar with Comet but I like the little I've seen of it. I love Retro TV. They're like a classic era Nick at Nite. I love they run great old TV shows and then stoner programming at night.

It's a little weird for me to think of MST3K as "classic programming" and showing up on these retro channels. I remember being a little kid discovering MST3K when we went on a family vacation and the hotel had the Sci-Fi channel and was running one of those Thanksgiving Day MST3K marathons. I sat and watched almost the whole thing transfixed by it. From that day forward I was a complete degenerate thorn in the side anytime in school any film or tv show was shown.  ;D I remember in junior high when our cable system finally got Sci-Fi and Comedy Central it was like a gift from God to finally be able to get MST3K and South Park. I would VHS record every MST3K and South Park. Good memories man. Good memories.  ;D

ItsOver

Quote from: VoteQuimby on August 15, 2016, 09:17:46 AM
I'm not too familiar with Comet but I like the little I've seen of it. I love Retro TV. They're like a classic era Nick at Nite. I love they run great old TV shows and then stoner programming at night.

It's a little weird for me to think of MST3K as "classic programming" and showing up on these retro channels. I remember being a little kid discovering MST3K when we went on a family vacation and the hotel had the Sci-Fi channel and was running one of those Thanksgiving Day MST3K marathons. I sat and watched almost the whole thing transfixed by it. From that day forward I was a complete degenerate thorn in the side anytime in school any film or tv show was shown.  ;D I remember in junior high when our cable system finally got Sci-Fi and Comedy Central it was like a gift from God to finally be able to get MST3K and South Park. I would VHS record every MST3K and South Park. Good memories man. Good memories.  ;D
Ha!  South Park, yes, sir.  My favorite episode, I believe.  Sheer genius. :))

Quote from: ItsOver on August 15, 2016, 08:09:56 AM

Mothra!  God, I love that movie; how perfect it is for riffing.

I only wish MST3k had it during the golden years of Joel and/or Mike, even!

Mothra O Mothra
If we were to call for help
Over time
Over sea
Like a wave you'd come
Our guardian angel.

ItsOver

Quote from: Étouffée on August 15, 2016, 10:56:55 AM
Mothra!  God, I love that movie; how perfect it is for riffing.

I only wish MST3k had it during the golden years of Joel and/or Mike, even!

Mothra O Mothra
If we were to call for help
Over time
Over sea
Like a wave you'd come
Our guardian angel.
Ha!  Yes, one of my favorite Japanese monster movies, as a kid.  I remember well, seeing it at the Saturday matinee at a local theater.  How can you not love a movie with singing Japanese fairies and a colorful giant moth?  It's not like it has an unlikely premise.

ItsOver

Speaking of Japanese monster movies, for any Godzilla fans out there, Comet TV is a having a Godzilla marathon for Labor Day. 

"Celebrate Labor Day like Godzilla! Sink some ships, eat a train and destroy Tokyo! The Godzilla Marathon comes to COMET Monday September 5th."

Uncle Duke

Tonight our local PBS affiliate is showing the "Manos" episode of MST3K.  The 'bots repeating "Manos-The Hands of Fate" throughout the film is, next to "Hello, I'm Peter Graves", my favorite running gag in the entire series.

ItsOver

This is beautiful.  Comet TV is getting off to a great start with MST3K.  Here's what shows up for their first airings, starting September 4th. 

8 PM MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER 3000   MANOS, HANDS OF FATE
8 pm EST/PST | 7 pm CST
"Manos, Hands of Fate" (1966) Horror. A family driving through Texas asks a cult master for directions.
10:30 PM MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER 3000   TEENAGERS FROM OUTER SPACE
10:30 pm EST/PST | 9:30 pm CST
"Teenagers From Outer Space" (1959) Science fiction. Alien teens with ray guns land on Earth to breed their lobster-like space cattle. With David Love, Dawn Anderson, Harvey B. Dunn.

http://www.comettv.com/schedule/?date=sep+04

This is going to be good.  :D

Hey, Cam!  If you're still out there somewhere in Crazy Land, I hope you've noted the final "Phantasm: Ravager" is FINALLY going to be released this year, plus remastered showings of the one and only original "Phantasm."

The cult favorite Phantasm series comes to close as Mike and Reggie join forces across time and space to finish off the Tall Man once and for all.
Release date: October 7, 2016 (USA)

Phantasm Ravager World Premiere in Austin Sept 25th!

PHANTASM Remastered in Theaters â€" Sat Sept 24!

http://phantasm.com/?p=150

ItsOver

Quote from: Uncle Duke on August 20, 2016, 06:32:38 PM
... The 'bots repeating "Manos-The Hands of Fate" throughout the film is, next to "Hello, I'm Peter Graves", my favorite running gag in the entire series.
Ha!  Yes.  It's the simple things that can make you laugh. 

http://youtu.be/__0C1lxp1Q4

zeebo

Quote from: ItsOver on August 23, 2016, 09:48:26 AM
This is beautiful.  Comet TV is getting off to a great start with MST3K.  Here's what shows up for their first airings, starting September 4th. ...

This is gonna be fun.  I'm assuming they'll do at least one feature every Sun. nite?  Comet's eclectic mix of off-beat sci-fi/horror is winning me over.  Any station that plays the 80's cult classic "Cherry 2000" is ok with me.  ;) 

steelbot

Perimeter deactivated -  Perimeter deactivated -  Perimeter deactivated -  P E R I M E T E R    A C T I V A T E D!

-Running Man Riff

ItsOver

Quote from: zeebo on August 30, 2016, 10:32:20 PM
This is gonna be fun.  I'm assuming they'll do at least one feature every Sun. nite?  Comet's eclectic mix of off-beat sci-fi/horror is winning me over.  Any station that plays the 80's cult classic "Cherry 2000" is ok with me.  ;)
Ha!  That's my squirrel.  You know they're getting it down when they're showing "Cherry 2000."  Melanie Griffith AND Pamela Gidley.

"Hi, honey!  I'm home."

I saw the first new episode at a special screening in Chicago last night, and it exceeded all expectations. The new cast gets it and knocked it out of the park!  They and Joel were there and took questions after the movie. Unfortunately, everyone was sworn to secrecy about the movie, and we even had to sign NDAs, which I'm going to honor so I can't say much other than it's a very cheesy giant monster movie. I think the fans of the original are going to be very happy with the reboot.

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on February 22, 2017, 11:02:43 AM
We officially have movie sign! MST3K will premier on Netflix on April 14th!

https://www.engadget.com/2017/02/22/crowdfunded-mst3k-revival-hits-netflix-april-14th/

Amazingly, there are a few at the fan site who are complaining about Full Season 11 availability.  Let me clarify: complaining that Season 11 WILL be available en masse.

They don't want any stinking binge-watching!

I think I've pretty much seen it all now, folks... I kind of know what ol' Jesus must have felt like when he laid it all on the line and people said, "Fuck you, sheep herder."

There is no other respectable conclusion to be drawn than that some MST3K fans are nuttier than those Stuckey's pecan logs RGG is so fond of mentioning.

You write fourteen new episodes and what do you get?  Another day older and the ranting internet...

Joel Announces Season 11 Debut