• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

MST3K and RiffTrax

Started by ItsOver, July 12, 2014, 11:09:58 AM

Roswells, Art

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on November 12, 2015, 03:51:21 AM
I neglected to mention The X-Files in my previous post, which is undeniably another biggie using original source that is sure to be a hit.

/shun

Quote from: Roswells, Art on November 12, 2015, 03:52:47 AM

/shun

Yeah.  Though it's hard to accept it, I'm not always a god; Sometimes I just suck.

Like all gods.

Servo: Whoa, Cam!  You got a little dark there.  Here, honey, have some Sociables and some Easy Cheese. Good. Now say you're sorry to all the deities.

Roswells, Art

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on November 12, 2015, 04:08:45 AM
Yeah.  Though it's hard to accept it, I'm not always a god; Sometimes I just suck.

Like all gods.

/unshun

I recently rewatched the x-files series and I thought it got better and better up to and including the fourth season and then it dropped off according to me.

/reshun

Roswells, Art

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on November 12, 2015, 04:08:45 AM

Like all gods.

Servo: Whoa, Cam!  You got a little dark there.  Here, honey, have some Sociables and some Easy Cheese.

btw anything called something ables is evil

Art

Uncle Duke

I got to the point of enjoying the characters' riffing shorts more than movies, especially the 50s vintage PSA type shorts.  The best one I ever saw was one that explained why housewives should not use gasoline as a solvent to clean clothing.

Quote from: Uncle Duke on November 12, 2015, 11:03:45 AM
I got to the point of enjoying the characters' riffing shorts more than movies, especially the 50s vintage PSA type shorts.  The best one I ever saw was one that explained why housewives should not use gasoline as a solvent to clean clothing.
Hired! Part II is my sentimental favorite short.   Because Manos.

"Ehh, flying elves are back!"

As noted on the Celebrity Deaths page, Phil “Philthy Animal” Taylor, who played drums in Motörhead from 1975 to 1984 and from 1987 to 1992, died Nov. 11 at 61. 

His drumming appears on the song “Ace of Spades,” which was featured in Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode 604 - ZOMBIE NIGHTMARE.

Ciardelo

I remember the old shows always said "copy the tapes" or something like that. At one time I had most of the MST3K collection but I had a hard drive fail. I think there is a group on usenet that might still trade the episodes but I wonder is there a torrent available for the whole collection?

Quote from: Étouffée on November 11, 2015, 08:23:10 PM
The only wistful sad thing is that Mike, Kevin and Bill will not be participating in this MST3K revival.

But hell, Joel Hodgson created MST3k; it's his baby to burn or let fly.  Whatever.
(I'm excited.  I want the tshirt!)

Mike Nelson's latest statement about the reboot:

Nelson: “For the record, Joel’s latest update answered all my reservations, and I’m totally on board. I should have known better than to doubt.”

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on November 13, 2015, 11:40:51 AM
Mike Nelson's latest statement about the reboot:

Nelson: “For the record, Joel’s latest update answered all my reservations, and I’m totally on board. I should have known better than to doubt.”
Thank you, Cam!  That is fantastic news!

For Ciardelo, all MST3k episodes (with funny commenter riffs on the riffs) are here:
http://www.club-mst3k.com/

As of this morning, Kickstarter donations have topped 1.6 million (in two days)!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mst3k/bringbackmst3k/description

"Keep Circulating the URL"
http://www.bringbackmst3k.com

Quote from: Étouffée on November 13, 2015, 12:36:46 PM
Thank you, Cam!  That is fantastic news!

You're welcome.  :D 

It's such a fluid situation - one that I believe will only improve as more money is raised and Joel gets a handle on how much he has to work with to attract other original cast members/voices/writers for cameos, writing, etc. Once he knows the total dollars, they can start planning on the shooting and be able to provide specific time frames when he officially invites original members into the project.

In the five question FAQ, he was pretty danged transparent, stating he would make sure the ones who choose to participate will be well compensated. He went out of his way to praise RiffTrax and clarify this isn't a war, and that those originals who participate in the reboot are perfectly free to continue with Rifftrax. He explained at length about why a new cast and voices are needed as well. It was a long, well thought out FAQ. It made so much common sense it made my hair hurt. (is that normal?)

If this experiment really takes off, it's possible a network would become interested, creating many additional seasons and many hosts over time, not just whatever is done with the Kickstarter project.

My mind is thoroughly blown at the possibilities, no matter how it all turns out. 

-

Keep circulating the URL
http://www.BringBackMST3K.com

We have movie sign!!!!!!

The minimum 2 million dollar threshold has been reached on Kickstarter!

25 days remain to reach the main goal of 5.5, but even if that is not reached, at least three new episodes are now guaranteed and formal offers can now start to be made to the old crew, etc, as a minimum of funding has been achieved.

A lot of Negative Nancys out there say 5.5 cannot be reached, as it took a few days to reach 2 million.

Those ass hats' names are being noted and if 5.5 is reached, I will personally torture and stalk them for several months.

These NN's claim to be hardcore MST3K fans.

So little faith.  This is why we can't have anything nice.

I don't know if 5.5 WILL happen, but I know it COULD.  Reaching 2 million in about five days is pretty fucking spectacular if you ask me, but "experts" claim they have seen many Kickstarter campaigns and how they tend to grow and die.

The new host has been announced. A podcaster named "Jonah Ray."

Some are ALREADY complaining about the new host, before one goddamned episode has been created.

I sort of hate those "fans." 

Jonah's host name is "Jonah Heston." No doubt a reference to Charlton Heston's The Omega Man film that Joel has cited as an influence in the origin of MST3K.

Keep circulating the URL
http://www.bringbackmst3k.com/

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on November 16, 2015, 08:47:16 PM
We have movie sign!!!!!!

The minimum 2 million dollar threshold has been reached on Kickstarter!
So shines a good deed in a weary world

I can accept another face in a red jumpsuit, but that yellow one makes me uncomfortable.  The new guy is going to have to work very hard to earn my trust.  8)

ItsOver

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on November 17, 2015, 10:59:56 AM
I can accept another face in a red jumpsuit, but that yellow one makes me uncomfortable.  The new guy is going to have to work very hard to earn my trust.  8)
Same here.  The new guy looks awfully Weinsteinish and, yes, you many times can judge a book by it's cover.  Hell, just look at Noory.  Weinstein was the Noory of MST3K.  Prove me wrong and I'll be glad.  I guess l'll just have to be hated by Cam. ;)

Quote from: ItsOver on November 17, 2015, 11:22:02 AM
Same here.  The new guy looks awfully Weinsteinish and, yes, you many times can judge a book by it's cover.  Hell, just look at Noory.  Weinstein was the Noory of MST3K.  Prove me wrong and I'll be glad.  I guess l'll just have to be hated by Cam. ;)

I was just having a bit of fun with Cam. I'm willing to give the guy a chance.  And while I wasn't a big fan of Josh, even though he was a teenage prodigy, comparing him to Noory is pretty harsh!  You're a tough audience!

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on November 17, 2015, 10:59:56 AM

On a serious (OCD) production note, that shade of yellow... canary or pastel or Easter ribbon ... etc, does bother me.  Instead it could be a more mechanical "mustard" or maybe a psychedelic "wet lemon. " What would also work is what one of my associates - who is both a race car enthusiast and a paint and body man - calls: "School Bus Yellow."

Quote from: ItsOver on November 17, 2015, 11:22:02 AM
Same here.  The new guy looks awfully Weinsteinish and, yes, you many times can judge a book by it's cover.  Hell, just look at Noory.  Weinstein was the Noory of MST3K.  Prove me wrong and I'll be glad.  I guess I'll just have to be hated by Cam. ;)

Heh.  As RGG pointed out, tough crowd to please.

Jonah's going to go through an extremely fiery baptism.

Btw, Weinstein did an excellent job on the Cinematic Titanic project!  ;)

ItsOver

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on November 17, 2015, 05:56:54 PM
On a serious (OCD) production note, that shade of yellow... canary or pastel or Easter ribbon ... etc, does bother me.  Instead it could be a more mechanical "mustard" or maybe a psychedelic "wet lemon. " What would also work is what one of my associates - who is both a race car enthusiast and a paint and body man - calls: "School Bus Yellow."

Heh.  As RGG pointed out, tough crowd to please.

Jonah's going to go through an extremely fiery baptism.

Btw, Weinstein did an excellent job on the Cinematic Titanic project!  ;)
It's the old "big shoes to fill" saw.  I wish the new crew the best but they'll definitely have to earn it. It's hard to duplicate a classic.  I'm still waiting for the next Bogart.

Oh, and before I forget, RiffTrax's next live performance is next month, with the honest-to-God-real-life Mike and Servo, well at least his voice and wit!  What's Christmas without the ice cream bunny.

http://www.fathomevents.com/event/rifftrax-live-santa-and-the-ice-cream-bunny/buy

"We have helm 2.2 million dollars, Captain."

"Increase speed to 2.3.  Steady as she goes, Mr. Cthulhu.  Keep circulating the URL."

"Aye aye, Captain."

Revealed:  The unfinished Steve Vance sketch of the full-size campaign poster.

And it's gorgeous: Crow/Dr. Frankenstein and Servo/Igor.

Servo would be shocked if he found out "Igor" did not appear in Shelley's novel.

Then again, there are inconsistencies about Turner & Hooch that never came to light, and Servo doesn't give a rat's ass about that little dark corner of Hollywood.

Keep Circulating the URL:

Thanksgiving Day Marathon specifics:

Starting at 9 am PT/12 pm ET on Thursday, November 26th, visit

www.BringBackMST3K.com

to join the Turkey Day festivities, featuring six classic episodes hand-picked by Hodgson himself.

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on November 21, 2015, 12:44:55 AM

www.BringBackMST3K.com

to join the Turkey Day festivities, featuring six classic episodes hand-picked by Hodgson himself.

Thanks for the heads up!  Now that I finally have twenty-first century viewing technology, I'll be able to watch it on a big ass TV instead of a computer screen. Despite all the problems, living in the First World occasionally has its advantages. 

And I'm begging you, Cam!  Stay away from Prisoner Ouija boards!

ItsOver

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on November 21, 2015, 12:44:55 AM

www.BringBackMST3K.com

Hot Damn!  Just the right thing for Noory Day.  Turkeys for a turkey.  I'll have to escape from the relatives early to catch some of this.

P.S. -  Just noted this at the site, FYI.
"Also, for those of you who like to live by your own rules and timetable: Pluto TV will run the broadcast as a livestream, while Yahoo will have a different version of the marathon available on-demand, so that you can watch whenever you want.."   

The Internet knows we've been talking about the return of MST3K, because I've seen a couple of Turkey Day ads here in place of the usual melting pot of international dating sites today.  Has anyone else seen those?