• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

MST3K and RiffTrax

Started by ItsOver, July 12, 2014, 11:09:58 AM

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on November 25, 2015, 01:19:31 PM
Selah.

I'd tell you to have a Happy Turkey Day, MST3K and otherwise, but I'm sure you already have that covered.  Hope you get seconds on the Sampo!

Only half an hour until Turkey Day Marathon movie sign!  Woo Hoo!

Aw, nuts! I got my time zones mixed up and missed the first hour.  :-\  Oh well.  Enjoy your Thanksgiving Sampo, everyone!

coaster

I was late to the party. Saw the end of eegah and watched gorgo.

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on November 26, 2015, 12:21:13 AM
I'd tell you to have a Happy Turkey Day, MST3K and otherwise, but I'm sure you already have that covered.  Hope you get seconds on the Sampo!

Covered faster than the City of Houston's Max's Ford Car Dealership parking lot in 1923 for Billy Sunday's Traveling Tent Revival and Sampo Demon Frog in a Jar Save Your Soul Show - just before the violent thunderstorm that hit downtown like something out of the Book of Revelation!

Many came to the Lord by the end of that week, despite the initial sparse attendance.

IT'S BEAUTIFUL! IT'S SO BEAUTIFUL!!!

The new cast looks horribad but it's MST3K so I'm sure I'll watch all of it.

coaster

Quote from: VoteQuimby on November 26, 2015, 09:26:39 PM
The new cast looks horribad but it's MST3K so I'm sure I'll watch all of it.
I understand that things change and evolve, but I am not looking forward to the cast. I'm just too used to the original guys and I hate change. Crow's new voice is similar,  but Tom's annoys me. And hes already cracking jokes about being black, so theres that..why even mention that? Eh.

Quote from: coaster on November 26, 2015, 09:37:26 PM
I understand that things change and evolve, but I am not looking forward to the cast. I'm just too used to the original guys and I hate change. Crow's new voice is similar,  but Tom's annoys me. And hes already cracking jokes about being black, so theres that..why even mention that? Eh.

They're going the politically correct route like all of comedy where it's concentrating on not offending instead of being funny. I'll give it a shot though. Servo's voice completely threw me off at first but watching the promos, it seems the bots could be decent.

Although in the promos when the new MAD was a foxy young female comedian who pulled out a ukulele I was like Oh Christ, what alt comedy hell did I just walk into? Her song was good though. She could be alright. I'll give it a chance.

Is that dumpy nerdy guy the new test subject/host?

It's almost like a bunch of kids pretending to do MST3K on public access which has the potential to be awesome. It's going to be weird as hell but I'm going to give it a chance and hope it succeeds.

coaster

Yeah, the nerd is the new host. And that is exactly what it feels like. Kids doing a mst3k ripoff. Joel did say he and Mike would host some of the episodes, so thats worth looking forward to.

Quote from: coaster on November 26, 2015, 09:53:06 PM
Yeah, the nerd is the new host. And that is exactly what it feels like. Kids doing a mst3k ripoff. Joel did say he and Mike would host some of the episodes, so thats worth looking forward to.

It all depends on the writing and riffing, that's 95% of the show. What scares me is if these young comedians do the majority of the writing, I could really see the show sucking. Tom Servo's rant about being a black guy was a bit of a clue in that direction. But again I want it to succeed and I'm willing to give it a chance.

I also want to see the MST3K storyline advance. What's Mike doing in Wisconsin? Is Joel still in the Outback? Is Brain Guy still God of a loser dimension? Is Bo-Bo still in the zoo? What's Pearl doing? Where's Dr. Forrester and TV's Frank?

It's going to be weird. Like Star Wars novels that aren't officially part of the story. What would be really sick is if a cable network picks up the show from this guerrilla effort.

Art Bell came back. MST3K is coming back. Beavis and Butthead came back. All we need is a new Rage Against The Machine album and everything I loved as a child will have returned.

coaster

Beavis and Butthead was awesome. I wish Mike Judge would bring back King Of The Hill.

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on November 26, 2015, 07:42:31 PM
Covered faster than the City of Houston's Max's Ford Car Dealership parking lot in 1923 for Billy Sunday's Traveling Tent Revival and Sampo Demon Frog in a Jar Save Your Soul Show - just before the violent thunderstorm that hit downtown like something out of the Book of Revelation!

Many came to the Lord by the end of that week, despite the initial sparse attendance.

Evangelists have always loved holding afternoon revival meetings in Houston because they provide an abundance of low hanging fruit.  There are always plenty of attendees who succumb to heat stroke, and it takes very little effort to convince them that what they actually felt was the Hand of God Almighty.

Billy Sunday was also an outstanding defensive National League outfielder for several years in the late 19th Century because he was able to pray fly balls right into his hands.

I'm going to give the new cast a chance. It's going to be so weird having to get used to new people but I'll give it a chance.

I was initially totally skeptical until I remembered how awkward the introduction of Pearl as Dr. Clayton Forrester's mother at the end of the Comedy Central days was. But she evolved into like one of my favorite characters of all time with Bo-Bo and Brain Guy driving the intergalactic VW Bus.  ;D

That's strange you guys are bringing up Billy Sunday, I was literally just looking at buying a painting of him without knowing a lot about him.

It's a shame the young Sam Kinison wasn't around to preach in sun baked Houston parking lots in the Twenties.  They would have needed to add another wing to Heaven in order to accommodate the bumper crops of souls he would have harvested for the Lord!

With more than $3.17M raised so far, the MST3K campaign is now the SECOND HIGHEST FUNDED KICKSTARTER for any Film & Video project ever.

~Ever~.

The number two spot was previously held by Zach Braff's Wish I Was Here, which raised $3,105,473.

Congratulations, Patton Oswalt, announced as TV's Son of TV's Frank, Kinga Forrester's evil henchman in the MST3K revival.

You nerdy, geeky, magnificent bastard.

You truly look related to TV's Frank.  What a brilliant move on Joel's part. 

I can almost hear thousands of Comic Convention addicts, opening their wallets and pledging faster than The Flash opens his fly when he has to take a Superhero piss.

(I never did tell you how funny I thought your character was on Justified, Paddy.)

The count has jumped from $3.17M to $3.4M in about twenty four hours and the campaign is now up to six guaranteed new episodes of MST3K.

I really wouldn't be that surprised if Patton's fan base tips this Kickstarter into the $4.4M range by the end of the week, giving nine new episodes of MST3K in 2016.

Later this week, Joel will announce the new voice for Gypsy.

Holy Tubular Gypsy body, Batman!

ItsOver

Heads up, fellow Misties and Riffers.  The old crew of Mike, the one and only Mr. Murphy, and the other guy will be riffing live at a theater near you this Thursday.

http://www.rifftrax.com/santa-and-the-ice-cream-bunny

I know.  One odd movie.  But usually the odder the funnier.  Manos, anybody? 

I won't be able to catch this Thursday but the reboot is on my calendar, when I'll definitely have "movie sign!"

Quote from: ItsOver on December 01, 2015, 05:42:06 PM
Heads up, fellow Misties and Riffers.  The old crew of Mike, the one and only Mr. Murphy, and the other guy will be riffing live at a theater near you this Thursday.

http://www.rifftrax.com/santa-and-the-ice-cream-bunny

I know.  One odd movie.  But usually the odder the funnier.  Manos, anybody? 

I won't be able to catch this Thursday but the reboot is on my calendar, when I'll definitely have "movie sign!"

I might try to make the live riffing this Thursday at a local theater, depending on the progression or lack thereof of nefarious activities regarding <censored>

Meanwhile, HOLY MOSES, ~MST3Kickstarter~ is already about to click over onto $3.5M.  Another $100,000 in less than 24 hours.

WOW:

backers

$3,495,868

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on December 01, 2015, 02:38:22 AM
Congratulations, Patton Oswalt, announced as TV's Son of TV's Frank, Kinga Forrester's evil henchman in the MST3K revival.

You nerdy, geeky, magnificent bastard.

You truly look related to TV's Frank.  What a brilliant move on Joel's part. 

I can almost hear thousands of Comic Convention addicts, opening their wallets and pledging faster than The Flash opens his fly when he has to take a Superhero piss.

(I never did tell you how funny I thought your character was on Justified, Paddy.)

The count has jumped from $3.17M to $3.4M in about twenty four hours and the campaign is now up to six guaranteed new episodes of MST3K.

I really wouldn't be that surprised if Patton's fan base tips this Kickstarter into the $4.4M range by the end of the week, giving nine new episodes of MST3K in 2016.

Later this week, Joel will announce the new voice for Gypsy.

Holy Tubular Gypsy body, Batman!

That's an outstanding choice, and I'm guessing PO didn't have to be asked twice!  He has a sharp mind that's quick on its feet, and he's always up to date on current events.  They couldn't have done better!

Unfortunately, I can't make this week's live Riff, either, so it sounds like you'll have to carry the Bell
Gab banner by yourself.  I've no doubt you will do so with panache!

ItsOver

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on December 01, 2015, 07:43:58 PM
That's an outstanding choice, and I'm guessing PO didn't have to be asked twice!  He has a sharp mind that's quick on its feet, and he's always up to date on current events.  They couldn't have done better!

Unfortunately, I can't make this week's live Riff, either, so it sounds like you'll have to carry the Bell
Gab banner by yourself.  I've no doubt you will do so with panache!
He definitely looks the part.  Go for the bunny, Cam.  I'll catch the second helping.

Quote from: ItsOver on December 01, 2015, 07:48:54 PM
He definitely looks the part.  Go for the bunny, Cam.  I'll catch the second helping.

If I go, I am considering taking a fully loaded ancient PEZ that is appropriately themed.  The last time it held candy was circa 1990.

Shout! Factory has announced the next four never released before to DVD MST3K episodes making up the upcoming Volume 35:

315- Teenage Caveman
405- Being from Another Planet
524- 12 To The Moon
703- Deathstalker and the Warriors from Hell

The Kickstarter campaign is about to hit $3.6M, which will mean another $100,000 was pledged in about 24 hours:

backers

$3,592,687
pledged of $2,000,000 goal

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on December 02, 2015, 04:06:55 AM
If I go, I am considering taking a fully loaded ancient PEZ that is appropriately themed.  The last time it held candy was circa 1990.

Did you make it, Cam?  I would have loved to, but last night was my regular geezer jam night so I had to trade one kind of riffing fun for another.  Looking forward to your report if you went!

The weirdest part of that movie is the Thumbelina section that has nothing to do with the main plot, if you can call it a plot. I've seen it without the riffing and it's funny enough as is.

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on December 04, 2015, 01:17:50 PM
Did you make it, Cam?  I would have loved to, but last night was my regular geezer jam night so I had to trade one kind of riffing fun for another.  Looking forward to your report if you went!

It was not meant to be.  I think I jinxed it as soon as I entertained the possibility of attending.

I hope your pentatonics meshed well with your Phrygians while you partook of diminished fifths of whiskey or something like that, and that Geezer Butler was present at times, just beyond the veil, as a tutelary spirit!  Heh.

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on December 04, 2015, 02:56:32 PM
It was not meant to be.  I think I jinxed it as soon as I entertained the possibility of attending.

I hope your pentatonics meshed well with your Phrygians while you partook of diminished fifths of whiskey or something like that, and that Geezer Butler was present at times, just beyond the veil, as a tutelary spirit!  Heh.

That's pretty much how it usually goes down, along with some demented ninth chords, suspendered sevenths, arthritic arpeggios, and a bit of mixing it up with Lydia.

The Kickstarter T-shirt has been revealed. 

It's not completely finished, but so far it's your basic "movie poster on a black shirt" style: