• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art, Design, Photography

Started by coaster, June 23, 2012, 08:07:07 PM

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on November 17, 2013, 01:10:55 AM
Magnified small area of a painting I'm placing in a local show in Jan '14. It's a full figure nude. She is incandescent. Faceless. Armless. Standing in front of a large lake of death and reflection. Feel free to attempt psychological deconstruction. Acrylic on canvas board.

Wow

I just saw an article about the most amazing wood carver. Read this thread for step by step. This guys skill and talent are amazing.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?161218-quot-old-money-quot

onan

Quote from: Agent : Orange on January 19, 2014, 08:24:40 PM
I just saw an article about the most amazing wood carver. Read this thread for step by step. This guys skill and talent are amazing.

WOW!!!

onan

Quote from: Agent : Orange on January 19, 2014, 08:40:24 PM
Yeah I know right!

And I was thinking myself clever for repainting the dining room.

FallenSeraph

Quote from: Agent : Orange on January 19, 2014, 08:24:40 PM

Ahhhhh, how I wish I had the moola to buy that awesome newspaper stack! That guy is CRAZY TALENTED!

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: onan on January 19, 2014, 08:41:06 PM
And I was thinking myself clever for repainting the dining room.

Pah! Tomorrow you can start on the woodworking. Small steps. I'm okay with balsa and ply, but that guy's stuff is incredible.

FallenSeraph

Speaking of wood carving, any of you know what kind of wood this is? This is my next eBay offering.

[attachimg=1]
[attachimg=2]

Would it be easier to tell with a shot of the back?

FallenSeraph

Quote from: Seraphim27 on February 23, 2014, 01:32:35 PM
Speaking of wood carving, any of you know what kind of wood this is? This is my next eBay offering.

Would it be easier to tell with a shot of the back?

The back:

[attachimg=1]

wr250

looks like pine, but as its been stained (on front at least) and shellaced/urethaned (apparently) no way to know.

FallenSeraph

Quote from: wr250 on February 23, 2014, 01:37:08 PM
looks like pine, but as its been stained (on front at least) and shellaced/urethaned (apparently) no way to know.

Thank you. Would it be accurate to describe it as "with a glossy varnish"?

I have no idea how to describe wood.

wr250

i would say shellac or urethane

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Seraphim27 on February 23, 2014, 03:15:02 PM
OK cool - thx!

Yeah, I'd say shellac. Has that 'put on with a stick' appearance you get with shellac. Dilutes with turpentine. Made from beetles--yes really.

:o I can't imagine why you'd want to sell it....

FallenSeraph

Quote from: Threaten the Hoover on February 23, 2014, 03:36:57 PM
:o I can't imagine why you'd want to sell it....

LOL

Yeah, it's creepy and disgusting.

Hoping someone who appreciates a good oddity, taxidermy and/or Ukranian folk art might want it for their cabin. At the moment there are a ton of hoof racks on eBay, but none with woodwork.

The General

Quote from: Seraphim27 on February 23, 2014, 03:55:08 PM
LOL

Yeah, it's creepy and disgusting.

Hoping someone who appreciates a good oddity, taxidermy and/or Ukranian folk art might want it for their cabin. At the moment there are a ton of hoof racks on eBay, but none with woodwork.
I like it.

b_dubb

Quote from: Seraphim27 on February 23, 2014, 01:50:11 PM
Thank you. Would it be accurate to describe it as "with a glossy varnish"?

I have no idea how to describe wood.
I'd like to applaud the restraint members of BellGab.com demonstrated in not making a tasteless pun at this remark

*** deafening applause ***

My goodness Sephim.
I don't know whether to call that a gewgaw or a tchotchke.

Chine

'Piper' portrait and 'Tina' portrait

basswood

Quote from: Chine on September 08, 2014, 03:35:40 PM

Those are VERY nice, Chine. You've got a very expressive hand with the pastel pencils and I think it was an excellent choice for those dogs. (I've always had troubling handling soft pastels and am jealous of those who can do it so well).

basswood

Here's a few I did of a friend's dogs:

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

[attachimg=3]

Chine

Those are very lovely, Basswood. Love all three of them. Sweet expressions and the color in the third one.  And, thank you. I only began taking pastels seriously months ago.  Primarily, my works are with paints, color ink dyes, gouache. Pastels take such patience in blending and constantly layering it on til it has the rich quality. And go through ugly stages til you get to detailing.

basswood

Quote from: Chine on September 08, 2014, 05:19:20 PM
Those are very lovely, Basswood. Love all three of them. Sweet expressions and the color in the third one.  And, thank you. I only began taking pastels seriously months ago.  Primarily, my works are with paints, color ink dyes, gouache. Pastels take such patience in blending and constantly layering it on til it has the rich quality. And go through ugly stages til you get to detailing.

Ha :) Well you certainly have shown both your mastery and patience. I unfortunately lack the patience to ever master the pastels. I always end up with one big smear. The oils are much more forgiving. Would love to see more from you.

I just looked at the Raquel Welch pictures over on the "just watched" thread. Both have a model photo shoot feel.

Chine

Haha. Yes, Afghans do have that 'look'. Both Piper and Tina are gorgeous dogs. And these were commissions. I really just focused on head study to capture their spirit and expression. Both of them are grandkids to our dogs. These are not the photos I used, I kinda followed a mix of different photos...and then did it out of my own idea, mind, memory. Here they are.

HorrorRetro

Wow, the amount of detail you get is really spectacular! Love them.  :)

Took this yesterday while walking through our little town. The fog hadn't burned off the bay yet.

http://ginagothejackson.smugmug.com/Pacific-Northwest-Nature/i-7PBFxtm

Chine

Quote from: HorrorRetro on September 08, 2014, 09:08:21 PM
Wow, the amount of detail you get is really spectacular! Love them.  :)

Took this yesterday while walking through our little town. The fog hadn't burned off the bay yet.

http://ginagothejackson.smugmug.com/Pacific-Northwest-Nature/i-7PBFxtm

Thanks! My God, those are stunning! Gina, just breathtaking! Btw, love the little chipmunk.  :)