• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Ian Punnett

Started by sillydog, April 06, 2008, 04:15:35 PM

What do you listen to when you can't take C2C anymore?

Nothing
Mainstream talk radio
Progressive talk radio
Music
TV
Podcasts

EvB

Just in my own defense here - THIS thread is sticky?  I made this one too!   ;:) Had it planned for the first dissenter - and it took about an hour - at most.

Still -- good move.

EvB

ROTFLM@O!

You know - I dunno why - but I've NEVER been able to change my font size here. 

Oh, what damage I could do on one of my rants  :-X

11angeleyes11

I like Ian and usually enjoy his interviews.  He does a different type of interview than George and that is what is so refreshing.  He attempts to have a dialogue with the guest and intermix some humor into it.  Usually, by Saturday nite, I do not keep late hours, but I do catch his interviews on podcast. 

It would really be boring if everynite was like the weekly show.  I think that Ian's guests and topics are a nice change although they may be outside of the paranormal realm.  I listened to his show Coast to Coast Live? when it was on at an earlier time and thought that he did  a great job with it and was disappointed when it collasped. 

EvB

Quotei thought ian should have been given the show the FIRST time art retired.

That is one place where you and I differ a bit.  Ian does not "suffer fools gladly"  That's something I admire in him - but I'm not sure how it would wear 5 nights a week in the c2c format. And, you gotta admit - even Art had his share of fools - even among his regular guests.

I think they chose to go with to go with bland rather than a dramatic shift in paradigm. Of course - now we have the bland leading the bland in George.

Would giving Ian the captain's chair made for good radio?  Yes - I think it would have.  Would it have made good business sense to the bean counters?  I suspect not .  No matter how they handled the change - they were bound to have fan fall off - and have to rebuild.  Yes, they have had that with George - but I think that it would have been a much faster roller coaster ride with Ian at the helm, with a sharper arc in both directions.  They may have decided they could not risk it.

All of that is just conjecture I pulled out of my butt - still - it may apply.

EvB

QuoteI listened to his show Coast to Coast Live? when it was on at an earlier time and thought that he did  a great job with it and was disappointed when it collasped.

Same here - it was a slightly different model and so Ian's being his own man didn't create such a feeling of contrast in most people's minds.  I still go back ot the old podcasts of those shows from time to time.

EvB

A picture linked through Ian's blog - and his comment:

QuoteBy the way, that's not the caterpillar's face.
Doesn't that give you the idea for a great tattoo?

Centurion73

Rant away if you will and feel the need it was a question and you answered it how you did, is what it is and shows what it shows that is all, nothing more nor less.

Should there be a pro-Punnett thread, yes.

My question was were you going  to allow other members who or whom are not mods to set up rules for the threads they create?

I just thought in the small pointy head of mine that this forum was predicated on the dissenter having a voice to be heard.

If what you have to say is intended to derail this thread - or to spin it in a negative direction (in MY judgment) I will, without any apology or hesitation, move your post to another thread.  Re-posting it here will get it deleted.  Depending on how pissed I get about a re-post - it may be deleted form BOTH threads.

Now we have protected personage, censorship  control and newspeak (orwellian) with but a few mouse clicks.

Hehe.

Yeah I find Ian to be quite genuine. I've always said I liked him, so I don't need to indulge. I guess that's my favorite thing about him though. He's incredibly open. Makes you feel like you could easily have an enjoyable drink with him. Not to say, of course, that this is always what I look for in a person. Sometimes the more enigmatic personality is more interesting. But it's one of Ian's likable qualities. I honestly don't smell bullshit from him.

Well, all I have to say BAD about Ian is that he isn't good for scary stuff. Ya know, like..I can't see him seriously doing Ghost to Ghost. Just not his forte, IMO.

Also, I'd like to take this opportunity to say: "Chill."

There honestly is no unjust censorship here. I've never been edited or deleted once, and I'm beyond controversial. I don't see why everyone keeps claiming that their opinion is being somehow stifled. This is one of the fairest boards I've encountered. Generally if something seems deleted, it's probably just in transit somewhere else. So it's all gravy, baby.  8)

EvB

Quote from: Pirate King Atomsk on May 31, 2009, 02:09:47 PM

Hehe.

Makes you feel like you could easily have an enjoyable drink with him.

Try Coffee!

Punnett Quote:

QuoteI don't drink - except for communion wine - ick!

EvB

Quote from: Pirate King Atomsk on May 31, 2009, 02:23:30 PM
Well, all I have to say BAD about Ian is that he isn't good for scary stuff. Ya know, like..I can't see him seriously doing Ghost to Ghost. Just not his forte, IMO.

I could -once maybe -  but it would be different.  You're right in general.

Centurion73

Quote from: Pirate King Atomsk on May 31, 2009, 02:23:30 PM

Also, I'd like to take this opportunity to say: "Chill."

There honestly is no unjust censorship here. I've never been edited or deleted once, and I'm beyond controversial. I don't see why everyone keeps claiming that their opinion is being somehow stifled. This is one of the fairest boards I've encountered. Generally if something seems deleted, it's probably just in transit somewhere else. So it's all gravy, baby.  8)

I agree with you mostly and the forum is one of the best hands down. However, when you start deciding as the sole arbitrator of what may or may not constitute
Quote(in MY judgment)
or
QuoteDepending on how pissed I get about a re-post - it may be deleted form BOTH threads.

the free exchange of ideas without fear of retribution suffers.

I have no beef with EvB and or anyone here I was questioning the rules pertaining to threads. Evb has put up with a lot from me and I respect her as I do most of you, even though I do not know any of you personally or always agree with you. I base said respect on your post and how you answer or defend your positions. Nothing I said was done out of disrespect or to incite harsh words or treatment of others. When you start to draw lines of what is permissible in your mind  on "your" thread on a sight called GNS is kind of hypocritical IMO. 

QuoteCensorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself.  It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime.  ~Potter Stewart

Knapp Fan

Ian has the most annoying stutter when trying to begin sentences... it's not like a normal amount, which wouldn't bother me, but I'd say ~50% of his total syllables are "uh, so, [indistinct guttural sound], ..."

He's better than George Noory (who wouldn't be) when he's saying actual words, but his inarticulate stuttering ruins it for me. I'd rather listen to Snoory. 

Not to mention Ian is maddeningly redundant, he'll ask a question of the guest and then before the guest can answer, repeat the same question three more times, phrased a little differently. Or he'll set up his question so it's obvious what he's asking, he telegraphs it but will ramble for five more minutes getting the question out, getting it phrased the exact way he wants it, after many starts and stops.

Does Ian have a speech disorder in his background? Seriously. Because I can't think of another explanation.

Centurion73

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on May 31, 2009, 02:20:02 AM
centurion... i went ahead and made your thread sticky along with ev's just for aesthetics and geometrical balance.

Yeah I have ways to make Evb sticky as you can see  ;D.

QuoteEvB  Just in my own defense here - THIS thread is sticky?  I made this one too!

slipstream

Ian talks about is family life a bit.  I like a talk show host that is a little open about personal life.  Art Bell is the same way. 

EvB

Quote from: slipstream on June 01, 2009, 01:44:12 PM
Ian talks about is family life a bit.  I like a talk show host that is a little open about personal life.  Art Bell is the same way.

Tue enough -- Ian is a bit more protective, but then both he and his wife are in a very "public" business - and they don't live out in the middle of noplace.  They are urban.  So - his high-school aged boys are "Itchy and Scratchy" to the public.  He did slip once and refer to one of them by name on his Am show - but it was quick, and not something I felt a "need to know" so I didnt' catch it.

Then again - Art is pretty Urban in Manila - and the stupid papers have put out that "Bell hates the Philippines" letter again (or did a few months ago) - but that's been going on long since long before Asia was born, so I suppose that ship had already sailed.

11angeleyes11

Quote from: slipstream on June 01, 2009, 01:44:12 PM
I don't know for sure, but George has no life but Tommy and we hear about Tommy enough already.  Yes, I loved Art Bell and his cat stories and about the Bell family.  Ian talks about what he does before the show, like going to see "Angels and Demons", doing his lawn, having surgery.  He is very likable.  George Knapp has so much good information on his show there is not much time for deviation.

EvB

QuoteGeorge Knapp has so much good information on his show there is not much time for deviation.

I think that's what threw me about the "Good George" at first - it seemed like a lack of personal touch by contrast. But yes - he's very very good, very professional, and I've learned to listen to him for himself and not by comparison.

nika01

I am not in favor of this separate thread, but will respect the wishes of its creator.  You dont get to choose the good Ian from the bad Ian on the radio, you get both by default.

All of the good qualities that he has are trumped by the ego maniacal insider baseball he plays with guests where he thinks he knows as much if not more than the guest .  Sometimes this is true, but, most of the time, it is just plane annoying.

I do like his Crypto-news. Not much else. He used to be much better. He has degenerated in my opinion.

Centurion73

Quote from: nika01 on June 01, 2009, 08:08:09 PM

I am not in favor of this separate thread, but will respect the wishes of its creator.  You dont get to choose the good Ian from the bad Ian on the radio, you get both by default.

All of the good qualities that he has are trumped by the ego maniacal insider baseball he plays with guests where he thinks he knows as much if not more than the guest .  Sometimes this is true, but, most of the time, it is just plane annoying.

I do like his Crypto-news. Not much else. He used to be much better. He has degenerated in my opinion.

I think EvB has a right to that thread and should have it, the wording of her opening statement is what I had/have issue with not her.

You hit the Ian on the head with your synopsis of how he acts like to guest and issues (the ones I put in bold).

Unlike you I hate his crypto news as it and most of his "news" is weeks or even moths old or I read way to much?

How hard is it to say Coast to Coast AM? I swear they way he does it it sounds like he is taking a shit and pushing one out on air.

I do think he was better at one time but I think he gave up and sold out but it could be he is still bitter about loosing his show when Art came back and took weekends from him, that show fit him better.

I think now he has no control over what direction  the shows are going in. I think he mistreated that one caller saying "you have been on 2minutes and 30 seconds" because as we know "Ian does not suffer fools lightly" (I wish Ian would define what he would term a fool so they would not call him)  ;D. He closed his small mind to what the audience member had to say, does he time his religious callers like that? Then he said "other people are waiting" no shit, really?

xpmark12

It is said that "Ian does not suffer fools lightly".This normally is a good quality, the only trouble anyone who has a different opinion than Ian is treated like they are a fool.

nika01

He looks like he has nice teeth.

EvB

Quote from: nika01 on June 02, 2009, 05:25:10 PM
He looks like he has nice teeth.

I think that's called "Damning with faint praise" but it's too f'n funny not to let it stand.  ;D

Centurion73

Quote from: xpmark12 on June 02, 2009, 04:17:01 PM
It is said that "Ian does not suffer fools lightly".This normally is a good quality, the only trouble anyone who has a different opinion than Ian is treated like they are a fool.

In the immortal words of Mr. Bell, THAT'S A BIG DING!

Centurion73

I have to say that even though Ms. EvB and I differ on the greatness of one Mr. Punnette although I have agreed with her a few times on points and she with me I think the following will show what kind of community is on this forum. I could not load a avatar and even though we had/have or differences I asked her for help and she was gracious enough and in no time she supplied me with the one you see, she even picked it out for me and I could not have picked a better one myself, thank you.

P.S. Ian is still... ;D

EvB

You're more than welcome for he avatar -- but I think we should change your name from Centurion to Mr. Brinksman - as you SO love dancing on the brink . . .  :P

mrsthursday

Ian Punnett is the only reason I even stay around C2C. Yes he can be a pain, but does have a sense of humour and he is smart.
I know he does waffle on a bit but he is an excellent interviewer. Unlike GN and GKnapp he doesn't assume you know who these clowns er guests are and to be honest the calibre of the interviewee is way better with Ian. George's guests suck

PS I know this isn't about GN but I do feel it necessary to emphasis his suckery at every opportunity. :)

Frys Girl

Quote from: Centurion73 on June 01, 2009, 08:43:12 PM
Unlike you I hate his crypto news as it and most of his "news" is weeks or even moths old or I read way to much?

How hard is it to say Coast to Coast AM? I swear they way he does it it sounds like he is taking a shit and pushing one out on air.

I do think he was better at one time but I think he gave up and sold out but it could be he is still bitter about loosing his show when Art came back and took weekends from him, that show fit him better.

I think now he has no control over what direction  the shows are going in. I think he mistreated that one caller saying "you have been on 2minutes and 30 seconds" because as we know "Ian does not suffer fools lightly" (I wish Ian would define what he would term a fool so they would not call him)  ;D. He closed his small mind to what the audience member had to say, does he time his religious callers like that? Then he said "other people are waiting" no shit, really?
These are all correct. I agree X 1000. He sucks.

I think he has an anger issue, and unlike most angry radio dudes, it isn't funny.