• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Louisiana flood woes in 2016.....where's Obama?

Started by 21st Century Man, August 18, 2016, 10:50:24 AM

Quote from: Empress on August 21, 2016, 02:06:20 PM
Oh 21, sometimes you can be so naive. ;) He's talking about how incompetent FEMA was (the whole point of the video I posted). People needed help, FEMA wasn't there to help them and the leader of the country was doing absolutely nothing to help. The fly over was a joke due to everything else going on. The whole point is context.   It seems like it's hard for you to think critically about a situation because your heart is filled with so much hate for Obama. It makes me sad to see your Christian values tested so much. Step back and think critically about this and stop making it so political.

Because Obama hired competent people, who are able to do their jobs and manage disasters, he doesn't need to be there to oversee people doing their jobs and divert critical resources. Simple.  Brown was hilarious unqualified bozo and didn't know anything going on in New Orleans for days after Katrina hit as the video I linked shows. Bush was also clueless and telling Brown he was doing a heck of a job while not even knowing the Convention center existed for 5 days.

So yeah. If you think an event where between 1,245â€"1,836 people died is comparable to an event where 13 people died is comparable you really should step back and think about why. There is NOTHING comparable to Katrina, in part, due to the Obama administration's handling of the situation. But keep trying to score those meaningless echo chamber political points.

Obama pointedly criticizes Bush at :38-:45 for viewing the disaster from the plane.  I am not in disagreement regarding FEMA and Michael Brown.  Yes, Bush appointed the wrong man to head FEMA.  He deserves criticism for Brown's handling of the crisis. I'm just pointing out the double standard.  I will say that you minimize the damage caused by the flooding.

Instead of the conservative figure of 40,000 homes damaged, it appears that there were up to 110,000 homes damaged.  Katrina only damaged around 75,000 homes. So to say that there was nothing comparable to Katrina is simply not true.  Sure, there was a lot more death with Katrina but the flooding will impact many more families than Katrina did.

The floodwaters that swept through south Louisiana over the past week may have reached 31 percent of the homes in Baton Rouge and the eight surrounding parishes, according to a detailed but preliminary economic analysis of the disaster released Friday.

The report from the Baton Rouge Area Chamber translates that figure into an estimate of roughly 110,000 homes, valued at $20.7 billion, that could have flooded because they were located in neighborhoods where water pooled. The homes included in the analysis are spread across East Baton Rouge, Livingston, Ascension, East Feliciana, Iberville, Pointe Coupee, St. Helena, West Baton Rouge and West Feliciana.

The potential damage figure is far higher than any put forward thus far. State officials have said over the past week that at least 40,000 homes were thought to have flooded, although BRAC officials cautioned that the 110,000 homes in flooded areas may not all have taken on water, accounting for some of the discrepancy.

The new analysis makes clear that Livingston Parish was the hardest-hit parish, with a whopping 86.6 percent of its homes located in flooded areas. Just 21.7 percent Livingston Parish homes are covered by flood insurance, suggesting that perhaps three-fourths of those who flooded will be forced to go into debt or tap savings to rebuild.

That group, in Livingston Parish alone, could number in the tens of thousands, the analysis suggests.

http://www.theadvocate.com/louisiana_flood_2016/article_62b54a48-662a-11e6-aade-afd357ccc11f.html

chefist

448 Murders in Chicago this year thus far...ole Barry should pay the Windy City a visit too!

Or is the death counts from the floods and murders still too low for attention? Guess so...

Jackstar

The floods in that delta will continue to worsen as they have done so for years. To say that the region is more prepared now than it was before isn't really saying much.

Think about causes. Maybe even research a few.