• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Midnight In The Desert

Started by Falkie2013, December 12, 2015, 01:13:40 AM

Catsmile

Quote from: moosie on April 22, 2018, 10:15:41 PM
You can't find a fever if you don't take a temp :)

# Whatz The Difference Between An Oral Thermometer & Anal Thermometer
# THE TASTE
# OOOOH!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHsIf7rtD6c

Zenman

Quote from: Catsmile on April 22, 2018, 09:00:56 PM
# In Russia Firemen Put House On Fire
# Not Put House Fire Out

Also in Fahrenheit 451. (Books tho.)

trostol

Quote from: FallenSeraph on April 22, 2018, 09:48:56 PM
Yeah, but she was living with him, right? So she'll have to find somewhere to go. And if the show goes on, she'll have to redefine it and make it her own. And he was maybe a mentor or even a fatherly figure or at the least, a very good friend -- who knows. All I know is big changes combined with loss can really mess you up.

I've never listened to her so I should probably just STFU. I liked her when she was Redacted though. In that respect, I care about her -- at least as much as you can on a faceless, anonymous forum.

the exact thing everyone said when she first took over?

zeebo

Quote from: trostol on April 22, 2018, 11:50:44 PM
the exact thing everyone said when she first took over?

Yeah it's weird, it's like she put herself in the position of only doing it if she could do Art's show, which of course, no one but Art could do that.  It's at this point George Noory's philosophy of not bothering with such pretense is starting to look pretty savvy.

Lt.Uhura

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 22, 2018, 10:21:04 PM
Because we all know that outlawing alcohol and tobacco, the two biggest threats to a human’s health, has been so effective in showing the government truly relies on CDC studies to tackle the root of the problem.

Oh wait. They fund the studies, year after year, and still don’t do anything? 

How many people die from gunshot wounds compared to lung cancer, pancreatitis, cirrhosis, mouth, throat and stomach/colon cancers and drunk driving?

Who said anything about “outlawing” and “banning”? Your words. You seem to have a problem comprehending the idea of established scientific norms for research into disease morbidity and mortality. It’s a good thing medical researchers worldwide don’t base their conclusions on such simple-minded subjective opinions.  ;)

This might help answer your burning questions about gun deaths in the U.S...

http://webappa.cdc.gov/sasweb/ncipc/leadcause.html

Scroll down about halfway, click ‘submit request’ and a window will open showing the top ten causes of death in 2016 (the most recent data available)

In this new window you can click each square for detailed information on those causes of death. But at first glance you’ll see that that homicide (red), and suicide (green) are within the top ten causes of death across nearly all age groups, with firearms being the most popular method. There are additional firearm deaths included in the (blue), “Unintentional Injury” categories.

For an example, note the homicides by firearms in children aged 10-14 and you’ll see there were 95 deaths in this category. 160 children in this same age group died by firearm suicide, and another 23 deaths resulted from unintentional firearm injuries.

By comparison, 39 children aged 10-14 died of the Flu & Pneumonia.

Incidentally, suicide is now the 10th leading cause of death in all ages in the U.S., more than half of those by firearms.

Additionally, firearm injuries cost our healthcare system roughly $3 billion annually.
http://hub.jhu.edu/2017/10/04/gun-violence-cost-injury-study/

So you tell me, does gun violence represent a significant public health issue in the U.S., or should people like moosie and me just consider the issue job security?

GravitySucks

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on April 23, 2018, 12:39:35 AM
Who said anything about “outlawing” and “banning”? Your words. You seem to have a problem comprehending the idea of established scientific norms for research into disease morbidity and mortality. It’s a good thing medical researchers worldwide don’t base their conclusions on such simple-minded subjective opinions.  ;)

This might help answer your burning questions about gun deaths in the U.S...

http://webappa.cdc.gov/sasweb/ncipc/leadcause.html

Scroll down about halfway, click ‘submit request’ and a window will open showing the top ten causes of death in 2016 (the most recent data available)

In this new window you can click each square for detailed information on those causes of death. But at first glance you’ll see that that homicide (red), and suicide (green) are within the top ten causes of death across nearly all age groups, with firearms being the most popular method. There are additional firearm deaths included in the (blue), “Unintentional Injury” categories.

For an example, note the homicides by firearms in children aged 10-14 and you’ll see there were 95 deaths in this category. 160 children in this same age group died by firearm suicide, and another 23 deaths resulted from unintentional firearm injuries.

By comparison, 39 children aged 10-14 died of the Flu & Pneumonia.

Incidentally, suicide is now the 10th leading cause of death in all ages in the U.S., more than half of those by firearms.

Additionally, firearm injuries cost our healthcare system roughly $3 billion annually.
http://hub.jhu.edu/2017/10/04/gun-violence-cost-injury-study/

So you tell me, do firearms represent a significant public health issue in the U.S., or should people like moosie and me just consider the issue job security?

We should build the wall, deport all illegal aliens, outlaw alcohol and tobacco and then recalibrate.

There is nothing in the bill of rights that says you have a right to alcohol or tobacco.

Why study anything if you aren’t going to do anything with the results?

yoursongs

Near the bottom of the current MITD home page there is this little gem:

Lt.Uhura

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 23, 2018, 12:44:37 AM
We should build the wall, deport all illegal aliens, outlaw alcohol and tobacco and then recalibrate.

There is nothing in the bill of rights that says you have a right to alcohol or tobacco.

You must be joking.

But if not, try googling Germ Theory for just one early example of a “study” that changed the practice of medicine forever.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on April 23, 2018, 01:06:56 AM
You must be joking.

But if not, try googling Germ Theory for just one early example of a “study” that changed the practice of medicine forever.

You keep deflecting. Firearm deaths are trivial compared to the amount caused by alcohol and tobacco. They are trivial when compared to the deaths and injuries caused by illegal aliens.

Lt.Uhura

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 23, 2018, 01:09:18 AM
You keep deflecting. Firearm deaths are trivial compared to the amount caused by alcohol and tobacco. They are trivial when compared to the deaths and injuries caused by illegal aliens.

Trivial? Based on what data?

On second thought, don’t bother offering data. Just have another drink. Cheers! 🍸

GravitySucks

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on April 23, 2018, 01:16:08 AM

On second thought, don’t bother offering data. Just have another drink. Cheers! 🍸

Trivial based on the data you just provided. I don’t drink. Or smoke. And none of my guns have killed anyone. 

Rix Gins

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 23, 2018, 12:44:37 AM

"I'll give you my half empty bottle of gin when you pry it from my cold, dead hands"
                                                                                                            Rix Gins

Rocketeer

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 23, 2018, 01:18:12 AM
Trivial based on the data you just provided. I don’t drink. Or smoke. And none of my guns have killed anyone.

AZZERAE

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on April 22, 2018, 06:13:36 PM
Same place they've been all along.  Last on the list.

But don't you remember? Art said it was never about the money, never.

After all, they are "carrying on the tradition" and all that.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Rix Gins on April 23, 2018, 01:22:53 AM
"I'll give you my half empty bottle of gin when you pry it from my cold, dead hands"
                                                                                                            Rix Gins

Just pointing out the ridiculous nature of progressive arguments that try to use statistics for representing the evil nature of guns.

If we are going to use a data driven approach, lets attack alcohol, tobacco and prescription drugs.

Personally I don’t think the government should control access to alcohol tobacco or drugs but they should enforce existing laws and stop giving probation for things like DWI. You want to cut down on drunk driving deaths?  Install a breathalyzer ignition interlock in every vehicle. If the government can mandate seatbelts they can mandate interlocks.

p.s. and illegal aliens

AZZERAE

Quote from: FallenSeraph on April 22, 2018, 09:31:41 PM
I can relate to the Heather meltdowns. My dad just died and everything is horrible. It's not just the avalanche of grief and the sudden universe-shaped hole in your life, but it's also feeling lost and the harsh reality of having to redefine yourself.

So one weird side effect for me is the urge to just grab strangers in the grocery store and blurt out "MY DAD IS DEAD AND EVERYTHING SUCKS." (I haven't yet though.)

Or tonight, for instance, I'm supposed to be writing a bunch of stuff for a trucking company. I don't know why I even agreed to do it because my finances are fine and I still get severance pay from my last job for a few more months.

So all night, I've been about 2 seconds away from sending an email to this company that says, "I'm sorry. I just can't do this. My father is dead" or something equally inappropriate.

But that would be unprofessional as hell.

But yeah, I've been his caregiver for 5 years and now we have to sell the family house and my mom's getting a condo, so I'll have to get in my hoopty car and figure out where to go and what the hell I'm going to do. It's a scary feeling, not knowing who you are or where you're going. I'm beyond scared. Lost as hell.

I imagine Heather's feeling some of the same stuff. She should stay off social media for a while. This depth of fear and pain and loss can make you share too much and act irrationally.

Case in point: This long-ass post and my sudden delight in the gentle mocking of Senda. 😉 Therapeutic!

I thought MV's advice to her in Gabcast last night was excellent.

I'm sorry for your loss.

AZZERAE

Quote from: zeebo on April 23, 2018, 12:14:15 AM
Yeah it's weird, it's like she put herself in the position of only doing it if she could do Art's show, which of course, no one but Art could do that.  It's at this point George Noory's philosophy of not bothering with such pretense is starting to look pretty savvy.

Yes, good on George Noory. A+

Rocketeer

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 23, 2018, 01:31:55 AM
...yet

I think the underlying point is that Lockheed Martin's toys are always going to beat Sig Sauer's.  Know what I mean?  So in effect the Second Amendment -- or the commonest reason for invoking it -- hasn't had any teeth since oh about the end of WWI.

Remember Art's Black Hawk test flight in Alaska?  The nanometric infrared detectors that are better than x-ray vision and at thousands of yards?  You're just not going to win if They want to get you, so don't pretend that's the reason you collect firearms.  Own up to the fact that the gunlust is in fact mostly unreasonable and inexplicable, like love.

I'd wager that doing so would completely melt progressive antagonism.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Rocketeer on April 23, 2018, 01:42:28 AM
I think the underlying point is that Lockheed Martin's toys are always going to beat Sig Sauer's.  Know what I mean?  So in effect the Second Amendment -- or the commonest reason for invoking it -- hasn't had any teeth since oh about the end of WWI.

Remember Art's Black Hawk test flight in Alaska?  The nanometric infrared detectors that are better than x-ray vision and at thousands of yards?  You're just not going to win if They want to get you, so don't pretend that's the reason you collect firearms.  Own up to the fact that the gunlust is in fact mostly unreasonable and inexplicable, like love.

I'd wager that doing so would completely melt progressive antagonism.

Surely you jest. WTF has taken 40 years and the armies and air forces of the Soviet Union and NATO to almost kind of sort of somewhat harass a bunch of opium smoking goat herders?

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on April 23, 2018, 01:16:08 AM

Pretty easy data to find, just go to the CDC.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr64/nvsr64_02.pdf

We really need to be focused on heart disease and then go down the list. Political hot point issues like gun violence or AIDS are pop cultural/partisan political red herrings y'all fall for due to the media narrative created around them, but aren't really major causes of death.

Rocketeer

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 23, 2018, 01:45:13 AM
Surely you jest. WTF has taken 40 years and the armies and air forces of the Soviet Union and NATO to almost kind of sort of somewhat harass a bunch of opium smoking goat herders?

I believe geologists refer to it as the Hindu Kush, or sometimes as the upper portion of Earth's tallest and most rugged mountain range.

A war of attrition is an interesting posture to adopt as a positive case; it can't escape your notice that "goat herders," or in a different war's context, rice farmers, are the level of survival you're signing on for when electing to bring your guns to the drone/fighter jet/submarine/Abrams tank fight.

Don't mean to ensnare us in a loop, GravitySucks.  Knowing me, I'm probably wrong.  I just find the questions interesting.  Hope you do too.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Rocketeer on April 23, 2018, 02:05:20 AM
I believe geologists refer to it as the Hindu Kush, or sometimes as the upper portion of Earth's tallest and most rugged mountain range.

A war of attrition is an interesting posture to adopt as a positive case; it can't escape your notice that "goat herders," or in a different war's context, rice farmers, are the level of survival you're signing on for when electing to bring your guns to the drone/fighter jet/submarine/Abrams tank fight.

Don't mean to ensnare us in a loop, GravitySucks.  Knowing me, I'm probably wrong.  I just find the questions interesting.  Hope you do too.

I do.

I have guns for sport. I have guns for self defense. I have guns as collector’s items. I have more guns and more ammo than I ever will use. Hopefully. But I do have an absolute constitutional right to keep those guns. I don’t ever expect to have to go up against some 18 year old pimple faced recruit. 

That being said, it they went through the constitutional process for revoking the 2nd amendment I would follow the law even if it meant confiscation for all of the guns and ammo that they are aware of.

If a history professor could save the earth from an alien invasion, there is always hope.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 23, 2018, 02:17:41 AM
That being said, it they went through the constitutional process for revoking the 2nd amendment I would follow the law even if it meant confiscation for all of the guns and ammo that they are aware of.

I wouldn't. Cold dead hands.

GravitySucks

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on April 23, 2018, 02:32:12 AM
I wouldn't. Cold dead hands.

My cold dead hands will be holding the ones they didn’t know about.