• Welcome to BellGab/bellchan Archive.
 

20151123 - Michio Kaku - Sciencey Stuff - Live Show Chat

Started by jazmunda, November 23, 2015, 03:30:09 PM

Ciardelo

Quote from: maren on November 24, 2015, 12:00:48 AM
Good night, all - happy to see you all (well, most of you).

Zeebo -- hit the sack and SOAR!

Barfly, may you never sleep alone.  Or in pajamas.
Good night maren.

Zzzzillion

Piece of shit show again Art. Bring back the crazies.


zeebo

Quote from: maren on November 24, 2015, 12:00:48 AM
Zeebo -- hit the sack and SOAR!

Pleasant dreams, of whichever type you seek, maren.   :)

maren

Quote from: Oculary on November 23, 2015, 11:59:45 PM
Fantastic show, and my all-time favorite guest in Dr. Kaku. It's these shows that makes life worth living! Happy Holidays to all you glorious Gabbers! Please be safe this holiday season. :)

My love to you all. <3

TOTALLY back at you!   :)

Lt.Uhura

Another excellent, thought-provoking show!  Thank you Art & Dr. Kaku!

Quote from: zeebo on November 23, 2015, 11:39:38 PM
Dude cut back on the heavy scones.  Try a lighter croissant for more lift.

You're cheeky as a chipmunk tonight, aren't you?  Must be the Monkey Shoulder talking.

zeebo

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on November 24, 2015, 12:07:10 AM
You're cheeky as a chipmunk tonight, aren't you?  Must be the Monkey Shoulder talking.

Half monkey, half squirrel.   ;)


Robert

Quote from: Zzzzillion on November 23, 2015, 11:50:22 PMYeah, I join the others here who find Kaku boring as hell.
He's always been annoyingly glib to my taste.  It's not Kaku's subject matter that bores me, in fact it interests me more than most, just his style, even when I've seen him in person.  He might've been good to take classes from at CUNY, but not a less formal setting.  I've taught college too, & I can bore w the best of 'em!

CornyCrow

When Dr. Kaku was speaking of the future, and the robots that would do the lower level white collar work, my first thought was of all the jobs lost again.  How does he think economies will reformat themselves to accommodate such changes?  Will there be a privilege class and the rest of us as roaches, scurrying about the surface of the planet, grabbing everything that we can? 

Can humanity stand more work-saving innovation?  Won't our entire economic system have to be revamped at some point?  At some point there will be a select few pushing buttons to make the world operate.  What happens to the rest?


analog kid

Quote from: jblank on November 24, 2015, 05:54:06 AM
Everyone should, it's little more than a death cult.

Islam is a cult. Radical Islam is an apocalyptic death cult. No doubt about it.

ziznak

Pretty good show.  I can deal with some kaku here and there.  He said a couple of things that had me thinking as he usually does.  He even threw in his signature "Time is like a riiiiver"

Quote from: ziznak on November 24, 2015, 06:27:06 AM
Pretty good show.  I can deal with some kaku here and there.  He said a couple of things that had me thinking as he usually does.  He even threw in his signature "Time is like a riiiiver"

I can`t even stand to hear the guy`s voice. Art has a huge boner for the guy though. IDK, it`s a little weird.

analog kid

Quote from: FightTheFuture on November 24, 2015, 06:34:41 AM
I can`t even stand to hear the guy`s voice. Art has a huge boner for the guy though. IDK, it`s a little weird.

What about him is unlikable?

FLLFlash

Quote from: maren on November 23, 2015, 11:58:36 PM
Which others?  Just curious.

So, too, was I wondering.

I think this show was excellent, as are most of the shows. It's radio and it's entertainment, nothing more. It's Art and it's the top of the heap, the pinnacle, the zenith. You either like it or you don't. Many people incessantly complain about Rush as well. The solution is simple - if you don't care for it, adjust your dial. Until the police state dictates what you must listen to it's your choice. Consume the entertainment you like and leave the rest. It's that easy.

ItsOver

I've heard the worst and it sure isn't Kaku and Art.  By a long shot.


ziznak

Noory and Kaku
Quote from: analog kid on November 24, 2015, 06:59:21 AM
What about him is unlikable?
I think some people get turned off by his awkwardness.  For instance Art told the "fair catch" story and Kaku didn't seem like he knew how to react.  Most people will sense something is a joke and know to at least aknowledge the joke with a complimentary "heh" even if they don't get it.  Kakypooh just went blank, so much so, that Art was like "ya know... football?" and Kakypooh still gave him nothing.  Sometimes people are so busy being smart that they don't realize the personality and energy they are putting out sucks.

edit: so I wasn't on the thread when i listened last night but coaster caught it

Quote from: coaster on November 23, 2015, 09:26:50 PM
That nuclear "fair catch"  quote went right over his head.

ziznak

Quote from: ItsOver on November 24, 2015, 08:38:43 AM
I've heard the worst and it sure isn't Kaku and Art.  By a long shot.


Noory thinks Michio Kaku has a "dirty" name


ItsOver

Quote from: ziznak on November 24, 2015, 09:04:43 AM
Noory thinks Michio Kaku has a "dirty" name
Jorch has almost got the pronunciation down.

starrmtn001

Quote from: Zzzzillion on November 23, 2015, 10:22:40 PM
You're forgetting she likely does not look like her avatar.
You had to wait till I left for the night to say that?

PUSSY! >:(

K_Dubb

Quote from: ziznak on November 24, 2015, 08:59:16 AM
Sometimes people are so busy being smart that they don't realize the personality and energy they are putting out sucks.

Yeah I think you've got it.  He has that tone common in IT departments of a person who knows he's smarter than everybody else and relies on a thin veneer of non-threatening verbal signalling -- uptalk, polite laughs, artificially high voice -- to cover the arrogance beneath.

I don't mind -- have had to get used to it working with some really smart people -- but can see how it would grate on the nerves.

analog kid

Quote from: ziznak on November 24, 2015, 08:59:16 AM
Noory and KakuI think some people get turned off by his awkwardness.  For instance Art told the "fair catch" story and Kaku didn't seem like he knew how to react.  Most people will sense something is a joke and know to at least aknowledge the joke with a complimentary "heh" even if they don't get it.  Kakypooh just went blank, so much so, that Art was like "ya know... football?" and Kakypooh still gave him nothing.  Sometimes people are so busy being smart that they don't realize the personality and energy they are putting out sucks.

edit: so I wasn't on the thread when i listened last night but coaster caught it

After more than a decade of some of the best classic coast shows. Okay.

Auslandia

Maybe there's a YouTube video of him drunk at a Christmas party doing the whip & Nae Nae.  That would be worth sharing

Robert

Quote from: ziznak on November 24, 2015, 06:27:06 AMPretty good show.  I can deal with some kaku here and there.
Yes, me too, as one of those 1-segment 1st-hour guests in response to a news hook.  Same with Hoagland, Sweeney, and the others they used to do that with on C2C with Bell, Noory, & sometimes other emcees.  That was one of the great things I liked about C2C for many yrs., & it's something even Noory couldn't mess up badly.  In fact, Art's default 1st hr. opening of no-topic phone calls was usually a letdown for me when it was announced, even though sometimes turned out pretty good.

Robert

Quote from: analog kid on November 24, 2015, 06:59:21 AMWhat about him is unlikable?
Kaku?  Glibness.  Even though he has great expertise, I always get a sense with him that he's speaking with unjustified self-assuredness.

Robert

Quote from: K_Dubb on November 24, 2015, 10:33:17 AMYeah I think you've got it.  He has that tone common in IT departments of a person who knows he's smarter than everybody else and relies on a thin veneer of non-threatening verbal signalling -- uptalk, polite laughs, artificially high voice -- to cover the arrogance beneath.
Yeah, plenty of that.  Superciliousness mixed w glibness.  I just don't connect with him.

Oh heck, my students used to take me as off-putting plenty of time too, no matter how I tried to connect.  It's not something easily turned off or on.

Auslandia

Quote from: K_Dubb on November 24, 2015, 10:33:17 AM
Yeah I think you've got it.  He has that tone common in IT departments of a person who knows he's smarter than everybody else and relies on a thin veneer of non-threatening verbal signalling -- uptalk, polite laughs, artificially high voice -- to cover the arrogance beneath.

I don't mind -- have had to get used to it working with some really smart people -- but can see how it would grate on the nerves.

Keep in mind, his languages informed by Japanese. Although he's pretty damn good at speaking English these days is original language was not English so he still inform slightly by Japanese inflection I would bet. It's not as easy to read someone whose mother tongue is not English

Powered by SMFPacks Menu Editor Mod