Leo Ashcraft - Dark Matter News - A Long Side Knight

Started by Waco Kid, August 22, 2015, 10:17:25 AM

nextgen.fm

Holy
ShitUncleLeo has blown a fuse

I have never seen such a complete meltdown like this

lonevoice

Quote from: EarthAlien007 on October 03, 2015, 05:01:15 PM
I agree, and Art should be on the phone with his lawyer.
I agree with your point about a lawyer too.

It occurs to me that having Ashcraft on the gabcast would be more analogous to having Oates on to publicly slander Art than it would be to having had Dave Noorie on to bloviate.

albrecht

Quote from: lonevoice on October 03, 2015, 04:58:36 PM
Not that I get to vote, but I'd absolutely hate for Ashcraft to get a platform on the gabcast.  He's using his DMN facebook page now to publicly post financial information about the MITD subscribers.  I also saw someone on his facebook page tell him that recording private phone conversations across state lines without all parties consenting is illegal.  He's made several comments on his fb that he has these recordings and he's threatened to post them online.  The man is a lunatic, and he's gone way past having any ethical high ground to stand on, no matter what may or may not have happened. 

He doesn't need an audience, he needs a psychiatrist.

So much drama in the lbc. Anyway, I also don't like people posting the personal information (or potentially potential information since I'm not sure it is true) of Leo. But, if that is to be believed, it is legal in Texas, and most States, to record phone calls with "one party consent." And I advise it in any "difficult" circumstances: divorce, child custody, credit card issues, employment disputes, insurance or tax issues, etc. Even if you don't use it it is cheap/easy to do and worthwhile to have the recording "just in case." And treat any conversation as if you are being recorded. I would also advise staying away from social media in these types of situations. Stupid to fight on the social media world because it will usually end up hurting your cause.

I'm not a fan of Dark Matter News, really. And the airing of dirty laundry is pretty pathetic and juvenile. But so is trying to "leak" his personal information onto the interwebs and this forum. Then again I've heard bad things about Keith over the years, but have no proof or personal experience so I will leave that also and just hope that MITD expands both on the internet and on traditional radio.

b_dubb

Discussing business details with EVERYONE is pretty low class.

lonevoice

Quote from: albrecht on October 03, 2015, 05:09:18 PM
So much drama in the lbc. Anyway, I also don't like people posting the personal information (or potentially potential information since I'm not sure it is true) of Leo. But, if that is to be believed, it is legal in Texas, and most States, to record phone calls with "one party consent."
However it is illegal in two-party consent states like Nevada and California, where Art and at least one of the threatened parties live. If any one of the states is two-party consent, then it's governed by that state's statutes.  Or so I'm given to understand.

I think you may have misunderstood something.  It's not Art or Keith leaking private information about Ashcraft, it is Ashcraft posting private financials from MITD and threatening to post privately recorded phone conversations for public listening.  As far as I've seen, both Art and Keith have maintained radio silence.

bateman

Quote from: lonevoice on October 03, 2015, 05:14:22 PM
However it is illegal in two-party consent states like Nevada and California, where Art and at least one of the threatened parties live. If any one of the states is two-party consent, then it's governed by that state's statutes.  Or so I'm given to understand.

I defer to the legal scholars who may be lurking around here, but I thought Nevada was a one party consent state? That's apparently how the show Crank Yankers was able to be aired:

QuoteWith the exception of a few outside sources (including previous material from Jim Florentine and the Touch-Tone Terrorists), all the calls are made from Nevada. The Omnibus Crime Control and Safe Streets Act of 1968 makes it illegal in most states to record telephone calls without both parties' consent. Under Nevada law, only one of the parties has to give consent (i.e., the caller), so prank calls can be recorded without the consent of the prank victims. One result of this was the series' schedule of creating and airing new episodes was fairly sporadic due to most of the celebrities living in Los Angeles, having Los Angeles-based jobs, and so were only periodically able to go to Las Vegas to make calls. Adam Carolla, for example, took his radio program to Las Vegas once or twice a year, and while there would record new calls for the program.

That said, Leo is based out of Texas I believe, so it's a moot point.

albrecht

Quote from: bateman on October 03, 2015, 05:17:32 PM
I defer to the legal scholars who may be lurking around here, but I thought Nevada was a one party consent state? That's apparently how the show Crank Yankers was able to be aired:

That said, Leo is based out of Texas I believe, so it's a moot point.
I am not a lawyer; only play one on Bellgab. But this site is my go-to whenever, sigh, there are issues and drama with regard to Art Bell shows. Pretty decent coverage of stuff like music, streaming, recording calls, and the associated dramas.
http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/recording-phone-calls-and-conversations

lonevoice

Quote from: albrecht on October 03, 2015, 05:24:20 PM
I am not a lawyer; only play one on Bellgab. But this site is my go-to whenever, sigh, there are issues and drama with regard to Art Bell shows. Pretty decent coverage of stuff like music, streaming, recording calls, and the associated dramas.
http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/recording-phone-calls-and-conversations
Neither am I a lawyer. Presuming the above link is current information:
QuoteWhen must you get permission from everyone involved before recording?

Eleven states require the consent of every party to a phone call or conversation in order to make the recording lawful. These "two-party consent" laws have been adopted in California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Montana, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and Washington.

In earler fb drama, Leo also posted the call letters of a radio station he had talked with on the phone and recorded the conversation for "proof."  I didn't catch where the radio station was located.  On second thought, if Leo wants to keep posting potentially actionable information on the internet, or call into a podcast and make potentially slanderous public comments, he's free to dig his own hole deeper.

cosmic hobo

Art sheds some more light on the issue:

With both Leo and Heather rumored to be calling into the gab cast it should be a must listen to show.

chefist

Quote from: cosmic hobo on October 03, 2015, 05:49:46 PM
Art sheds some more light on the issue:

With both Leo and Heather rumored to be calling into the gab cast it should be a must listen to show.

Thank you for that post...good to see some clarification... Looks like Leo the Ego made a huge career mistake... He can commiserate with JC

albrecht

Quote from: lonevoice on October 03, 2015, 05:46:30 PM
Neither am I a lawyer. Presuming the above link is current information:
In earler fb drama, Leo also posted the call letters of a radio station he had talked with on the phone and recorded the conversation for "proof."  I didn't catch where the radio station was located.  On second thought, if Leo wants to keep posting potentially actionable information on the internet, or call into a podcast and make potentially slanderous public comments, he's free to dig his own hole deeper.
Yeah, I would caution Art also about broadcasting about stuff also, though appreciate he wants to let us know what is going on or whatever changes he needs to be careful also. Though I'm sure he knows the limits due to his unfortunate frequent legal situations. Social media=bad when dealing with any controversial, legal, employment, or emotional issue.
http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/texas-recording-law
http://www.rcfp.org/reporters-recording-guide/interstate-phone-calls (here the default is to assume that the "stronger" state will prevail and the Federal (or the "weaker" State) "one party" laws won't apply. Interestingly many of the statutes recognize another, possible, situation. Even though the recording might be legal if done for tortious, or criminal, purposes it might not be (trying to set someone up etc.)

Didn't haunted skeptic write most the stories. They need to get an actual radio person with experience to deal with affiliates, Steve Warner???

All this drama sucks. I just want a stable growing MITD.

lonevoice

Quote from: bateman on October 03, 2015, 05:58:21 PM
Very interesting.
That it is. If it's true that Heather has Leo in print form saying he was made an offer by C2C, that can be published publicly with no legal consequences.

bateman

Quote from: lonevoice on October 03, 2015, 06:02:57 PM
That it is. If it's true that Heather has Leo in print form saying he was made an offer by C2C, that can be published publicly with no legal consequences.

More frantic emails from George in 3... 2... 1...

Quote from: b_dubb on October 03, 2015, 05:10:50 PM
Discussing business details with EVERYONE is pretty low class.

Bingo. Id prefer everyone just shut up and say it didn't work.  Save the time and Art can read the news at the top of the show like he used to.

bateman

Quote from: nooryisawesome on October 03, 2015, 06:01:24 PM
They need to get an actual radio person with experience to deal with affiliates, Steve Warner???

You also want like 12 shows a week, when am I supposed to sleep?  :P

lonevoice

Quote from: bateman on October 03, 2015, 06:04:59 PM
Hahahaha!!!  Hi, Dave!  Please make sure to "accidentally" send a copy to bateman too.  ;D

Quote from: bateman on October 03, 2015, 06:06:39 PM
You also want like 12 shows a week, when am I supposed to sleep?  :P

You can sleep when you are dead. After you do 12 shows a week, handle arts affiliates, and yell at UFO hoaxsters.

jazmunda

Quote from: bateman on October 03, 2015, 06:04:59 PM

He'll probably claim someone hacked his email and he never sent anything to Leo.

He's innoshent.

bateman

Quote from: lonevoice on October 03, 2015, 06:07:31 PM
Hahahaha!!!  Hi, Dave!  Please make sure to "accidentally" send a copy to bateman too.  ;D

"I have NO idea what this is all about, Steve!!!!"

jazmunda

Ha ha ha. Bateman has an Uncle Leo avatar.

I wonder how Cousin Jeffrey fits into all of this.

lonevoice

Quote from: bateman on October 03, 2015, 06:08:57 PM
"I have NO idea what this is all about, Steve!!!!"
It wassh that Alberto Setig guy again. He said a Maine Coon cat stepped on the send key.

Quote from: jazmunda on October 03, 2015, 06:11:06 PM

He is the park department worker who is constantly stone walling David Paulidies.

bateman

Quote from: jazmunda on October 03, 2015, 06:11:06 PM

Leo's gonna be working with his nephew at the parks dept. after the dust settles here.

SciFiAuthor

Ashcraft's really behaving stupidly. He's just showing any potential business contacts that he can't be trusted with any kind of sensitive information. There are more reasons than simple etiquette that you don't do this kind of shit.

jazmunda

Quote from: nooryisawesome on October 03, 2015, 06:12:35 PM
He is the park department worker who is constantly stone walling David Paulidies.

Ha ha. Yeah he did work for the parks department. Uncle Leo was so proud.

jazmunda

Quote from: bateman on October 03, 2015, 06:12:57 PM
Leo's gonna be working with his nephew at the parks dept. after the dust settles here.

I always assumed Jeffrey was Leo's son and Jerry's cousin.

Leo always referred to him as your Cousin Jeffrey when talking to Jerry.

Is there a job for Jimmy church and Falkie?