• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

What a crazy year for baseball...

Started by pate, October 01, 2014, 04:09:40 PM

Gd5150

It's great to be a Giants fan! What an amazing post season! Such a blast!

Zoo

Quote from: Gd5150 on October 17, 2014, 12:00:06 AM
It's great to be a Giants fan! What an amazing post season! Such a blast!

I wish you the best of luck..... From the Cardsnation!!!

phrodo

I don't know if it was so much that the Giants won the NLCS or the Cards gave it away with sloppy play. At least the Giants didn't do anything too stupid... too bad the same can't be said for the Cardinals.

Anybody watching the Series?  Good start by the Giants, and it might have been better if not for Lorenzo Cain.  I'd never seen him before the playoffs, and he is a tremendous outfielder.  He saved a couple of games against the O's and probably brought back nightmarish memories of Tommy Agee in the 1969 WS for their fans.

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on October 21, 2014, 07:21:03 PM
Anybody watching the Series?  Good start by the Giants, and it might have been better if not for Lorenzo Cain.  I'd never seen him before the playoffs, and he is a tremendous outfielder.  He saved a couple of games against the O's and probably brought back nightmarish memories of Tommy Agee in the 1969 WS for their fans.

I'm listening on the radio. There is something like a 7 second delay so I take a look at the TV every so often. Thankfully no more Tim McCarver on TV, but the radio crew is still much better than the TV crew.

Quote from: phrodo on October 18, 2014, 02:36:20 AM
I don't know if it was so much that the Giants won the NLCS or the Cards gave it away with sloppy play. At least the Giants didn't do anything too stupid... too bad the same can't be said for the Cardinals.

Well I was pulling for the Cards. They are the NL A's. The A's were so good they were split into two organizations and both organizations were still good.

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on October 21, 2014, 07:47:15 PM
I'm listening on the radio. There is something like a 7 second delay so I take a look at the TV every so often. Thankfully no more Tim McCarver on TV, but the radio crew is still much better than the TV crew.

Unfortunately, Joe Buck is still there and McCarver was replaced by Harold Reynolds, who is even worse. 

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on October 21, 2014, 07:50:02 PM
Well I was pulling for the Cards. They are the NL A's. The A's were so good they were split into two organizations and both organizations were still good.

What are you talking about?

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on October 21, 2014, 08:19:08 PM
What are you talking about?

When Walt Jocketty and La Russa (and more) went over to St Louis in the mid 90s.

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on October 21, 2014, 08:28:53 PM
When Walt Jocketty and La Russa (and more) went over to St Louis in the mid 90s.

Right, but they just changed jobs.  The A's weren't split into two organizations. 

pate

Honestly, they banned this song on the radio in San Francisco?

LORDE - Royals

What are they worried about?

Good article on the strike zone evolving.
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=24901
These results suggest that the pitch height aberration is not the result of uncommon player or umpire selection. Instead, there appears to have been a considered change in policy concerning the low strike. Looking carefully at the above graphs, one notices that pitch height reached its nadir in June of this year. Since then, pitch height has been increasing and low strike probability decreasing. If this change isn’t simply a statistically improbable coincidence or mass, catastrophic mis-calibration** of PitchF/X cameras, the league may have decided to shift their Zone Evaluation system at that point. Changing the definition of the strike zone in-season seems like a poorly-conceived idea, but it wouldn’t be the first time MLB made a terrible mistake.

Eddie Coyle

Growing up in the 80's as a lefty batter, my first favorite hitter was George Brett and my last favorite was Will Clark. Guess I'm pulling for KC, but SF is due to win again..and in 2016 and 2018.

Gd5150

Growing up in 80s playing 1b I was a Willie McCovey, Jack Clark (til he went to the evil Cardinals haha), then Will Clark fan. Will Clark was a beast and fortunately is once again back with the Giants where he belongs.

I will forever love George Brett for the pine tar play. What a classic!
http://youtu.be/gbEHAsZxRYo

phrodo

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on October 21, 2014, 08:16:28 PM
Unfortunately, Joe Buck is still there and McCarver was replaced by Harold Reynolds, who is even worse.

I got so sick of JoeBlow Buck and his constant fellation of Kershaw during the NLDS. It was pathetic. Reynolds is good on MLB shows in studio but as a live color man he is horrible and never shuts the fuck up.

zeebo

Good game tonite, we got an even 1-1 series.  Anyone know what the kerfuffle was about?

Quote from: zeebo on October 23, 2014, 01:13:16 AM
Good game tonite, we got an even 1-1 series.  Anyone know what the kerfuffle was about?

I think Strickland was yelling at himself after giving up the HR, and the runner (Perez?) going by him down the 3b line thought Strickland was yelling at him, so he yelled back...

phrodo

Quote from: Paper*Boy on October 23, 2014, 01:23:40 AM

I think Strickland was yelling at himself after giving up the HR, and the runner (Perez?) going by him down the 3b line thought Strickland was yelling at him, so he yelled back...

Nope - pretty sure Strickland was yelling at the Royals... just couldn't handle giving up yet another dinger... he's a dick.

Quote from: phrodo on October 24, 2014, 01:41:03 AM
Nope - pretty sure Strickland was yelling at the Royals... just couldn't handle giving up yet another dinger... he's a dick.

Strickland confirmed that he was upset at choking like he did.  He was yelling at Perez for no reason, just lost his composure.  He called Perez "boy" which is not going down very well with the Latino community.  He "hopes" Bochy will give him another shot.  Bochy, who deserves at least some of the blame for putting someone like Strickland in a situation like that, mumbled through some supportive words about Strickland.  I ran them through Google translate and it came up with "When pigs fly."  I can't see Strickland playing again this series unless there's another 18 inning game.

phrodo

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on October 24, 2014, 08:10:23 AM
Strickland confirmed that he was upset at choking like he did.  He was yelling at Perez for no reason, just lost his composure.  He called Perez "boy" which is not going down very well with the Latino community.  He "hopes" Bochy will give him another shot.  Bochy, who deserves at least some of the blame for putting someone like Strickland in a situation like that, mumbled through some supportive words about Strickland.  I ran them through Google translate and it came up with "When pigs fly."  I can't see Strickland playing again this series unless there's another 18 inning game.

Thanks. That's pretty much how I saw it - got a call from an old friend so was trying to watch and talk at the same time. I do good to walk and talk simultaneously sometimes .. so didn't catch all of it.

Bochy reminds me of someone that likes biscuits with mustard.

I did a study of the game dealys:

KNBR Over Air: 0 (default)
MLB.com Radio Stream: 0
National Radio/Fox: 3 seconds
Local/Fox TV: 5 seconds

Methodology: Timed using crocodiles as an estimate of seconds.

Quote from: phrodo on October 25, 2014, 09:29:22 PM
Bochy reminds me of someone that likes biscuits with mustard.

Think you mean french fry pertaters, ummm hmmmm.

Gd5150

Wow during World Series game 5 news came that Oscar Tevarez, whos a huge rookie for the St. Louis Cardinals was killed in a car accident. Juan Perez was close to his family and a close friend heard about it minutes before he was scheduled to be put into the game. Gets put in, immediately makes a huge catch in left field. Then missed a HR by inches and has the biggest hit of the game and one of the biggest of the World Series. Incredible.

pate

Not looking good for the Royals...

Since they banned that one song I figured they'd find some kind of replacement for it, my inept intartube searching came up with this:

The Pixies - Gigantic

I won't say what I thought the lyrics to that were...  I guess, there is the band that did the Malcolm in the Middle theme song, but I was looking for "Giants" lyrics and 'gigantic' was the closest my memory could come up with...

Bamgardner (sp) is a helluva pitcher, I imagine if the series goes to a seventh game he will be on the mound again.  I think Kansas City tried too hard for home runs in a park that is designed (by will or chance) to not be the place for such things.  Looking back, I think old-school basics (singles & doubles) are what win games for you, swinging for the fences is nice, but doesn't get the job done.

So, once again as at the end of the regular season, the Royals hold their destiny in their hands, will they trip up at home?  Stay tuned baseball fans!

on a personal note, I am disappointed, hence my drunken posts at this fine forum.  I apologize in advance for any drunken idiocy that ensues...

pate

Quote from: Gd5150 on October 22, 2014, 04:10:13 PMI will forever love George Brett for the pine tar play. What a classic!
http://youtu.be/gbEHAsZxRYo

Great player, and in spite of his real life douchieness, I still wouldn't punch him in the face if I ran into him.

The whole game is interesting to watch as well, if you are into such things... (apologies if this gets lawyers involved):

7/24/83: The Pine Tar Game

After review, the game was continued and the Royals went on to win it (as I recall...)  I loved listening to the (who I assume) New York commentators hate on the Royals...  Reminded me of watching this year's playoffs on TBS for some reason...

pate

I am now somewhere around 0:40:00 in my past blasting this game and reading the forum and pausing to listen to other stuff, but right about now it's damn funny...

edit: I know; no one cares...

pate

I am now somewhere around 1:30:00 +\- 00:05:00 into this silly archival footage...