• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

What a crazy year for baseball...

Started by pate, October 01, 2014, 04:09:40 PM

Quote from: Jackstar on November 04, 2016, 01:31:40 AM
Just wait until you find out about Fukushima.

I'm just glad I live on the East Coast or close to it anyway.  I'm more concerned about the aftereffects of the Deepwater Horizon disaster than I am Fukushima though I feel for those affected.

Just heard that Jeffrey Loria sold the Marlins and left the Miami taxpayers on the hook for over a billion dollars after lining his pockets engaging in all sorts of shady financial behavior. Good riddance!

I can't remember if there are any old Expos fans here, but if so you might get a charge out of this song.

"Bye, bye to the Montreal nine/Drove my Yugo to the Big O just to watch Razor Shines."  ;D

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/the-glorious-exit-of-jeffrey-loria-the-worst-owner-in-sports-054809854.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipuHuerTW3Y

Ciardelo

Razor Shines was our coach for the AA Tulsa Drillers (LA Dodgers affil.) a couple of seasons ago.

trostol

pitchers and catchers on monday(least for the Phils)

Quote from: Ciardelo on February 10, 2017, 05:13:03 PM
Razor Shines was our coach for the AA Tulsa Drillers (LA Dodgers affil.) a couple of seasons ago.

One of the best baseball names ever, and for that alone it's a shame he didn't have a longer career. It appears that the home cookin' in Tulsa agreed with him, though. He's looking downright prosperous there.

Quote from: trostol on February 10, 2017, 05:51:16 PM
pitchers and catchers on monday(least for the Phils)

"Pitchers and catchers report today" is one of the sweetest phrases in the English language. That's the official end of winter, no matter what the Woodchuck says.

Ciardelo

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on February 11, 2017, 06:23:24 PM
One of the best baseball names ever, and for that alone it's a shame he didn't have a longer career. It appears that the home cookin' in Tulsa agreed with him, though. He's looking downright prosperous there.

We likes our biscuits and gravy.  ;)

One of the best baseball names ever.  :D

albrecht

Quote from: Ciardelo on February 11, 2017, 06:47:38 PM
We likes our biscuits and gravy.  ;)

One of the best baseball names ever.  :D
I saw Biscuits and Gravy flavored Lay Potato Chips at the gas station by me the other day.

Ciardelo

Quote from: albrecht on February 11, 2017, 06:49:16 PM
I saw Biscuits and Gravy flavored Lay Potato Chips at the gas station by me the other day.

I remember that gas station! Y'all had the best Häagen-Dazs® there!

Yup, pretty crazy. I tried 'em. They were OK for a carbo-loading glutton like me, but I like regular wavy Lays better.

albrecht

Quote from: Ciardelo on February 11, 2017, 07:12:22 PM
I remember that gas station! Y'all had the best Häagen-Dazs® there!

Yup, pretty crazy. I tried 'em. They were OK for a carbo-loading glutton like me, but I like regular wavy Lays better.
;D

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on February 11, 2017, 06:24:49 PM
"Pitchers and catchers report today" is one of the sweetest phrases in the English language. That's the official end of winter, no matter what the Woodchuck says.
You got that right!  I just bought tix for an early-April game (nose-bleed seats behind home plate) and it made me so happy!

Quote from: Étouffée on February 11, 2017, 08:10:06 PM
You got that right!  I just bought tix for an early-April game (nose-bleed seats behind home plate) and it made me so happy!

Sweet! What team, Crawdad?

ShayP

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on February 11, 2017, 06:24:49 PM
"Pitchers and catchers report today" is one of the sweetest phrases in the English language.

Yes it is.  :)  8)

This is a ridiculous solution to a problem that didn't exist. Sure, intentional walks aren't exciting, and it's extremely rare for anything to happen while they're being issued, but there's always the chance for a wild pitch or a sneaky maneuver like this one from the 1972 World Series that is now legendary. I think it's a big mistake to take away the potential for it to happen again.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/18737245/mlb-union-agree-get-rid-traditional-intentional-walkwill-use-signal-dugout

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw0w9rhNtCk

ShayP

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on February 22, 2017, 11:56:17 AM
This is a ridiculous solution to a problem that didn't exist...

Agreed.  No matter what changes come about, I'm sure the advertisers will make sure the game is still slow.  I feel that any time freed by new rules will be replaced with more commercial time, etc., whether it be local or national.  I've been to many games in my lifetime and my observation always has been that the players are ready to go but they are held up by other factors.  Maybe it's just me.  :-\   

I will say, however, that the timeouts from batters and the pitchers stepping off the rubber was a problem, but, it was fixed with new rules.  At least I think it was.

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on February 22, 2017, 11:56:17 AM
This is a ridiculous solution to a problem that didn't exist. Sure, intentional walks aren't exciting, and it's extremely rare for anything to happen while they're being issued, but there's always the chance for a wild pitch or a sneaky maneuver like this one from the 1972 World Series that is now legendary. I think it's a big mistake to take away the potential for it to happen again.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/18737245/mlb-union-agree-get-rid-traditional-intentional-walkwill-use-signal-dugout

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw0w9rhNtCk

Complete B.S.   *Anything* can happen. My fat bastard of a catcher muffed one once and cost me a damn run.   Dumb
manager should have just let me get the hitter out in any event.

Then there is "Let's drill the ump in the nards during the 1984 World Series":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwMr-c3Rczs

Not IBB related but I love that clip!

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on February 24, 2017, 06:32:01 PM
Complete B.S.   *Anything* can happen. My fat bastard of a catcher muffed one once and cost me a damn run.   Dumb
manager should have just let me get the hitter out in any event.

Then there is "Let's drill the ump in the nards during the 1984 World Series":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwMr-c3Rczs

Not IBB related but I love that clip!

Damn, I was hoping to hear the great Vin Scully say "he got him in the balls."  He is too much of a gentleman though.

Quote from: GravitySucks on February 24, 2017, 06:41:09 PM
A couple of these were in extra innings...

Hah hah!  But hey, it's finally spring!  Play ball!

albrecht

Quote from: ShayP on February 24, 2017, 02:17:59 PM
Agreed.  No matter what changes come about, I'm sure the advertisers will make sure the game is still slow.  I feel that any time freed by new rules will be replaced with more commercial time, etc., whether it be local or national.  I've been to many games in my lifetime and my observation always has been that the players are ready to go but they are held up by other factors.  Maybe it's just me.  :-\   

I will say, however, that the timeouts from batters and the pitchers stepping off the rubber was a problem, but, it was fixed with new rules.  At least I think it was.
Let's not forget the the new rules on replays "to improve the game" added a shit-load of extra times to games and in many of the cases even on high-def slo-mo from various angles the call is still questionable. (This applies in other sports also.) I get that we want precision but also it is a human game and mistakes go both ways. But the time it takes to review sometimes is ridiculous.

Quote from: albrecht on February 24, 2017, 09:11:18 PM
Let's not forget the the new rules on replays "to improve the game" added a shit-load of extra times to games and in many of the cases even on high-def slo-mo from various angles the call is still questionable. (This applies in other sports also.) I get that we want precision but also it is a human game and mistakes go both ways. But the time it takes to review sometimes is ridiculous.

They've already wrecked the game.  Doesn't really matter what all else they do at this point.

Leo Durocher once wrote about Giants pinch hitter Dusty Rhodes:

QuoteRhodes never doubted he was the world's greatest hitter and for one year, 1954, he was

Rhodes' stats that year for the NY Giants  were unreal.  .341 Batting Average,  15 homers, 50 RBI's and an insane OPS of 1.105 all in just 164 At Bats.  He also hit
2 home runs in limited at bats in the 1954 World Series - including a walk off 3 run homer to doom Cleveland.

Here is Rhodes' taking advantage of the Polo Grounds' short porch in right field to win game one of the '54 world series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zUZO758tYU

pate

Still the Nets!

The Colorato DoucheBAgs have yet a Series rang?

srLy...

starrmtn001

Quote from: pate on April 16, 2017, 04:28:26 AM
Still the Nets!

The Colorato DoucheBAgs have yet a Series rang?

srLy...
C'mon Pate.  Do a Pool 'n PodCast this year.  Puleeze? ;D

In 1968 Gates Brown had almost as awesome a pinch hitting year as Dusty Rhodes did in '54.  He hit .370 with a .685 Slugging Percentage and a huge OPS of 1.127   

Brown was kind of a knucklehead - he had done some jail time and he maybe most well known for the infamous hot dog incident. Tigers manager Mayo Smith ragged on Brown constantly about his weight and tried to force a diet on him.  One game Brown was called to pinch hit much earlier than normal.   It put the "Gator" in a tough spot as he was powering down a couple of hot dogs.  Thinking fast, Brown shoved the dogs down his shirt so Mayo Smith would not catch him.  Unfortunately for Brown, he cranked out a double but had to slide head first into 2nd base.   When he got up he was covered in mustard and goo.

I couldn't find any video of Gates Brown hitting but here are a couple of Pix.

GravitySucks

What a crazy ball game between the Cubs and Yankees at Wrigley Field.

Cubs lost 5-4 but it must have been a hell of a game to sit through. Read the recap.

They set a new MLB record for total strikeouts in a game. Not sure, but I think there were 48. I think the previous record was 42.

Aroldis Chapman hit Anthony Rizzo with bases loaded in the 9th to tie the game 4-4. They played another whole game (9 innings) after that.

6:05 elapsed time.  Cubs play again in about 18 hours in Denver.

albrecht

Tuned into FS1 for another game but got to watching the Yankee/Redsox game. It is still going on. Top 16th and the Rangers/KC game is almost over (TX win) and this still going. Though NY has taken a lead. Boston playing "under protest" from some crazy long umpire/homeoffice replay reviews. 512 pitches in game and Yankees win 4-1, 16 innings.