• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Steve Warner's Dark City

Started by bateman, October 27, 2013, 03:54:49 PM

Quote from: bateman on January 16, 2014, 10:42:09 AM
Wasn't that everyone in the '70s? Don't know, too young.

Yes.  Know, just right.   :o

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Treading Water on January 16, 2014, 11:21:04 AM
Yes.  Know, just right.   :o

Redemption came along with the lady shave and  leg and armpit shaving.. Was simply a natural (well, maybe NOT natural) progression.

Yeah, that's it. ::)

The General

Catching up on missed shows.  This podcast is outstanding in every way.

bateman

Quote from: The General on January 16, 2014, 12:43:10 PM
Catching up on missed shows.  This podcast is outstanding in every way.

Thank you sir. I was enjoying yours this morning too, even though I don't know a damn thing about guitars. A fun listen, regardless.

bateman

Quote from: bateman on January 05, 2014, 02:32:13 PM
Thanks, guys. I'll respond to everyone's points when I have some more time tonight, promise. Just wrapped up an hour with Dr. Aubrey de Grey on immortality research. Actual, achievable, biological immortality in our lifetime.

http://www.tendencias21.net/Aubrey-de-Grey-Aging-is-emphatically-not-an-inescapable-destiny_a15346.html

This airs tonight at 10, FYI.

RADEO

Well I got my ass kicked here.  I get it.  I was too harsh but in my defense "Jaun" might have had the courtesy to pm Bateman.  That's all. 

Great show with the Doctor, Steve.  Loved hearing you say, I see, instead of, so true or indeed.  I really liked listening to you as us.  The doc was not coming in super crisp but these things happen so please don't quit over it ;)

We will never see any reversal of aging in our lifetime and that includes anybody presently on this planet now.  I also dread the idea of the experimentation they would have to do.  Of course for some reason, innocent animals will be chosen over say, rapists and bankers to do those experiments.

George Drooly

Quote from: RADEO on January 19, 2014, 04:15:10 AM
We will never see any reversal of aging in our lifetime and that includes anybody presently on this planet now.  I also dread the idea of the experimentation they would have to do.  Of course for some reason, innocent animals will be chosen over say, rapists and bankers to do those experiments.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/03/130327133341.htm

jazmunda

Quote from: bateman on January 18, 2014, 07:43:23 PM
This airs tonight at 10, FYI.

I haven't listened yet as I had a wedding today but will catch it during the week to get me through my first post vacation week at work.

Did you ask any questions about his beard?

Heather Wade

Bateman, your website kicks some serious ass.

Juan

I didn't know it was allowed to have a guest who talks about aging but has no magic snake oil to sell.

I'm still waiting on you to announce a live, open lines show.  I plan to goad sNoory into prank calling you.

FallenSeraph

Quote from: jazmunda on January 19, 2014, 07:28:02 AM
I haven't listened yet as I had a wedding today but will catch it during the week to get me through my first post vacation week at work.

Did you ask any questions about his beard?

(LOL)

Heather Wade

Had a Dark Weekend marathon today.  Fantastic show!

So looking forward to next week, bateman.

bateman

Quote from: RADEO on January 19, 2014, 04:15:10 AM
Well I got my ass kicked here.  I get it.  I was too harsh but in my defense "Jaun" might have had the courtesy to pm Bateman.  That's all.

For what it's worth, he did PM me to apologize, though it wasn't necessary. I posted that interview unedited specifically to find out if the verbal tics or whatever were noticeable to anyone else. I want as much feedback as I can possibly get. Doesn't all have to be fawning.  ;)

Quote from: RADEO on January 19, 2014, 04:15:10 AMGreat show with the Doctor, Steve.  Loved hearing you say, I see, instead of, so true or indeed.  I really liked listening to you as us.  The doc was not coming in super crisp but these things happen so please don't quit over it ;)

Yeah, he was on a Skype line, not the ideal setup. But thank you.  :)

As far as reversing aging, they've already done it in mice. For the most part, we know the biological causes of aging, it's just a matter of developing treatments to stop the processes, or at least slow them down. Easier said than done, of course.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2010/nov/28/scientists-reverse-ageing-mice-humans

bateman

Quote from: (Redacted) on January 19, 2014, 12:52:37 PM
Bateman, your website kicks some serious ass.

Quote from: (Redacted) on January 19, 2014, 08:34:17 PM
Had a Dark Weekend marathon today.  Fantastic show!

So looking forward to next week, bateman.

Thank yeewww. Yeah if nothing else, the website is pretty nice.  ;D

Yorkshire pud

What subject/guest you got on for the next show Steve?

Really looking forward to the future ones.

($10 in the usual place okay?)

bateman

Quote from: jazmunda on January 19, 2014, 07:28:02 AM

Always with the excuses. "My daughter's birthday!" "A wedding!" .. get your priorities straight.

Quote from: jazmunda on January 19, 2014, 07:28:02 AMDid you ask any questions about his beard?

You'll just have to listen to find out.

(no.)

bateman

Quote from: Juan on January 19, 2014, 02:36:24 PM
I didn't know it was allowed to have a guest who talks about aging but has no magic snake oil to sell.

I'm still waiting on you to announce a live, open lines show.  I plan to goad sNoory into prank calling you.

Heh. I have no desire to take calls anytime soon. I much prefer the Dreamland format over Coast to Coast.

Now let's talk about immune system modulation...

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: bateman on January 20, 2014, 12:18:31 PM
Heh. I have no desire to take calls anytime soon.

Now let's talk about immune system modulation...

There was a report on food supplements here last week; and the conclusion was a well balanced diet had no need for them; some were dangerous, others merely ineffectual placebos. All of them a waste of money.

gbneely

Quote from: bateman on January 20, 2014, 12:18:31 PM
Heh. I have no desire to take calls anytime soon. I much prefer the Dreamland format over Coast to Coast.

I'm glad to hear that. Calls simply destroy the flow of any show that is guest/interview driven.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: gbneely on January 20, 2014, 12:26:32 PM
I'm glad to hear that. Calls simply destroy the flow of any show that is guest/interview driven.

+1

bateman

Quote from: gbneely on January 20, 2014, 12:26:32 PM

Totally agree. I am debating doing some news at the top of the show though. Maybe I'll do one & see how it goes?

Caught the latest show and I was very interested. Great interview (as usual) and a very interesting guest. My only possible constructive comment might be that his phone connection was a bit spotty at times, but that's hardly within your control. I assume it was a long distance call from across the pond as well?

News is an *excellent* idea! I would be really interested to see what kind of stories you would pick up and follow up on.

bateman

Quote from: Agent : Orange on January 22, 2014, 12:18:54 AM
Caught the latest show and I was very interested. Great interview (as usual) and a very interesting guest. My only possible constructive comment might be that his phone connection was a bit spotty at times, but that's hardly within your control. I assume it was a long distance call from across the pond as well?

News is an *excellent* idea! I would be really interested to see what kind of stories you would pick up and follow up on.

Skype line, yeah, it was less than ideal.

I can always find solid news item, so I might as well do it.  8)

bateman

http://youtu.be/GC2TzspJn5A

This is one of those cases of the trailer being better than the movie, but I'm talking to Lyn Buchanan this weekend.

is there a way to get a low-fi version of the podcast?  100mb/show is a bit excessive for those on dialup/bandwidth metered

aldousburbank

Quote from: Chocolate coated jackboot on January 23, 2014, 01:55:25 PM
is there a way to get a low-fi version of the podcast?  100mb/show is a bit excessive for those on dialup/bandwidth metered
And for those of us with fingers in the air for WiFi reception on our string/can crystal radio handheld talkbox homemade mobile units.

Just getting on the dark weekend band wagon... Is there more to the show than what is posted on iTunes? Or is that all there is? I'm  hoping there is much more  :)

bateman

Quote from: aldousburbank on January 23, 2014, 03:03:45 PM
And for those of us with fingers in the air for WiFi reception on our string/can crystal radio handheld talkbox homemade mobile units.

Transcripts are also available via carrier pigeon.

As far as smaller files, I'll see how small I can get them without sacrificing audio quality too much. Maybe I'll just offer like 64 kbps files alongside the 128 ones.

bateman

Quote from: The Neverender on January 23, 2014, 03:53:08 PM
Just getting on the dark weekend band wagon... Is there more to the show than what is posted on iTunes? Or is that all there is? I'm  hoping there is much more  :)

Literally just started doing it in Novemeber, so there's not much of a back catalog, unfortunately.

This weekend I have 2 long interviews scheduled though: Dr. David Jacobs & Lyn Buchanan.

jazmunda

Quote from: bateman on January 20, 2014, 12:17:27 PM

Always with the excuses. "My daughter's birthday!" "A wedding!" .. get your priorities straight.

Does Craigslist have a section for selling families?

Quote from: bateman on January 20, 2014, 12:17:27 PM
You'll just have to listen to find out.

(no.)

I was extremely disappointed not to hear any beard related questions despite it being a great show. Keep up the good work.