• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Open Lines Concerns re: Dark Matter

Started by 420desert, August 26, 2013, 07:09:00 PM

420desert

Being a subscription based show with a limited audience, I'm concerned about the quality of the unscreened callers. Instead of tens of millions of listeners who could call in, we will be talking 50-100K or thereabouts initially? I have my doubts about the awesome zany calls he used to get from people in loony bins etc who won't have access to the show.

SaucyRossy

If you think that c2c gets tens of thousands of callers a night I gotta give you a heads up. Not the case.

Also, there are plenty of crazy people who have Sirius.

Isai76

I listen to Jay Thomas on Indie 104 and despite Jay always saying "This is the easiest show to get on", the callers are there.
Hell, even Riley Martin has a full phone bank of callers to his 1 hour show.

This is Art Bell. There's a groundswell of people getting amped up to his return.  There won't be a shortage of callers.  Besides they're all crazy.

be prepared for nightly calls from Bill from West Hartford

popple

I feel like for years people have been saving up their stories to tell Art. Why waste them on Dave? They're going to try their hardest to get into him to tell him. Some people might not even have siriusxm radio but they'll call in just to talk to him.

lonevoice

Quote from: popple on August 27, 2013, 01:20:20 PM
I feel like for years people have been saving up their stories to tell Art. Why waste them on Dave? They're going to try their hardest to get into him to tell him. Some people might not even have siriusxm radio but they'll call in just to talk to him.
So much this. 

After Art retired in 2003, one night he arranged to have a live toll-free phone patch to his shortwave radio station.  Even then, with no promotion and limited opportunities for fans to learn about it,  there were plenty of callers waiting and ready at the appointed hour.   Because the size of the listening audience was much smaller than on C2C, and therefore less intimidating, it was also the first time I was brave enough to talk to Art on the phone.   I might guess some people will feel that way about Sirius XM as well - not quite as intimidating - more likely to call. 

*Small brag - For anyone who's never talked to Art on the phone, the man listens with such intensity you get the feeling he's listening with his entire being.  It's an unusual feeling.  Art actually told me I had a beautiful voice and asked if I was in broadcasting.  I'll never forget it, and still smile whenever I think of it.

Morgus

Quote from: popple on August 27, 2013, 01:20:20 PM
will they restrict callers to valid Sirius subscribers only somehow?

Tinfoil Hat

One bonus of non-Sirius subscribers calling is Art won't have to tell them to turn their radios off.

I don't think Art will lack for callers. Even if he did, I'm sure his monologues would be a good listen.

popple

Quote from: Morgus on August 27, 2013, 02:42:03 PM

I'm not sure. But they would for sure be a bunch of dicks if they disconnected people who didn't have a subscription. They could also lose potential customers.

Today for some reason Sirus called and said they were giving me 2 weeks of free service, and they were sending it to our truck but they sent it to our car. LOL They really are notorious for horrible service. I don't even think they would have the patience to check if people calling in had a subscription.

starrmtn001

Quote from: lonevoice on August 27, 2013, 02:41:56 PM
So much this. 

After Art retired in 2003, one night he arranged to have a live toll-free phone patch to his shortwave radio station.  Even then, with no promotion and limited opportunities for fans to learn about it,  there were plenty of callers waiting and ready at the appointed hour.   Because the size of the listening audience was much smaller than on C2C, and therefore less intimidating, it was also the first time I was brave enough to talk to Art on the phone.   I might guess some people will feel that way about Sirius XM as well - not quite as intimidating - more likely to call. 

*Small brag - For anyone who's never talked to Art on the phone, the man listens with such intensity you get the feeling he's listening with his entire being.  It's an unusual feeling.  Art actually told me I had a beautiful voice and asked if I was in broadcasting.  I'll never forget it, and still smile whenever I think of it.

Wow!  I remember that show, or at least your call.  You do have a beautiful voice . . . sexy too (blush).

ItsOver

Quote from: Chocolate coated jackboot on August 27, 2013, 10:56:08 AM
be prepared for nightly calls from Bill from West Hartford

I'm hoping Art will be using his C. Crane "Bill from West Hartford" call blocker.

Quote from: Tinfoil Hat on August 27, 2013, 03:27:22 PM
One bonus of non-Sirius subscribers calling is Art won't have to tell them to turn their radios off..

Isn't that due to the delay?  There is no delay on satellite radio?

SaucyRossy

Quote from: Paper*Boy on August 27, 2013, 10:26:23 PM

Uh yeah....he will still be telling plenty of people to turn their radio off.

Quote from: Morgus on August 27, 2013, 02:42:03 PM

I don't know a thing about Satellite radio, but it doesn't seem like they would be able to tell unless they asked for an account number or something.  I don't know why they'd care.

Isai76

Quote from: Paper*Boy on August 27, 2013, 10:26:23 PM

There is a delay.  Quite a bit longer than terrestrial radio considering the signal has to travel up to the satellite of love, then back down to your radio.  Plus whatever delay (if at all) is instituted by Art.

Juan

The satellite delay is about 1/4 second per hop.  If it goes up and down once, it will be about a half-second. 

Many satellite radio hosts have dump buttons in case a guest/caller says something libelous

lonevoice

Quote from: starrmtn001 on August 27, 2013, 07:09:53 PM
Wow!  I remember that show, or at least your call. 
No way!  Thank you kindly.

ksm32

Quote from: Isai76 on August 27, 2013, 07:30:44 AM
I listen to Jay Thomas on Indie 104 and despite Jay always saying "This is the easiest show to get".

I get through to Jay every time I call, he's great, but he is being squeezed out of 104.

I just hope Art's mic and production sound is like it used to be in the 90s. It had less chest tone and little more 1k for a more lively sound. A lot more ZIP.

Like I wouldn't listen anyway, just sayin.

JimAlmquist

I have had SiriusXM since 2003. The reason I chose XM over Sirius was because of three radio shows, Opie & Anthony, Ron & Fez & C2C. That was when XM only had 3 million subs. Of all the original programming they have like O&A & Ron & Fez , who I listen to almost every day, constantly blow up their phone banks due to all of the callers they receive. So don't worry about DarkMatter & open lines. While the Indie channel was just renamed, it use to be SiriusXM StarsToo, is basically the jay Thomas channel. That all changes when Art cracks the mic. He will be the personality most identified with that channel...

Falkie2013

I haven't received my radio and player yet ( I thought it was coming last week ) but it will be here next week, but I am curious about something.

Since the satellites that provide content are in orbit around the Earth, what happens when there's a solar flare event ?

Does the stream from the satellites stop working ?

I will admit to having little knowledge about how these things work. I've never heard satellite radio before though I constantly see it mentioned in ads for new cars.

What concerns me most about Arts new show is what I have coined "BlackGlama" Syndrome.

What becomes a LEGEND most?

Blackglama was a famous ad campaign that sought to put movie legends into their black mink coats.
It work fabulously. I assume many women lusted after this coat.

They had to discontinue the campaign at some point because there simply were no legends left and no one new to put in these coats.

Miley Cyrus in a blackglama?

Gawd, I can't believe I just said her name. It is now truly the end of the internet.

And yes, fur became politically incorrect... these legends seem to have the power to override that opinion.

I listen to a lot of Arts old shows. Many of his guests have faded away or have become infamous for being ... well less than honest in their pursuits.

Art himself is the legend... what will he do for decent guests? That worries me.

Oh, and do watch the video here... it's intriguing. These were strong, alluring women, many of them spinning in their graves I would assume if they could see the state of the arts today.