• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Know about heavy metal music? HELP ME.

Started by guildnavigator, October 29, 2011, 11:22:35 PM

Hello Friends

I am working on a project and need to know who the top ranking and the heaviest metal bands are that are putting out records and touring.

If you live in Europe, your opinion is extra valuable to me.

back to left field now

Avi

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/2011_in_heavy_metal_music is a link to a Wikipedia article which lists 2011 news for almost every conceivable type of heavy-metal (thrash, death, speed, etc.) band, FWIW. Metallica is still going strong, even inspiring a Finnish cello ensemble, Apocalyptica:

Apocalyptica - Enter Sand Man

Another Finnish ensemble in active performance (I think they've had some success here, too) is Nightwish:

NIGHTWISH - Nemo

The Scandinavians kind of have their own, I don't know, Goth-style metal, which usually features a female vocalist. The Dutch version is Within Temptation:

Within Temptation - Stand My Ground

Synergia is the number one metal band in Israel:

סינרגיה - מרגיש אחר

Avi

Oh yeah, I meant to say that "top ranking," in Europe and elsewhere, is quite different than in the USA. A 'gold' record in the USA means that one has sold 500,000 copies. In countries with smaller populations, "top ranking" may mean they've sold 25,000 copies. Of course, all hope to make it big on this side of the pond.

For research purposes, it might be useful to subscribe to a service like Pandora or Last.fm. When you type in the name of a band, say Metallica or Bad Religion (punk metal), you will hear many groups that the recording industry thinks are up and coming in that genre.

Bad Religion- American Jesus

Silent

Quote from: guildnavigator on October 29, 2011, 11:22:35 PM

I am working on a project and need to know who the top ranking and the heaviest metal bands are that are putting out records and touring.

Top ranking and heaviest are pretty subjective terms but I don't think one can do a project on active metal bands without mentioning Iron Maiden.  They're probably the most popular metal band in the world.  Some may not even consider them metal though, so again it can be subjective.

Other current bands off the top of my head with big followings to look into:

Children of Bodom (Sweden I think)
Iced Earth (US)
Manilla Road (US)
Megadeth (US)
Motorhead (UK)
Mastodon (US)
Dragonforce

There really are very few bands which would be considered great by a majority of fans.  Part of the metal culture is to buck trends and find new and obscure bands, so any band which begins gaining a moderate following almost always feels a backlash among fans.  As counterproductive as that seems it's just the way things are in that music.  I could name a hundred bands with moderate followings but the only ones I can think of (active bands at least) which most fans will agree on are Iron Maiden and Motorhead, who are hardly the heaviest by most definitions.

I followed a lot of metal community sites for a while but don't anymore.  In some ways metal fans represent exactly what they claim to hate about popular music.  Many care more about their image than the music itself which becomes obvious after a while.  That's a generalization of course but surfing around a few message boards will prove that the most vocal metal fans usually care more about fitting in and appearing 'metal' than they care about the music itself.  Ironically, because of this, bands have a flavor of the month shelf life that is often seen in pop music which is supposedly the antithesis of metal.

To keep my sanity I had to distance myself from internet metal communities and just listen to the music.

A good place to find band info is http://www.metal-archives.com/  They'll have a bio and info on almost any metal band that has ever existed.  There's also forums there to maybe gauge what bands are currently popular.  Just look for threads like 'DRAGONFORCE IS THE WORST BAND EVER!!!!' to figure out which bands sell the most records.

Eddie Coyle

I was a major headbanger from 15 to about 25...

The usual suspects, with some obscure acts thrown in

Black Sabbath/Ozzy/Dio
      Deep Purple/Rainbow/Gillan
      Judas Priest/Halford
       Iron Maiden/Bruce Dickinson
       Mercyful Fate/King Diamond
       Slayer
        Metallica
         Megadeth
           Overkill
         Motorhead
         Nevermore
         Deicide
         Bathory
          Venom
         Death
          Morbid Angel
          Manowar
          Candlemass
          Savatage
          Witchfinder General

Avi

It's always a problem to find an exact match to what is stipulated. The 'top bands,' because they've signed with major record labels, are going to be "blandified" and overly produced. Thus, the argument: well, so-and-so isn't really metal. There are metal bands actively touring and recording for a niche market - but that is way different than being a top-grossing act, certainly by industry standards. Too, many metal bands in the USA are contracting with producers in Europe, like this band, Chimaira, from Cleveland:

Chimaira - Resurrection

This discussion and these examples are exactly what I was looking for, thank you for participating.

ksm32

Thats all some pretty heavy stuff with alot of "cookie monster" vocals. Yet some of those guys who play that stuff are the very nice & mild mannered souls.
strange

I listen to a crapload of Folk Metal ... though most of the bands I like I don't think are big, but defo Germany's Blind Guardian even though they're all ancient now (I don't listen to them much because the lyrics are a little too Dungeons & Dragons-ey which is too bad because their melodies are awesome) ... check them out at Wacken Open Air!

Blind Guardian Wacken - Nightfall Live

Also, Italy's ElvenKing!!!

The Wanderer-Elvenking

Definitely not big, but my fav folk metal band of all time is Sweden's Falconer!

punkinpie

Surprised that no one has mentioned Coheed & Cambria.  They're touring with Maiden.

http://www.coheedandcambria.com/

It's tough to get heavier than scandinavian black metal, what with the burning the churches and all.

devoidzero

A couple of highly successful metal bands overlooked in this thread coming from a more "progressive" angle are Opeth and Dream Theater.  Dream Theater helped create the prog metal genre and has a huge fan base, and Opeth (from Sweden) are one of the most popular and successful metal bands out there right now.  They are also one of the most unique, blending influences as diverse as folk, jazz, stoner rock and death metal into something utterly original and captivating.  Their last album (Heritage) wasn't even metal, more prog/art rock and experimental.     

Here's one of Opeth's metal songs - "Ghost of Perdition".  It's a great example of their diversity:

Opeth - Ghost of Perdition (live - Roundhouse Tapes)

And here's Dream Theater's greatest instrumental (IMO), "Erotomania":

Dream Theater - Erotomania

Eddie Coyle

Because I'm so negative you can't even take a picture of me, here's metal bands I dislike.

Metallica(since Feb 1989) loved them...until they showed up at the Grammys in Feb '89. All downhill since in every imaginable way.

Motorhead. Haven't even attempted to make a good album since 1981.

Pantera. The birth of "mall metal", "jock metal", "mongoloid metal" are branches of this poser band tree. I liked them at one point, then I turned 16. Helped paved the way for Korn and company too.
        Anthrax. If they were from Cleveland , they wouldn't be part of "big 4"(a fraud concept anyway) shameless self promoting whores, sucked since 1986, Scott Ian is on VH1 more than Michael Bolton used to be(remember when VH1 aired nothing but him and Anita Baker, yuck)
        Deftones. Anything nu-metal is a feces-laden bucket of AIDS.

Blutsauger

Quote from: Agent : Orange on March 06, 2012, 08:11:06 PM
It's tough to get heavier than scandinavian black metal, what with the burning the churches and all.

This. The fact that Apoctaliptica was mentioned here as relevent makes me facepalm so much I will wake up with a black eye.

hosehead

European?  I have a credit on Helion's The Shores of Evermore. Big in Finland for quite a while. Might be dated by now. Time flies.

Kaiborg

Quote from: Blutsauger on March 10, 2012, 11:46:10 PM

This. The fact that Apoctaliptica was mentioned here as relevent makes me facepalm so much I will wake up with a black eye.

I was kinda thinking that.  But whoever mentioned black metal is dead on.  Also, when you look at metal on the global scale, it's a pretty big scene.  10-15 years ago, Opeth, In Flames, Mercyful Fate, Emperor, and Arch Enemy were all making very cool, relevant and progressive stuff in Europe.  A few lesser known-bands from Japan worth looking into are Sigh and Sex Machineguns. 

I'm almost surprised no one's mentioned Ministry here yet.  For some odd reason, I'm thinking Ministry would make really awesome bumper music.   :o

http://youtu.be/uxgk9N9Oi6g

http://youtu.be/lspjLG9nHXk

Eddie Coyle

Just my opinion here...but Ministry(along with The Cult) are the biggest goddamn posers. They started out as Depeche Mode wannabes, became "dark goths", tried to court thrash audiences.Al Jourgensen has the ethics of Gene Simmons. 

b_dubb

I was hiking around the Glenn in Yellow Springs, Ohio today and heard some long haired metal dork dressed in black talking about "the mundane people". yeah buddy ... you're the first to wear that "uniform"

ziznak

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on October 31, 2011, 09:43:56 PM

I was a major headbanger from 15 to about 25...

The usual suspects, with some obscure acts thrown in

Black Sabbath/Ozzy/Dio
      Deep Purple/Rainbow/Gillan
      Judas Priest/Halford
       Iron Maiden/Bruce Dickinson
       Mercyful Fate/King Diamond
       Slayer
        Metallica
         Megadeth
           Overkill
         Motorhead
         Nevermore
         Deicide
         Bathory
          Venom
         Death
          Morbid Angel
          Manowar
          Candlemass
          Savatage
          Witchfinder General
really deep purple and venom still exist?  kind diamond vids are also funny to watch but yeah man pretty good list there.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: ziznak on April 08, 2012, 12:12:10 AM
really deep purple and venom still exist?  kind diamond vids are also funny to watch but yeah man pretty good list there.
With Deep Purple and Venom, I'm talking past tense. They still exist...but it ain't the same. A Deep Purple without Lord and Blackmore ain't Deep Purple. Venom has generally been lame for over 20 years...but Welcome To Hell and Black Metal still hold a place in my black heart. Same for Mercyful Fate/King Diamond.

Kaiborg

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on April 07, 2012, 07:08:06 PM

Just my opinion here...but Ministry(along with The Cult) are the biggest goddamn posers. They started out as Depeche Mode wannabes, became "dark goths", tried to court thrash audiences.Al Jourgensen has the ethics of Gene Simmons. 

I know what you mean, though I can't really fault them for improving their output.  I mean, if the Noorer suddenly started asking intelligent questions and reading his guests books, I wouldn't be so pissed.  Well, maybe that's too unlikely to be a realistic analogy.    ;)

That's so funny, I'm a Venom and Mercyful Fate fan as well.  Particularly MF...  "In The Shadows" is such an overlooked album!  Rock on, friend. 

http://youtu.be/lnWflsWqzFs

I love Ministry, but the recent Relapse album really sucks. Stick to the thrash industrial metal phase.

JustOneFix

Quote from: Agent : Orange on April 08, 2012, 06:28:10 PM
I love Ministry, but the recent Relapse album really sucks. Stick to the thrash industrial metal phase.

Not only that but the album art sucks ass too!  Ministry is doing a small tour this summer but doubt I'll go. Jourgensen must broke again!

They ruined the Revolting Cocks too. In fact I think the Cocks are dissolved now.

Quote from: JustOneFix on April 08, 2012, 06:51:44 PM
Not only that but the album art sucks ass too!  Ministry is doing a small tour this summer but doubt I'll go. Jourgensen must broke again!

They ruined the Revolting Cocks too. In fact I think the Cocks are dissolved now.
I'm not sure about that, they released an album in 2010, and performed live in 2011. They might still be kicking. Their earlier material was really great but the newer stuff doesn't have the same shine to it.

A few industrial acts that have seemed to buck that trend have been KMFDM, My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult and Killing Joke (though they are more post-punk than anything). These guys have all been pretty consistent over their careers and generally tend to age like fine wine.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on April 07, 2012, 07:08:06 PM

I don't think I agree with this. I don't mind if their sound and style changed over the years, Ministry has definitely evolved and as time went on, but they have settled into the thrash genre pretty neatly since the late 80s. The early career was a lot more varied than the latter stuff, and they had a groove firmly established by then to the present.

The Land of Rape and Honey and The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste are two albums that are damn near perfect for what they are.

Now, if you're making arguments about Jourgenson himself outside of the music then I can see where you're coming from. NWO was used in a beer commercial which might be enough to get under your skin depending on how elitist you are about branding. But trying to sue Rob Zombie for ripping off his look is a bit much. Jourgenson also almost broke up Skinny Puppy after the Rabies album, which was right when that band entered it's most creative period.

JustOneFix

Once Paul Barker came on the scene is when Ministry started changing for the better. I can comment on the The Cure as I don't listen to them.

I forgot RevCo released another album after Sex-O, I think it was Got Cock or something long that line?

I agree TKK & KMFDM have aged well. I saw TKK with Lords of Acid in 2010 and they put on a hell of a show. I thought it was interesting they played the Land of Rape & Honey album during the set change between TKK & LOA. Excellent choice IMO!

I'm surprised Al hasn't sued Billy The Exterminator for stealing his look....haha!

Quote from: Agent : Orange on March 06, 2012, 08:11:06 PM

Hate to be the metal elitist of the thread, but black metal isn't heavy. Unless you're joking...in which case, you got me.

Good metal bands:

Morbid Angel
Nile
Cryptopsy
Origin
Death

WOTR

I used to be into punk... I did not ever really consider what I have listened to as heavy metal, but it appears that some do.  I would agree with the vote on apocalyptica.  I had to search for this one as most versions are blocked in Canada, but life burns featuring Lauri Ylonen of the Rasmus is great.  Actually, you could probably add Rasmus to your list of good bands.
Apocalyptica & Laury Ylonen - Life Burns - Music Video - Video
Since Turunen left nightwish I really have just stopped following them.  To my mind, they ceased to be Sweedish goth and almost drifted to pop.  She just had a voice that nobody can copy and dead boys poem has to be one of the best showcases for it (though admittedly, far from what I would call metal.  Still, some of their other stuff is a little closer...)
Nightwish - Dead Boy's Poem (lyrics)
I have to admit that I sometimes like Sepultura.  They did almost a spoof with their song Roots (often claiming that it was accompanied by Pavarotti- but, of course it is not.)  Still kind of gives you an idea if you use your imagination of what heavy metal and opera might sound like if mixed...  At times kind of comical.
Sepultura Pavarotti Roots Bloody Roots
Possibly returning more to my punk roots (with the addition of fiddling) than necessarily being metal (though I think they are listed as metal) is Eluveitie.  Some of their stuff you will understand, some is sung in a dead language...
ELUVEITIE - Havoc (OFFICIAL VIDEO)
There are a few more as well, but I do not know how much of it you would consider heavy metal.  It seems that classical influenced and trained artists have become my thing the last number of years if I am listening to this style of music.

I have to add a video of the luna chicks only because they put on the best show I have ever attended.  It was held at an old bar that hosted a lot of the punk bands back in the day.  There were probably only 20 of us left at the end in the pit and the energy was amazing.  The bar was designed with a concrete support column in the middle of the pit.  Between the column and the hard core audience I know that several of us walked out more beat up than any other time.  Now the Luna chicks stopped around 2000.  CBGBs where they really got their start is closed, the bar in town that hosted them is now attempting to attract yuppies.  I get the feeling that the days of punk are over.  Anyhow, here they are.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x48zcv_lunachicks-say-what-you-mean_music?ralg=meta2-only#from=embed-playreloff-10

Mock Turtle
     Flipper's Blow Hole (formerly Flipper's Blow)
        Sentient Silicone
         Pain Thimble
          Lungfish
      Prima Teen Mystics
   Harlot Destroyers
Satanic Pig Riders
    Whore Spore
       Till Owlglass
    Cuffed Bitch
Mephisto Pizza Gang (backed by the family who backed Britney Fox, Ratt, &   
     Cinderella)

Spent Treacle
            Tentacles of Dawn (interesting connection to Rainn Wilson)
               Bunsen Burner Coroner
                Corpse By Gaslight
            Squinting Assassin
                Chester Drawers (folk metal)
                   Helium Head (some consider this one punk)
              Fouke Monster
     Slime Digit
Walrus Cunt (often toured with Slime Digit. Both were sued by Squinting Assassin.)
   Moose Blood Feast Blanket
     and finally,
         The Pterodactyls of Utopia

I've got some cassettes.....