• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

commercials to actual show time ration

Started by b_dubb, August 25, 2010, 11:41:58 PM

b_dubb

there's too much commercial BS to make it worth wading through to get to the actual show.  i'm going to stick to the Art Bell stream until they get a really interesting guest.  like Richard Hoagland's hairpiece

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: b_dubb on August 25, 2010, 11:41:58 PM
there's too much commercial BS to make it worth wading through to get to the actual show.  i'm going to stick to the Art Bell stream until they get a really interesting guest.  like Richard Hoagland's hairpiece
remember years ago when art left the first or second time, and mike siegel took over the show for a year?  the show/commercial ratio literally almost hit 40-50% per hour.  it was atrocious.  it wasn't siegel's fault, though.  it was the network.  with art gone, they could do whatever they wanted, and siegel was at their mercy entirely.  when art returned to host the show again in 2001 on a "permanent" basis, one of the things he insisted upon was a dramatic reduction in the number of commercials... and he got it.  i guess they're beginning to creep back in.  took the network a long time to increase the commercial count again, but i guess that's been because of art's continued sporadic involvement in the show and his influence on what happens and how things are done.  since i don't listen to the show anymore, i am not really able to compare the commercial load today with what was... but based on what you've said here, i guess it's a problem again.

MV/Liberace!

and by the way...
most of the commercials i've heard (on the rare occasion i DO catch any of the show) seem to appeal to old people or the neurotic hypochondriacal american.  nutritional supplements, health products, and geritol.

mylesstam

That was great when Art came back and he insisted on more interview/show time without commercial interuption. The quality of the show was improved. No more commercials about tonic water or gold in the middle of a great story or intricate scientific information.

The General

Agreed.

Speaking of commercials, it's funny listening to the CoastGab stream, how I occasionally miss the obligatory C Crane commercial or the BayGen thing.  God, what were the other crazy things Art was always schlepping? I don't remember.  It made for a good bathroom break from the show.  He advertised Gold too if I remember right.

By the way, it's cool also, listening to the stream, how it has a broadcast feel because others are listening and because it is being streamed/broadcast remotely.  It recaptures a little more magic than just listening to an old show on your iPod would.

My personal favorites were the night vision goggles. "Ever had something crawling on the edge of your perimeter?"  ;D The live commercials where Art had to schlep stuff was always hilarious. "...Call Bob Crane in the morning *dramatic stinger* Now back to your alien rape..."

C2C isn't even listen-to-able anymore. Between the commercials (the Big Nooron lost another level of respect... which I didn't think was possible when I heard the same Tahiti Resort commercials with Roseanne on another radio show... only difference is Roseanne's side of the convo was exactly the same) and just horrible bumper music, I just can't take it anymore. Only times I'll listen now is when I'm in my car in the middle of the night. Listening to Fumbles at 1 AM can be rather hilarious.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: general jamison johnson on August 27, 2010, 01:18:18 PM

By the way, it's cool also, listening to the stream, how it has a broadcast feel because others are listening and because it is being streamed/broadcast remotely.  It recaptures a little more magic than just listening to an old show on your iPod would.
Funny you should mention that. I get the same feeling. I don't listen to my actual Art Bell MP3 files. I only listen to the stream. I hadn't really given it any thought, but I guess you just articulated the reason why.

The General

Quote from: MV on August 27, 2010, 04:01:44 PM

Funny you should mention that. I get the same feeling. I don't listen to my actual Art Bell MP3 files. I only listen to the stream. I hadn't really given it any thought, but I guess you just articulated the reason why.

Well, I think a lot about that because I'm a musician.  If I hear one of my songs being broadcast on radio, it is infinitely more exciting than listening to my own recording of it.  Same song, but different experience entirely.  It's also true for some random song you love, hearing it broadcast is more exciting than listening to a recording.  It's being part of a group experience, even though you are still alone.  It's weird, but real.  And holds true for classic C2C shows as well.  Really cool.

starrmtn001

Quote from: MV on August 26, 2010, 01:43:01 AM
Quote from: b_dubb on August 25, 2010, 11:41:58 PM
remember years ago when art left the first or second time, and mike siegel took over the show for a year?  the show/commercial ratio literally almost hit 40-50% per hour.  it was atrocious.  it wasn't siegel's fault, though.  it was the network.  with art gone, they could do whatever they wanted, and siegel was at their mercy entirely.  when art returned to host the show again in 2001 on a "permanent" basis, one of the things he insisted upon was a dramatic reduction in the number of commercials... and he got it.  i guess they're beginning to creep back in.  took the network a long time to increase the commercial count again, but i guess that's been because of art's continued sporadic involvement in the show and his influence on what happens and how things are done.  since i don't listen to the show anymore, i am not really able to compare the commercial load today with what was... but based on what you've said here, i guess it's a problem again.

Art gave a portion of his salary in order to get more actual show time just for the sake of his listeners - that's why he had so many.   I can't imagine the unremarkable snooron  doing anything for anyone unless there was a good deal of self-gratification in it for him.

I remember a great commercial of Art's that was for some weight-loss product, it was funny because it started with no music or other cue, just Art's voice giving a loud "ARE YOU OVERWEWIGHT?" and every once in a while he'd jump from interview straight to this commercial without warning, and to the listener it would end up sounding like he was asking the guest in a very flat and rude way if he or she was a fatass. Of course after a few seconds you'd realize he went to break.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: general jamison johnson on August 27, 2010, 04:08:53 PM

Well, I think a lot about that because I'm a musician.  If I hear one of my songs being broadcast on radio, it is infinitely more exciting than listening to my own recording of it.  Same song, but different experience entirely.  It's also true for some random song you love, hearing it broadcast is more exciting than listening to a recording.  It's being part of a group experience, even though you are still alone.  It's weird, but real.  And holds true for classic C2C shows as well.  Really cool.
well shit, brother... let's hear some of your music.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: guildnavigator on August 27, 2010, 10:44:43 PM
I remember a great commercial of Art's that was for some weight-loss product, it was funny because it started with no music or other cue, just Art's voice giving a loud "ARE YOU OVERWEWIGHT?" and every once in a while he'd jump from interview straight to this commercial without warning, and to the listener it would end up sounding like he was asking the guest in a very flat and rude way if he or she was a fatass. Of course after a few seconds you'd realize he went to break.
BWAHAHAHA.... i remember this!!  wow, those were the days.  takes me straight back to the 1990s... the best decade ever.

The General

Quote from: MV on August 29, 2010, 12:16:05 AM

Well, yeah, ok.  It's at www.thesatellite4.com
I'm the gee-tar man.
I also make guitars.  www.pinupcustomguitars.com

MV/Liberace!

Well shit, general. You guys are really good, and it's doubly evident since the clip on your site is a live performance. I listened to the whole song there. Very impressive.  I am going to buy one of your CDs when I have some spare money.

If you ever need a drummer, call me up.

fafinaf

The c crane radio commercials are quite annoying.... and they definitely need to give the gold scam up!

b_dubb

i'm listening to the show via the C2C iPhone app using a friend's login info.  i'm finding the show a lot more tolerable without the commercials for GoldScheme.com, eFoods, etc.  when Geoory tells me he's trying to save my future my life ... well ... that pretty much destroys any/all credibility that he might have had otherwise

Strel

Quote from: b_dubb on October 08, 2010, 09:57:29 AMwhen Geoory tells me he's trying to save my future my life ... well ... that pretty much destroys any/all credibility that he might have had otherwise

He needs to save his head from that animal sitting on it...

Stevenqbosell

Quote from: general jamison johnson on September 02, 2010, 11:04:35 PM
Quote from: MV on August 29, 2010, 12:16:05 AM

Well, yeah, ok.  It's at www.thesatellite4.com
I'm the gee-tar man.
I also make guitars.  www.pinupcustomguitars.com

Hye man your stuff is funky - awesome stuff bro, I was bopping to the song on the main page all morning - Great sound, and great band

EvB

General JJ: I'm very impressed with your music!

kln1979

this is my first post here so with that I'd like to say Hello to all of you.
Im sure this has been discussed but i feel the amount of commercial breaks on C2C am is ridiculous ..
I am a subscriber and i actually prefer to listen to a local am station because the new age music seems never ending when i stream the show from the site....
I LOVE listening live but i cant take all the breaks.I will say i am a newbie and missed out on Art....I have searched youtube and such for recordings , the man was amazing...i don't know if long commercial breaks has always been apart of the show but i swear they seem longer on the subscriber stream... Maybe its just because of the awful music...anyways nice to meet ya.. :)

TrikeTrash

Use AutoRecorder (http://www.scott-inc.com/html/AR.htm) to record the program from a radio,  then
use Audacity (sourceforge) for playback the next day.  It's easy to "see" the breaks and jump over them.

MV/Liberace!

hey, kln.  welcome to the forums.  post often.

Sardondi

Quote from: kln1979 on May 14, 2012, 04:12:19 AM
this is my first post here so with that I'd like to say Hello to all of you.
Im sure this has been discussed but i feel the amount of commercial breaks on C2C am is ridiculous ..
I am a subscriber and i actually prefer to listen to a local am station because the new age music seems never ending when i stream the show from the site....
I LOVE listening live but i cant take all the breaks.I will say i am a newbie and missed out on Art....I have searched youtube and such for recordings , the man was amazing...i don't know if long commercial breaks has always been apart of the show but i swear they seem longer on the subscriber stream... Maybe its just because of the awful music...anyways nice to meet ya.. :)

Howdy. I broke down the show-to-ads ratio once, and as I recall out of a 4-hour show (240 minutes), some 2 hours 20 minutes (140 minutes) was show the rest ads/news; or 58% and change was show, the rest crapola.

As for the new-age music on streaming, I'd much rather have it than the ads. What's annoying to me is that it's same music all the time, every break, every night. Gaaaaaaa!!!

Quote from: Sardondi on May 14, 2012, 11:07:50 AM
Howdy. I broke down the show-to-ads ratio once, and as I recall out of a 4-hour show (240 minutes), some 2 hours 20 minutes (140 minutes) was show the rest ads/news; or 58% and change was show, the rest crapola.

This is still pretty accurate.  Although I know I shouldn't be, I am a "Coast Insider" (i.e. I pay for the c2c podcasts).  It is easy to see how long each show is when it downloads to iTunes.  They range from 36 to 40 minutes per hour.  The rest is ads and bumper music.  Sometimes during the day I listen to shows on my C Crane Witness which can play MP3s at 1.5 speed.  So one can listen to an hour of c2c in a little over 20 minutes.

You can also record shows on the CC Witness (saving subscribtion costs) and fast forward thru the breaks at one of the fast forward speeds.  At the first 2 of these you cannot hear the words, but you can hear the change in tone from the show to breaks.  I used to do this, but got tired of fast forwarding and the sometimes poor reception on the recordings.

I know people will associate C Crane with c2c, but they advertise on different radio shows.  I have bought a few of their products over the years and have almost always been happy with them.  (The only product I was not happy with was a single ear bud earphone (it kept falling out of my ear) but it did have good sound quality and was less than $10.  [End of unpaid plug.]

ziznak

When I download the shows each hour's file is approximately 36-40mins long so this is def true... that's why I hate listening when the shows air cause I cant stand sitting through the adds... I'll try to watch like a movie while i listen ya know half hour of coast then back to the latest game of thrones... but what I really hate is when they come back with a lil teaser with the host saying blah blah blah our guest some dude blah blah (this makes me pause what I'm watching and turn the coast stream back up) then... the host says... coming up in just a little bit and boom more adds.... sux... It's like they're faking me out or something just to piss me off