• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Coastgab backbenchers - The Smoking Room

Started by Marc.Knight, January 06, 2010, 09:21:21 PM

Marc.Knight

Quote from: GuerrillaUnReal on September 18, 2010, 07:02:47 PM
Man... I quit smoking three months ago but this thread is seriously tempting me to get into my Cohiba stash.  ;D

At the moment I only have a nice assortment of Dominican Republic brands.  The last time I was in the DR (last week) I picked up some 'La Aurora Finos'.  I recommend them.

MV/Liberace!

"More doctors smoke Camels then any other brand."  Well then. People used to be so stupid. I know they still are in many ways, but that really is some shit.

JustOneFix

I primarily smoke Marlboro Reds, but have a few Arturo Fuentes and Rocky Patels put away for special occasions.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: JustOneFix on February 11, 2011, 10:56:03 PM
I primarily smoke Marlboro Reds, but have a few Arturo Fuentes and Rocky Patels put away for special occasions.
you should give the marlboro blend 27 a shot.  very nutty.  the perfect coffee cigarette.

aldousburbank

A very good friend of mine, Election Day, Arizona, Nov. 2010, yeah Prop. 203!

Quote from: Michael V. on February 11, 2011, 11:24:16 PM
you should give the marlboro blend 27 a shot.  very nutty.  the perfect coffee cigarette.

AAAAHHT!...

Those were my brand (that most people actually carried) the other being Nat Sherman Classics (which most people didn't have)

Been quit for a few years now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

onan

It is not fair.

I have never smoked a day in my life. My parents were chain-smoking addicts for my entire existence until I left home, joined the army. Then the bastards quit. That was decades ago, now I have been diagnosed with asthma, I have 75% of the lung capacity of my peers. I have to have 4 surgeries in the next several months to reconstruct my subglottal trachea.

I have never been enamored with the practice of smoking, especially since so many schizophrenics chain smoke to self medicate.

So the discussion of the pleasures of smoking... heck I'm just bitchin

Quote from: onan on February 17, 2011, 03:10:17 PM
So many schizophrenics chain smoke to self medicate.

I've noticed this! What's up with that?

onan

Quote from: Do you think it was angels? on February 17, 2011, 03:16:01 PM

In a nutshell, nicotine increases the amount of dopamine produced. Dopamine, a neurotransmitter has a pleasureable affect and a calming affect. People use cigarettes to help calm themselves. Schizophrenics seem to attempt to keep the calm by smoking more. Many people with different types of mental illness try to self medicate to help stabilize themselves. Current thought is that many drug addicts are in actuality suffering from some form of mental illness separate from drug abuse.

Very interesting conclusions come from that idea. People are more rational than given credit for. Not all of your children are easily susceptible to drug addiction. And medicines should be much more widely available!

b_dubb

Quote from: onan on February 17, 2011, 03:58:48 PM
In a nutshell, nicotine increases the amount of dopamine produced. Dopamine, a neurotransmitter has a pleasureable affect and a calming affect. People use cigarettes to help calm themselves. Schizophrenics seem to attempt to keep the calm by smoking more. Many people with different types of mental illness try to self medicate to help stabilize themselves. Current thought is that many drug addicts are in actuality suffering from some form of mental illness separate from drug abuse.
i totally buy this.  especially considering how broke everyone seems to be and how fucking expensive it is to get treatment for anything - especially mental illness

EvB

I'm not bi-curious, and I've never explored another woman's nooks or crannies in my life - but there is SOMETHING about this photo that just . . .

Um . . .

never mind.

Quote from: onan on February 17, 2011, 03:58:48 PM

I can see this.

From my own experience working the long hours of the damned (graduate student): When a piece of code finally works in the middle of the night, it's something to rejoice over. I find that whenever I make a significant breakthrough, my first reaction is to hit the balcony for a smoke. I've realized this is due to my desire to prolong that dopamine rush. Sometimes I will delay taking a break purposefully before getting something to work just to make the rush that much more rewarding when I get those first few satisfying puffs. It's more than just wanting to work - the feeling of reward lasts *that* much longer when it's topped out with a hit of nicotene.

Bad habits and all that, I know... but I'll be damned if it doesn't give that kick to keep going for just another few hours, long enough to potentially make something else work out...

EvB

QuoteFrom my own experience working the long hours of the damned (graduate student)

Can I get an AMEN!?

anagrammy

Quote from: Do you think it was angels? on February 17, 2011, 03:16:01 PM

Trying to manage moods all day, only it's on the front burner with schizophrenics and failure means hospitalization.  So it's coffee to feel alive again after the deadening effects of the antipsychotic medication.  And it's cigarettes to "even things out" as my son says. 

I also suspect part of it for some is a structure and ritual easing socialization.  Mental illness leaves a person feeling very separate and dealing with other people plus internal stimuli can be additional stress.  Having the simple structure of sharing/borrowing cigarettes and the tiny underground economy  around the habit, the comraderie, is an artificial "tribe" to which they almost all belong.  My son rolls his own and the purchasing, preparing, and smoking of the tobacco is a focal point of his day.

Anything that helps him get through the day, even if it shortens his life, fine by me.

Anagrammy

EvB

Quote from: Agent : Orange on March 04, 2011, 09:53:31 AM
What are you studying?

I'm finishing an MEd in Learning Technology.  You?

And I often think I NEED muzzle therapy!  :-X