• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Your favorite radio shows/podcasts

Started by henge0stone, August 25, 2016, 08:01:30 PM

henge0stone

here are mine roughly in order based on how I feel right now

All time favorite shows
C2C/Dreamland/Dark Matter/MITD w/ Art Bell (obviously)
No Agenda

Favorite shows
All Things Considered/Morning Edition (are basically the same show. In particular news stories about space and environment)
Mysterious Universe
Radiolab (I'm a pretty new listener but already I look forward to it every monday
Long John Nebel (would be higher if there were more shows available)
Travel with Rick Steve's (Great show that touches on history and culture)
Howard Stern show (used to love it but really has gone down hill)

Shows I enjoy here and now
Living on Earth (starting to get into it might fall down the list)
Talk of the Nation (mainly older shows)
Monster Talk
Fresh Air (a real hit and miss depending on the topic)
Listen with the Lights on (a local folklore/paranormal show on WAMC)

Shows I listen to just because their on
Sean Hannity
Democray Now!
Mark Levin (starting to like him more)
Rush Limbaugh
(all of these shows I listen to mainly because I hate clinton and the media isnt covering all her nonsense. After the election season not sure if I'll still be listening)
Ground Zero with Clyde Lewis (I fall asleep to it, but rarely listen to the whole show. Have a few old shows downloaded and they're okay but really just fun paranormal show to fall asleep to and nothing more)
C2C w. Noory or any other host

Shows I was into which might eventually get into the other lists again
Radio Trainwreck (no new shows ever)
Paracast (on par paranormal show, the michael horn show was great, he was royally owned. Not much more to keep me interested)
Unexplained with Howard Hughes (basically the same as art bell but less interesting)
Originz/ Mysteries Abound (no new shows)

Ciardelo

I can agree with most of your list but I would add:

The Jonathon Brandmeier Show (Chicago-based light fare that is sometimes hit or miss, but moves along quickly)

I also like Military X-Files (More or less weekly, but I have to run the show through ReplayGain on Foobar2000 because they BLAST the ads and have trouble with sound levels)

I also like NPR's Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me and some of the other NPR weekly shows.

Don't forget Don Carlin's Hardcore History (very high quality, full-length explorations of history)

JesusJuice

Talk Of The Nation was my favorite until it was cancelled then I focused on Tell Me More until that too was cancelled. Now I only listen to Morning Edition and All Things Considered and sometimes Fresh Air.

I used to listen to Dreamland every week but I stopped awhile ago. After Whitley's wife died he started doing mostly shows about reincarnation and meeting people in the afterlife. I saw in the description for one episode that he claimed that Anne was co-hosting from beyond with him. I couldn't bring myself to listen to that one.

I don't watch much t.v. I usually just leave WGN AM on and listen to whatever's on.

I still listen to C2C. I like the weekend hosts but I'll listen to Noory depending on the guest. I've given up on Hoagland's show. I've been listening to End Of Days more.

henge0stone

Quote from: JesusJuice on August 26, 2016, 01:58:05 AM
Talk Of The Nation was my favorite until it was cancelled then I focused on Tell Me More until that too was cancelled. Now I only listen to Morning Edition and All Things Considered and sometimes Fresh Air.

I used to listen to Dreamland every week but I stopped awhile ago. After Whitley's wife died he started doing mostly shows about reincarnation and meeting people in the afterlife. I saw in the description for one episode that he claimed that Anne was co-hosting from beyond with him. I couldn't bring myself to listen to that one.

I don't watch much t.v. I usually just leave WGN AM on and listen to whatever's on.

I still listen to C2C. I like the weekend hosts but I'll listen to Noory depending on the guest. I've given up on Hoagland's show. I've been listening to End Of Days more.

Oh many co hosting from the beyond thats just sad. Its like a seriously worried about whitley's mental health sad.
I never listened to whitley's dreamland just the art shows in the archive which were basically just what C2C would become as time went on.

I really should listen to hardcore history since Im a huge history fan. Hows end of days?

GravitySucks

Quote from: henge0stone on August 26, 2016, 04:53:47 PM
Oh many co hosting from the beyond thats just sad. Its like a seriously worried about whitley's mental health sad.
I never listened to whitley's dreamland just the art shows in the archive which were basically just what C2C would become as time went on.

I really should listen to hardcore history since Im a huge history fan. Hows end of days?

EODR has its following. Not for me, kind of crass. But they work hard and try to provide entertainment.

Ciardelo1

Quote from: Ciardelo on August 26, 2016, 01:48:36 AM
I can agree with most of your list but I would add:

The Jonathon Brandmeier Show (Chicago-based light fare that is sometimes hit or miss, but moves along quickly)

I also like Military X-Files (More or less weekly, but I have to run the show through ReplayGain on Foobar2000 because they BLAST the ads and have trouble with sound levels)

I also like NPR's Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me and some of the other NPR weekly shows.

Don't forget Don Carlin's Hardcore History (very high quality, full-length explorations of history)
You fucking idiot. It's DAN not Don you asshole.

Ciardelo

Quote from: CR Delough on August 26, 2016, 04:59:46 PM
You fucking idiot. It's DAN not Don you asshole.
No need to get personal dude. Hey, we're on the same team right?

Ciardelo1

Quote from: Ciardelo on August 26, 2016, 05:01:39 PM
No need to get personal dude. Hey, we're on the same team right?
Oh yeah, sure. Except your team has all catchers.

GravitySucks

Michael Berry and Joe Pags out of Texas are really some decent talk show hosts. Both are available on iHateArt.

Both right of center, Berry hates Trump, is still pissed Cruz didn't get the nod. But both will blast the GOP if they do something stupid.

http://ktrh.iheart.com/onair/michael-berry-13986/

http://woai.iheart.com/onair/the-joe-pags-show-10/

Ciardelo

Quote from: CR Delough on August 26, 2016, 05:03:13 PM
Oh yeah, sure. Except your team has all catchers.
Oh right. Blow me.

Now hush, the big people are posting now.

malliard

Wheres all the shows from Art Bell's Dark Matter Network?

Ciardelo

Quote from: malliard on August 26, 2016, 06:52:13 PM
Wheres all the shows from Art Bell's Dark Matter Network?
You have a point. I think we overlooked that show with Shay's fishing buddies, Expanded Perspectives.

Ciardelo1

Lest we forget about PG's Deep Talk Radio Network; there's some good shows on it. One I like is True Crime Garage.

Corona Kitty

The dark matter network is more like, the dark fecal matter network, let us be real here. I was a fan of The Howard Stern show, until he turned into everything he hated. Now I find it difficult to listen to the wig wearing hypocrite.

I have no problem with those who wear wigs, however one shouldn't be afraid of their aging appearance. No matter how bad the hair gets, just own it.

Loveline - another great program that had a solid run in the 90s, later years both hosts turned into individuals I have no words for.

The Tom Leykis show - I will occasionally tune in here and there. Tom has a special ability to still offend and entertain even after all these years. People can say what they want about him, but he still puts on a very entertaining & informative program.

I'm not a right wing whacko, however i will occasionally listen to the likes of Sean Hannity & Mike Huckabee not because I enjoy them but because I want to hear what kind of distorted views they've got.

John B Wells ark midnight - I'll listen when i get a chance to, I recently was given access to his archives, I'm beginning to listen again, I love John & will always respect him. He's been getting some heat with his monologues, but I suspect there to be a Dallas motive in play, I won't get into it.

Coast to Coast AM - what can I say, I can't quit. Like many I'll listen in my car or when I shower, yes I'm one of those who listens to radio while I shower,
I have a great deal of respect for those who have kept the program running, we can discuss the politics of the show for years, as evidence is in front of us now. However who really gives a shit now a days,

the program is here to stay and will remain the top nationally syndicated radio program. I don't know what the future holds for radio or for those who keep the ball moving truly but I don't see coast ever going away.

I find it difficult to listen to other shows now a days, finding the time to listen is the conundrum. I'm busy with other projects I have going on.

I Will say however that there have been number of talented individuals, here who put on great shows, there are people obviously outside of these walls who put on some great shows. I am cynical so i require limited guidance since I mostly dislike what others tend to enjoy.

Uncle Duke

www.beyondinvestigation.com/biforum/frontpage_full.asp?TID=72

The Pat & Brian Show--I've mentioned these guys before, they do a very entertaining, skeptic-leaning paranormal show live on Wed nights at 10 pm Pacific Time.  The site above also continually broadcasts archived shows as well.  I think they are a hoot, especially when they have a guest who doesn't have his/her shit in one sock.  I'd love to hear these guys interview some of the paranormal guests (like Paulides, for example) who get a pass on C2C, they'd ask the questions we never hear from the Georges.  I would call them an acquired taste, but once I got synced up with their sense of humor and irreverent style, I was sold.

Quote from: Uncle Duke on August 28, 2016, 04:11:16 PM
www.beyondinvestigation.com/biforum/frontpage_full.asp?TID=72

The Pat & Brian Show--I've mentioned these guys before, they do a very entertaining, skeptic-leaning paranormal show live on Wed nights at 10 pm Pacific Time.  The site above also continually broadcasts archived shows as well.  I think they are a hoot, especially when they have a guest who doesn't have his/her shit in one sock.  I'd love to hear these guys interview some of the paranormal guests (like Paulides, for example) who get a pass on C2C, they'd ask the questions we never hear from the Georges.  I would call them an acquired taste, but once I got synced up with their sense of humor and irreverent style, I was sold.

As always thanks for the steer, Duke.    So far so good.

albrecht

Quote from: GravitySucks on August 26, 2016, 05:03:51 PM
Michael Berry and Joe Pags out of Texas are really some decent talk show hosts. Both are available on iHateArt.

Both right of center, Berry hates Trump, is still pissed Cruz didn't get the nod. But both will blast the GOP if they do something stupid.

http://ktrh.iheart.com/onair/michael-berry-13986/

http://woai.iheart.com/onair/the-joe-pags-show-10/
Wasn't Berry the guy involved in a hit-and-run after leaving a homo bar ('not that there is anything wrong with that') in Montrose? He had some excuses about just wanting a beer but he is not a tourist who might not know about Montrose and not a place to get a beer unless you are looking for a certain scene.

Re: radio shows. I still like the sporadic ones, but since he is in his 90s I cut him a break, Milt Rosenberg podcasts, Hardcore History, getting into fellow resident Ghost (I am not Ghost and don't think Alex is either,) and I still listen to Norry but usually in background and when doing things like mowing the lawn, working in the garage, etc. GZ, some RedIce, and even Alex and NPR on occasion to see how the nuts and propaganda is going.

GravitySucks

Quote from: albrecht on August 28, 2016, 06:32:38 PM
Wasn't Berry the guy involved in a hit-and-run after leaving a homo bar ('not that there is anything wrong with that') in Montrose? He had some excuses about just wanting a beer but he is not a tourist who might not know about Montrose and not a place to get a beer unless you are looking for a certain scene.

Re: radio shows. I still like the sporadic ones, but since he is in his 90s I cut him a break, Milt Rosenberg podcasts, Hardcore History, getting into fellow resident Ghost (I am not Ghost and don't think Alex is either,) and I still listen to Norry but usually in background and when doing things like mowing the lawn, working in the garage, etc.

I vaguely remember the story. He was a city councilman, so I am sure he has been in all sorts of strange places through the years. His wife was the Secretary of State under Perry. They adopted two Ethiopian boys. Interesting side note. He refused to accept any pay for his first year on city council because Houston was in financial trouble. When he was term-limited out, they refused to approve his retirement pension because he had not been paid for the first year.

albrecht

Quote from: GravitySucks on August 28, 2016, 06:40:08 PM
I vaguely remember the story. He was a city councilman, so I am sure he has been in all sorts of strange places through the years. His wife was the Secretary of State under Perry. They adopted two Ethiopian boys. Interesting side note. He refused to accept any pay for his first year on city council because Houston was in financial trouble. When he was term-limited out, they refused to approve his retirement pension because he had not been paid for the first year.
Before they moved out to Memorial area my cousin and his wife (younger, before kids) bought a condo in Montrose because close in to work it was gentrifying even then (though we laughed so hard because every realtor or broker who came out to look at or show the place was so limp wristed) so Berry's story could be legit but still a bit suspect. Previously they were renting in the 5th Ward (but was gentrifying also but one block away if you took a wrong turn to get to their place there would be gangbangers playing dominoes drinking and smoking on card tables in empty yards, strung out hookers, and offers to sell you crack, or worse. Now you go there and much of it condos, yuppies, coffee shops, etc. Like Austin the 'bad areas' are being gentrified at a rapid rate. Though I wonder now with oil&gas so cheap and big players like Exxon-Mobil moving out of downtown to Woodlands etc how the real estate is doing there. We are still friggin crazy.

starrmtn001

Quote from: The General on August 30, 2016, 02:56:02 PM
Thinking Sideways Podcast
Say, General, I just started mandolin lessons last week and I was wondering whether there are going to be any Fret File Podcasts in the future.  Thank you. :D

albrecht

Quote from: starrmtn001 on August 30, 2016, 03:32:55 PM
Say, General, I just started mandolin lessons last week and I was wondering whether there are going to be any Fret File Podcasts in the future.  Thank you. :D
Nice, I like the mandolin but it always seemed like a hard instrument, need small fingers or something. Good luck on it!

The General

Quote from: starrmtn001 on August 30, 2016, 03:32:55 PM
Should be a new one posted today or tomorrow.
It's already recorded, just waiting for MV to post it at UFOship.com
Thanks for listening, good luck with the mando.

starrmtn001

Quote from: The General on August 31, 2016, 02:11:00 PM
Should be a new one posted today or tomorrow.
It's already recorded, just waiting for MV to post it at UFOship.com
Thanks for listening, good luck with the mando.
Cool!  Thank you, The General. ;D

starrmtn001

Quote from: albrecht on August 30, 2016, 07:13:43 PM
Nice, I like the mandolin but it always seemed like a hard instrument, need small fingers or something. Good luck on it!
I have small hands.  That's why I never learned guitar.  However, I do play the soprano and alto recorder, Irish Penny Whistle, Keyboard, and Tambourine, and soon the Mandolin. ;)

Robert

For all-time favorite, the easy answer for me would be the Jean Shepherd Show.  But that answer's a bit too easy, because although it was my favorite then, I don't know if he still would be today.  I mean, when I get over my technical problem, am I going to rush first to hear archives of Jean Shepherd, many shows of which are available?  No, I'm going to catch up on shows I've missed in recent months of "7 Second Delay" and probably some other WFMU programs.

I listened to more hours of Howard Stern than anything else, but although it was amazing he could be so entertaining for so many of those hours, if I had to pick in advance a "blind" hour of his versus some other programs, I don't think I'd pick his today.  And I'm referring only to his broadcast stuff on WNBC & WXRK.  I didn't get to hear his Sirius shows, and a record a friend of mine played for me of his 1970s material, which my friend thought was very funny, didn't sound like such good material to me; meanwhile my friend didn't like his stuff on New York radio.  Shows how not only do our own tastes change, but so do the performers.

"Post Serial" on WCWP was hilarious in its day (1980s), but I'm not sure it'd hold my interest as well if it were on now.  They do have a lot of alumni in commercial radio, like Mike Mamon, but not usually on-mic.

trostol

nothing cause they either all stink, all have the same guests or i am generally over the topics...