• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

One Hundred Years Ago

Started by Rix Gins, January 01, 2016, 08:20:14 PM

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on May 26, 2019, 07:51:12 PM
Good to know. The book I was reading used the term "yegg" to specially refer to safe-crackers.  Here is a park map. I see no references to an "Elk." Though the website shows a Lion statue on it.  I suspect Bjorn was up to something but the use of the term "edification" and Sabbath is also odd.

https://www.rigov.org/DocumentCenter/View/1072/longview?bidId=

It is (or was) quite a handsome statue, with a prominent sign that suggests trouble.

I could see a bunch of Swedes putting quotes around "elk" since elk to them means a moose.

WOTR

I would like to know why "riding the elk" is not proper on the sabbath, and why it would be entertainment for those watching. I could not find any hints either... And the article does not appear to reference the picture found below...  ;)

chefist

WHERE IS EDDIE COYLE? WHERE?

Rix Gins

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 26, 2019, 08:01:29 PM
It is (or was) quite a handsome statue, with a prominent sign that suggests trouble.

I could see a bunch of Swedes putting quotes around "elk" since elk to them means a moose.

Good find, K.!  Notice the change in seasons on the trees?

K_Dubb

Quote from: Rix Gins on May 26, 2019, 08:20:47 PM
Good find, K.!  Notice the change in seasons on the trees?

Yeah and the leafy one looks like snow -- early fall, maybe?

WOTR

Quote from: chefist on May 26, 2019, 08:03:56 PM
WHERE IS EDDIE COYLE? WHERE?
Last seen riding a caribou in the arctic...  ;)

Rix Gins

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 26, 2019, 08:23:26 PM
Yeah and the leafy one looks like snow -- early fall, maybe?

It sure looks like it.  The man with the hat is dressed for cold weather, but no large overcoat or anything.

albrecht

Great sleuthing K_Dubb n all. Yes the quotes about "elk" makes sense. The names etc for various animals differ. No why Lapps n some Siberians etc figured out a way to herd caribou/reindeer but natives in NA did not is weird. There were attempts to 'teach' Eskimos/Inuit by our govt but didnt take.

Kidnostad3

My grandfather circa 1919. 

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress, May 29, 1919.

The Rock Island Argus.

The Seattle Star.

Rix Gins

From the Imperial War Museum, May 30, 1919.

QuoteAmerican engineers repairing broken wire during a training gas attack. Andernach, 30 May 1919.
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205308496 © IWM (Q 60987)

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress, May 30, 1919.

The Rock Island Argus

The Seattle Star

Quote from: Rix Gins on May 30, 2019, 02:15:25 AM
From the Imperial War Museum, May 30, 1919.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205308496 © IWM (Q 60987)
LOL - Glad I didn't post that one too - Heh, heh, heh.

Good to see you.   :)

But, Hey...
Check this out - News from down under.
I't a literal trove.

"    A promising find of scbeelite is reported to have been made by two prospectors near the old Union Jack mine, five miles from Coolgardie. The lode ts Mated [?] ...
Article : 71 words   

KANOWNA GOLD MINE.

Another rich parcel of dre from the Kanowna gold mine hae just been cleaned up, 42 tone yielding 1,172oz. 14dwt. Another 20 tons were ready for the mill, but ...
Article : 120 words

PRICE FOR BUTTER.

The maximum prices for butter in Western Australia under an order coming into force on May 26 are fixed as, follow:â€" Within the metropolitan area and within ...
Article : 219 words   "

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/page/3513707

(One of the better ones out there and not blocked by a pay-wall.)

Rix Gins

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on May 30, 2019, 02:50:47 AM
LOL - Glad I didn't post that one too - Heh, heh, heh.

Good to see you.   :)

But, Hey...
Check this out - News from down under.
I't a literal trove.

"    A promising find of scbeelite is reported to have been made by two prospectors near the old Union Jack mine, five miles from Coolgardie. The lode ts Mated [?] ...
Article : 71 words   

KANOWNA GOLD MINE.

Another rich parcel of dre from the Kanowna gold mine hae just been cleaned up, 42 tone yielding 1,172oz. 14dwt. Another 20 tons were ready for the mill, but ...
Article : 120 words

PRICE FOR BUTTER.

The maximum prices for butter in Western Australia under an order coming into force on May 26 are fixed as, follow:â€" Within the metropolitan area and within ...
Article : 219 words   "

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/page/3513707

(One of the better ones out there and not blocked by a pay-wall.)

Hi Logan.  Great to see you too.  Nice site.  The mining news makes me think that we should get your great Gems thread back up and running.  Cheers!

Quote from: Rix Gins on May 30, 2019, 02:59:00 AM
Hi Logan.  Great to see you too.  Nice site.  The mining news makes me think that we should get your great Gems thread back up and running.  Cheers!
Probably not a bad idea.   
(It'll keep me from changing persona's and messing w/ the trolls - He he he.)     ;)   ;D

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Seattle Star, June 4, 1919.

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island (Ill) Argus., June 05, 1919.

WOTR

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on May 30, 2019, 03:05:07 AM
Probably not a bad idea.   
(It'll keep me from changing persona's and messing w/ the trolls - He he he.)     ;)   ;D

Trolls? Here?!?

It seems that the 100 year ago news was overtaken by the "75 years ago" news today. Hard to believe that only 25 years had passed between the end of WWI (all of the rebuilding and death) and D-day. Hard to imagine that our collective memories were really that short...

Rix Gins

Quote from: WOTR on June 07, 2019, 01:33:53 AM
Trolls? Here?!?

It seems that the 100 year ago news was overtaken by the "75 years ago" news today. Hard to believe that only 25 years had passed between the end of WWI (all of the rebuilding and death) and D-day. Hard to imagine that our collective memories were really that short...

Twenty five years.  If there is anything to reincarnation, I wonder how many soldiers & sailors who were killed in WWI made it back in time to take part in WWII?

Rix Gins

From the Rock Island Argus., June 09, 1919.

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Omaha Daily Bee., June 10, 1919.

https://thelawdictionary.org/article/what-is-a-capias-warrant/

Rix Gins

Quote from: Sixteen on June 10, 2019, 09:18:59 PM
The dogs are very lean by today's standards, but bulking up is not always best.
A stalker out on bond, sheesh.

I know, and apparently the dude failed to show up for the hearing.  I guess that's why the judge did that capias thing.  I noticed that the judge didn't scold the lady for threatening the perp's life.  Good for him.   

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus., June 11, 1919.

albrecht

Quote from: Rix Gins on June 11, 2019, 04:50:06 PM
     From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus., June 11, 1919.

Weird that having a side car would be considered to make them more stable, fast, or maneuverable? Or maybe the idea is that the person in the sidecar could shoot at suspects? Or their tires, like an old movie?

Rix Gins

Quote from: albrecht on June 11, 2019, 05:04:48 PM
Weird that having a side car would be considered to make them more stable, fast, or maneuverable? Or maybe the idea is that the person in the sidecar could shoot at suspects? Or their tires, like an old movie?

That puzzled me too.  Now I'm picturing Groucho taking off in the motorcycle while Harpo is still sitting in the sidecar, by the curb.

albrecht

Quote from: Rix Gins on June 11, 2019, 10:05:59 PM
That puzzled me too.  Now I'm picturing Groucho taking off in the motorcycle while Harpo is still sitting in the sidecar, by the curb.

Yes! Like the old 'Keystone Cops' and other b&w comedy classics seen at Shakey's Pizza, due to public domain, and on local tv channels for same reason. Before they went infomercial or preachers.

Jackstar

Quote from: albrecht on June 11, 2019, 10:33:10 PM
'Keystone Cops'

Note that this is Masonic satire. Think about it.

WOTR

Quote from: Rix Gins on June 11, 2019, 10:05:59 PM
Just watched "duck soup" last week...  :)

WOTR

Quote from: albrecht on June 11, 2019, 05:04:48 PM
I wonder if it also has to do with "safety in numbers." I have heard modern, local cops complain if they ride solo. They don't even want to pull over a motorist without a second cop for back-up. Maybe the sidecar guarantees that they both arrive at the exact same time, and that there is always somebody aware, with both hands available and at the ready.

Perhaps the whole "stability" thing was just a cover story?