• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Nexus Player: SNES Emulator, Full Blown PC, Android Device

Started by MV/Liberace!, January 07, 2015, 01:11:41 PM

cweb

Quote from: area51drone on June 26, 2015, 03:29:07 AM
They're about $40 used on ebay.    My guess is they'll be around $20 in another year maybe.   My TV will play media from a remote share, and has netflix/amazon/youtube/browser/picture viewer etc already built in.  Other than gaming (which is intriguing but I don't have much time to play), have you found much else to do with an android device on the tv?
If I didn't have an Xbox hooked up, it would be my Netflix/Youtube device as well. If I didn't have my laptop, it would also be used when I have people over and we want to watch a live stream or go to some pervy website.

Yeah... I think I get your point. It really sounds like a backup streaming/web device. In many ways, that's how I'm using it.

For me the value of purchasing it is still there because its emulation capabilities are more flexible than something like the Retron. Plus, if my (kindergarten-age) nieces are over, they can screw around with it and I don't have to worry about them cracking or smudging a screen.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: area51drone on June 26, 2015, 03:29:07 AM
...have you found much else to do with an android device on the tv?

it's replaced my pc at home.

area51drone

Quote from: MV on June 26, 2015, 01:03:11 PM

it's replaced my pc at home.

Really.. that's interesting.    I can't imagine it could substitute for a PC, unless you are just doing the absolute minimum at home - maybe a bit of browsing, some email or something.   No photoshop, no printer?   No torrents?  There are so many PC apps I can't imagine living without - SolidWorks, CoolEdit, UltraEdit, Visual Studio, Eclipse... the list could go on and on.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: area51drone on June 27, 2015, 01:12:17 AM
Really.. that's interesting.    I can't imagine it could substitute for a PC, unless you are just doing the absolute minimum at home - maybe a bit of browsing, some email or something.   No photoshop, no printer?   No torrents?  There are so many PC apps I can't imagine living without - SolidWorks, CoolEdit, UltraEdit, Visual Studio, Eclipse... the list could go on and on.

I don't use Photoshop. You can print from android. You can also do torrents.

area51drone

Quote from: MV on June 27, 2015, 01:41:12 AM
I don't use Photoshop. You can print from android. You can also do torrents.

How big is the memory on the nexus to save torrents, or are you saving to a HD off your router?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: area51drone on June 27, 2015, 09:53:28 AM

How big is the memory on the nexus to save torrents, or are you saving to a HD off your router?

You can connect an external hard drive to it via usb hub.

area51drone

Quote from: MV on June 27, 2015, 12:19:23 PM
You can connect an external hard drive to it via usb hub.

Ahh, nice.   I know some of the reason  you were doing this is because it's cheaper to power.   I actually shut my PC running xbmc off for that reason.    I figure it saves me somewhere between $15 and $20 a month vs having it on all the time, even when its in power save mode.  That alone is probably why I should switch to the nexus, so I can leave it on all the time.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: area51drone on June 28, 2015, 01:54:31 AM
Ahh, nice.   I know some of the reason  you were doing this is because it's cheaper to power.   I actually shut my PC running xbmc off for that reason.    I figure it saves me somewhere between $15 and $20 a month vs having it on all the time, even when its in power save mode.  That alone is probably why I should switch to the nexus, so I can leave it on all the time.

Yeah I don't think twice about leaving this on. It also generates zero heat.

area51drone

Do you know if any bluetooth controller will work with it, or is it only the nexus controller that will?   I have a couple of wireless wii game pads that I would hope could double duty...

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: area51drone on June 28, 2015, 08:20:01 AM
Do you know if any bluetooth controller will work with it, or is it only the nexus controller that will?   I have a couple of wireless wii game pads that I would hope could double duty...

any bluetooth controller will do.  i went ahead and bought the asus manufactured game controller that came with it, but i've not been very happy with the situation there because of the latency i'm getting.  it really screws up the gameplay on my SNES emulator.  i don't know if it's the nexus player, the emulator, or the wireless controller.  someone earlier in this thread told me to try a wired controller and that might eliminate the latency, but i haven't gotten around to it.

i will concede, i finally cracked.  last night i connected a full blown PC to my 65 inch vizio.  the nexus player is great for 99% of the stuff i do, but there's that remaining 1% that it really sucks at.  specifically, i'm talking about audio production.  getting podcasts ready and posted for download is EXCRUCIATING in android.  i kept pushing and pushing to make the nexus player/android into a PC, and for months it did the job for the most part, but there were just those few issues that are now fixed by ending my resistance and just connecting a goddamn pc to the tv.  now i can do everything i need/want to do, and it looks amazing on that screen.  btw... i can use the asus gamepad with the pc as soon as i connect a usb bluetooth dongle, so i'm going to try that and hopefully the latency issue will be resolved.

sydtron

This this is fucking amazing!      I use my PS3 for YouTube and netflixing.  It's ok. But would be nice to have a browser too.   Goddamnit man!!  Thanks!!

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: sydtron on August 19, 2015, 11:16:26 PM
This this is fucking amazing!      I use my PS3 for YouTube and netflixing.  It's ok. But would be nice to have a browser too.   Goddamnit man!!  Thanks!!

The nexus player is a great way to browse on a TV.

VegasI15

Quote from: MV on July 17, 2015, 11:41:39 AM

any bluetooth controller will do.  i went ahead and bought the asus manufactured game controller that came with it, but i've not been very happy with the situation there because of the latency i'm getting.  it really screws up the gameplay on my SNES emulator.  i don't know if it's the nexus player, the emulator, or the wireless controller.  someone earlier in this thread told me to try a wired controller and that might eliminate the latency, but i haven't gotten around to it.

i will concede, i finally cracked.  last night i connected a full blown PC to my 65 inch vizio.  the nexus player is great for 99% of the stuff i do, but there's that remaining 1% that it really sucks at.  specifically, i'm talking about audio production.  getting podcasts ready and posted for download is EXCRUCIATING in android.  i kept pushing and pushing to make the nexus player/android into a PC, and for months it did the job for the most part, but there were just those few issues that are now fixed by ending my resistance and just connecting a goddamn pc to the tv.  now i can do everything i need/want to do, and it looks amazing on that screen.  btw... i can use the asus gamepad with the pc as soon as i connect a usb bluetooth dongle, so i'm going to try that and hopefully the latency issue will be resolved.

It's amazing what tablets and mobile devices can do.  No doubt it has changed the way a lot of us go about our daily lives.  However,  you just pointed out a couple of the many many reasons why mobile devices aren't going to replace real "full blown" PC's anytime soon.  And you also just pointed out why android devices aren't "full blown" PC's, even with all the cool and neat stuff they do.  Pc's and mobile devices have pros and cons.  And each has it's advantages and strong points.  In my mind it's an ecosystem where each can co-exist peacefully.   

cweb

Bumping this.

With all the craze about people buying Fire sticks and putting Kodi (formerly XBMC) on them, I was tempted to see if this would work on my Nexus player.

And it does. Watching some hockey streams right now. You do NOT need root to install Kodi (because it's just an app) or any of its special "addons" that let you view streams. The only catch, as you might know by now, is that you need to flash full Android on this baby.

Just throwing this out there as an interesting alternative to the Fire stick if all you're gonna do is watch streams. Too bad it's discontinued, but eBay's got quite a few.

LOL - It must be video game day, today.
Drone, I bumped your old thread too. ;)