• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Reading Minds: The CoastGab Book Club

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, October 23, 2008, 12:06:30 AM

WOTR

In the Mind Fields by Casey Schwartz.

Sometimes there is a reason for a book to be "marked down." Sometimes it did not sell all that well, sometimes it is aging on the shelves unsold. For me, neither is usually a concern as what interests me is usually not what interests most readers (I don't know if I have ever read something on the NYT's best seller list.) This was a book sitting in such a bin at the local store.

I am going to give this 1.5 stars out of 5, and use this rambling review to see if I can sort out the reasons. 

The book had promise- and it made promises. Casey was one of the first to go through a program where she was trained in neuroscience one year and psychoanalysis the next. Who better to write a book showing the advantages and pitfalls of each discipline? Who better to attempt to meld them, to judge them, to show the casual reader the advantages of each?

I will say that she did spend a little time showing some of the pitfalls of studies done and methods used in modern research into the brain. There were a few early chapters where it appeared that the book might fulfill it's ambitious stated goals.  But it quickly became apparent that there was not to be a narrative which would tie the thoughts or chapters together.

She spends chapters on Mark Solms, as she was apparently given access to his notes. Yet all that we learn from her is that Mark lives on a large estate, owns a vineyard, had a brother who was brain damaged early in life, was put in charge of a hospital ward before he felt he was ready, and that he hosts conferences. There is very little (if anything) about his work or the results of his studies. She makes mention that Mark wanted to analyze the dreams of Henry Moller. Just as quickly as it is mentioned, it is forgotten. In my estimation, Henry may have had a longer attention span to dedicate to developing thoughts than Casey. (This may only make sense if you know who H.M. was...)

There is chapter after chapter chronicling the relationship between an analyst she knew and a stroke victim, Harry.  We are treated to some of the conversations that occurred- to Harry's frustration with his position in life.  But there is nothing at all to indicate that the analysis did any good- that there was even a tiny improvement in his life. There is nothing at all to suggest that a neuroscientist could help- and even after years of therapy, nothing to suggest that a psychologist could offer anything of substance.

Her conclusion was that the analyst and Harry managed to form a human bond without words.  Yet Harry did use words- they were just limited. There was nothing remarkable that one could discern in the relationship between the two men, and nothing to be learned.

In the end, the book was an autobiography of Casey... Of somebody who has not contributed all that much to the field, and certainly not somebody who should have written a book.  If you were to add up the number of times the word "I" is used, it would be in the tens of thousands. To keep this review on topic for the board- she reminds me a little of a certain "Dave Noorie". There is lots of name dropping, and very little substance.

In short, this has to be one of the more disappointing books that I have read in a long while.  The promise was there- but nothing was delivered. After my review, I am downgrading it to one star- and I am feeling that is more than generous for an autobiography of somebody who is completely unknown to the word, and who does not appear to have accomplished very much.

AZZERAE

I sometimes wonder if anyone still reads books.

I just got done reading 'Hunger' by Knut Hamsun. It was a great book! Really depressing at times, moving overall. Highly recommended.

Jojo

I read a client's pop psychology book last week.  If the ergonomics /lighting are alright, I don't mind reading decent size fonts.  But I have little patience for tight spines or library fines.

albrecht

Quote from: WOTR on January 07, 2019, 05:43:26 AM
In the Mind Fields by Casey Schwartz.

Sometimes there is a reason for a book to be "marked down." Sometimes it did not sell all that well, sometimes it is aging on the shelves unsold. For me, neither is usually a concern as what interests me is usually not what interests most readers (I don't know if I have ever read something on the NYT's best seller list.) This was a book sitting in such a bin at the local store.

I am going to give this 1.5 stars out of 5, and use this rambling review to see if I can sort out the reasons. 

The book had promise- and it made promises. Casey was one of the first to go through a program where she was trained in neuroscience one year and psychoanalysis the next. Who better to write a book showing the advantages and pitfalls of each discipline? Who better to attempt to meld them, to judge them, to show the casual reader the advantages of each?

I will say that she did spend a little time showing some of the pitfalls of studies done and methods used in modern research into the brain. There were a few early chapters where it appeared that the book might fulfill it's ambitious stated goals.  But it quickly became apparent that there was not to be a narrative which would tie the thoughts or chapters together.

She spends chapters on Mark Solms, as she was apparently given access to his notes. Yet all that we learn from her is that Mark lives on a large estate, owns a vineyard, had a brother who was brain damaged early in life, was put in charge of a hospital ward before he felt he was ready, and that he hosts conferences. There is very little (if anything) about his work or the results of his studies. She makes mention that Mark wanted to analyze the dreams of Henry Moller. Just as quickly as it is mentioned, it is forgotten. In my estimation, Henry may have had a longer attention span to dedicate to developing thoughts than Casey. (This may only make sense if you know who H.M. was...)

There is chapter after chapter chronicling the relationship between an analyst she knew and a stroke victim, Harry.  We are treated to some of the conversations that occurred- to Harry's frustration with his position in life.  But there is nothing at all to indicate that the analysis did any good- that there was even a tiny improvement in his life. There is nothing at all to suggest that a neuroscientist could help- and even after years of therapy, nothing to suggest that a psychologist could offer anything of substance.

Her conclusion was that the analyst and Harry managed to form a human bond without words.  Yet Harry did use words- they were just limited. There was nothing remarkable that one could discern in the relationship between the two men, and nothing to be learned.

In the end, the book was an autobiography of Casey... Of somebody who has not contributed all that much to the field, and certainly not somebody who should have written a book.  If you were to add up the number of times the word "I" is used, it would be in the tens of thousands. To keep this review on topic for the board- she reminds me a little of a certain "Dave Noorie". There is lots of name dropping, and very little substance.

In short, this has to be one of the more disappointing books that I have read in a long while.  The promise was there- but nothing was delivered. After my review, I am downgrading it to one star- and I am feeling that is more than generous for an autobiography of somebody who is completely unknown to the word, and who does not appear to have accomplished very much.
Lately I've been trying to rid myself of the sort of literary version of the sunk cost fallacy and just quit, even early in, if I don't like it, it doesn't hook me, it is not well written, or (if non-fiction) it is not properly footnoted or referenced, or is not interesting.

whoozit

When I was younger Mrs. whoozit worked in a bookstore.  I was a voracious reader and her boss sent her home with books that were destroyed.  I came to learn that there is a reason books have their covers torn off.  They were rarely worth reading.

albrecht

Quote from: AZZERAE on June 09, 2019, 01:12:03 PM
I sometimes wonder if anyone still reads books.

I just got done reading 'Hunger' by Knut Hamsun. It was a great book! Really depressing at times, moving overall. Highly recommended.
He won the Nobel Prize for "Growth of the Soil" which was back when Nobel Prizes were actually recognizing big achievements or good works.  ;) Realistic novel but, as you say, peasant life can be depressing and brutal. But stoic, hardworking, and good for the romanticist of rural and traditional life. And fairly realistic considering the numbers of emigrants who came from those areas to the USA from those conditions. Norway was a tough place for agriculture and before the energy boom was a poor country with some bad conditions.

albrecht

Quote from: whoozit on June 11, 2019, 06:28:21 PM
When I was younger Mrs. whoozit worked in a bookstore.  I was a voracious reader and her boss sent her home with books that were destroyed.  I came to learn that there is a reason books have their covers torn off.  They were rarely worth reading.
I seem to recall statements inside of books. Something like "if you bought this book without a cover than it was destroyed or unsold and the author or publisher may not have been paid." Or something....

whoozit

Quote from: albrecht on June 11, 2019, 06:32:23 PM
I seem to recall statements inside of books. Something like "if you bought this book without a cover than it was destroyed or unsold and the author or publisher may not have been paid." Or something....
The store owner reported it destroyed and returned the cover to get money back on unsold stock.  I didn’t buy it, he didn’t sell it.  At worst we’ll both be darned to heck for 30 seconds.  I wish I could charge some of those authors for the time I wasted plowing through a chapter or two.  I think I finished two books out of several grocery bags full I received.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: whoozit on June 11, 2019, 06:35:23 PM
The store owner reported it destroyed and returned the cover to get money back on unsold stock.  I didn’t buy it, he didn’t sell it.  At worst we’ll both be darned to heck for 30 seconds.  I wish I could charge some of those authors for the time I wasted plowing through a chapter or two.  I think I finished two books out of several grocery bags full I received.

They used to do something similar to record albums back in the day, they'd cut off a corner of the album and report it as destroyed.  You'd find lots of albums with covers so cut for sale at used record stores, when such places existed.

WOTR

Quote from: albrecht on June 11, 2019, 06:25:11 PM
Lately I've been trying to rid myself of the sort of literary version of the sunk cost fallacy and just quit, even early in, if I don't like it, it doesn't hook me, it is not well written, or (if non-fiction) it is not properly footnoted or referenced, or is not interesting.
I'll bite... How does this work? I have always figured that I need to finish reading the damn book just in case there are some gems... Just in case I am mistaken about how bad it really is (though I will confess that I usually don't find many in poorly written books.) How do you not feel that you might be missing out on something worthwhile?

Maybe I just need to bite the bullet and refuse to read one of my "heatsink" books (I borrowed this term from another crappy book that took me 6 months to plow through- "how to be good." No, I won't review it here.)

Maybe I will look at the stack of unread books and see if I have any that I have started and dread picking up again (the bad ones get returned to that stack over and over and I read another few chapters each time between actual unread books.) Maybe one of those "community libraries" would be the right place for it?

AZZERAE

Quote from: albrecht on June 11, 2019, 06:29:04 PM
He won the Nobel Prize for "Growth of the Soil" which was back when Nobel Prizes were actually recognizing big achievements or good works. Realistic novel but, as you say, peasant life can be depressing and brutal. But stoic, hardworking, and good for the romanticist of rural and traditional life. And fairly realistic considering the numbers of emigrants who came from those areas to the USA from those conditions. Norway was a tough place for agriculture and before the energy boom was a poor country with some bad conditions.

Indeed! I couldn't put the book down.

AZZERAE

Another book by Hamsun I'm reading is 'Look Back On Happiness'. Gorgeous descriptions of the Norwegian wilderness, and still moments with the main character, living his sedate, undisturbed life. Till a visitor arrives, and till there are other people introduced to the story. That's where I became disinterested.

AZZERAE

Quote from: whoozit on June 11, 2019, 06:35:23 PMI think I finished two books out of several grocery bags full I received.

Any Calvin & Hobbes? 😉

Stellar

Quote from: AZZERAE on June 19, 2019, 11:47:20 PM
Any Calvin & Hobbes? 😉

Try reading Les Misérables and not the Spark notes.

AZZERAE

Quote from: Stellar on June 19, 2019, 11:55:09 PM
Try reading Les Misérables and not the Spark notes.

Have read.

Initializing reread...

albrecht

Quote from: WOTR on June 16, 2019, 01:16:19 AM
I'll bite... How does this work? I have always figured that I need to finish reading the damn book just in case there are some gems... Just in case I am mistaken about how bad it really is (though I will confess that I usually don't find many in poorly written books.) How do you not feel that you might be missing out on something worthwhile?

Maybe I just need to bite the bullet and refuse to read one of my "heatsink" books (I borrowed this term from another crappy book that took me 6 months to plow through- "how to be good." No, I won't review it here.)

Maybe I will look at the stack of unread books and see if I have any that I have started and dread picking up again (the bad ones get returned to that stack over and over and I read another few chapters each time between actual unread books.) Maybe one of those "community libraries" would be the right place for it?
There is no system theory, yet, just a simple heuristic based on material, my mood & motivation, and writing style or subject. I used to be like you and considered "well I started so I should finish" but then thought about it the time-wasting. If you are reading to waste time, or simply to be entertained, than read something that you enjoy.  If you are reading for professional or knowledge than why waste that time with a book that appears to be incorrect, not edited properly, not footnoted and reference, etc? I also tend to read or listen, rather than tv or movies, so read fast- which is fine when killing time on a flight with a novel etc but I purposely reread or slow down (sometimes even read upside down -book not me- if I'm reading for knowledge, a class, etc) to retain the information. I call the former my "tv book" mode of reading where it simply is for entertainment and you don't need to retain any information.

SONGS OF INNOCENCE by Richard Aleas

&

FALL or, DODGE IN HELL by Neal Stephenson

albrecht

Quote from: Camazotz on July 12, 2020, 09:42:13 PM
02) NINE STORIES by J.D. Salinger

I still am not sure it is real. And translations always are problematic. But "The Book of Disquiet" is a must read. Even more if you've been to Portugal. But even if not. A very odd thing. Points of view. Way it was arranged. Tag markers often for rereading and pondering. Read slowly, on this one. And put away and go back to it.

"Book of Disquiet" Fernando Pessoa

Quote from: albrecht on July 12, 2020, 10:22:19 PM

I still am not sure it is real. And translations always are problematic. But "The Book of Disquiet" is a must read. Even more if you've been to Portugal. But even if not. A very odd thing. Points of view. Way it was arranged. Tag markers often for rereading and pondering. Read slowly, on this one. And put away and go back to it.

"Book of Disquiet" Fernando Pessoa

Intriguing.

Jackstar

Quote from: Camazotz on July 13, 2020, 03:53:39 AM
Intriguing.

It sounds like one of those books that absorbs one's soul, like Twilight. Check into that and get back to us, would you please?

Quote from: Camazotz on July 12, 2020, 09:42:13 PM
02) NINE STORIES by J.D. Salinger

I've been thinking about this and little else for days. It's probably just a coincidence, although I have been hearing a lot lately about brand new reasons that I had never thought of before for a person to kill themselves.

Quote from: Jackrabbit on July 13, 2020, 04:08:16 AM
It sounds like one of those books that absorbs one's soul, like Twilight. Check into that and get back to us, would you please?

I've been thinking about this and little else for days. It's probably just a coincidence, although I have been hearing a lot lately about brand new reasons that I had never thought of before for a person to kill themselves.

Dear Banana Fish:

It's like watching you gnaw off your leg to escape a certain steel trap with which you are intimately familiar.

(You've got a mind like a ...)

Now, are YOU the cunting reason MV removed the personal message option? WTF is up with that? I can't send you private letters from White Chapel. Were you sending MV and others too many observations from Jack Caverns? No. It has to be something else. Something more  SUBSTANTIVE than pseudointellectual "flow of consciousness" random dart throwing on an obsolete message system. But WHAT? Some kind of BIG SHEOLGAB DRAMA I missed, I suppose.  Seriously. I want to know what happened. But without all the whiney bitch details that can cause such options to disappear.

Send me a PM.

Oh, wait.

Goddamn it.

I've not read Twilight, but I don't see it orbiting as majestically as the planet albrecht recommended. Of course, you KNOW this. You're just being an interrupting dick because of the aforementioned steel trap you can't escape. I get it. Mostly. But your father(?) certainly doesn't. In real life, I might last ten minutes around you before ripping that voice box out with my Kung Fu grip. You're a lucky, misunderstood son of a bitch in that aspect. Distance is your savior.

Back to the missing  PM option. Is it tied to a feud with Ellgab? I'm seriously asking you, so don't shirk your duty and avoid an answer like some faggot politician. Is ellgab still a thing?  Is ellgab the "nice" one and this is the "mean baby" site? Are you the self appointed king mean baby?

This might take ten gabcasts to provide  clarity, but I doubt MV has the stamina to deal with 4k refresh/rendering rates AND this.

Speaking of points mentioned on the Spec Sheet, I wonder if he recalls my advising him of his upcoming sense of time compression? Afterall, it seems like just last month when I told him that time was about to inexorably haul ass ....

But it has  been a few years. He may not remember.

Voice box. Ripped. Out. Contemplation of physical violence.

Dead mean baby.

Peace & unicorns.

P.S.

I was not even aware of this change from star into rabbit, for fuck's sake.

Jackstar

Quote from: Camazotz on July 13, 2020, 05:59:00 AM
Dear Banana Fish:

I'm touched, but Keeper Seymour is another entity entirely and doesn't respond to any incantations. How cool would that be, right? Anyway, hello my distant friend. *huggles*

It's like watching you gnaw off your leg to escape a certain steel trap with which you are intimately familiar.

... Escape? Who said anything about escape? I love it here!

(You've got a mind like a ...)

Sheep-killing dog.

Now, are YOU the cunting reason MV removed the personal message option? WTF is up with that?

Absolutely NOT. It vanished at some point without my notice, and I barely registered a blink when it did. Most of the times the private messages were of a very inflammatory nature, the kind of thing people were raised by polite society to keep out of common view. I was not raised by polite society. I was raised by Seattle. I had no desire to keep secrets from the glimmering public here, unlike most people who found themselves at the nadir this place has always been. With few exceptions, every message I ever sent would have not been out of place on the forum proper, and I never understood the whole "private comms should stay private" bullshit. Why? Echelon/PRISM know, why not anyone else?

I'm a big fan of open information sharing, and careful, astute readers of this site will likely know why. If in any doubt, please send a S.A.S.E. and enclose a $2 bill. ONLY two-dollar-bills. Company policy.

I can't send you private letters from White Chapel.

I don't really want any private letters. What do you want to say for me and the NSA to read, that can't be read by everyone? There's a thread: "Ask Jackstar Anything" so do. If you would like to ask me something without anyone else knowing, well... that's a challenge.

How about you just email me? That should work fine. Or call me! That should work fine! If not, that is a crying shame indeed. I'll see what I can do.

Were you sending MV and others too many observations from Jack Caverns? No. It has to be something else. Something more  SUBSTANTIVE than pseudointellectual "flow of consciousness" random dart throwing on an obsolete message system. But WHAT? Some kind of BIG SHEOLGAB DRAMA I missed, I suppose.  Seriously. I want to know what happened. But without all the whiney bitch details that can cause such options to disappear.

I actually heard something about DPS and StarrMtn getting into... something, and then Starr started drinking heavily, I guess, and then she started accusing MV of not being MV (Body Snatchers! Righteous), and then there was a bunch of whining, and then the messages were gone. There wasn't anything I thought I would ever care about, and really isn't. I suppose others weren't so lucky after deciding to trust their innermost intimate secret details to the most wretched hive of scum and villainy on the whole surface Web. This place is a cesspool. That's not why I'm here, but that's why I don't have to behave very well if I feel like there's a reason to bust out a switch.

So. Definitely not me. I would like my messages back, though! But not really, mostly indifferent. How much street cred can a man really use at any given time? Well, it's a lot less for me. I am wholly indifferent to most expressions of rivalry.

Send me a PM. Oh, wait. Goddamn it. I've not read Twilight,

I'm unclear on what the problem is with email. What are you, on the lam? wtf mang. It's 2020, figure it out.

Quotebut I don't see it orbiting as majestically as the planet albrecht recommended. Of course, you KNOW this. You're just being an interrupting dick because of the aforementioned steel trap you can't escape. I get it. Mostly. But your father(?) certainly doesn't. In real life, I might last ten minutes around you before ripping that voice box out with my Kung Fu grip. You're a lucky, misunderstood son of a bitch in that aspect. Distance is your savior.

I specifically meant for you to check into the other one. Twilight is hot garbage. Vampires are not cool. Becoming a parasite of decay on Life is not cool. Reading books about star-crossed lovers is not cool. Look, are we clear here? If I thought I had to explain this kind of thing, I wouldn't have even mentioned it.

Back to the missing  PM option. Is it tied to a feud with Ellgab? I'm seriously asking you, so don't shirk your duty and avoid an answer like some faggot politician. Is ellgab still a thing?  Is ellgab the "nice" one and this is the "mean baby" site? Are you the self appointed king mean baby?

Jesus. People call me obsessed. Okay, here goes. No, I have no direct involvement with the PMs vanishing, I honestly was not up to any shenanigans and I was almost 100% indifferent when they vanished. I'm seriously telling you. I know that DPS was sending truly loathsome and vile messages to my inbox in hopes of getting a rise out of me, and failed miserably, however that is what DPS had been doing since literally forever, so I didn't know (or care) to what extent the rumours I encountered had any value or merit. Since I've known all my shiz has been 100% blown wide open for something going on 30 years now, why even bother to have anything "private" beyond being hard to find and parse? EllGab, last I heard, and last I checked, is revolting and fetid. I have rarely been back there after choosing to leave ("I hate it here") quite deliberately after completing my initial assessment. Two weeks of attempted use and I was ready to down the hemlock. I had no idea the original would come back, and when it did, I was super surprised to suddenly feel in my mind a small, still non-voice saying, "Hey, this Kavanaugh thing is exactly what you would go to BG for, check it out" and there it was, in full glory. So it was really by happenstance and coincidence that I came back around along with brig/Lilith at the right time, at the right place, in the right era, with the right textbooks, and with absolutely no shame. I am not self-appointed--I am self-evident. None who dare to delve may escape the notice of my mighty glory and awesome majesty, as evidenced here for some time now. Many have tried to silence me--as yet, all have failed. This likely has more to do with my ability to self-regulate than their rank cowardice. It's hard to pin me down has being genuinely unfunny and harassing now. And with the disastrous dip in viewship, what was once "spam" is now "valued exclusive content." Suck it down, Fuckos--this is the only place to get hot fresh Jackstar delivered to your plate... for now.

So, I got that going for me. I still don't know who "runs" EllGab, nor why, and the identity of "BartEll" is of mild curiousity to me, but nothing past that. I am not nor have I ever been a member of the broadcast industry. I have no idea who the real movers and shakers behind the names are, nor am I fascinated or even interested to know. This is likely why Mr. Ell doesn't care for me very much, because I don't care for s/he/it at all. I know how this feels, it's a cold blow. It looks to me like Bart is not used to that kind of thing. I don't care, and the EllGab crowd seems to consist of people who love BellGab, but don't want profanity and violent jokes. I can respect that. They can fuck off and go kill themselves, I'm not going to put up a fuss.

I don't take pleasure in such things, but really if a person can't handle "fuck off and die," I really don't think they have much business being on My Internet. Anyway, at one point some few scant weeks ago, something happened that made me think "I should see what EllGab is doing for the first time since I told them to pound screws," so I went and look, and I was horrified. What squalor. What a waste of time. That was gonna replace this? Well, I suppose it would have, but without me... there is no me. And, what was this place before me, eh? Only Oswald, all the time? Boxcutters uber alles? Fluoride, mostly harmless? Oh please.

Other companion sites, really, the less said, the better. One word, just one word: embarrassing. No zazz, no spunk, not even any mustard. What has the world come to? Oh, right, a gun to the head of every creative talent, everywhere across the globe. Gee, great, that really helps someone with show prep. These thugs just don't understand, without freedom to express, the expression of freedom becomes rote and stale. No one pays for this.

I bet they pay for those PMs, though. I wouldn't know, but I bet some people have said some delightful things to each other here. I'll pay ten bucks for onan's. Maybe there's a forwarding address? He needs more flowers.

This might take ten gabcasts to provide  clarity, but I doubt MV has the stamina to deal with 4k refresh/rendering rates AND this.

He gets real tired these days. One juice box, one sippy cup, and he's out like a light. I blame the worm consumption. I'm also largely indifferent, as I know what life is like, sometimes you're on, sometimes you're off, and sometimes you're activated from LEO and it's time to warm up the mass drivers. Shrug. I pretty much, mostly do as I'm told. Mostly. What is there to deal with? I'll be honest, I'm not reading a lot of the site now that people have revealed their true natures under COVID. Wow, look at all the toadies acting like it's real! LOL, okay sure, you're gonna need lots of lube for that one.

Speaking of points mentioned on the Spec Sheet, I wonder if he recalls my advising him of his upcoming sense of time compression? Afterall, it seems like just last month when I told him that time was about to inexorably haul ass .... But it has  been a few years. He may not remember.

I'm going to caution you on your inappropriate and invalid use of ellipsis. Show some respect for yourself, Mang. Anyway, it's less than four months to the election and things are getting really exciting for me! With my entire family already dead, I not only do not need to be concerned with scoring toilet paper on the regular, I also don't have to worry that my understanding of SARS-CoV2 is incomplete. And at this point, it sure doesn't seem to be. How is anyone falling for this shit at all? Oh, fluoride, right. Groan.

And the spectre of poverty, haunting us all. Except me, because I have always lived in poverty, in spite of what my paper trail looks like from orbit. This year has been quite relaxing. Will I get more Trumpbux? I sure hope so, I'd like to get some quality Absinthe imported from Val De Travers. I mean, the good shit. I really wanna stimulate the economy, you dig? Meanwhile, I've got lots of dry goods and not a whole lot of will to strain the hernia in my diaphragm. Jesus, take me home now, or take my hunger there first.

Looks like with half the year gone, I made it through without being Raptured. This pleases the narrator. I've had one of the more pleasant years of my life, and that's not because of the screams of the damned and the lamentations of their organ-grinders at all. Wait. What am I even talking about? This makes no sense. What are you even asking? I'm going to need a Miltown.

Voice box. Ripped. Out. Contemplation of physical violence. Dead mean baby. Peace & unicorns.

This doesn't look like anything to me. My lizard lays dead at your feet, O Great Deity--what more must I do? You can't expect me to be swayed by petty threats at this point. I have become Got-damn legend. (It does tickle a bit.)

P.S. I was not even aware of this change from star into rabbit, for fuck's sake.

Mind blower: I actually started as Jackrabbit. I went through a phase a few months ago, and I don't recall why, but I ripped through a few handles because everyone else was doing it. When MV gave up on answering requests, I was satisfied with being left with this... because this actually works with my branding effort hand-in-hand, as now I can use Twitter again. Although I don't know why anyone would, it's foul and loathsome as well. I suppose there are some perks, but I'd rather talk to the crows.

Nevertheless, I clearly remain quite brilliant, recent examples notwithstanding. Another name I've used in the past is "Bartholomew Barnstormer" which I think is just as appropriate to describe my recent publications as "Jackstar Suprnovae," although perhaps I bit more fruity than is strictly necessary. I suppose this might amuse Bart Ell, but I rather doubt it. Also, he's kind of retarded, all the time--it's hard to imagine it's really just an act of performance art. Then again, amazing things are possible, if only a person can get out of their own mind's way for just a few minutes--and get into someone else's.

Thanks for the inspiration! In conclusion, I must admit: I have not read any books. At all. I've been put on suspension and am now halfway through Jitterbug Perfume and am banned from either finishing it or picking anything else up. Call it a bad bar bet, which sounds like a good name for a bluegrass trio. Someone make that happen? Thanks in advance.

albrecht

Quote from: Camazotz on July 13, 2020, 03:53:39 AM
Intriguing.
Pessoa also had correspondence with Crowley and Crowley visited and helped him fake his suicide at the "Mouth of Hell" (interesting rock formation on the coast outside of Lisbon near resort town of Cascais.) He also translated people like Blavatsky etc into Portuguese and was into all kinds of esoterica, secret societies, and such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fernando_Pessoa

http://www.hellothemushroom.com/2015/07/24/travel-boca-do-inferno-fernando-pessoa-and-aleister-crowley/

https://www.brown.edu/Departments/Portuguese_Brazilian_Studies/ejph/pessoaplural/Issue1/PDF/I1A08.pdf

You can find cheaper copies.  ;)

https://www.alibris.com/search/books/isbn/9780713995275?invid=15205368628

Hello,

My name is Camazotz Automat and I'm an ellipsisholic.

"Hi, Cam "
"Hello, Cam."
"Fuck off, Cambalina."

Wow. I wanted an answer but Jackrabbi gave me a lengthy dissertation.

I can dig it.

Color me impressed. Very.

Besides, I ASKED for it.

So now I am pretty much caught up on the mysterious hellgab.

It was imperative I get all that straightened out and the table cleared before the next Spec Sheet comes roaring down the pike in 2022.

However, I believe I FAILED in my attempt to evoke a violent voice box removal image. I'm certain of it.

Oh, sure, I gave a significant hint when referencing G I JOE'S Kung fu grip, but I  should have at LEAST mentioned the pull string that activates the voice box of any chest-speakered Adventure Team leader.

Yes. I got so excited in my Holden Caulfield frenzied response that it almost seemed like I was describing the removal of bloody vocal cords instead of  deconstructing a vintage toy.

I apologize for the horrific imagery.

I understand your desire for complete transparency in bellgab missives.

However, some of the steamy exchanges between LoneVoice and myself were not acceptable for public bellgab consumption.

(pause)

That's a lie. I don't even know why I said that. The truth is that our private exchanges contained messages of mutual respect and so many mystical puns that it would make a Jitterbug author jealous.

That's another lie.

I guess I just got used to the method, then wondered WHAT COULD HAVE HAPPENED to make MV say "fuck it."

I think he should remove all avatars for a month and see if someone puts a contract out on him.

"You can't take away my avatar! That's part of my identity, man. Why the HELL are you destroying my freedom of speech, man?"

As you were.

Quote from: albrecht on July 13, 2020, 04:02:07 PM
Pessoa also had correspondence with Crowley and Crowley visited and helped him fake his suicide at the "Mouth of Hell" (interesting rock formation on the coast outside of Lisbon near resort town of Cascais.) He also translated people like Blavatsky etc into Portuguese and was into all kinds of esoterica, secret societies, and such.
Now you've gone and done it. Now I HAVE to check it out.

Oh, I was planning to do so. At my leisure.

But this digital serpent albrecht has essentially  removed any exercise of freewill.

And Cam saw the fruit juice box was good.

And he pierced the plastic coated foil lining with a barbed straw.

And he did drink.

albrecht

Quote from: Camazotz on July 13, 2020, 09:34:06 PM
Now you've gone and done it. Now I HAVE to check it out.

Oh, I was planning to do so. At my leisure.

But this digital serpent albrecht has essentially  removed any exercise of freewill.

And Cam saw the fruit juice box was good.

And he pierced the plastic coated foil lining with a barbed straw.

And he did drink.

Ha. I'm no serpent! I'm on the good side. I hope. Saying that several folks on BG might like. Pessoa wrote in many different personas/identities. Preview of online world. Or Legiion? Both? As an aside, they used to talk about some computer in Belgium but the internet, web, maybe is? You still have freewill. That does not mean things are not predestined, necessarily.

Good hunting! I find it is work best read slowly and stopping to ponder. The game is wily. Not a flight read, though tempted at times to leave a copy in a seat pocket. After I get a free drink and draw sharkfins on the safety card about "in the event of a water landing."