• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Is it me or does George remind you of Jay Leno?

Started by 2014, February 07, 2014, 11:01:07 PM

HorrorRetro

Quote from: Paper*Boy on February 15, 2014, 09:47:41 PM

I never thought of George as being a 'nice guy'.  Listening to his show, that just never occurred to me.

I remember being surprised the first few times I saw some one post something along the lines of 'George sucks but he's a nice guy'.   So I listened for it and thought:  that fools people?, don't they realize it's part of his shtick and he's not even very good at it?

I agree.  He's so transparent. Nice guys don't constantly announce their supposed good deeds -- they do them in private. They don't bribe people on message boards with cash and then turn around and embarrass them by telling everyone when they don't do as he wanted.

Not really Jay Leno, they have similar sociopathic qualities and are both soulless but Leno actually had some degree of talent in his life. I'm telling you if Noory reminds me of anyone, it's Hank Kingsley.

DocHolliday

Quote from: FightTheFuture on February 07, 2014, 11:35:50 PM
Wait, how did Leno screw over anybody? If anything, it was Leno that got screwed. And another thing, from all I have heard and read, Leno is one of the most down to earth, kind people in the entire industry.

I actually got to see a recording of his show when I was in Burbank once.  Probably one of the cooler things I've been able to see.  Prior to the actual show starting, Jay came out in his denim shirt and jeans before he got all dolled up for the recording.  He spent probably thirty minutes bullshitting with the crowd and taking pictures with people who wanted to grab a picture with him.  He was beyond nice and it was a really, really cool thing to see.

The whole Conan situation left a bad taste in my mouth with Leno but I can see what you mean. There's a likeness there, if even slightly, that I can see. I'd have to say the ability to fill time talking without really saying anything when you have a guest people might actually want a real interview from is where I see it. George could have on someone we'd love to get into it with in an interview and really put out something productive for both the guest and audience but the majority of the time it's the idle bs chit-chat routine while avoiding anything of real sustenance. This is how I view the majority of late night television host. Every now and then they'll have a guest on with a juicy controversy or something a bit deeper than what skin flick they've just finished shooting and the whole show will remain this light exchange of bs. It's always been that way, especially on television. The host is more of a platform for advertising and pr control, even in the "news". I expect a little more out of talk radio but those days have passed and it seems the majority of host are only interested in these quaint and safe Leno-esq encounters.

Concerning the keyboard warriors and grammar nazi encounters I keep coming across I'd just like to leave you with this. When my Nephew comes over he loves to jump online. He's a bit young and I'm obviously a little worried what he'll come across online and what his own response might be. I remind him almost every time he opens the browsers that there's already enough mean spirited and aggravating people online. Why add to it? Life is short so let the little stuff go.

RedMichael

Quote from: GuerrillaUnReal on February 16, 2014, 05:49:56 PM
Not really Jay Leno, they have similar sociopathic qualities and are both soulless but Leno actually had some degree of talent in his life. I'm telling you if Noory reminds me of anyone, it's Hank Kingsley.

People said Leno used to be funny. I have searched youtube for ANYTHING...ANYTHING to even find remotely funny and I can't. He was a business man who did comedy. His jokes were so watered down and then when he got the Tonight Show he managed to water them down more.

Funny note, Letterman once noted how it was odd that any time Leno helps someone whose car broke down or what not, there happens to be a photographer with him. This was before taking pictures on cellphones. Its true.

I always wondered...putting a talk show before the Tonight Show was going to kill the ratings...and it did...BUT Leno's ratings were REALLY bad. Unexpectedly bad. Does anyone think Leno helped tank his show just to tank Conan's numbers even more?

Abby Normal

Quote from: FightTheFuture on February 07, 2014, 11:35:50 PM
Wait, how did Leno screw over anybody? If anything, it was Leno that got screwed. And another thing, from all I have heard and read, Leno is one of the most down to earth, kind people in the entire industry.

Agreed.  It's a well-known fact that Jay Leno had a habit of pulling over and assisting stranded motorists on the freeways of Southern California.  Can you imagine Letterman or any other Hollywood "celebrity" stopping to assist stranded motorists?  Also, Jay has been a fixture at the weekly gathering of "car guys" at Bob's Big Boy in Burbank.  After taping the Tonight Show, Jay would stop at the weekly gathering with one of his classic cars.  He would show the car to the other car guys and walk around and look at their cars and showing genuine interest in them.

Also, I never understood how he "screwed" Letterman or Conan O'Brien.  NBC made the decision to replace Carson with Leno, who had been serving as Carson's permanent Monday night host (Carson only worked four nights per week).  As for O'Brien, the whole fiasco was started by O'Brien, not Jay.  In 1994, O'Brien started whining that if he wasn't given the Tonight Show he would go to another network.  So the pinheads at NBC told him he could have Tonight in 5 years - even though Jay had kept Tonight number 1 in the ratings.  Why did O'Brien think he was entitled to boot Jay off the Tonight Show?  Just because he was younger?  Letterman, when he hosted "Late Night" never made that kind of ultimatum in order to get Carson booted out. Can you imagine what Carson's reaction would have been if Letterman had started giving NBC ultimatums about going to another network if NBC didn't boot Carson and give him the Tonight Show?  Carson ruled with an iron fist.  His "Carson Productions" produced both The Tonight Show starring Johnny Carson and Late Night with David Letterman.  Letterman would have been gone the next day.

Back to Leno and O'Brien.  Leno stepped aside in 2009 and O'Brien took over.  Tonight's ratings tanked.  NBC, suddenly anxious to keep Leno, offered him 10:00 pm, five days a week.  It didn't work.  So the geniuses at NBC decided to give Leno 30 minutes at 11:35 and move Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien to 12:05.  O'Brien wasn't fired.  He was insulted at the prospect of being moved to 12:05 and quit.  NBC gave him $45 million to go away (O'Brien got the lions share, some went to his staff).  Let's review.  Leno was happily number 1 at Tonight in 2004.  O'Brien decided he wanted Tonight and told NBC he'd leave if he didn't get it.  He got it in 2009.  He bombed.  Despite his bad ratings, NBC didn't fire him.  They wanted to push Tonight back to 12:05.  O'Brien quit and walked away with $45 million.

As for Letterman, he's doing fine.  As Jerry Seinfeld said, "A late night talk show is a great thing.  Who cares what they call it?"  Letterman has been making millions from his Late Show on CBS.   Leno has been faithfully married to his wife for decades.  Letterman cheated on his wife with numerous Late Show interns.

Jay Leno appears to be a nice guy because he is.

bsbishop

I thought both Jay and Dave were pretty funny back in the 1980s. Dave's show was unique because it was late night and there was no budget so he'd get the high school science teacher down the street to do some experiments to fill some time.

Dave also had a morning show in the early 1980s which was also funny.

When Jay and Dave both got their own (earlier) shows with budgets the humor suffered. It was freaking top 10 lists every night for Dave and just a parade of stars. No more weird/funny stuff with Chris Elliot or the science teacher. Just monologue + stars.

Jay's humor went from being funny, but clean, to being jokes you'd tell your grandmother. I don't know him, personally, but he seems like a likable enough guy. David, on the other hand, kind of comes off as a dick, now.