• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Facebook Sucks

Started by Marc.Knight, May 29, 2012, 06:19:28 PM

Up All Night

Wired Magazine's Nick Thompson speaks to CBS about his interview with Zuckerberg

Hot chick from Slate, April Glaser, is also here. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJq_NFmeTak

ItsOver

Quote from: albrecht on March 23, 2018, 06:38:16 PM
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-23/tesla-spacex-pages-vanish-as-musk-joins-deletefacebook-crusade
A bit of a pissing contest.  I have to admit I admire someone pushing the boundaries for space exploration.  Someone letting me post what I had for breakfast, eh, not so much.  Praise MV.

Up All Night

Zuckergerg's mea culpa, as published in Newspaper ads:

So, FB is now going to limit apps from "getting so much information." What is "so much information" and what isn't "so much information" ??

Of course, the amoral FB was the original creator of allowing outside apps to mine the data of you AND your Friends...

FB will only be as "moral" as the users force them to be. That's the Standard.

http://www.dhakatribune.com/world/europe/2018/03/25/facebook-apologises-data-scandal-uk-newspaper-ads/

Gd5150

Quote from: Up All Night on March 25, 2018, 04:28:40 PM
Zuckergerg's mea culpa, as published in Newspaper ads:

So, FB is now going to limit apps from "getting so much information." What is "so much information" and what isn't "so much information" ??

Of course, the amoral FB was the original creator of allowing outside apps to mine the data of you AND your Friends...

FB will only be as "moral" as the users force them to be. That's the Standard.

http://www.dhakatribune.com/world/europe/2018/03/25/facebook-apologises-data-scandal-uk-newspaper-ads/

Making billions off people by selling their information without their approval is great when DemoKKKRats are winning the White House. If faceplant Hilary had won it would be full steam ahead for the left and their internet fascists. In the end, all of this is fake news as usual.
As soon as they can the left will go back to fucking people over for the dollar, because that’s all they’re good at. The left is never upfront about it’s true intentions. Be it running for office, hijacking healthcare, running anti-social social media.

What amazes me is what personal information really exists on Facebook? Some photos of the salad you had for dinner? You LOL’d at a meme showing Hilary falling on her face? Whatever business buys that kind of info deserves to go bankrupt.

The services yahoo/Google/Facebook provide at no charge are fine. Yahoo has been worthless for almost 20 years. They have a nice free sports app. Their homepage is a laughable joke filled with political propaganda and advertisements disguised as news. Haven’t used that for at least 15 years. Free email, cool. Google same thing. Love that I can use them 100x a day grabbing photos to post for laughs. If they charged a penny I wouldn’t use it. If they tried to charge a fee they’d all disappear. All of this online crap is worthless trash with no value. It’s simple entertainment that is easily replaced. One of these days people will realize it.

Up All Night

Facebook scraped call, text message data for years from Android phones

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/03/facebook-scraped-call-text-message-data-for-years-from-android-phones/

If you granted permission to read contacts during Facebook's installation on Android a few versions agoâ€"specifically before Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean)â€"that permission also granted Facebook access to call and message logs by default. The permission structure was changed in the Android API in version 16. But Android applications could bypass this change if they were written to earlier versions of the API, so Facebook API could continue to gain access to call and SMS data by specifying an earlier Android SDK version. Google deprecated version 4.0 of the Android API in October 2017â€"the point at which the latest call metadata in Facebook users' data was found. Apple iOS has never allowed silent access to call data.

Gd5150

Quote from: Up All Night on March 26, 2018, 08:20:53 AM
Facebook scraped call, text message data for years from Android phones

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/03/facebook-scraped-call-text-message-data-for-years-from-android-phones/

If you granted permission to read contacts during Facebook's installation on Android a few versions agoâ€"specifically before Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean)â€"that permission also granted Facebook access to call and message logs by default. The permission structure was changed in the Android API in version 16. But Android applications could bypass this change if they were written to earlier versions of the API, so Facebook API could continue to gain access to call and SMS data by specifying an earlier Android SDK version. Google deprecated version 4.0 of the Android API in October 2017â€"the point at which the latest call metadata in Facebook users' data was found. Apple iOS has never allowed silent access to call data.

Anyone who trusts the internet to be secure is an idiot. What’s funny is how many demokkkrat leaders including the smartest woman in the world have been so stupid they let everything go public.

Has there ever been a better display of utter ignorance than the private email server, 30,000 emails leaked, Schumer giving up the demokkkrat party password in a phishing expedition that was clever enough to fool a child. Hilarious!

And still their lemmings beg for more. It’s priceless to watch.

ItsOver

Quote from: Gd5150 on March 26, 2018, 09:06:10 AM
Anyone who trusts the internet to be secure is an idiot. What’s funny is how many demokkkrat leaders including the smartest woman in the world have been so stupid they let everything go public.

Has there ever been a better display of utter ignorance than the private email server, 30,000 emails leaked, Schumer giving up the demokkkrat party password in a phishing expedition that was clever enough to fool a child. Hilarious!

And still their lemmings beg for more. It’s priceless to watch.
Yeah, we desperately need these power-craze morons to run our lives. 

"More government, please!"

Up All Night

And Google wants to become Hal.

Up All Night

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on April 09, 2018, 04:57:02 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHMWJ_iLGXk

You can't make this stuff up.... FB's own vanity address:

Zuck and his team spent Monday visiting Congressional offices... arranging bribes, sorry, "donations" and getting some advance questions before his Senate testimoney Tuesday at 315 CDT, and HR testimoney Wednesday at 11am CDT.

How To Watch: https://www.wired.com/story/how-to-watch-mark-zuckerberg-testify-before-congress/

Up All Night

Facebook revealed the separate reverse-lookup data spill while responding to the Cambridge Analytica controversy.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/facebook-knew-people-were-stealing-your-phone-number-in-2013

The issue was that Facebook allowed users to find anyone on the site by entering either their phone number or email address. In 2010, computer science researchers in Greece showed how spammers could use that feature to validate address lists and “craft personalized phishing emails that are far more efficient than traditional techniques by using personal information publicly available in social networks” (PDF).

But Zuckerberg’s written testimony reveals for the first time that it was phone number lookups that were used in the large scale scraping. That’s a more potent weapon for bulk harvesting, because a data miner can programatically cycle through every possible phone number to get a complete corpus. With some exceptionsâ€"custom privacy settings or accounts with no phone number attachedâ€"sequential mining would yield every Facebook profile.

Though Facebook is professing surprise at the data spill, in 2013 security researcher Bennett Haselton warned Facebook publicly and privately of this exact scenario.
“You could use this technique to build up a database of phone numbers and associated accounts without targeting any specific phone number or account,” Haselton wrote in a prescient post to the technology website Slashdot. “Not only would you know the names associated with each of the numbers, you could associate the phone number with anything else that was discoverable from the person’s Facebook profileâ€"which usually includes their location, their interests, and the names of their other friends.

“It would only have to be done once to put the users’ data permanently in the hands of the attackers, with Facebook unable to put the cat back into the bag,” he added.
Facebook’s primary countermeasure against bulk profile harvesting was rate-limiting, i.e., blocking rapid-fire search queries originating from the same Internet Protocol, or IP, address. The unidentified perpetrators bypassed that protection by cycling “through many thousands, or hundreds of thousands, of IP addresses to evade rate limiting,” Zuckerberg said last week.

In an interview with The Daily Beast, Haselton said Facebook never responded to his reports. He says removing the reverse-lookup search was the right move, even if it came five years late. “This is not functionality they had to leave in.”
Facebook removed the email and phone search capabilities entirely last Wednesday. “Given the scale and sophistication of the activity we’ve seen, we believe most people on Facebook could have had their public profile scraped in this way,” wrote Facebook chief technology officer Mike Schroepfer in a blog post.

--------------------------------------------------------

I never gave FB my phone number, no matter how many times they suggested it for whatever reasons...

The e-mail address I use with FB is a unique one, that has no identifiers back to me.