• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Rollye James

Started by 999, September 09, 2011, 12:31:35 PM

Quote from: ponyboysunset on December 30, 2015, 10:50:56 AM
Well if I don't find the coastgab stream and this forum I never find Rollye. So I'm thankful for this place daily. You're welcome. She's on NYE and NYD this week.  ;D

Wish she would go full time. I liked her on coast of memory serves me right.

ponyboysunset

Quote from: nooryisawesome on December 30, 2015, 11:34:29 AM
Wish she would go full time. I liked her on coast of memory serves me right.
Lots of archives from the last year. She isn't going to anytime soon due to her running two radio stations with her husband. She is live 9PM EST on 12-31-15 and 1-16-15. You can listen here: www.rollye.net.

Rolleye is killing it tonight - talking about Honey radio in Detroit and playing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NF5XU-k2Vk

ponyboysunset

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on April 08, 2016, 08:57:21 PM
Rolleye is killing it tonight - talking about Honey radio in Detroit and playing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NF5XU-k2Vk
That was all me suggesting that. HEH. That was a fun call. You should call sometime if you haven't already.

The General

Quote from: ponyboysunset on December 30, 2015, 12:05:07 PM
Lots of archives from the last year. She isn't going to anytime soon due to her running two radio stations with her husband. She is live 9PM EST on 12-31-15 and 1-16-15. You can listen here: www.rollye.net.

I love Rollye.

Sometimes her callers though, man... I don't know, it gets a little long winded with people calling and telling Rollye about their life story.  She lets them go and go and go.  That's just me, it's a bit much.  But I absolutely love her and listening to her talk about history, trivia, politics, current events, the radio business... she is one of the smartest people I've ever heard on the radio.

Pony, I know she's running two radio stations, is there any way to listen live to those stations online when she's on?  I'd like to listen.  I don't know what stations they are or if she's just spinning records or doing talk or what but I'd like to learn more about it.  I looked at her site and I didn't see anything about the stations.

Quote from: ponyboysunset on April 08, 2016, 09:15:35 PM
That was all me suggesting that. HEH. That was a fun call. You should call sometime if you haven't already.

Cool.  May have to do that.

I had forgotten about Honey Radio.  Used to listen to Honey quite a bit back in the day - that along with WABX.
You'll have to drop the Electrifying Mojo on her sometime if you haven't already.

ponyboysunset

Quote from: The General on April 08, 2016, 09:22:45 PM
I love Rollye.

Sometimes her callers though, man... I don't know, it gets a little long winded with people calling and telling Rollye about their life story.  She lets them go and go and go.  That's just me, it's a bit much.  But I absolutely love her and listening to her talk about history, trivia, politics, current events, the radio business... she is one of the smartest people I've ever heard on the radio.

Pony, I know she's running two radio stations, is there any way to listen live to those stations online when she's on?  I'd like to listen.  I don't know what stations they are or if she's just spinning records or doing talk or what but I'd like to learn more about it.  I looked at her site and I didn't see anything about the stations.
http://jukebox1240.com/
http://gila1019.com/

Ok here is the deal. She does the afternoon news on KQSS which is all country. The AM is her baby, and eventually will be none of the hits none of the time primarily focusing on her love of R&B records. Right now she has started dumping some new records in but a lot of them she still hates. The country station makes money. The AM is basically for fun more or less.

In my defense I let Rollye lead and the first time she wants me gone I take the hint. LOL. Not everyone does that. But I agree regarding some callers. You should call, she would remember you, she remembers everyone.

The General

Quote from: ponyboysunset on April 08, 2016, 09:28:30 PM
http://jukebox1240.com/
http://gila1019.com/

Ok here is the deal. She does the afternoon news on KQSS which is all country. The AM is her baby, and eventually will be none of the hits none of the time primarily focusing on her love of R&B records.

SWEET! Thanks for the low down.

Quote from: ponyboysunset on April 08, 2016, 09:28:30 PM
In my defense I let Rollye lead and the first time she wants me gone I take the hint. LOL. Not everyone does that. But I agree regarding some callers. You should call, she would remember you, she remembers everyone.

No offense to you.  Or any of her callers.  It's just a quirk with her show and it's always been like that for as far as I can remember.  But people call in and they're like "Oh, my mom's still recovering from the hip surgery, yada yada yada on and on and on..."  And Rollye just lets them go on for too long, in my opinion, but apparently it doesn't bother me that much because I still listen.  She really is great.

She would be a decent replacement for Art.

The General

Quote from: 21st Century Man on April 08, 2016, 09:32:38 PM
She would be a decent replacement for Art.
She hosted Coast.
She was great.

The General

This is promising though.  I like the sound of this...

http://www.jukebox1240.com/rollye.html

Ponyboy, is that all she's doing is the news and just on that one country station? That's too bad if that's all she's doing but I'll take what I can get.

ponyboysunset

Quote from: The General on April 08, 2016, 09:32:23 PM
No offense to you.  Or any of her callers.  It's just a quirk with her show and it's always been like that for as far as I can remember.  But people call in and they're like "Oh, my mom's still recovering from the hip surgery, yada yada yada on and on and on..."  And Rollye just lets them go on for too long, in my opinion, but apparently it doesn't bother me that much because I still listen.  She really is great.
The woman actually cares about her listeners. And there are so few of us who call now. But I get it, I truly do. And no offense taken. Just saying I try and get her talking about her past and radio. We all want to hear that. And usually I am successful. I really truly want to write her biography. It would be epic. She knows so many people and has so many great stories. Were you listening the night she forgot to archive this but talked about opening some conference and she didn't realize she had the mic on and was like 'I don't fucking believe this'. That was an amazing story. I believe it was a radio conference in Florida, July 4, 1980.

Or the K-LIT story. Yeah that was a great night too.

ponyboysunset

Quote from: The General on April 08, 2016, 09:40:11 PM
This is promising though.  I like the sound of this...

http://www.jukebox1240.com/rollye.html

Ponyboy, is that all she's doing is the news and just on that one country station? That's too bad if that's all she's doing but I'll take what I can get.
She does the obits once in awhile and makes shit up as she goes. It's fucking hilarious.

The General

Quote from: ponyboysunset on April 08, 2016, 09:41:05 PM
The woman actually cares about her listeners. And there are so few of us who call now. But I get it, I truly do. And no offense taken. Just saying I try and get her talking about her past and radio. We all want to hear that. And usually I am successful. I really truly want to write her biography. It would be epic. She knows so many people and has so many great stories. Were you listening the night she forgot to archive this but talked about opening some conference and she didn't realize she had the mic on and was like 'I don't fucking believe this'. That was an amazing story. I believe it was a radio conference in Florida, July 4, 1980.

Or the K-LIT story. Yeah that was a great night too.

She is an endless font of incredible stories.
I'll never forget her talking about how she used to hack into the phone system using a whistle when she was a kid so she could make free calls.  She's just such a delight to listen to.  And yes, she really does care about her callers.  I don't think she'd remember me tho, I think I've only ever called her twice and it's been years.

ponyboysunset

Quote from: The General on April 08, 2016, 09:47:26 PM
I'll never forget her talking about how she used to hack into the phone system using a whistle when she was a kid so she could make free calls.  She's just such a delight to listen to.  And yes, she really does care about her callers.  I don't think she'd remember me tho, I think I've only ever called her twice and it's been years.
Oh I would be surprised. Rollye has a memory like no one I have ever known. I will post here if I find out anything else.

Quote from: The General on April 08, 2016, 09:47:26 PM

Rollye is great and I only discovered her by accident awhile back when the show was simulcast on a music stream. I remembered her from Coast but had no idea of her music and radio background, like how she worked for Billboard and Casey Kasem's show for instance. Her stories and her recall is amazing. It's not a surprise that she was a phone phreaker as she seems to know a bit about everything.