• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Oil Attack!

Started by albrecht, September 14, 2019, 04:26:58 PM

Hog

Quote from: WOTR on September 17, 2019, 05:29:24 PM
Great idea. But Europe and Canada will take all of the citizens as refugees. We don't want people to be uncomfortable, and will relieve the pressure to prevent any more revolutions (until the revolutions come to our countries.)
Don't worry, you'll take your share as well.

peace
Hog

Hog

Oil prices going UP. 

Russia says "Whew, bout time."  Small Canadian oilsands companies "Whew, bout time."

International military complex say "OK, OK, baby steps, we'll get there. Remember the 1991 Gulf War?"

peace
Hog

albrecht

Quote from: Hog on September 19, 2019, 08:59:40 PM
Oil prices going UP. 

Russia says "Whew, bout time."  Small Canadian oilsands companies "Whew, bout time."

International military complex say "OK, OK, baby steps, we'll get there. Remember the 1991 Gulf War?"

peace
Hog
Strange times. Most importantly speculators, smaller operators, and corrupt regimes happy. I think the Big Boys rather like stability and be able to buy out smaller folks and disruptive prices make it harder to plan long term. I wonder also how this news is taking away from Venezuela issues on the 'radar.' They got the world's biggest reserves but are a basket case these days. Prop up the regime a bit or the attention to ME lets 'things' happen down there? Interesting floods in Houston, East TX, and LA again which might also effect things.......

paladin1991

Quote from: Hog on September 19, 2019, 08:59:40 PM
Oil prices going UP. 

peace
Hog
I do. 

Jackstar

Quote from: FightTheFuture on September 18, 2019, 09:36:15 AM
There's absolutely no question at all [...] there's just no question.

[attachment=1]

Why is this 'evidence' written in English?

Uncle Duke

Not uncommon for non-English speaking nations to use English/Western nomenclature on weapon systems.   Here are photos of a couple Iranian missiles displayed at a military parade so marked.

[attachment=1,msg1357635]

K_Dubb

Quote from: Uncle Duke on September 20, 2019, 10:38:41 AM
Not uncommon for non-English speaking nations to use English nomenclature on weapon systems.   Here are photos of a couple Iranian missiles displayed at a military parade so marked.

[attachment=1,msg1357635]

Is there any practical reason for this or is it a sort of cargo-cult superstitious invocation of technical mastery by cultures used to encountering English on the few appliances that actually work?

Uncle Duke

Quote from: K_Dubb on September 20, 2019, 10:54:23 AM
Is there any practical reason for this or is it a sort of cargo-cult superstitious invocation of technical mastery by cultures used to encountering English on the few appliances that actually work?

The primary purpose of nomenclature on weapon systems is for logistics/maintenance record keeping and support.  I can think of a number of reasons why some non-English speaking nations would use English/Western nomenclature, including for marketing and counter-intelligence purposes.  Also, keep in mind English often acts as a language of convenience between nations/cultures that share widely differing native languagess.  So consider Iran and North Korea working together on a project.  Odds aren't great there are a large number of Persian speaking Koreans,  or Korean speaking North Koreans.  There are, however, probably a large number from both nations who understand/speak English.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Uncle Duke on September 20, 2019, 12:19:39 PM
The primary purpose of nomenclature on weapon systems is for logistics/maintenance record keeping and support.  I can think of a number of reasons why some non-English speaking nations would use English/Western nomenclature, including for marketing and counter-intelligence purposes.  Also, keep in mind English often acts as a language of convenience between nations/cultures that share widely differing native languagess.  So consider Iran and North Korea working together on a project.  Odds aren't great there are a large number of Persian speaking Koreans,  or Korean speaking North Koreans.  There are, however, probably a large number from both nations who understand/speak English.

I could see that for technical parts and stuff but doesn't its prominent use on missiles in parade dress which look like they have been freshly painted suggest that its function is, predominantly, one of display?

Uncle Duke

Quote from: K_Dubb on September 20, 2019, 12:30:11 PM
I could see that for technical parts and stuff but doesn't its prominent use on missiles in parade dress which look like they have been freshly painted suggest that its function is, predominantly, one of display?

Which would suggest either marketing or for counter-intelligence purposes.  False nomenclature and/or fabricated markings are a long standing means to confuse enemies. 

K_Dubb

Quote from: Uncle Duke on September 20, 2019, 12:38:53 PM
Which would suggest either marketing or for counter-intelligence purposes.  False nomenclature and/or fabricated markings are a long standing means to confuse enemies.

OK that makes sense, thanks!  My hopes for an interesting cultural phenomenon are dashed once again on your rock of merciless pragmatism.

Jackstar

"Suspiciously Well Placed": First Images Of Crippling Damage To Giant Khurais Oil Field Revealed

QuoteMore than a few analysts suspect the Houthis may have had inside assistance for a growing Saudi domestic insurgency."

[attachment=1]

Quote from: Jackstar on September 20, 2019, 03:38:36 PM
"Suspiciously Well Placed": First Images Of Crippling Damage To Giant Khurais Oil Field Revealed

[attachment=1,msg1357660]

What ya reckon, Jack, inside job? Suadis blow up their own oil producing infrastructure? No! Maybe the Bush family? Cheney! that`s it. It was Dick Cheney! Or...the illuminate. Brick masons, dry wallers....who? :o ::)

paladin1991

Quote from: FightTheFuture on September 21, 2019, 12:22:45 AM
What ya reckon, Jack, inside job? Suadis blow up their own oil producing infrastructure? No! Maybe the Bush family? Cheney! that`s it. It was Dick Cheney! Or...the illuminate. Brick masons, dry wallers....who? :o ::)
The Dead Kennedys.

Jackstar

Quote from: FightTheFuture on September 21, 2019, 12:22:45 AM

3) Coincidental. They tend to surface suddenly and somewhat coincidentally with a new controversial topic with no clear prior record of participation in general discussions in the particular public arena involved. They likewise tend to vanish once the topic is no longer of general concern. They were likely directed or elected to be there for a reason, and vanish with the reason.

4) Teamwork. They tend to operate in self-congratulatory and complementary packs or teams. Of course, this can happen naturally in any public forum, but there will likely be an ongoing pattern of frequent exchanges of this sort where professionals are involved. Sometimes one of the players will infiltrate the opponent camp to become a source for straw man or other tactics designed to dilute opponent presentation strength.

5) Anti-conspiratorial. They almost always have disdain for 'conspiracy theorists' and, usually, for those who in any way believe JFK was not killed by LHO. Ask yourself why, if they hold such disdain for conspiracy theorists, do they focus on defending a single topic discussed in a NG focusing on conspiracies? One might think they would either be trying to make fools of everyone on every topic, or simply ignore the group they hold in such disdain.Or, one might more rightly conclude they have  an ulterior motive for their actions in going out of their way to focus as they do.

14) Demand complete solutions. Avoid the issues by requiring opponents to solve the crime at hand completely

Quote from: Jackstar on September 18, 2019, 10:30:02 AM

pate

Quote from: Jackstar on September 17, 2019, 05:57:09 PM
[attachment=1,msg1356786]

Overhead, the day before at the Hall of Justice:

Quote from: pate on September 15, 2019, 11:37:43 PM
Tanks four mammaries!

Nautical Shore?

-p

Kidnostad3

Quote from: Uncle Duke on September 20, 2019, 12:19:39 PM

Exactly.  It's more of an international protocol for standardization of nomenclature used in foreign military sales and logistics support.  Serves a similar function to TCP/IP and other international conventions for weights and measures, radio communications, etc. 

Kidnostad3

Is it really legit for muslim women to wear a pussy hat atop a burka? Asking for my cousin Ralphie.

albrecht

Quote from: Kidnostad3 on September 22, 2019, 10:25:12 AM
Exactly.  It's more of an international protocol for standardization of nomenclature used in foreign military sales and logistics support.  Serves a similar function to TCP/IP and other international conventions for weights and measures, radio communications, etc.
Almost everything is identified/classified by various treaties and organizations- private or public or international- (except, I guess some countries that refuse to comply or don't do much trade.)  This helps with trade, safety, determine taxes/tariffs, helps economic analysis, let's banks figure out loans or letters of credit, helps underwriters assess risk, etc and makes trade more efficient. That is the theory, anyway. But such details can, at times, seem silly- as when some body determines a banana has to be within some certain curve standard etc.
Just a few examples most would be familiar with: 

Vessel registration (if you want to ship internationally or to other countries)

https://unstats.un.org/unsd/tradekb/Knowledgebase/50018/Harmonized-Commodity-Description-and-Coding-Systems-HS 

https://www.icao.int/Pages/default.aspx 

https://www.census.gov/eos/www/napcs/index.html

pate

Quote from: Kidnostad3 on September 22, 2019, 10:44:01 AM
Is it really legit for muslim women to wear a pussy hat atop a burka.  Asking for my cousin Ralphie.

gotta love the People's Cube.  I still want one for the dashboard of my car, my GoFundMe effort failed in that direction.

+1CHUBB

#biff!