• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

_LINUX_

Started by (Sandman) Logan-5, June 30, 2018, 11:01:20 PM

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on October 03, 2019, 03:08:34 AM
They appear to be installing a 32 bit version of Windows.  I can do that already.  I need a work-around where I can install a 64 bit version on a laptop that has 32 bit EFI and 64 bit hardware.

Well, you just want everything, don’t you?

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on October 03, 2019, 03:11:40 AM
Well, you just want everything, don’t you?

Your posts cover the spectrum from “Amusingly Subpar” to “Neutron Star Made of Densely Packed Turds.”

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on October 03, 2019, 03:14:49 AM
Your posts cover the spectrum from “Amusingly Subpar” to “Neutron Star Made of Densely Packed Turds.”

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on October 03, 2019, 01:51:50 AM
I am having a problem and am hoping that someone here can help me.

I have a couple of Vulcan laptops (some of you may recognize Vulcan as Paul Allen's company).  I want to install Windows 10 on them. 

The tricky part (for Windows) is that these laptops have a 32 bit EFI and a 64 bit operating system.  I can install Linux Mint in a trice by including a 32 bit file in the boot directory.  However, I cannot make such a modification with the Windows 10 install files.  This leaves me with the option of installing a 32 bit version of Windows 10 on this 64 bit machine, which I find unsettling.

It seems that this is an architecture that is found on tablets but not often on laptops, which might explain why I am unable to find a solution online.  I have searched extensively, but no joy.  I think that I could pull it off if I could modify the *.wim file, but I have not been able to figure out how to do that using Linux-based tools.  I'm not even sure that this is the right approach.

Can anyone help?

An interesting issue to have and I imagine that any solution is going to be stickity wicketish but it seems like you are up for that.
I don't really know much about Windows internals nor WinPE but answer 1 in the post below looks like a path forward to me.

https://superuser.com/questions/1055305/installing-windows-x64-on-32-bit-uefi-efi-ia32-via-grub

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on October 03, 2019, 04:01:58 AM
An interesting issue to have and I imagine that any solution is going to be stickity wicketish but it seems like you are up for that.
I don't really know much about Windows internals nor WinPE but answer 1 in the post below looks like a path forward to me.

https://superuser.com/questions/1055305/installing-windows-x64-on-32-bit-uefi-efi-ia32-via-grub

The problem that I have been encountering is that the Win 64 bit install file starts by trying to set up the boot files.  It discovers that the UEFI is 32 bit and from that decides that the hardware is also 32 bit, and not suitable for a 64 bit install.

I understand what this guy is talking about in his instructions.  I don't know if it will work but it is certainly worth a try.  Maraming salamat po.

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on October 03, 2019, 07:44:46 PM
The problem that I have been encountering is that the Win 64 bit install file starts by trying to set up the boot files.  It discovers that the UEFI is 32 bit and from that decides that the hardware is also 32 bit, and not suitable for a 64 bit install.

I understand what this guy is talking about in his instructions.  I don't know if it will work but it is certainly worth a try.  Maraming salamat po.

Yeah - let me know how it goes.  I like that approach better than hacking up some Window files (I think that might lead to other issues later on) but of course it has to work............

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on October 03, 2019, 01:51:50 AM
I am having a problem and am hoping that someone here can help me.

Put Down The Chocolate Covered Banana & Step AWAY From The Computer !   

You're stepping into a quagmire trying to do this.  ???

A possible answer resides in the proper thread.     ;)
https://bellgab.com/index.php?topic=8324.msg1363961#msg1363961