• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

WV DuPont fire

Started by GravitySucks, October 26, 2017, 08:14:51 PM

GravitySucks

Has anyone seen this chemical fire on the news?

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/2TraE

Yorkshire pud

Shit, the link makes terrible reading.This could put Du-Pont out of business after all the litigation is put in about harmful chemical spillage and future respiratory conditions. The local water supply sounds as if its compromised too. Scott Pruitt will sort it though

albrecht

Quote from: GravitySucks on October 26, 2017, 08:14:51 PM
Has anyone seen this chemical fire on the news?

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/2TraE

I haven't. I wonder why? That looks bad. It is like one disaster after another these days. Rest assured, I'm sure lawfirms are already on the scene to help out. The headlines say DuPont but the info I see say an outfit called "Intercontinental Export Import, Inc." owned by this guy (I think.) And isn't it DowDuPont also these days? They merged I thought?
https://www.bloomberg.com/research/stocks/private/person.asp?personId=5986597&privcapId=4549413&previousCapId=4549413&previousTitle=Intercontinental%20Export%20Import,%20Inc.

http://dep.wv.gov/news/Pages/WVDEP-Issues-Order-to-Intercontinental-Export-Import,-Inc-For-Information-on-Warehouse-Contents.aspx
(I wasn't aware that WVa even had an environmental agency.)

GravitySucks

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on October 26, 2017, 08:33:30 PM
Shit, the link makes terrible reading.This could put Du-Pont out of business after all the litigation is put in about harmful chemical spillage and future respiratory conditions. The local water supply sounds as if its compromised too. Scott Pruitt will sort it though

Yeah, because the fines they got from Obama’s EPA did a lot to make sure this could never happen. Gotchya.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: GravitySucks on October 26, 2017, 08:35:28 PM
Yeah, because the fines they got from Obama’s EPA did a lot to make sure this could never happen. Gotchya.

Fines don't make good practice. I used to work for Du-Pont and this surprises me because ironically they became one of the safest work area firms in the world (They wrote HSE manuals for governments) because of the fire back in 1800 and something in Delaware that killed hundreds. The then boss said it would never happen again and put best practice into action for all the plants.

No doubt the post mortem of this disaster will show up many things but I'm guessing it was cost cutting from way back; Possibly tax breaks and not needing to comply with unenforced regulations. Someone somewhere has a buck stopping at their desk.  :( Time will tell.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on October 26, 2017, 08:43:35 PM

Fines don't make good practice. I used to work for Du-Pont and this surprises me because ironically they became one of the safest work area firms in the world (They wrote HSE manuals for governments) because of the fire back in 1800 and something in Delaware that killed hundreds. The then boss said it would never happen again and put best practice into action for all the plants.

No doubt the post mortem of this disaster will show up many things but I'm guessing it was cost cutting from way back; Possibly tax breaks and not needing to comply with unenforced regulations. Someone somewhere has a buck stopping at their desk.  :( Time will tell.

DuPont probably is in the clear. Looks like this is. Reseller of DuPont surplus chemicals, along with other waste products.

albrecht

Quote from: GravitySucks on October 26, 2017, 08:55:12 PM
DuPont probably is in the clear. Looks like this is. Reseller of DuPont surplus chemicals, along with other waste products.
Hey, the guy/company I posted about earlier is just trying to be "green." There are just recycling plastics and stuff.

Hint to all: anytime you got a company named "Import-Export" derivative it does you well to do some due diligence, financing upfront, etc (unless you are looking for shady outfits, gray market items, covert operations, customs avoiding schemes, dumping counterfeit goods, getting rid of waste, etc.)