• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Night owl? It's all in your genes.

Started by WOTR, April 20, 2017, 12:05:42 AM

WOTR

Ran across something that pretty much explains me to a "T"  I particularly love “Melatonin levels start to rise around 9 or 10 at night in most people,” says Young. “In this DSPD patient that doesn’t happen until 2 or 3 in the morning."  Yup, around 3 AM sound about right.

I figure that on a board that was dedicated to late night radio there are bound to be at least a few people who find this of interest.  Fortunatly, my job allows me the hours that I want to work (unset.)  I used to have to be to work for 7AM and it was beyond hell.  Watching the sun rise when I went to school made me wonder which satinst bastard wanted to torture me...

http://newswire.rockefeller.edu/2017/04/06/study-identifies-night-owl-gene-variant/

Jojo

After the initial shake-up, I think the body settles fine into new routines.  As long as you don't cheat, like stay up late when you have to get up early.  Naps help.

AZZERAE

Quote from: Sixteen on June 01, 2019, 10:32:36 AM
After the initial shake-up, I think the body settles fine into new routines.  As long as you don't cheat, like stay up late when you have to get up early.  Naps help.

Everybody is different, so while it may be easy for some to adapt to a new routine, others are affected pretty badly by the changes. The human body is adaptable in most ways, however, yes.

In general, I believe long term sleep deprivation or shifts in sleep cycles can damage circadian rhythms to a large extent, and lead to more serious illnesses down the line.

As you may know, naps are a precarious endeavour, because if you do nap, the effects of different durations of naps lead to different results. Some make you groggy, others perk you up, and everything in between. It’s just difficult for some to time their nap accordingly, not oversleep by a few minutes, or sleep for too short a time.

I personally have cut corners on my sleep in many different ways, and it ended poorly. Thank God I fixed that after years of abusing when I did or didn’t sleep. I’d go to sleep at like 3 o’ clock in the morning, and get up at 7. Eventually I’d oversleep some days, and wind up napping or flaking out on deadlines. In short, it drives you mad. And if you’re already not all that stable, it puts your irritability into hyperdrive.

So it’s best to sleep well!

ksm32

I'm not an owl, I'm a human being and I don't care for labels and accusations.  Fuck you, WOTR.

IIIIiiiii… AM A HUMAN BEEEEEEEING!!!!!!!

Like  I'm a fkn owl. >:( How dare you. Yoooouuuu won't see me comin'... but one night.. when you least expect it.... I'll break your back, fuck your ass with cock ten inch.. make you humble!  HUMBELLLLLLL <- The Iron Sheik

Hmmm  think I might go see if my wife will act out my avatar.

You're welcome, for keeping your horrible thread alive. Goodnight :)

DocHolliday

I'm just here for Fourth Meal.  Taco Bell still open??

WOTR

Quote from: ksm32 on June 02, 2019, 12:13:34 AM
I'm not an owl, I'm a human being and I don't care for labels and accusations.  Fuck you, WOTR.

You sound like you could use a little more... Sleep.  ;)

As for "adapting to a new routine" I would disagree. Yes, you CAN do just about anything. A "morning person" can work the overnight shift. But it is never going to feel right or feel natural.

Going back to the study- you have to wonder if there was some evolutionary reason for a group of people to naturally be awake until 3:00 AM... If there was some advantage to a few nocturnal humans.

Jojo

Quote from: WOTR on June 02, 2019, 12:56:55 AM
You sound like you could use a little more... Sleep.  ;)

As for "adapting to a new routine" I would disagree. Yes, you CAN do just about anything. A "morning person" can work the overnight shift. But it is never going to feel right or feel natural.

Going back to the study- you have to wonder if there was some evolutionary reason for a group of people to naturally be awake until 3:00 AM... If there was some advantage to a few nocturnal humans.
That sounds right.  People who can quickly mobilize if there is a problem, do needed work on surfaces while no one is using them, tend to all the things done in hospitals at night to keep them running, and stop cat fights so others can sleep.

Jojo

Quote from: ksm32 on June 02, 2019, 12:13:34 AM

IIIIiiiii… AM A HUMAN BEEEEEEEING!!!!!!!

Like  I'm a fkn owl. >:( How dare you. Yoooouuuu won't see me comin'... but one night.. when you least expect it.... I'll break your back, fuck your ass with cock ten inch.. make you humble!  HUMBELLLLLLL <- The Iron Sheik

Hmmm  think I might go see if my wife will act out my avatar.

I thought you were a farm phallus.

AZZERAE

Quote from: WOTR on June 02, 2019, 12:56:55 AM
You have to wonder if there was some evolutionary reason for a group of people to naturally be awake until 3:00 AM.

All the best stories are told by campfire light, in the wee hours.

But for evolutionary reasons, perhaps, to guard against predators, invasions or any number  of dangers.

ksm32

Quote from: Sixteen on June 02, 2019, 02:22:26 AM
I thought you were a farm phallus.

..play yer cards right... ;)

Unless you're actually "16" in which case go to bed. You'll need as much rest as possible for another day of indoctrination.