• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

the jaz cast

Started by jazmunda, August 12, 2016, 09:16:19 PM

jazmunda

Quote from: K_Dubb on September 08, 2016, 02:18:44 PM
Fascinating!  I heard an interview once with an Australian linguist who described the language as pulled between American and British English -- the American influence dating from WWII, the British much further back.  Of course he was a pompous old coot whose accent to me was nearly indistinguishable from Shreddi's and whose judgments reeked of the class concerns which as an American I deplore.

It would be awesome if your "spruiker" was a survivor from the days when Australia was New Holland and Tasmania Van Diemen's Land.

The Australian bastardization of the English language takes root in British English and has definitely been influenced heavily by American culture since WWII. Growing up in the 80s our TV was mix of British, American and local content. Now it's heavily skewed to American content and there is less influence on our culture and hence the language from the Poms.

Aussies have also butchered the English language ourselves as demonstrated in this video.

http://youtu.be/yDb_WsAt_Z0

K_Dubb

Quote from: jaz on September 08, 2016, 03:28:15 PM
The Australian bastardization of the English language takes root in British English and has definitely been influenced heavily by American culture since WWII. Growing up in the 80s our TV was mix of British, American and local content. Now it's heavily skewed to American content and there is less influence on our culture and hence the language from the Poms.

Aussies have also butchered the English language ourselves as demonstrated in this video.

That's hilarious.  Spag-Bol is my favorite.  But I associate the abbreviating trend with the Brits based on the number of times I've winced reading the Daily Mail.  American English is actually pretty conservative -- we do the same kinds of things but rarely commit them to print.

Flipping a uey goes way back here, but until now I had no idea how to spell it.

akwilly

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on September 08, 2016, 02:35:06 PM
It's used often in sports betting (and especially horse racing) as a guy that recommends "can't miss picks" usually from some inside information.
I've often referred to those guys as sharps

jazmunda

Quote from: K_Dubb on September 08, 2016, 03:43:44 PM
That's hilarious.  Spag-Bol is my favorite.  But I associate the abbreviating trend with the Brits based on the number of times I've winced reading the Daily Mail.  American English is actually pretty conservative -- we do the same kinds of things but rarely commit them to print.

Flipping a uey goes way back here, but until now I had no idea how to spell it.

The abbreviation of words is not new to languages but can you abbreviate a whole sentence of words and have the other person completely understand what you are saying?

We are extremely gifted. :P

jazmunda

I'll probably be streaming, playing some tunes and taking calls from about 10pm ET/7pm PT. I'll confirm a little bit later on.

Listen and chat LIVE: http://jazcast.com

Call 646 374 2666 or Skype jaz.munda

albrecht

Quote from: jaz on September 08, 2016, 05:26:13 PM
The abbreviation of words is not new to languages but can you abbreviate a whole sentence of words and have the other person completely understand what you are saying?

We are extremely gifted. :P
I think it is an equivalent phenomena of being able to carry on drunken conversations with Glaswegians (or any thick accents etc) but later when sober the communication is broken and one might as well be in a non-English speaking country. In that case where you are in a foreign country the easy solution, as any English speaker knows, is to speak LOUDER. Eventually the natives will understand.)

akwilly

Quote from: jaz on September 08, 2016, 05:28:58 PM
I'll probably be streaming, playing some tunes and taking calls from about 10pm ET/7pm PT. I'll confirm a little bit later on.

why so early Jaz? You realize the game starts in about an hour

jazmunda

Quote from: akwilly on September 08, 2016, 05:31:59 PM
why so early Jaz? You realize the game starts in about an hour

When does the game finish approximately?

jazmunda

Quote from: albrecht on September 08, 2016, 05:31:48 PM
I think it is an equivalent phenomena of being able to carry on drunken conversations with Glaswegians (or any thick accents etc) but later when sober the communication is broken and one might as well be in a non-English speaking country. Eventually the natives will understand.)

and SLOWER.

I have actually seen American tourists attempt to speak to non-English speakers louder and slower expecting them to understand if they use that method of communication.

akwilly

Quote from: jaz on September 08, 2016, 05:33:57 PM
When does the game finish approximately?
around 11 or 11:30 est

albrecht

Quote from: jaz on September 08, 2016, 05:35:56 PM
and SLOWER.
Yes, speaking LOUDER and SLOWER is the key to communication with non-English speakers, and more effective when one is in their country.

jazmunda

Juan

And with a condescending tone of voice.

jazmunda

Quote from: Juan on September 08, 2016, 05:39:16 PM
And with a condescending tone of voice.

I think that goes without saying when talking to foreigners.

akwilly

Quote from: jaz on September 08, 2016, 05:38:21 PM
I can delay to 11:30pm EST/8:30pm PT
do what's best for you Jaz. Hell it would be cool to hear your show while the game is winding down especially if it's a blowout

Quote from: akwilly on September 08, 2016, 05:43:53 PM
do what's best for you Jaz. Hell it would be cool to hear your show while the game is winding down especially if it's a blowout

You watching East Mississippi Community College, Willy?
http://www.emccathletics.com/sports/fball/2013-14/videos/uStream2

Quote from: jaz on September 08, 2016, 05:28:58 PM

Is it true that you do all your shows in the nude? I'm asking for a friend.

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on September 08, 2016, 05:31:48 PM
I think it is an equivalent phenomena of being able to carry on drunken conversations with Glaswegians (or any thick accents etc) but later when sober the communication is broken and one might as well be in a non-English speaking country. In that case where you are in a foreign country the easy solution, as any English speaker knows, is to speak LOUDER. Eventually the natives will understand.)

Surely that is an illusion!  Occasionally I have been convinced, when in my cups, that I am actually fluent in French, and the accommodating nods and smiles of those around me do little to persuade otherwise.  I insist upon ordering in that language, and cover any lapses with what I am sure are the Frenchest of qu'est-ce que c'ests and qu'est-ce qu'on dits, delivered with a very Gallic wave of the hand.  It is only with the morning that the awful truth dawns.

K_Dubb

Quote from: akwilly on September 08, 2016, 05:06:49 PM
I've often referred to those guys as sharps

Interesting.  That is by analogy to cardsharps?

jazmunda

Quote from: Inglorious Bitch on September 08, 2016, 06:22:43 PM
Is it true that you do all your shows in the nude? I'm asking for a friend.

Under my clothes for sure.

Quote from: jaz on September 08, 2016, 05:35:56 PM
and SLOWER.

I have actually seen American tourists attempt to speak to non-English speakers louder and slower expecting them to understand if they use that method of communication.

Everyone should know Emglish. Stupid foreigners

jazmunda

There may be no show tonight as the internet is currently out at my house with no ETA to be fixed. Taking the dog for a walk. Hopefully I'm back online upon my return. Stay tuned.

jazmunda

Internet is still out at my house. I'm tethering internet to my computer from my phone. Let's see how stable the stream is. Not sure how long this "show" will last.

Quote from: chefist on September 08, 2016, 09:41:42 PM
Last Chance U? That was a great show!

I admit it held my attention

starrmtn001

Quote from: jaz on September 08, 2016, 10:00:05 PM
Internet is still out at my house. I'm tethering internet to my computer from my phone. Let's see how stable the stream is. Not sure how long this "show" will last.

I went down for a nap.  I just now woke up.  I'm so sorry I missed your show, Jaz. :'(

akwilly

Quote from: starrmtn001 on September 09, 2016, 02:53:59 AM
I went down for a nap.  I just now woke up.  I'm so sorry I missed your show, Jaz. :'(
I don't think it happened