• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

One Hundred Years Ago

Started by Rix Gins, January 01, 2016, 08:20:14 PM

Meister_000

Quote from: Rix Gins on January 25, 2016, 10:34:30 PM
And another Item from The Day Book, 100 years ago.

Thanks Rix. For my money, your thread (plus contributors) is the best and of the most value on Bellgab.
I took a moment to go see The Day Book page, and the paper's own story is worth making note of:

http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn83045487/

About The day book Chicago, Ill. 1911-1917

"The Day Book
Conceived by newspaper mogul Edward Willis Scripps as an experiment in advertisement-free newspaper publishing, the Chicago Day Book was published for a working-class readership Monday through Saturday from September 28, 1911 to July 6, 1917.  Scripps chose Chicago, with its large working-class population, as the venue for the first of what he hoped would become a chain of ad-free newspapers.  Free from commercial influence, the Day Book would report on issues of concern to what Scripps called the “95 percent” of the population.  Priced at one cent, like the other Chicago dailies of the period, the Day Book was published in a small tabloid format of nine by six inches, with 32 pages per issue.  The small format was one of many strategies Scripps used to hold down publishing costs, along with bulk purchase of newsprint for all of his newspapers and the use of features created by Scripps’s Newspaper Enterprise Association.

Edited by former editor of the Toledo News-Bee, Negley D. Cochran, the Day Book championed the interests of workers, with extensive coverage of working conditions, wages, union organizing, and labor unrest.  Circulation received a boost during the Chicago newspaper strike of 1912, when pressmen were locked out at several major Chicago dailies, but fell again when the strike ended in November 1912.  The Day Book’s most celebrated reporter was Carl Sandburg, who wrote for the paper from early 1913 until its cessation in the summer of 1917.  Although for the most part Cochran eschewed the use of bylines in the Day Book, more than 135 articles have been attributed to Sandburg, and this body of work vividly reflects his views on the social and political issues of the day.    . . .

. . .   Circulation of the Day Book peaked at 22,839 in October 1916, and January 1917 was the only profitable month in the paper’s six-year run.  Although the Day Book never achieved Scripps’s goal of 30,000 subscribers and 15 percent annual profit, scholars recognize its achievements in adopting both a new business model for newspaper publishing and a new style of advocacy journalism."

Quote from: Rix Gins on January 25, 2016, 10:34:30 PM
And another Item from The Day Book, 100 years ago.

I have no use for royalty, but King Peter deserves a lot of credit for his ability to handle an ox cart under duress! 

Meister_000

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on January 26, 2016, 01:24:17 AM
I have no use for royalty, but King Peter deserves a lot of credit for his ability to handle an ox cart under duress!

I miss seeing BigBird!  :D  [actually, the King is riding in back, not driving] . I wonder if that mode of transport was a humiliation in itself or if it was the most dependable and wise choice given road conditions etc.?  It certainly wasn't speedy!  :D

Rix Gins

Quote from: Meister_000 on January 26, 2016, 12:43:14 AM
Thanks Rix. For my money, your thread (plus contributors) is the best and of the most value on Bellgab.
I took a moment to go see The Day Book page, and the paper's own story is worth making note of:

http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn83045487/

About The day book Chicago, Ill. 1911-1917

"The Day Book
Conceived by newspaper mogul Edward Willis Scripps as an experiment in advertisement-free newspaper publishing, the Chicago Day Book was published for a working-class readership Monday through Saturday from September 28, 1911 to July 6, 1917.  Scripps chose Chicago, with its large working-class population, as the venue for the first of what he hoped would become a chain of ad-free newspapers.  Free from commercial influence, the Day Book would report on issues of concern to what Scripps called the “95 percent” of the population.  Priced at one cent, like the other Chicago dailies of the period, the Day Book was published in a small tabloid format of nine by six inches, with 32 pages per issue.  The small format was one of many strategies Scripps used to hold down publishing costs, along with bulk purchase of newsprint for all of his newspapers and the use of features created by Scripps’s Newspaper Enterprise Association.

Edited by former editor of the Toledo News-Bee, Negley D. Cochran, the Day Book championed the interests of workers, with extensive coverage of working conditions, wages, union organizing, and labor unrest.  Circulation received a boost during the Chicago newspaper strike of 1912, when pressmen were locked out at several major Chicago dailies, but fell again when the strike ended in November 1912.  The Day Book’s most celebrated reporter was Carl Sandburg, who wrote for the paper from early 1913 until its cessation in the summer of 1917.  Although for the most part Cochran eschewed the use of bylines in the Day Book, more than 135 articles have been attributed to Sandburg, and this body of work vividly reflects his views on the social and political issues of the day.    . . .

. . .   Circulation of the Day Book peaked at 22,839 in October 1916, and January 1917 was the only profitable month in the paper’s six-year run.  Although the Day Book never achieved Scripps’s goal of 30,000 subscribers and 15 percent annual profit, scholars recognize its achievements in adopting both a new business model for newspaper publishing and a new style of advocacy journalism."

Thank you Meister, for the kind words concerning the thread.  Yes, the boys do a great job of finding stuff to post.  I am very grateful that they keep the thread alive.  I have always been the type to cut clippings out of papers and magazines and make scrapbooks out of them.  It is so much easier to do so now, what with the internet and all.  (Don't need scissors anymore.)  lol  That was a great piece on The Day Book.  I had noticed that the pages weren't crowded with items and this must explain why the pages are sharper and clearer than most newspapers from The Library of Congress.  Please feel free to join us here at the 100 years ago thread and thanks again for the kudos.   PS, did you know that there were reports of UFO activity back during 1916?  Here is an article...

http://www.uk-ufo.org/condign/hist1916.htm

Quote from: Meister_000 on January 26, 2016, 01:36:48 AM
I miss seeing BigBird!  :D  [actually, the King is riding in back, not driving] . I wonder if that mode of transport was a humiliation in itself or if it was the most dependable and wise choice given road conditions etc.?  It certainly wasn't speedy!  :D

If he wasn't driving, it had to be humiliating! My opinion of King Peter is now considerably lower than it was a few minutes ago.

:D

Meister_000

Quote from: Rix Gins on January 26, 2016, 01:57:15 AM
Thank you Meister, for the kind words concerning the thread.  Yes, the boys do a great job of finding stuff to post.  I am very grateful that they keep the thread alive.  I have always been the type to cut clippings out of papers and magazines and make scrapbooks out of them.  It is so much easier to do so now, what with the internet and all.  (Don't need scissors anymore.)  lol  That was a great piece on The Day Book.  I had noticed that the pages weren't crowded with items and this must explain why the pages are sharper and clearer than most newspapers from The Library of Congress.  Please feel free to join us here at the 100 years ago thread and thanks again for the kudos.   PS, did you know that there were reports of UFO activity back during 1916?  Here is an article...

http://www.uk-ufo.org/condign/hist1916.htm

Thanks for the welcome Rix. Do you use Evernote now to manage your collections? I dealt with antiques and collectables for about 5 years the 90's so I love old stuff and it's surrounding history.

And no, I had never heard of of those early reports. Interesting. Much more credible than late WWll reports. Reading that reminded me that they're talking about open cock-pit Bi-planes, at night, in the dark, cold, windy, foggy, wettness. Tough duty! Bundle up!!

Meister_000

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on January 26, 2016, 02:13:58 AM
If he wasn't driving, it had to be humiliating! My opinion of King Peter is now considerably lower than it was a few minutes ago.

:D
I don't think they even had sun glasses to hide behind in those days.

And Bless You! for that Vision.   ;D

On January 26, 1916  Howard Drew won a special event in NYC that allowed the worlds top sprinters to race against each other.

QuoteJanuary 26, 1916 - The crowds at Madison Square Garden are so large that the Fire Department ordered the doors closed and the police had trouble controlling the crowd.

They came to the Millrose Games to watch Howard Drew compete in a special invitational event that brought together four of the world's fastest sprinters.  The finish was so close that there was a conference amongst the officials before the "Springfield sprinter" was awarded first place in a World Record-equalling time that Drew himself had set 4 years earlier.  The NY Times wrote "it certainly served to make Drew the leader in his class again."

Drew was the original "World's Fastest Human" and attended the 1912 Olympics in Stockholm.  He was the favorite to win the 100M and 200M sprints but pulled a muscle and was unable to finish competing.  There would be no Olympics in 1916 and by 1920 Drew was unable to make the US team.   
He would become an attorney and was the first Black judge in Connecticut after settling in Hartford.

On January 26th, 1916 Sergeant Owen Leonard Clements, Corporal Michael F. Ring, Private Perry H. Rhode, and Private Charles D. Wilton Best all drowned in the Rio Grande river during a border skirmish at Progreso, Texas.

It took several days but all of the bodies would be recovered.

QuoteU.S. SOLDIERS NOT SHOT BY MEXICANS

Dynamite Floats Bodies of Three Victims â€" Examination Shows No Wounds.

BROWNSVILLE, Texas, Jan. 31. â€" Use of dynamite has resulted in the recovery today of the bodies of three of the four soldiers drowned in the Rio Grande, Jan. 26,  at Progreso, Texas, when American soldiers entered Mexico in an effort to rescue two companions.  The bodies recovered were those of Corporal Michael Ring and Private Henry A. Rhode, Battery B, Fourth field artillery, and Private Charles D. Wilton Best of the Twelfth cavalry.
    Examination of the three bodies at an undertaker’s establishment where they were embalmed last night revealed no bullet wounds and so disposes of the rumors that they were drowned after being shot by Mexicans.
      Search for the body of Sergt. Owen Clements will continue tomorrow.

The Army provided a funeral service for the four soldiers with full military honors.

The second picture above with the calvaryman holding the regimental flag brought this movie clip to mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m7RPjQxjmA

Rix Gins

The latest issue of Hope College's newspaper "The Anchor" came out 100 years ago, today.  http://digitalcommons.hope.edu/anchor_1916/2/  It's a religious college so the paper was predictably full of clean articles regarding the institution's glee club, it's sporting events, articles of goodwill in general.  Then I came across this notation in the campus news section,  There must have been at least one JD (Juvenile Delinquent) in the school.

Rix Gins

Also this ad from the paper.  Would love to know the reason for the name change. 

Rix Gins

Some boxing news from The Day Book  (I like the descriptions sports writers used back then.)

Quote from: Rix Gins on January 25, 2016, 09:34:25 PM
Everett True was annoyed by everybody.  His comic strip appeared throughout WWI and if any of the men in town didn't support the war or buy war bonds, he would literally tear into them, much  as  he is doing in today's comic from The Day Book.  PS...he was horribly hen pecked by his wife.

The song titles in the top panel are hilarious because they aren't too far-fetched considering the popular music of the time!

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on January 26, 2016, 02:13:58 AM

My opinion of King Peter just rose to a new high.  He was well-educated, and well-traveled and a military officer who saw a lot of combat in various European conflicts. As King, he was widely popular for instituting sweeping democratic reforms, allowing freedom of the press, and promoting cultural activities.  In the ox cart picture, rather than fleeing ignominiously, he was leading an orderly retreat of the Serbian army and thousands of civilian refugees through the mountains after the country was invaded by Germany. He was over seventy at the time, and I bet he could have grabbed the reins and driven that cart himself if necessary!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_I_of_Serbia

Ciardelo

Quote from: Rix Gins on January 26, 2016, 03:22:33 PM
The latest issue of Hope College's newspaper "The Anchor" came out 100 years ago, today.  http://digitalcommons.hope.edu/anchor_1916/2/  It's a religious college so the paper was predictably full of clean articles regarding the institution's glee club, it's sporting events, articles of goodwill in general.  Then I came across this notation in the campus news section,  There must have been at least one JD (Juvenile Delinquent) in the school.
heh. Little did the culprit know we would still be reading about him 100 years later...what would he say? That this "was epic?"

Rix Gins

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on January 26, 2016, 08:22:54 PM
My opinion of King Peter just rose to a new high.  He was well-educated, and well-traveled and a military officer who saw a lot of combat in various European conflicts. As King, he was widely popular for instituting sweeping democratic reforms, allowing freedom of the press, and promoting cultural activities.  In the ox cart picture, rather than fleeing ignominiously, he was leading an orderly retreat of the Serbian army and thousands of civilian refugees through the mountains after the country was invaded by Germany. He was over seventy at the time, and I bet he could have grabbed the reins and driven that cart himself if necessary!

Quite a leader and he even had an avenue off of Paris's Champs-Élysées named after him.  That's gotta be him driving the ox cart.  Zoom in and you will see a mustache that matches that of the kind that Peter's wearing in other photos.  The guy in the back of the cart looks like the brakeman for The Cannonball Express.     

Rix Gins

Quote from: Ciardelo on January 26, 2016, 09:54:43 PM
heh. Little did the culprit know we would still be reading about him 100 years later...what would he say? That this "was epic?"

LOL!

Meister_000

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on January 26, 2016, 08:22:54 PM

Thanks for the additional info . .

and, YOU WERE RIGHT, Robert.  I believe you (and Rix) were right all along and I was wrong. That _is_ King Peter driving. The guy in the rear has a dark mustache (hence, is too young) and on closer inspection the driver does appear rather "slumped" tired thin old (and has the right size and color mustache as-well-as the right age overall). The Wiki article says that Peter had been in poor health since effectively retiring two years earlier (after other pre-war battles and conflicts) and really never did recover his health ever. So that makes this incident all the more remarkable and commendable, harrowing and heroic. [And I do appologize for misleading and making you ever doubt him.]  Hail King Peter!

So who's humbled and humiliated now! 

Rix Gins

Quote from: Meister_000 on January 27, 2016, 02:59:49 AM

and, YOU WERE RIGHT, Robert.  I believe you (and Rix) were right all along and I was wrong. That _is_ King Peter driving. The guy in the rear has a dark mustache (hence, is too young) and on closer inspection the driver does appear rather "slumped" tired thin old (and has the right size and color mustache as-well-as the right age overall). The Wiki article says that Peter had been in poor health since effectively retiring two years earlier (after other pre-war battles and conflicts) and really never did recover his health ever. So that makes this incident all the more remarkable and commendable, harrowing and heroic. [And I do appologize for misleading and making you ever doubt him.]  Hail King Peter!

Good tie in to what you noticed in the photo and then connecting it with the historical facts surrounding King Peter at that time.  Great detective work, Meister.  Isn't it fun to analyze old photos from the past?  A lot can be learned by doing so.   

Meister_000

Quote from: Rix Gins on January 27, 2016, 04:45:27 AM
Good tie in to what you noticed in the photo and then connecting it with the historical facts surrounding King Peter at that time.  Great detective work, Meister.  Isn't it fun to analyze old photos from the past?  A lot can be learned by doing so.

Ya, it is fun. [and you are such a gentleman] Thanks

Meister_000

Quote from: Rix Gins on January 26, 2016, 03:22:33 PM

From your clipping of the 1916 Hope College's newspaper "The Anchor"
Select text extracted and highlighted:

"Again, someone with a misconceived notion of democracy and an overwrought idea of personal and individual rights as demonstrated his belief in these rights on the college campus."

I just couldn't resist  :)
[and I will be sure to "borrow it" in future!]
Thanx Rix

Quote from: Meister_000 on January 27, 2016, 02:59:49 AM

I feel humbled and humiliating for immediately jumping to the conclusion that King Peter was just another one of inbred, sybaritic petty European monarchs who could be had by the sackful for a Serbian dinar in those days.  I'm barely worthy to clean up after his oxen.

On January 27th, 1916 the United Kingdom passed the The Military Service Act.  For the first time in the war conscription would be in
effect.   It's pretty impressive that the UK made it that far into the meat grinder without having to resort to the draft.

Every British male subject who

- on 15 August 1915 was ordinarily resident in Great Britain and who had attained the age of 19 but was not yet 41 and
- on 2 November 1915 was unmarried or a widower without dependent children

unless he met certain exceptions or had met the age of 41 before the appointed date, was deemed to have enlisted for general service with the colours or in the reserve and was forthwith transferred to the reserve. He now came under the controls specified in the Army Act. This was as of Thursday 2 March 1916.

Provision was made under Section 20 of the Reserve Forces Act 1882, for information being obtained from the man with regard to his preference for service in the Navy. The Admiralty had the first right of call on men who expressed this preference.

Men were encouraged to voluntarily enlist under the Group System (Derby Scheme) before the Act came into place.

Schedule of Exceptions (i.e. categories of men who were not deemed to have enlisted)

1. Men ordinarily resident in the Dominions abroad, or resident in Britain only for the purpose of their education or some other special purpose.
2. Existing members of the regular or reserve forces or of the Territorial Force who are liable for foreign service or who are, in the opinion of the Army Council, not suitable for foreign service.
3. Men serving in the Navy or Royal Marines or who are recommended for exception by the Admiralty.
4. Men in Holy Orders or regular ministers of any religious denomination.
5. Men who had served with the military or Navy and been discharged on grounds of ill-health or termination of service.
6. Men who hold a certificate of exemption or who have offered themselves for enlistment since 4 August 1914 but been rejected.

Rix Gins

News item from the sailing schooner Alice Cooke.  http://digitalcollections.lib.washington.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/transportation/id/856  Courtesy of the Honolulu Star Bulletin, January 27, 1916.

Rix Gins

From The Day Book, 100 years ago.  Everett True looses his temper again.

Quote from: Rix Gins on January 27, 2016, 04:07:35 PM
From The Day Book, 100 years ago.  Everett True looses his temper again.

Man, what a temper! He was kind of the Reid Fleming of his century!

Rix Gins

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on January 27, 2016, 04:13:51 PM
Man, what a temper! He was kind of the Reid Fleming of his century!

LOL  I had to look up the Red guy and you are right.  At least he's got a job, of sorts.  I don't think Everett worked, but I might be wrong.  I used to read his strip many years back, when I'd go to the local library and peruse old papers that had been converted onto micro film reels.

trostol

January 27 â€" Stjepan Filipović, a People's Hero of Yugoslavia (d.1942)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stjepan_Filipovi%C4%87