• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Cell Phone Range Extender Apps/Gizmos

Started by Uncle Duke, June 28, 2016, 12:07:16 PM

Uncle Duke

Do any of the available apps that claim to allow a cell phone to extend the range at which it can receive data/WiFi work? How about the cheesy looking metallic, patch-like antennas you are suppose to attach to the back of a cell phone?

My daughter just bought a home in the middle BF nowhere, I basically have spotty-to-no connectivity for about 15 minutes between the interstate and their house to connect to WiFi.  Suggestions appreciated.

starrmtn001

Quote from: Uncle Duke on June 28, 2016, 12:07:16 PM
Do any of the available apps that claim to allow a cell phone to extend the range at which it can receive data/WiFi work? How about the cheesy looking metallic, patch-like antennas you are suppose to attach to the back of a cell phone?

My daughter just bought a home in the middle BF nowhere, I basically have spotty-to-no connectivity for about 15 minutes between the interstate and their house to connect to WiFi.  Suggestions appreciated.

triola

My kids went through some of this when they were in the Kalispell area: AT&T monopoly, all other providers were 'roaming', derth of cell towers, mountainous terrain, low population density so not worth it to providers to invest in better coverage/data speeds.

Short answer: No, the cellphone printed antenna add-ons won't do it, but you might consider some of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Cell-Phones-Accessories-Phone-Signal-Boosters/zgbs/wireless/2407782011

The apps still depend on your connection, so no magic bullet there.

The kids ended up moving back after a few months so we didn't persue it any further, but the above is what I would have tried if they had stayed.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: triola on June 28, 2016, 05:02:30 PM
My kids went through some of this when they were in the Kalispell area: AT&T monopoly, all other providers were 'roaming', derth of cell towers, mountainous terrain, low population density so not worth it to providers to invest in better coverage/data speeds.

Short answer: No, the cellphone printed antenna add-ons won't do it, but you might consider some of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Cell-Phones-Accessories-Phone-Signal-Boosters/zgbs/wireless/2407782011

The apps still depend on your connection, so no magic bullet there.

The kids ended up moving back after a few months so we didn't persue it any further, but the above is what I would have tried if they had stayed.

Thanks for the advice.

albrecht

Might be totally different situation, but, my old condo was on a golf course that was between some hills, not big ones, but maybe a 100ft or so of limestone in the Hill Country. But close to town, actually was annexed. But cell signals were awful. AT&T finally gave 'mini-tower' boosters* to some people (I had moved by then.) But I recently went back to visit some friends and cell phone still sucked. I wasn't staying long so didn't bother but she said that I could get on her 'tower' by logging in and then would have cell via, I guess, the WiFi and then the internet to AT&T and then cell tower via internet (I guess?) Basically, AT&T told me, at the time, that the issue was several. The elevation, the high-tension power line, and an "unique" situation were we were between 3 towers almost precisely equidistant from each (so your cell phone would try to connect to 'best' signal but constantly be switching.) I semi-confirmed it with an old Nokia that showed you the name of the cell tower you were connected with.

*http://www.att.com/att/microcell/

cweb

There was a period of hype over "femtocells," which are basically cell phone towers that hook up to an internet connection and can serve a small amount of phones. Not sure if it would have the range you're looking for.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Femtocell

It's hard to think of a software solution to a largely hardware problem. In using a software solution, you're betting that your cell phone antenna can be either made more efficient or have its Tx/Rx power turned up. The former is tough because wouldn't your device's manufacturer already have optimized it off the assembly line? The latter is hard because there may be a balance between antenna power in the context of the phone's stability and FCC Tx/Rx power regulation.

Those are the issues as I see them. Hopefully there's a flaw somewhere which you can exploit to solve your problem. There are a wide range of cell phone signal boosters (from snake oil to enterprise level- so $50-$400-$3000+) but if the cell signal is struggling to get to the booster you may already be at a disadvantage. Good luck!

Delphi

I use this following technique and is the only working way.. Root the phone ď use custom radio and apn signals